Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just join the military and get a posting as a field exercise evaluator and get paid to go camping with Pelican coolers :smug:

don’t actually though they’re so heavy and bulky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I have a couple RTIC's and I've been happy with them. Still not sure if I'm sold on the worth of rotomolded(I use them for hunting trips).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

armorer posted:

So what rotomolded cooler hits the best price/performance ratio? I could use one for some of the climbing trips I go on.

Costco has also been carrying roto coolers under the Cascade Mountain Tech brand (same as their awesome $30 carbon poles). As far as I know, they were one of the best deals on roto coolers you could find aside from Monoprice.

Their 45 Quart is $149 online but was recently $119 in store (Same size yeti is $300, Rtic $181).
https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-45-quart-Roto-Molded-Cooler.product.100476367.html

The 80qt was $199 in store and $229 (Yeti is 449, rtic $300).
https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-80QT-Roto-Molded-Cooler.product.100480699.html

They also carried a soft cooler (Coho I think) for $50 in store.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1X83GC/?tag=becore-20

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Direct link to the monoprice trekking poles:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15319&seq=1&format=2

I have over 500 miles on mine and still going strong. Will purchase again if/when they die. I see no reason to ever spend $125+ on Black Diamond poles which are just as likely to break as these.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because some people place a lot of value in having a flashy high end name on their gear!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had to replace mine after maybe a hundred miles after forgetting them at a trailhead :smith:

But that's a case of me failing the poles, not them failing me :unsmith:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love stranger presents.

I have a complete undamaged REI Passage 1 tent that I found in its stuff sack in the woods. Definitely hadn’t been moved in awhile but it was easy to clean and defunk the footprint that the rest was wrapped in.

Pretty sure it’s not haunted.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

I love stranger presents.

I have a complete undamaged REI Passage 1 tent that I found in its stuff sack in the woods. Definitely hadn’t been moved in awhile but it was easy to clean and defunk the footprint that the rest was wrapped in.

Pretty sure it’s not haunted.

congrats on your new ghosts

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
How do you wash the lingering smell of rape out of a tent?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Woah hey thread. Did we already do shelters?

Anyone have a camp shelter they like, to go over picnic tables and whatnot?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Dangerllama posted:

Woah hey thread. Did we already do shelters?

Anyone have a camp shelter they like, to go over picnic tables and whatnot?

Car camping with a ton of room? Giant EZ-UP.

Not a ton of room? Bring a large tarp (8x10, 10x10, 10x12, etc.)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Talking about shelters any UK goons here who have any experience with Trekkertent? I was looking at tarptents but getting one to the UK becomes crazy expensive.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 16, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife suddenly got the idea that she wants to go camping with the dog this weekend, despite the fact that we've never been camping outside of an overnight canoe trip five years ago where we were given all of our gear. As such, we need a tent and sleeping bag for Babby's First Camping Trip, which will just be one night at a state park in Eastern PA. I'm trying not to spend too much since she might end up hating the experience, so what are some good starter tents and sleeping bags if I can't find anyone around me with stuff I can borrow?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

C-Euro posted:

My wife suddenly got the idea that she wants to go camping with the dog this weekend, despite the fact that we've never been camping outside of an overnight canoe trip five years ago where we were given all of our gear. As such, we need a tent and sleeping bag for Babby's First Camping Trip, which will just be one night at a state park in Eastern PA. I'm trying not to spend too much since she might end up hating the experience, so what are some good starter tents and sleeping bags if I can't find anyone around me with stuff I can borrow?

Assuming that you are car camping, don't bother getting a sleeping bag. Just bring some pillows, a sheet, and a blanket. It's super hot out now so you don't really need anything fancy. An air pad would make sleeping a lot more comfortable, but you can also just sleep on top of a folded comforter or something.

Basically I'm saying you just need a tent, and can use whatever bedding you have at home otherwise.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

C-Euro posted:

If you're really unsure whether you'll use it again, REI rents equipment (including tents). Maybe other places do too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

armorer posted:

Assuming that you are car camping, don't bother getting a sleeping bag. Just bring some pillows, a sheet, and a blanket. It's super hot out now so you don't really need anything fancy. An air pad would make sleeping a lot more comfortable, but you can also just sleep on top of a folded comforter or something.

Basically I'm saying you just need a tent, and can use whatever bedding you have at home otherwise.

