Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It was years ago, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the MSQ that she was blind but pretending not to be. I don't remember exactly what made me think that, but it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Clarste posted:

It was years ago, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the MSQ that she was blind but pretending not to be. I don't remember exactly what made me think that, but it did.

Probably the scene where Matoya all but says it flat out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Your Computer posted:

IIRC it was explained during the Ivalice questline that literally everything is made up of aether, including intangible things like "thoughts" and "feelings"

it's.... honestly a bit of a mess

Well, real-world thoughts and feelings are bound by the physical characteristics that make up the brain. These same physical characteristics shared by everything in the known universe. So if the real world is entirely comprised of atoms and energy, FFXIV is made up of I guess atoms and aether. But aether is more anime, so the writers get to do cool things with it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can absolutely see some Garlean maniac trying to develop a device to destroy aether though it would probably be more like an evil ray.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished 3.0!

For people who might be interested I have been keeping track of my playtime at each milestone. These are for a first time player. I have only played as ninja so these times do not include any time leveling alts or crafters.

Total playtime at the completion of,
2.0 - 53
2.55 - 76
3.0 - 113

Onto 3.x!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tainen posted:

Finished 3.0!

For people who might be interested I have been keeping track of my playtime at each milestone. These are for a first time player. I have only played as ninja so these times do not include any time leveling alts or crafters.

Total playtime at the completion of,
2.0 - 53
2.55 - 76
3.0 - 113

Onto 3.x!

The 3.x stuff was a lot of fun, I thought. Enjoy!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

two pages ago and it's already forgotten but it was just a standard self-immolation reference. sorry about your anime fire. thanks for reading.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

I can absolutely see some Garlean maniac trying to develop a device to destroy aether though it would probably be more like an evil ray.

Aren't The burn and The desert around Eden what's name escapes me at the moment what happens when you remove all aether from things? so It'd be a desertification ray?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Azerban posted:

sorry about your anime fire.

worst mass murder in postwar japan history but ok

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kurieg posted:

Aren't The burn and The desert around Eden what's name escapes me at the moment what happens when you remove all aether from things? so It'd be a desertification ray?

The Empty.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Just got to Heavensward and I hate the new alphinaud voice

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

inferis posted:

He really grows into the role IMO.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The blind thing always confuses me because it's apparent she is, but then she has scenes looking at paintings in a cave and looking at the sky and such. It's implied she sees aether now instead of regular sight, but it's never been super clear how it works when she describes other things she sees normally that has nothing to do with aether.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Actually it’s less so that I hate the new one and more that I love the old one

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Azerban posted:

two pages ago and it's already forgotten but it was just a standard self-immolation reference. sorry about your anime fire. thanks for reading.

fuckin yikes dude. gently caress off.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i tried the cursed flamethrower optimization on my latest titania ex run

TWENTY EXTRA DPS :supaburn: :siren: :pcgaming: :vince: :asoiaf: :wooper:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

no, it's explained that Eden shifted the aether in The Empty so far towards the umbral that it stopped flowing entirely. The aether is still there, just "dormant".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Papalymo and Minfillia (spoilered just in case anyone here is still doing MSQ since I know there were a few in here earlier) are both dead for real though I guess its debatable how well known/liked either one was.

I would be thoroughly unsurprised if Papalymo came back

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

he just got captured and stuck in a garlean antimagic bubble

S.J.
May 19, 2008

inferis posted:

I had the same thought, but he definitely sounds like a prissy know it all, so

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People who have gotten DNC to 80, what's the verdict?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Azerban posted:

What a weird, callous reaction to 33 people being murdered.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't have it at 80 but I like it when 3 dancers decide me, a Dragoon, is the perfect dance partner at the same time so please more dancers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Archyduchess posted:

What a weird, callous reaction to 33 people being murdered.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

If we didn't see the body, they're not dead. Even if we did see the body, they still might not be dead.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kinda low damage that doesn't currently make up for the deficit with their current raid dps*, but fun as hell. Proc based, so their slow period can be a bit hmmm, but their burst window has a lot going on.

Shellman posted:

I don't have it at 80 but I like it when 3 dancers decide me, a Dragoon, is the perfect dance partner at the same time so please more dancers.

Standard finish doesn't stack so that's not great. You get Devilment though.

*Not saying they're bad by any stretch, but they're not a 100% raid slot like a lot of people were thinking.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 19, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

The blind thing always confuses me because it's apparent she is, but then she has scenes looking at paintings in a cave and looking at the sky and such. It's implied she sees aether now instead of regular sight, but it's never been super clear how it works when she describes other things she sees normally that has nothing to do with aether.

