Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm nearing the end of CoD, and there's a repeating passage I think is a typo... This is super weird:

Anyone else's copy have this around page 374?

My early 80's copy doesn't have this typo. Is this a digital version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

E: no that's a typo nevermind

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gaj posted:

Two things because I cant find my copy of Dune so I can re-read it.

The thread has gone over how giving Piter enough spice to make his eyes blue is loving expensive, but are there any Bene Gesseritt who are so spice-girled up?
Yes, we don't know how many

quote:

In the movie Potato Idaho is killed by some weird bullet which can seemingly bore through his shield. Is this in the book and/or explained?
No, gently caress that

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Temaukel posted:

My early 80's copy doesn't have this typo. Is this a digital version?

Nope, small grey softcover with a small image of two figures in the desert approaching a city. If I'm reading the publishing notes correctly, it was printed in 1987.

Gaj posted:

In the movie Potato Idaho is killed by some weird bullet which can seemingly bore through his shield. Is this in the book and/or explained?

Definitely not in the book. IIRC, his death is only described later, and he apparently took a fuckload of Sardaukar with him.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Gaj posted:

It is not in the book, that is a Lynch thing. It’s a hunter-seeker, presumably used for remote assassination and I guess a means to easily kill shielded enemies. It has a property of variable velocity so it can slow down. That’s how it was able to pass through the shield.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In Children of Dune Faraden states that a Sardukar reported that it took 19 Sardukar to bring down Duncan Idaho. 19 of the Duniverses second-best fighters.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
We'd expect nothing less of a 92nd-level swordmaster of the 10th school of Ginaz.

What's that? All that was prequel nonsense? MY Duncan Idaho was just a well-trained badass and not a hyper ninja?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

D. Ebdrup posted:

In Children of Dune Faraden states that a Sardukar reported that it took 19 Sardukar to bring down Duncan Idaho. 19 of the Duniverses second-best fighters.

They didn't all die, but yeah he took down half a squad of Sardukar while defending a doorway. Pretty boss.

And then he slapped Stilgar. Even bosser.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I want a short story set during Muad'Dib's Jihad of two Fremen soldiers trying to sneak onto Caladan to visit pilgrimage sites and/or bang some Caladanese girls, despite, the NO FREMEN rule Jessica instated to avoid them loving up her planet. It would involve them needing to walk with rhythm and to somehow wash themselves hard enough to conceal their visible stink lines.

Or really, anything about Fremen visiting other planets in the beginning of Paul's Empire. He made a really cool, weird world, but then we never see anything outside of palaces or stinky desert gently caress-caves. Or at least, not until Heretics, and even then we're already in Old Horny Frank mode, and from the viewpoint of Space Dominatrix Murbella and Super Saiyan Miles Teg.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 19, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
There was very brief part like that in Dune Messiah. An old Fremen talks about seeing the ocean for the first time while fighting on another planet IIRC.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fremen: "This water is making me very hydrated!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gaj posted:

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

It is not in the book, that is a Lynch thing. It’s a hunter-seeker, presumably used for remote assassination and I guess a means to easily kill shielded enemies. It has a property of variable velocity so it can slow down. That’s how it was able to pass through the shield.

I don't think it was a hunter-seeker, I think it was meant to be a slow-pellet stunner, briefly mentioned in the book as a projectile weapon which could penetrate shields.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Joe Chill posted:

There was very brief part like that in Dune Messiah. An old Fremen talks about seeing the ocean for the first time while fighting on another planet IIRC.
He also claims that that's what cures him of the Jihad, so apparently the power of the Fremen is in the stink lines.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He was also surprised that the saltwater didn't taste good.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't think it was a hunter-seeker, I think it was meant to be a slow-pellet stunner, briefly mentioned in the book as a projectile weapon which could penetrate shields.

Yeah, it could be a stunner but the projectile appears to be identical to a hunter-seeker in the movie. Maybe this is just coincidence?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, it could be a stunner but the projectile appears to be identical to a hunter-seeker in the movie. Maybe this is just coincidence?