That makes sense, we're both fairly hot sleepers so we don't need a ton of insulation at this time of year. And yes this won't be anything too off the grid, the campground we looked at has standing toilets and showers. She basically just wants to sleep outside for a night and walk around through nature a bunch the rest of the time.

incogneato posted:

If you're really unsure whether you'll use it again, REI rents equipment (including tents). Maybe other places do too.

Thanks, not sure if there's an REI anywhere near us but I'll look into it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

For a first time car camping experience, focus on the basics and don't overdo it right away. Try to rent or borrow whatever you can at first. The nice thing about car camping is you don't need the best of anything for it to be comfortable and enjoyable since you can unload it right from your car to your campsite. Weight and size really aren't an issue compared to weight conscious backpacking gear.

Tent - For car camping, anything will do but a little extra room is nice for moving around and comfort etc) Look for something with mesh vents. Tents get hot in the summer so something that can breathe will be more comfortable. For you, your wife and a dog, look for a 4 person tent at the minimum, likely more like a 6 person. When they measure tents in "persons" its usually how many small adult bodies can lay on the floor touching shoulder to shoulder, not very practical. If you are buying a tent, I wouldn't go hog wild in case you hate camping. Also, the more complicated the tent looks, the harder it usually is to put together. Dome tents are usually the easiest to assemble. Also try putting it up at home once or twice before you get to the campsite. I definitely suggest borrowing or renting if possible. Otherwise you're looking at $100-200 minimum for a decent sized dome tent. Coleman is usually the lower level stuff suitable for a few seasons of car camping. They are heavy, cheap materials and not the most durable but they work. Their 4-6 person dome tents run between $50 and $100. Eureka is the next brand up on the list that makes decent stuff, nicer than most coleman tents and they start around $100 and go up from there.

Sleep stuff - Its car camping so you have no reason not to be comfortable. Get an air mattress big enough for the both of you or two smaller ones. They are $20 from amazon for a queen size. Just make sure whatever you get will actually fit in your tent and find some way of inflating it other than your mouth. They make pumps that connect to your car that are like $10-15. You can also use a trash bag and a hair tie but its cumbersome and takes time to do. Bring a fitted sheet for the air mattress as the materials are usually annoying to lay on. Bring another sheet for above you and blankets for on top. Check the forecast for overnight lows where you'll be going to plan for those temps. Maybe bring some long underwear or something to sleep in if it gets cold. The worst part about camping etc is being cold when you're trying to sleep as it will prevent you from sleeping comfortably making experience miserable. Also consider something for your dog to lay on and cover up with if it does get cold. I would also bring a towel or something to wipe them down with before getting into the tent for the night. Just as a heads up, a lot of dogs don't do well in tents at first. They can hear and smells things through the tent so it might keep them awake/anxious. I usually combat this by trying to wear my dog out during the day.

Food - Buy or borrow a basic chest cooler big enough to carry a weekend worth of ice and food. A 48QT coleman cooler is perfect for 2 people for a weekend, they usually run $15-20. The key to keeping your food cold all weekend is to not open the lid unless you have to. Freezing some of your foods like hot dogs can cause them to stay cold longer and act as an ice pack. As the ice melts, its going to create a pool of water. Keep your foods in a ziplock or on top of the water if possible. Plan your meals ahead if you can and keep them somewhat simple. Normal barbecue foods are simple to make and require few ingredients. You can also pre cook some meals at home and bring them with (cooking chili and freezing it) so all you have to do is reheat at camp. Most campgrounds have fire pits at each site, some also have the grates to cook on. If they don't you might want to consider how you will be cooking your food. A propane camp stove is a nice alternative to cooking over a campfire ($40 plus the mini propane tanks $3). If you have a DONT LEAVE YOUR FOOD OUT. It will attract animals like raccons, squirrels, chipmunks etc. Eastern PA does have black bears so you might want to look into your state park that you're going to and check with how to store your food. Each park might have different methods. I would suggest not keeping food of any kind in your tent or out in the open. Also, bring trash bags.

Other stuff - Bug spray, sun block, camp chairs, paper towel, soap of some sort for cleaning you/dishes, a big jug of water for drinking/cooking/cleaning, flashlights or headlamps for when it gets dark, deck of cards or a good book, a knife or scissors for opening food etc. I generally shy away from speakers of any sort because the noise travels to other camp sites and can be seen as rude but honestly most car camping campgrounds, everyone has music playing so just be mindful of the volume. Disposable cutlery/plates/cups come in handy unless you want to bring reusable stuff and do dishes.