I assume the aetheric compositions of the paint and the rock are different enough that she can at least see the shape of the painting as a whole.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

I assume the aetheric compositions of the paint and the rock are different enough that she can at least see the shape of the painting as a whole.

She is obviously just reading books and things that a normal person would be able to do, so it seems it's really only an issue for her when some weird outlier comes along.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its fun to play but probably didn't need a 7% dps hit between the media build and launch build.

The biggest problem is that pugging on it is miserable since your contribution absolutely needs the other DPS in your group to be good or you're not really contributing enough (note: content right now obviously isn't hard enough for this to be a problem, but for those who care about their own performance a lot, its a downside).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibblebibble posted:

There is probably also a range limitation on what she can see this way as well, or at the very least, some kind of inverse square law for detail going on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

She is obviously just reading books and things that a normal person would be able to do, so it seems it's really only an issue for her when some weird outlier comes along.
I can absolutely buy that she's missing details even if she's learned how to read reliably and can see objects fifty feet away. the sky is usually held to be at least three hundred feet away

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its very fun and very mobile but the buffs don't really make up for how low your personal DPS is and I hope it gets some minor tweaks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

my perspective is a very casual one so I have no idea what sort of dps they're doing or anything, but I think it's a lot of fun! It was the class I went through ShB with and although it's very simple even at 80, it's a lot of fun to just dash around and press glowing buttons. The burst windows have a lot of button pressing, but even that is just pressing the normal buttons and weaving in feathers, and other than that I'm just kinda doing my 1-2 combo and pressing buttons as they light up.

it's pretty great for learning fights since you can move and attack at the same time and get three dashes with a pretty short cooldown, there is practically zero excuse to get hit by any mechanic ever and even if you're completely out of position it's easy to just dash back to where you're supposed to be before an attack lands. I also like throwing out tiny heals and buffs but I'm sure those are sub-optimal :shobon:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

my perspective is a very casual one so I have no idea what sort of dps they're doing or anything, but I think it's a lot of fun! It was the class I went through ShB with and although it's very simple even at 80, it's a lot of fun to just dash around and press glowing buttons. The burst windows have a lot of button pressing, but even that is just pressing the normal buttons and weaving in feathers, and other than that I'm just kinda doing my 1-2 combo and pressing buttons as they light up.

it's pretty great for learning fights since you can move and attack at the same time and get three dashes with a pretty short cooldown, there is practically zero excuse to get hit by any mechanic ever and even if you're completely out of position it's easy to just dash back to where you're supposed to be before an attack lands. I also like throwing out tiny heals and buffs but I'm sure those are sub-optimal :shobon:

The buffs are all good so throw them out all the time. The healing is pretty much ineffectual, but it's an oGCD and free so hammer that too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The buffs are all good so throw them out all the time. The healing is pretty much ineffectual, but it's an oGCD and free so hammer that too.
oh yeah I meant the heals, I'm obviously throwing out buffs at all times because I didn't play a dancer to not dance :colbert:

feels good to throw out the Shield Samba before a party-wide AoE and stuff like that too, but I'm assuming it doesn't stack with other similar buffs if other players are also throwing them out?

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Gruckles posted:

During Rak'tika I was kinda surprised that Y'shtola didn't get her vision back from taking a second trip through the lifestream. I was expecting them to take the chance to go back on the slowly dying thing, and have Emet even more strongly express "no really I just want to make everyone's soul whole again" to the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-EG0Wc84w

Also, isn't it still 5 years since the calamity? At this rate she'll be fine for however many expansions they want to run.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been playing SMN and SCH a bunch and I hate them so much that I seem to have flipped onto the other side of that wall, and now I like SCH despite doing way less damage and having a much harder time healing compared to WHM.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah I meant the heals, I'm obviously throwing out buffs at all times because I didn't play a dancer to not dance :colbert:

feels good to throw out the Shield Samba before a party-wide AoE and stuff like that too, but I'm assuming it doesn't stack with other similar buffs if other players are also throwing them out?

Unlike Red Mage you're not losing any dps by healing, so the heals are OK in my book.

Shield Samba explicitly doesn't stack with the Bard or Mech version, Troubadour and Tactician I think. It will stack with stuff like Sacred Soil, Dark Missionary, Temperance, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sunday Morning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-EG0Wc84w

Also, isn't it still 5 years since the calamity? At this rate she'll be fine for however many expansions they want to run.
I think the story is moving in something loosely resembling real time, at least up to the end of Stormblood. Like not super strictly, but "yeah, that banquet in Ul'dah was like 3 years ago or so? That sounds right."