Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

A 2.5 smallie is going to have some fight to it, to be sure!

Also I believe that it's a little easier on a bass's spine if you support its belly when you take a pic, especially with big bastards.

That would definitely be what I'd do if I didnt fish alone and not have anyone to take a pic. :( He soaked me with splash when I let him go, so he's likely all good.
Might have to pony up for a phone tripod or sonething.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

That would definitely be what I'd do if I didnt fish alone and not have anyone to take a pic. :( He soaked me with splash when I let him go, so he's likely all good.
Might have to pony up for a phone tripod or sonething.

Oh I'm sure he's fine and I didn't mean to single you out, I was just trying to speak in a best practices sort of way. It's way different when you see people holding like 8 lb bass by the lip and they're like buckling under their own weight.

Thanks for posting it! I don't fish for bass often since there are many better fish to eat, but smallies are scrappy as hell so I'm not bummed when I get one on the hook. I'm sure catching one on a trout setup was a lot of fun. :) I'm curious, though: do you catch a lot of trout on a wacky rig? I guess I figured that they'd be too hook-shy to go for it, but I don't know dick about catching trout on plastics, except for the time I caught a nice rainbow on a ned rig while fishing for bass.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Oh no problem, I didnt take it as a callout :)

Amazingly enough, the stocked rainbows loved the wacky worm. It's a bit of a weird kludge, I'm using a trout magnet jig with a powerbait natural trout worm. Earlier in the season some of the local guys were limiting out using similar setups, it was crazy. I got going a bit late so the trout are few and far between in the deep pools now. I'm just glad the bass like it too!
I'm gonna try up sizing to standard wacky worm since it's mostly bass now, but I have a fondness for light tackle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Flows on the South Platte around 600 CFS so, naturally I was catching trout on *checks notes* a #18 PMD

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Flows on the South Platte around 600 CFS so, naturally I was catching trout on *checks notes* a #18 PMD

How big were the trout? I spent a lot of my weekend making 1/64th oz jigs with #10 hooks and I am having a hard time fathoming a #18.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d say on average maybe 10-12”

But there are hogs that’ll swallow a #20 brassie if you drift it right.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I am away this week, but I plan on hitting the Eagle and probably Clear Creek once the flows aren’t absolutely bonkers.

St, Vrain hasn’t been bad, but it hasn’t been particularly good either.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
The good news: I went on a half day today and had just the best of times, I lost count of how many shorts calicos I caught and caught one nice legal that I will be coating in panko and frying up tomorrow night.

The bad news: I caught a big barracuda on my favorite rod, that Ritual Angling one that I posted a lil while back, and when I went to bounce him into the boat.... SNAP. Snapped it like 2.5 feet down from the tip and I'm pretty sad about it; I lost the fish to boot.

Bonus pic of a chewed up swim bait, they love this color out here, it's fun fishing these 5 inch swimbaits on a 1.5 oz jig head, you get some serious distance.

Calico katsu, delish.

UPDATE: I emailed Tackle Warehouse to ask if maybe what happened to my rod was covered under a warranty, turns out it was!! They even sent me a prepaid label to send back the broken rod. BUY STUFF FROM TACKLE WAREHOUSE, THEY ARE THE BEST.

UPDATE: The manufacturer wasn't so kind and helpful, lol. "Fishing a freshwater bass rod for barracuda on a half day boat and admittedly bouncing a fish doesn’t exactly qualify as a manufacturer defect. If you purchased the rod from Tackle Warehouse you can send it back with no questions asked, other wise I recommend fishing an inshore rod on half day excursions."

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 17, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I posted this in the ask/tell thread, but I forgot about this thread, hopefully no one minds me double posting :/

I haven't been on here much lately, but it's been an exciting year! I bought a boat! It's a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850VS, and we totally love it so far. It's a 'fish and ski' style boat, but it has the same hull design as Ranger's 'walleye' boats, so it has a deep hull and can handle rougher water. It also has the windshield pretty far forward, which leave a big wide cockpit, which is great for the kids(3 and 13). I'm absolutely in love, we got it at the end of May and I think we've been out 8 times or so around home and we took it for Canada for our 2nd trip up to Five Lakes Lodge near Red Lake, Ontario.

Here's the boat!

Our trip to Canada was amazing, I absolutely love the lake and the lodge, great owner, great fishing, just an overall great time. We got up there on the tail end of a mayfly hatch, so fishing wasn't quite as good from a numbers perspective as last year, but we still caught hundreds of fish and we did tie into some bigger fish. Last year our biggest walleye was 25.5", and our biggest northern was 35.5" I think. We had trouble catching Northern pike...on purpose, but I managed to catch three big ones, all while walleye fishing, which made for very exciting fights!