Honestly, you can go as simple or as glamorous as you want. Sometimes its nice to go simple and other times its nice to cook really good meals and have a lot of luxuries with you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do not under any circumstances forget the bag of marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. Also get a couple campfire sticks.

You can't legally describe anything you're doing as camping unless you have these items, that's how important they are.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Do not under any circumstances forget the bag of marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. Also get a couple campfire sticks.

You can't legally describe anything you're doing as camping unless you have these items, that's how important they are.

This is the most important post in this thread.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lots of places rent gear, I used to go through the local university, so if you really don’t want to risk buying something you’ll never again use, maybe call a university, community rec center, or sporting goods store?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Note for air mattresses - they are poo poo for insulation in cold weather. You'll need to use a sleeping bag on them, or put a comforter between you and the mattress.

edit - I know most people here are into backpacking, but is there a thread for elaborate and overdone car camping/glamping/overlanding setups?

Edit edit - anyone use bots to book sites? https://thebolditalic.com/how-tech-is-deciding-who-gets-to-go-camping-7481c587d94

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 16, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

xzzy posted:

Bailey's for dipping roasted marshmallows.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Verman posted:

As the ice melts, its going to create a pool of water. Keep your foods in a ziplock or on top of the water if possible.
Great post, but I want to add in that (at least around here) many super markets carry dry ice. Don't let it touch anything you don't want freezer burned. Especially your skin.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also, those reusable freezer packs that come in the blue apron and ship to home meal services. Those things work great because they stay frozen for a really long time and they are reusable. They also don't cause a pool of water when they thaw but they may leak due to the packaging over time so you might want to double bag them with a ziplock. Luckily the inside goo isn't toxic or harmful so you can just rinse it off.

In addition to hot dog sticks, HOBO PIES are one of my favorite things to bring car camping. Seriously delicious and so versatile. You can make grilled cheeses, pizza, fruit pies, omlet/quiches ... so many possibilities. I know someone who made brownies/cakes in it. White bread and any fruit pie filling are incredible.

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a thread for elaborate and overdone car camping/glamping/overlanding setups?

Not really that I know of. The big three threads I frequent (that also get any responses) are:

Hiking & Backpacking Megathread II: Still afraid of bears Lots of backpackers and hikers but we touch on car camping etc from time to time.

Backpacking and Camping Gear Megathread! (THIS THREAD) which is part of the Take a Hike subthread Mostly a gear thread but not just tailored to backpacking, thats just who tends to be the most vocal. There's lots of talks of kayaks, canoes, car camping stuff etc. Just depends on where the conversation goes.

Neckbeards in the bush. Does anal in the woods make a sound? This is in the firing range so it draws a slightly different crowd than the other threads which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing.

There may be an overlanding thread in AA but I haven't seen any and haven't really looked for one. Despite what a mall parking lot full of lifted jeeps might suggest, proper overlanding is a relatively niche hobby. SA in general doesn't seem to get a ton of traction in the outdoor threads so lumping it into AA would probably be a good call seeing as the vehicle is such a massive part of it. I think a lot of people have 4x4s and go offroad once in a while but seemingly fewer people do actual multi day overland adventures. As for camping/glamping, I would say just lump it into one of the existing threads. As much as I enjoy minimalist backpacking, glamping is nice too and I know I'm not alone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Also, those reusable freezer packs that come in the blue apron and ship to home meal services. Those things work great because they stay frozen for a really long time and they are reusable. They also don't cause a pool of water when they thaw but they may leak due to the packaging over time so you might want to double bag them with a ziplock. Luckily the inside goo isn't toxic or harmful so you can just rinse it off.

They can seep their contents out over long periods, I had a couple I left in the cooler through the winter and they had oozed impossible to clean crap all over the inside.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The laces on my otherwise-great oboz trail shoes are squishy as hell and don’t stay tied worth a poo poo. What’s a decent replacement lace?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

the yeti posted:

The laces on my otherwise-great oboz trail shoes are squishy as hell and don’t stay tied worth a poo poo. What’s a decent replacement lace?

Tie them like this, and they won't come undone.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I've used this knot on everything from combat boots, FiveFingers to my everyday dress shoes for the office, it never comes undone.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

-Anders posted:

I've used this knot on everything from combat boots, FiveFingers to my everyday dress shoes for the office, it never comes undone.