Very close but it doesn't seem to be quite identical. You barely get a glimpse of it in the Duncan scene:

But I don't see any of the brass parts that are clearly visible at the back of the hunter-seeker:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Very close but it doesn't seem to be quite identical. You barely get a glimpse of it in the Duncan scene:
But I don't see any of the brass parts that are clearly visible at the back of the hunter-seeker:

I was looking all over for an image after I posted to see if I was remembering correctly and welp, wrong again

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pham Nuwen posted:

That looks more like like the bolt Yueh hit the Duke with.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I ordered a hardcover copy of Children to read, I hate the tiny paperbacks. Went ahead and ordered Chapterhouse and Heretics, which I've never read. Gonna just plow all the way through

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are we still all pretending the Brian-involved movie will somehow not be a steaming pile of ultraspice?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pham Nuwen posted:

Prop designer had 20 minutes that day and took the brass bits off.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Are we still all pretending the Brian-involved movie will somehow not be a steaming pile of ultraspice?

Villeneuve hasnt made a bad movie yet imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’m starting to re-(re-re-re-re-)listen to Dune and I guess I never thought about it, but HGM telling Paul to be silent after he put his hand in her box was contrary to the rules as laid out by her previously (she said all he had to do was keep his hand in her box, there was no limitation on talking).

What the gently caress, Frank?

:mad:

E: also, why: “He thought he could feel skin curling black on that agonized hand”? Why not just: “He could feel skin curling black on that agonized hand?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
My sincere hope is that failson is just hyping up his own involvement for personal marketing and branding reasons and is actually not allowed to touch anything.

If he wasn't so stupid and hadn't bought into his own bullshit so much, I'd say he was hyping it up while standing aside to let Villeneuve make a great movie, which would be win-win for him but, well...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schadenboner posted:

So I’m starting to re-(re-re-re-re-)listen to Dune and I guess I never thought about it, but HGM telling Paul to be silent after he put his hand in her box was contrary to the rules as laid out by her previously (she said all he had to do was keep his hand in her box, there was no limitation on talking).

E: also, why: “He thought he could feel skin curling black on that agonized hand”? Why not just: “He could feel skin curling black on that agonized hand?
Mohiam was trying to gently caress Paul over. She says as much! (I wonder, do they do this poo poo to all the nobility? Why do they put up with their children randomly dying if so? I figure it's actually a BG test.)

I'd actually stick up for "he thought he could feel" even if it does not match current trends in writing, because it emphasizes the intellectual poo poo that is pretty big in Dune.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Nessus posted:

I'd actually stick up for "he thought he could feel" even if it does not match current trends in writing, because it emphasizes the intellectual poo poo that is pretty big in Dune.

Especially to emphasize the budding extraordinary beyond-human mental comprehension that Paul has.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Zopotantor posted:

That looks more like like the bolt Yueh hit the Duke with.

That is true, it does. And that would be in keeping with a maula pistol firing a blade or dart.
The thing that gave me the impression it would be a hunter-seeker was that it changed its speed on reaching proximity of Idaho's shield and I didn't think a stunner could do that - or a maula pistol either.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I honestly don't know when to try and puzzle something out or just punt because, eh, it's a freaking movie.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

Yeah but look at the source material....

I'm not emotionally invested in the HBO series so if it is entertaining, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'm not going to be disappointed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Schadenboner posted:

@duneauthor having mild producer involvement is inevitable because he runs the estate, so this metric is bunk. Hell, even the awesome Folio Society version of Dune has an afterward written by @duneauthor

Riot Bimbo posted:

WORD.

I was looking all over for an image after I posted to see if I was remembering correctly and welp, wrong again

You are forgiven for mistaking one unimaginative metal cylinder for another unimaginative metal cylinder in a movie replete unimaginative metal cylinders.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
the bene gesserit deny music but are constantly looking at van gogh paintings

starry night is a-ok but gently caress YOU clair de lune

makes sense

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Pimblor posted:

the bene gesserit deny music but are constantly looking at van gogh paintings

starry night is a-ok but gently caress YOU clair de lune

makes sense

piano? what the gently caress... do you know how loving hard it is to call a piano tuner Master Scytale? Goddamn those fucks never show up on the Sunday you need them. Powindah loving assholes.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I'm pretty sure the Pain box is a BG thing as a final test of their training? Since Jessica had a boy instead I think mother BG was both testing the kid and punishing Jessica. That's how I assumed it anyways. /shrug

Also the pain is all imaginary which may be why he used the "thought he could feel" etc, I don't think it was a open face microwave lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

The whole point is that the pain he feels isn't real; the painbox is just making use of the thermal grill illusion which is a thing that's been known about since the 1890s - a maker, pun fully intended, started building one in 2015 and documented it in a three-parter. Unfortunately he hasn't yet finished it, but it's been used in science too, so it's a well-understood principle at least.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 20, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Dune: The XXX Parody will be interesting.