Here's a 36" northern caught on a lindy rig, medium light rod, 6 lb test mono. We were slow-trolling lindy rigs in ~16 feet of water and I got snagged on a rock, I ran to the back of the boat to try and lift it out and was able to free it from the snag. Immediately after it came loose from the rock it just got slammed by this fish. Put up a great fight that was more chaotic as we had the bimini top up:

If you zoom into this picture(if I uploaded these right), you can see my little hook just perfectly sitting in the corner of it's mouth:

This was a new personal best northern, 38", caught on my vertical jigging rod, which is a 5'10" medium power fast action rod with 8lb braid on it. We had just finished drifting over a reef that was loaded with walleyes, I decided to just turn the motor on and zoom back to start the drift over. Out of complete laziness, I didn't reel up my little 1/8th ounce jig and minnow. About ten seconds later, with my jig trolling along probably like 10 feet off bottom, it just gets clobbered. This one put up a long fight:

That personal best didn't last long, this one went 39", and put up an absolute legendary battle on 6 lb mono again. We were drifting with lindy's again across a point, I got a bite and missed the hookset. I reeled up to check my minnow and this monster glided up and just lazily grabbed my minnow right next to the boat, like 4" under the surface, it was wild! I didn't think there was any way my line was going to hold up, but against all odds, we landed her:

We caught walleye too!

And the biggest one we got, a nice 27.5":

Our last day the wind shifted and blew in a bunch of smoke/haze from the forest fires, it was pretty eerie:

I just love fishing up there, so many fish, absolutely beautiful and pristine landscapes, it's just paradise :), This is one of our favorite spots up there, lots of underwater rocks/structure off of this point:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
And before anyone says anything, I use lindy rig and spinner rig interchangeably, as I often fish them the same way and rarely if ever use bottom bouncers, rather I use the sliding 'lindy' sinker.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

this lil' fella was the biggest I caught on sunday. I need to find a new spot, this one is all babies...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I went fishing yesterday morning. My goals were two: practice with baitcaster reel and catch a catfish.

The ducks liked this spot so I gave it a shot. Ducks at Green Lake are fat as poo poo and don't care about people at all.

Line in the water on a gorgeous morning. I fished off the bottom, basically a Carolina rig except I used a 1 oz walking sinker instead of an egg sinker, with a red 2/0 octopus hook covered with gobs of nightcrawlers on a 18" leader.

My rod tip started going loving crazy, and ...

A pretty decent rainbow! The prevailing wisdom around here is that trout are hook shy, so I was loving shocked to see a 12" trout on a 2/0 hook. The Plano case was for scale. The shad dart jig that's out is not the big hook in question.

By the end of the day I got two trout and a pretty nice bullhead. I was hoping for a 12 lb channel cat, but I certainly am not complaining.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Have you ever stopped and wondered “how do the fish I catch get to where I catch them?”

Wonder no more.

https://twitter.com/kashthefuturist/status/1159610222148669440

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s rad as gently caress

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dangerllama posted:

Have you ever stopped and wondered “how do the fish I catch get to where I catch them?”

Wonder no more.

https://twitter.com/kashthefuturist/status/1159610222148669440

Human sized one would fuckin rule.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I went on my annual overnight tuna trip and I have some fish pics for you guys.

My two smaller fish

My biggest fish of the day

All the fish caught (30 passengers, 85 yellowfin)

The meat from my 3 fish

Bonus pic 1: A shovelnose guitar fish that I caught at the bait barge. I hooked and fought another one that was twice as big, every time I'd get it up to the boat it'd take off a drag peeling run, but the line snapped when I tried to get it into the boat.

Bonus pic 2: I caught a little horn shark too, but I didn't get a picture, so here's one I found on Google.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You maniac! This is incredible, dude. Excellent fish, excellent meat. Thanks for posting these. :)

More fish pics, my dudes.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You maniac! This is incredible, dude. Excellent fish, excellent meat. Thanks for posting these. :)

More fish pics, my dudes.

Thanks fishbro! I got worked so hard by these fish that I had to take a break. I wish I could have caught more, just to make the most of the trip, but by the time I had rejuvenated myself they had stopped biting and it was close to the time we had to head back to the dock. I've got enough meat to last me for quite a while though, so no biggie. I caught my biggest fish on a Daiwa Proteus MH rod with a Lexa 300 reel.

