Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bayonetta 2 doesn't have instant kill qtes and gives you chainsaws, therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mayonetta

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
10-2 is my favorite but I just mean that in casual sense, not “let’s make lists.” Cool job system, interesting thematic stuff with what to do in a world after its protagonist is gone. Dressing up is cool.

It has a roguelike mode for some reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stagger_Lee posted:

10-2 is my favorite but I just mean that in casual sense, not “let’s make lists.” Cool job system, interesting thematic stuff with what to do in a world after its protagonist is gone. Dressing up is cool.

It has a roguelike mode for some reason.

We need more rpgs with job systems imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

katkillad2 posted:

Give us Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder you cowards. I don't even know if it's a good game, just fascinated it's never had a console release.

Was that the arcade release with the pitchfork using halfling with healing apple magic? Man, that game was good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

We need more rpgs with job systems imo

this is just called real life

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

this is just called real life

I can't change my job and get a cool costume with a press of a button in real life

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

I can't change my job and get a cool costume with a press of a button in real life

button: quit job
new job: hobo freelancer
costume: anything you like

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Quick review of MUA3 after like 10 minutes of play...I like it? I don't like the camera and can already tell it's going to be a problem. The skills system is ill-explained and menus are puny and seem cheap. But I think I'm having fun with it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It seems pretty drat good. I didn't realise it was going to bring in the musou style endgame content.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

button: quit job
new job: hobo freelancer
costume: anything you like

i did this and my costume is just boxer shorts
my job skills are staying at home and playing switch on the toilet

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i did this and my costume is just boxer shorts
my job skills are staying at home and playing switch on the toilet

When you master Freelancer, you can add the latter skill onto any profession afterwards, but you have to be careful as certain boss encounters will punish you badly for having it equipped.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

tensai posted:

Quick review of MUA3 after like 10 minutes of play...I like it? I don't like the camera and can already tell it's going to be a problem. The skills system is ill-explained and menus are puny and seem cheap. But I think I'm having fun with it.

Yeah I'm still playing with the camera speed and deciding if i want to go classic or not, but everything else seems good to great. I like the look of the menus, everything is snappy including the music. Just unlocked the big first group, gonna see how everyone plays.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1151981758201700353

👩‍⚖️

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFX2 is good because of the job system and free form nature of the main story and all the crazy side stuff but also feels like they made it in one weekend with leftover FFX assets

The job system and chaining stuff did not age super well. They did it much better in later FF games.

FFX is still a good game. The music is still some of the greatest in a video game

FF9 is still very charming
FF8 I’m curious to replay but it had very bad broken gameplay and a weird story
FF7 aged like crap unless you have insane nostalgia for the game you played in 1999

FF12 is a single player MMO and your feelings on it will tie to that statement

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Guess I’ll wait for 8 or 9

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A singleplayer MMO would have tremendously more gameplay than 12 has.

7 is good, its just the aesthetic is weird and the translation makes a hard story tougher to follow

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
FF10 and 12 are among my favorites. 10 has good characters and I consider it to be the most emotional game in the series. 12 doesn't have interesting characters in your party beyond Balthier and possibly Ashe, but it makes up for it by oozing atmosphere. The story may be simple at its core but the world is well fleshed out and the faux oldspeak plus politicking makes it feel like you're watching Star Wars as imagined by some previously undiscovered Renaissance playwright.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I just realized that a brand new Fire Emblem is coming in a week, on the same day as a brand new Tarantino movie. Next weekend's gonna be dope.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Argue posted:

the faux oldspeak plus politicking makes it feel like you're watching Star Wars as imagined by some previously undiscovered Renaissance playwright.

actually it just makes it sound exhaustingly pretentious. you can practically hear alexander o smith translating everything with one hand

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF12 is a single player MMO and your feelings on it will tie to that statement
people keep saying this and it makes no sense

it doesn't play like an MMO in any way, the structure isn't like an MMO, the combat isn't like an MMO, I guess it kinda looks like one? I love MMOs and thought FFXII would be right up my alley because of how people described it like this, but FFXII has literally none of the things I enjoy about an MMO in it so :shrug:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thread consensus about screen protectors? I bought the anfilm one and then read about the adhesive melting on the screen surface from the device’s heat.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The one thing I like in XII is the kickass bestiary.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its called drift because your money drifts into the toilet

and walks away

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did any news come out about Romancing SaGa 3's release? I'm pining here. That game was my poo poo on ZSNES back in the day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF12 is very love-or-hate it. It's pretty drat open, though the start is slow and takes awhile to where you can really go exploring. The gambit system is simple but is meant to automate simple tasks so you can focus on more specialized commands during hunts, which are the real meat of the game. The story puts less focus on your characters' actions and more on the world in general, a bit like FFT in a way, but there's still character development and growth and all that.