"Put your dick in the box."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

D. Ebdrup posted:

The whole point is that the pain he feels isn't real; the painbox is just making use of the thermal grill illusion which is a thing that's been known about since the 1890s - a maker, pun fully intended, started building one in 2015 and documented it in a three-parter. Unfortunately he hasn't yet finished it, but it's been used in science too, so it's a well-understood principle at least.

I think it's more than that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

He was also surprised that the saltwater didn't taste good.

IIRC it's mentioned the Fremen drank a whole bunch of seawater because of the sheer novelty of it and didn't understand why it didn't taste good, basically.

Kinda tempered by the implication the Fremen did a bunch of war crimes and the ones that didn't come back basically became the colonial overclass on conquered planets.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D. Ebdrup posted:

that's interesting, though i don't know there's much point in linking dune weirdo science to existing developments.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Riot Bimbo posted:

Firstly,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

The dune series is a series of really good books. They're branded as sci-fi but the hard-sci is scant. This is a book series about the capacities of the human mind, weird drugs, sietch orgies, religion as a tool of statecraft, in a world that came to eschew thinking machines for the danger they posed to humanity. For this reason you're not likely to read too many words describing anything like the computer as we know it.

The first three books are set really far in the future, and the second set is even way drat further into the future.\

The first three books are also kind of their own self contained story, and many people think you can and should start and finish here.

God Emperor Of Dune is a really weird book. I haven't read anything else like it, ever. It's also the bridge between the first three books and the next series. I think the merits of this book place it up there with the first, but it's a polarizing book. It's also the beginning of Frank Herbert typing a bunch of weird sex poo poo probably with his rock hard dick while smoking a shitload of weed. The only thing I can say about this book is, you should really read everything prior before attempting it, it relies heavily on the context laid down before it.

These two are the ones written toward the end, and Frank died before writing the last in a planned trilogy.

Brian Herbert (May God rip his tongue out) decided, decades after the death of his dad, to use his dad's notes and concepts to save his own floundering career, and wrote a book I haven't read but by all accounts doesn't come close to touching the level of his father's abilities as a writer. But if you like pulp sci-fi and just like reading poo poo, and don't have an irrational dislike for them arousing out of your love for the old books, you can probably do worse. I can't say for sure.

You are right on the loving money, Riot Bimbo.

I've read all 6 of Frank's originals (several times) and they are everything you might want in sci-fi and more.

Bradbury did some awesome storytelling with Martian Chronicles.

Asimov did a lot of political and social structuring with the robots and the empire and the foundation.

Heinlein was way overrated.

But nobody did anything like Herbert.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

b mad at me posted:

Heinlein was way overrated.
Heinlein did excellent pulp scifi juvenile novels.
I also like all the other stuff he wrote, but I realize it's not as universally appealing.
Let's be honest: Some of it is also rather problematic - but it is possible to look past it.

Also, the more I'm seeing of what Franks Failson and what he's producing, the less I think he found any notes at all - does anyone know if there's any proof other than their word for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I read all of Brian's books up to "Dune 7" and found them stock and predictable but not terribly offensive. The Butlerian Jihad was really weak compared to the "man vs thinking machines" idea from the encyclopedia and it was stupidly predictable that it was the origin for everything in the Dune universe. In the end, I saw it in the same light I viewed nearly all Star Wars expanded universe stories: entertaining popcorn stories written by those with considerably less talent than the original author.

But 'Dune 7" was so bad that it retroactively turned me off all of Brian's previous Dune work. Just complete poo poo. There's no loving way Frank's notes on his death bed described that crap that would give fan fiction a bad name. No loving way.