Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks, I need to tag that so I can find it after I forget the title again, lol. Kinda same, it's not got a lot of depth but it's entertaining enough to read any time a new one pops up and I usually get a good chuckle out of it.

It's this strip in manga form but the main character is even less aware of his surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lunar detritus posted:

Are there any modern isekai manga already completed? I feel like every time I read a recommendation it ends just when it starts getting interesting.

Or is like 5 chapters in. Or takes forever to get anywhere like Spider.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

lunar detritus posted:

Are there any modern isekai manga already completed? I feel like every time I read a recommendation it ends just when it starts getting interesting.

No, basically~

Get used to it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cursed genre

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I have yet to see evidence that light novels ever end. I suspect authors just keep writing volumes until people lose interest or they (the authors) die. Maybe there's one or two, but as far as I can tell a complete light novel series is like finding bigfoot.

Since Isekai manga/anime always seem to be based on light novels this pretty much applies to them too.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bremen posted:

I have yet to see evidence that light novels ever end. I suspect authors just keep writing volumes until people lose interest or they (the authors) die. Maybe there's one or two, but as far as I can tell a complete light novel series is like finding bigfoot.

Since Isekai manga/anime always seem to be based on light novels this pretty much applies to them too.

Humanity has Declined ended! So did Spice and Wolf.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Kokoro Connect ended.

Also, crossposting from Slime thread.

L-O-N posted:

I tried the web novels of Spider since the manga was pretty fun, but they were some of the most boring books I've read. Like the author wanted to create an RPG system instead of writing an interesting book. It didn't help that the protagonist never interacted with any actual characters. Are the LN's any better in that regard?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Speaking of Log Horizon, if I wanna get into that light novel series, where should I start if I just wanted to pick up where the anime left off?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Now I'm reminded that what was quite possibly one of the greatest modern Isekai ended a year ago with an untimely passing. I think I've gushed about this one before but seriously give the only volume of Curse Blood a read because it did everything right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

arisu posted:

Speaking of Log Horizon, if I wanna get into that light novel series, where should I start if I just wanted to pick up where the anime left off?

there's only one light novel that hasn't been animated. the ln series went on hiatus for years after the author got hit for not paying taxes on his earnings from log horizon, and then got hit again for the exact same reason because he never actually bothered to pay those back taxes. it resumed last year, but only the one book has come out thus far.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Now I'm reminded that what was quite possibly one of the greatest modern Isekai ended a year ago with an untimely passing. I think I've gushed about this one before but seriously give the only volume of Curse Blood a read because it did everything right.

Yeah this one is great. Such a tragedy that the artist died they were crazy talented. The art is amazing, it's worth reading for that alone.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Someone asked for a decent issekai anime and I remembered Dog Days is a thing.

It has some ecchi, but it is mostly innocent fun.

We're just really early into the lifetime of the genre. It's going to be decades before most of them end without just being quietly discontinued.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

L-O-N posted:

The Spider light novels definitely have better pacing than the web novels. The Shun chapters are still a slog, though. They're deliberately written as a counterpoint to the spider chapters, so he lives an easy life full of friends. You'll see Shun go to magic school and be handed a magic wand that instantly makes him learn magic skills, then cut back over to the Spider who is torturing her brain to try and learn magic on her own.

As for interacting with other characters, she's a spider, she can't even speak. Figuring out how to talk and learn the local language is a looong term proposition. And as for meeting the other reincarnations - everyone from the classroom was reborn in that world at about the same time. The spider popped out of her egg after a hot minute and started having adventures. All the humans had to be born and live through their entire childhoods before they could really start doing anything. The Shun chapters take place many years after the spider chapters.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

When you all say sword dad, you're talking about I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated, right?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galvanik posted:

When you all say sword dad, you're talking about I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated, right?

That's the one, yeah.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Galvanik posted:

Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCT80HJWQ2A

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

L-O-N posted:

Kokoro Connect ended.

I mean, that's kind of how I felt about Spider isekai, it's not some people's cup of tea.

Kwyndig posted:

I liked it more than Isekai Nobu, but yeah the way they drew the food was really good.

Isekai Nobu has a better manga adaptation while the anime is just sad looking. Both web novel and anime adaptation of Isekai Resturant is quite nice.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

While Spider does eventually venture out from the labyrinth and encounter people, her interactions aren't always positive and she has trouble communicating still. It's kind of why I fell off of Slime since the difficulties of being a slime are basically completely solved. Even when she starts being able to verbally communicate it's not smooth sailing due to her personality.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

While in general this is true, and the same applies to WN stuff, there are plenty of series that have ended.