Best I can recommend is watch some videos of the gameplay to see if you'd like it. If it doesn't seem like it's for you, skip it. If it looks interesting, go for it. Goons are being weirdly vitriolic about this game but some people do love it and have it as their favorite, so it's worth at least checking and seeing if it meshes with your gameplay preferences.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

7 is pretty good
10 is very good
9 is the best

These are the rules.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I mean there is a continuous story but it’s basically King Boo getting loose somehow and Luigi and Gadd have to stop him.

The characters and the vibe is really charming, but you don’t need to have a deep understanding of Luigi lore to play any of them.

Stupid question I know, but people were talking about Luigi's Mansion being some sort of psychological horror like Silent Hill. Never played, I might one day, I just haven't bothered or been that interested, but are they even remotely scary?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

people keep saying this and it makes no sense

it doesn't play like an MMO in any way, the structure isn't like an MMO, the combat isn't like an MMO, I guess it kinda looks like one? I love MMOs and thought FFXII would be right up my alley because of how people described it like this, but FFXII has literally none of the things I enjoy about an MMO in it so :shrug:

People have spewed this nonsense for fourteen years now. I think it's mostly from people who haven't played an MMO? Like, I keep hearing it plays like an MMO, but I've never played an MMO on earth that plays anything like FFXII, not even FFXI.

It... plays like a Final Fantasy game, where you can instead of relying on menuing every option, you can set a series of Condition X, Action Y in priority order based on what you think you can do. They rarely hold up on their own in trickier fights unless you tailor them to the encounter (so, the same prepwork that goes into any other challenging FF boss.) I guess the main problem is that it feels like XII was built assuming players would care about the Clan Hunts and Espers and would actually go and do those but it sounds like virtually everyone who complains about the game never went to go do even some of the earliest hunts because that's where most of the more interesting bits of FFXII mechanical exploration comes in. But the main campaign is really simple in comparison, and if you run from story objective to story objective you'll hit a few stumbling blocks here and there but nothing that will challenge you to radically alter your approach.

12's not one of my favorites- I don't think it's a particularly great game- but it's failings are almost never the hyperbolic nonsense people actually spout that's been part of some weird game of game criticism telephone since... god, what'd be the Patient Zero for this? That Penny Arcade comic on the game that came out months before anyone on the staff actually played it? The problem with Gambits is that they expose the greater problem with a vast majority of encounter design in jRPGs in that random encounters just don't MATTER- something they tackled in the very next game in the main series- and remove some of the distraction from some of the game's bigger issues like how weak the core cast of the game is outside Ashe, Vayne, and Vaan, or just how long it takes to go anywhere or do anything in it's big empty levels filled with random encounters you automate your responses to and little else unless you're engaging with the hunts. Or how much more interesting the backdrop of the world is, with all it's colorful races and intermingled politics and clans and judges and this greater war between two colossal nations gobbling everyone in between them up and how dull and boring the Occuria= y'know-the actual plot of FFXII from the perspective of the party- is in comparison to literally anything else in the world (a Matsuno trademark- much like how the War of the Lions is the cool part of Final Fantasy Tactics and the Zodiac Brave Story is the boring stupid stock video game plot you actually wind up dealing with for the back half of the game)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nothing is scarier than luigi's mansion

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

People have spewed this nonsense for fourteen years now. I think it's mostly from people who haven't played an MMO? Like, I keep hearing it plays like an MMO, but I've never played an MMO on earth that plays anything like FFXII, not even FFXI.

It... plays like a Final Fantasy game, where you can instead of relying on menuing every option, you can set a series of Condition X, Action Y in priority order based on what you think you can do. They rarely hold up on their own in trickier fights unless you tailor them to the encounter (so, the same prepwork that goes into any other challenging FF boss.) I guess the main problem is that it feels like XII was built assuming players would care about the Clan Hunts and Espers and would actually go and do those but it sounds like virtually everyone who complains about the game never went to go do even some of the earliest hunts because that's where most of the more interesting bits of FFXII mechanical exploration comes in. But the main campaign is really simple in comparison, and if you run from story objective to story objective you'll hit a few stumbling blocks here and there but nothing that will challenge you to radically alter your approach.