Oh huh, allmost a square knot with the second overhand made of loops? I’ll give it a shot :tipshat:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

-Anders posted:

This knot is great. A footwear salesperson at REI showed me that one, it was very much a :aaa: moment, I wish I'd let the supervisor know how good she was at the time. You can also put one extra twist in step 1 to help lock the knot in place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Learning the Ian Knot (not the secure one) changed how I do my daily shoes too. I don't think I can even remember how to do the traditional hoop-loop-swoop thing we all were taught as kids.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chard posted:

one extra twist in step 1 to help lock the knot in place.

Yup, I do one of those before the speed hooks on my over ankles and it makes a huge difference.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

edit - I know most people here are into backpacking, but is there a thread for elaborate and overdone car camping/glamping/overlanding setups?

Edit edit - anyone use bots to book sites? https://thebolditalic.com/how-tech-is-deciding-who-gets-to-go-camping-7481c587d94

Post it up here! I love glamping, I’ve got a queen double height air mattress and Coleman 6 person insta cabin for when the gf and I go out car camping, and those things are an absolute quality of life improvements—I love being able to stand up in the tent. Same with my Everest dual burner propane camp stove and cast iron cookware, highly recommend.

Also a side note on pop up shelters, Aldi’s just had one recently with built in mosquito netting. A+ buy to pop up over a picnic table.

I haven’t been using bots, but my strategy for booking Ohio State Park sites in high demand (Eg Kelley’s Island) is to figure out when the reservation window opens (6 months) and be squatting on the computer right then and there. Otherwise try checking out one of the less popular parks —- might find something even cooler than you expected! Some of my favorite places are spots I would have never thought much of until I got to visit there.

Verman posted:

In addition to hot dog sticks, HOBO PIES are one of my favorite things to bring car camping. Seriously delicious and so versatile. You can make grilled cheeses, pizza, fruit pies, omlet/quiches ... so many possibilities. I know someone who made brownies/cakes in it. White bread and any fruit pie filling are incredible.

:bisonyes:

This is god tier camping food, especially the pizzas

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Looks like the MSR whatever integrated stove/pot is the current pick for best overall backpacking setup. But I don’t want to drop $240 or thereabouts, and I already have a Snow Peak gigapower (albeit a 15 year old model; do they change much?)

Is there a current recommended backpacking pot? I see the GSI Pinnacle Dualist is highly rated by Backpacker.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dangerllama posted:

Looks like the MSR whatever integrated stove/pot is the current pick for best overall backpacking setup. But I don’t want to drop $240 or thereabouts, and I already have a Snow Peak gigapower (albeit a 15 year old model; do they change much?)

Is there a current recommended backpacking pot? I see the GSI Pinnacle Dualist is highly rated by Backpacker.

I just use MSR’s pocket rocket 2 stove kit. It was like 80 bucks including the actual stove, packs down well and boils enough water for any kind of food/drink I make. I’ve also cooked in it just fine but I honestly prefer just boiling water for packaged meals to save my lazy rear end from having to clean it in the woods.

How big a pot do you need?

Edit: if you just want cookwear and aren’t looking to replace your older stove, my buddy has the ~100$ Snow Peak titanium pot set and loves it. I’ve also cooked using it and it’s both good and light.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For what it's worth, I don't like the integrated stove and pot systems. They're expensive and big.I prefer the pocket rocket and a separate pot. I have an msr or gsi pot (can't remember) because it's aluminum and has a ceramic non stick coating which actually works. All my cooking poo poo packs into it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

second the PR2, it's all you need. if you need to melt snow or w/e you should be using white gas anyway.

For pot i use the Toaks 750 titanium mug, think it cost me $20 and cooks in all heat sources including fires

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

+1 for the msr pot. Simple as it gets and there's no guilt if it gets dented or scratched because it's relatively cheap.

My only dislike would be the plastic bowl, measuring water sucks because it's hard to see the markers and they don't have per ounce increments.

But basically everyone is using a PR so you can't go wrong there either.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

I mean, it's a pot. Let's not overthink this. Aluminum vs titanium really doesn't matter, just get whatever lightweight pot at the cheapest price at an appropriate volume and diameter for your stove / party size. ~1L is plenty for 2 people.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

do not spend two hundreds of dollars on pots unless you can smoke them to get high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chard posted:

do not spend two hundreds of dollars on pots unless you can smoke them to get high

Also don’t spend that much on pots you can smoke to get high, you’re getting ripped off buddy