It's my inshore setup that I bought for fishing heavy jig heads with big swim baits for calicos and also for rock fishing on half day boat trips. I was using 40 lb braid with a 20 lb mono leader tied on to a size 2 hook, I had the drag set pretty loose because I was worried about busting off or pulling the hook, so the fight took longer than it should have. I'd get it close to the boat and it'd just dump all that line I claimed on it. That being said, I saw a lot of people pull hooks on their fish multiple times, whereas I was 3 for 4. The one I missed I either didn't let him completely eat the bait, or I just forgot to set the hook. It was about 5 seconds of pulling and then nothing.

I will hopefully have another interesting fish report for you guys in a couple weeks. I'm heading out to Kauai and my brother and are going out on a private charter on this boat for 6 hours.

I'm hoping for a 150-200 lb yellowfin. Or a billfish. I'd even be happy with a big rear end wahoo. I REALLY want to top my grandpa, though. Approximately 20 years ago, I went fishing in Kauai with my him and he caught this monster. I want nothing more than to catch something more impressive so that I can show him the picture. He gets so salty when I outfish him.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Trout time on the Yampa right now. Beautiful pulls and the trico hatches and BWO hatches were mind boggling.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tuna yield a shitton of meat per unit of length compared to many fish huh?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

the yeti posted:

Tuna yield a shitton of meat per unit of length compared to many fish huh?

Fish get bigger in saltwater and tuna are like open water meat torpedoes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I caught a feeesh. So far my biggest this year. He nailed that 13fishing ninja worm as soon as I got the slack reeled in and started my retieve. Little poo poo even managed to bend the tip of the spinner blade on my bladed swimbait hook during the fray. I got another blow up like 5ft from the bank, but wasn't able to get a good hookset and land him. Not bad for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Edit: holy hell, gently caress the imgur app.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 28, 2019

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Today was a good day.

This guy kinda freaked me out though.

Fauxshiz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 30, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The lighting on that first picture is great.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Had a slow few weeks on the park pond until I decided to dig up some bait from my yard a couple of days ago. Catfish seem to go loving nuts over grubs.
This guy was my first and only catch of the day, as soon as I saw the size of him I decided to head on home and turn him into slabs of meat. Roughly 3 lbs and somewhere between 18.5 and 20 inches. Took like two minutes to tire him out and finally get him on shore.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Did a bit of bait collecting off a local pier yesterday evening. Nothing huge but fun on the light rods. I've vac sealed these for when the weather warms up in a few months.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I tried taking a classy photo, but this bastard wouldn’t have any of it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

I tried taking a classy photo, but this bastard wouldn’t have any of it.

He's just embarrassed is all. :kimchi:

gay picnic defence posted:

Did a bit of bait collecting off a local pier yesterday evening. Nothing huge but fun on the light rods. I've vac sealed these for when the weather warms up in a few months.

I'm stoked to see what you catch with them!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I caught a fish in Kauai.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Oh no!

Or is it waa hoo!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Onoooooo! My brother got a blue marlin, no pics though because the hook pulled when the deckhand was pulling it up by the leader.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

Nice hoo, I've heard they go pretty hard.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Nice hoo, I've heard they go pretty hard.

I didn't really get a chance to play him and enjoy the fight unfortunately. We picked him up over the reef when we were coming back in and the captain said the tiger sharks would get it and to just grind it in as fast as possible. It was fairly hard to straight grind him though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I tried using 5" senkos for the first time this weekend. Turns out they uhhh... work. Dunno if you guys knew that :v:

The little rock bass were extremely spunky and even the tiny ones kept hitting my lure.

this last one was an absolute porker

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hell yeah, I'm glad you finally caught some fish in fresh water out here! Rock bass are a blast.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I had a decent Saturday morning on the water. My 4th time kayaking and the first time I've actually caught bigger fish. The rush of this loving guy trying to pull me around like he was a tugboat was something serious. I wasn't even catfishing, he bit a chatterbait with a ribbontail worm trailing behind it.

This guy didn't fight nearly as hard but he may be the biggest bass I've caught so far. Or maybe they just look bigger in a kayak than they do on the bank :D I need to get a scale and a hog trough.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Nice fish. Use your fingers, you baby

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

I usually do! I like the grips in the kayak, though.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My buddy invited me out on his friend's boat, I said yes of course. The 4 of us split bait and gas, came out to like $80 for the day. Hooked up on a tiny yellowtail at our first stop but the hook popped... and that was all I caught in regards to fish. I did catch 2 of these assholes though.

And my buddy got a nice yellerfin, bonus points to him for eating the heart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

My buddy invited me out on his friend's boat, I said yes of course. The 4 of us split bait and gas, came out to like $80 for the day. Hooked up on a tiny yellowtail at our first stop but the hook popped... and that was all I caught in regards to fish. I did catch 2 of these assholes though.

And my buddy got a nice yellerfin, bonus points to him for eating the heart!

Slaughterhouse!