12's not one of my favorites- I don't think it's a particularly great game- but it's failings are almost never the hyperbolic nonsense people actually spout that's been part of some weird game of game criticism telephone since... god, what'd be the Patient Zero for this? That Penny Arcade comic on the game that came out months before anyone on the staff actually played it? The problem with Gambits is that they expose the greater problem with a vast majority of encounter design in jRPGs in that random encounters just don't MATTER- something they tackled in the very next game in the main series- and remove some of the distraction from some of the game's bigger issues like how weak the core cast of the game is outside Ashe, Vayne, and Vaan, or just how long it takes to go anywhere or do anything in it's big empty levels filled with random encounters you automate your responses to and little else unless you're engaging with the hunts. Or how much more interesting the backdrop of the world is, with all it's colorful races and intermingled politics and clans and judges and this greater war between two colossal nations gobbling everyone in between them up and how dull and boring the Occuria= y'know-the actual plot of FFXII from the perspective of the party- is in comparison to literally anything else in the world (a Matsuno trademark- much like how the War of the Lions is the cool part of Final Fantasy Tactics and the Zodiac Brave Story is the boring stupid stock video game plot you actually wind up dealing with for the back half of the game)

It invites comparison to an MMO by virtue of a combat system that consists of auto-attacking while you go for a bathroom break, sidequests that ask you to Kill X Enemies or run around and collect from Y harvest points, a really inexcusable amount of walking from point A to B across vast, empty exterior locales, and generally being really loving boring.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Woozy posted:

It invites comparison to an MMO by virtue of a combat system that consists of auto-attacking while you go for a bathroom break, sidequests that ask you to Kill X Enemies or run around and collect from Y harvest points, a really inexcusable amount of walking from point A to B across vast, empty exterior locales, and generally being really loving boring.

have you played an mmo in the last 20 years

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cool to hear UA3 is actually good. I’ll give it a go.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Yes and so did the other thousand people who independently and simultaneously thought to characterize FFXII as "MMO-like" and have been taking up this argument for over a decade.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cool to hear UA3 is actually good. I’ll give it a go.

i used one of my vouchers. probably use the other on Fire Emblem already

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

yes

Woozy posted:

for example, per my experience with it this describes ff14 to a tee

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Woozy posted:

See, this is the game of telephone I'm talking about.

1) I cannot think of an MMO you can go to the bathroom in the middle of even a trash encounter and not come back to a dead character past, like, the EQ1 era. You know what game I CAN put a rubber band down on the attack button, walk away for four hours, and come back to a thriving group of characters? Final Fantasy VI, on the raft. This isn't MMO encounter design, this is lovely jRPG combat design using some MMO UI elements. It's bad, but it's bad in the same way random encounters in Final Fantasies IV-X are also bad. It's bad in the way the random encounters in Dragon Quest 7 or Xenosaga or Shadow Hearts are bad. It's bad in the way your twentieth Zubat encounter in Mt. Moon is bad. This isn't an MMO thing- hell, this is the opposite of an MMO problem, where trash is repetitive not because they're completely effortless and just take time, but because they're JUST hard enough to require action and input and attention, but don't diversify their threat enough to force you to do anything different from the first trash mob you fought to the fiftieth set of trash mobs you fought except maybe that one requires an interrupt at some point. If you hate MMO combat and want to just play some jRPG, then FFXII is exactly what you're looking for.

And as said, that doesn't get you through any of the game's tougher fights. They really should have tied clan rank to story progress somehow to actually get people to interact a little more with the combat system, but it's definitely a black mark on FFXII that you can reach the end credits with a minimum of effort if you can't be assed because they forgot to add much spice to the main story bosses.

2) Sidequests asking you kill X monsters are... not a thing in XII? It pulls it once? Unless you're complaining about hunts, but those are boss fights, not Bear rear end Collection. That's Monster Hunter's influence being felt all the way back in 2006. Go Fetch X Things is something that comes up couple times early in the game, but it's such a stock RPG quest I have no idea why people single out MMOs (or FFXII) for it. You've gathered potions for cows in Baldur's Gate or chased down frogs for swag in FFIX, Gathering cactus on one occasion crosses the line? Like, I don't even KNOW how this became so associated with XII in particular because it's just not a thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

You've gathered potions for cows in Baldur's Gate or chased down frogs for swag in FFIX, Gathering cactus on one occasion crosses the line? Like, I don't even KNOW how this became so associated with XII in particular because it's just not a thing.

you have to hunt a billion bear asses just to unlock equipment in ff12

also it became associated with ff12 because if you don't enjoy the hunts, then there's not really anything else to enjoy. well i guess if you like the mandatory chop trading plot point, i'm sure someone did.

i dunno where people get off saying "oh it's a game of telephone misinformation" like i didn't fuckin slog my way through that lovely game for dozens of hours when i was a teenager who assumed there was going to be some kind of payoff for his time investment. but there wasn't, at least for me

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Stupid question I know, but people were talking about Luigi's Mansion being some sort of psychological horror like Silent Hill. Never played, I might one day, I just haven't bothered or been that interested, but are they even remotely scary?

They were very obviously joking