Even if we limit it to isekai and not LNs/WNs in general, Slime, Mushoku Tensei, Ascendence of a Bookwoom, Kono Sekai ga Game da to Ore dake ga Shitteiru, Evil God Average, Hachinan, Reincarnated into a Werewolf, Skeleton Knight in Another World, Konjiki no Moji Tsukai, I Reincarnated Into a Vending Machine, A Wild Last Boss Appeared and a lot more have all finished.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem is that the manga adaptations of the completed works are nowhere even close to ending within the next decade.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Compendium posted:

I mean, that's kind of how I felt about Spider isekai, it's not some people's cup of tea.
Yeah. Spider spends way too much of its wordcount in a situation where there is essentially one character who roams around inside a big cave. Then when it finally starts to open up a bit everything is written in a confusing and non-chronological sort of way. You have to read stupidly deep into the story before you have any sort of understanding of the world or the various characters and their motivations or what the characters are doing in relation to one another.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

L-O-N posted:

Kokoro Connect ended.

i personally enjoy the Spider LNs more than any of the few other isekai LN i've read (Slime and the 'make my abilities average' one) but i've not read the WN so i can't compare them. They still have the issue of her never talking to anyone for the first 4 or so volumes, but they do have chapters about other characters in between the Spider chapters which help. The main character of those is a boring nerd who sucks but other than him there's some good and interesting worldbuilding and plot details in those chapters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just really like variety in these stories so it doesn't feel like I'm reading the same story over and over.

It has happened a few times already.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

OldTennisCourt posted:

I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World is a really fun and relaxed Isekai.

I dude wins the lottery and gets swamped by people begging for cash so he moves to an isolated house that has a passage that leads to another world. The big twist is he can move between his world and the other world at will. The MC is really nice and relaxed dude so he uses his money to buy supplies in his world in order to build up an impoverished village in the other world.

There's no slavery to speak of (the closest IIRC is a villager saying she'll be his slave if he helps her village but he immediately shoots that down and saves the place anyway and it's never spoke of again) and it's just a laid back story.

One thing I like about this is that the MC doesn't fully know everything there is about agriculture. He actually gets professional consultation from companies on how to best implement his plans or has them construct items like the water wheel for him.

The main thing I'm skeeved out is how the MC is in his 20s but the two main girls showing interest in him look to be minors. Sure, he's oblivious and doesn't seem to think of them romantically, but it still drags this manga down for me.

Galvanik posted:

There's a josei (shojou?) time travel series I've been enjoying. It's about a girl who goes to an agricultural college getting zapped back to 1560s warring states era Japan and getting dragooned by Oda Nobunaga into being a village chief. She uses her modern farming knowledge to increase crop yields. That's it. The title is Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga

This is great! Thanks for this recommendation.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

lunar detritus posted:

I was going to say, there are a few. But then I remembered that they all are novels and not manga. And even those are quite rare.

The list if anybody cares: "Katahane no Riku", "I’m Back in the Other World?", "Dragon’s Bloodline", and also some honorable isekai : "The Heavily Armoured Noble Girl Monette" and "The Legend of Sun Knight".

Sun Knight is the only one that even has a manga adoption, and it (or at least the translation) stops very quickly. I still would totally recommend both versions to this thread. Though, like most long stories, it runs out of good ideas after a few volumes.
Monette is the other recommendable one. The jokes stay funny thfough the whole length.
And of course Katahane no Riku has a pretty unique starting hook: The MC is reincarnated as the sister (and haremmember) of a dating game hero. The hero is also a reincarnator and banishes the sister from the kingdom because he isn't into incest. But the story runs out of good jokes halfway through the runtime.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Overlord author has repeatedly stated that the series is going to be 19-20 novels. Its possible he could get hit by a bus, discover idolmaster, or decide to keep going, but it seems like he is pretty confident about his plans.

You also have to keep in mind the Isekai trend is relatively recent. Most successful book series run for at least a decade, and that's about when Isekai became a huge thing.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Overlord author could get hit by a bus

RIP that alternate world.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Argas posted:

While Spider does eventually venture out from the labyrinth and encounter people, her interactions aren't always positive and she has trouble communicating still. It's kind of why I fell off of Slime since the difficulties of being a slime are basically completely solved. Even when she starts being able to verbally communicate it's not smooth sailing due to her personality.

If you've read the web novels, she does eventually come up with a solution that works. If she needs to tell someone a bunch of stuff, she'll just write them a book about it. Then she'll go up to them, hand them the book, and leave. That's dedication to being anti-social that I can really appreciate.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

everythingWasBees posted:

anyway you literally just want .hack. there's games and anime so pick your poison, they're all related to one another but .hack//sign is a good (albeit slower and more melancholy) starting place. sign has all sorts of fuckery going on with the mc's consciousness bc of the game. the gu games and anime get fun too with that.

I've tried .hack//sign before, and while the protagonist seemed really interesting to me, the show never really stuck with them and seemed to focus on the more boring side characters and endless boring conversations about a game world that really failed to interest me. I wanted to like it, I really did, and I still consider it superior to SAO in terms of speculative element, but man was it too talky for me. Maybe I'll give it another try some other time, because I really was interested in the protagonist's melancholia.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: of course! of course, this is a perfect recommendation for you, how could I forget!

Ressentiment

it's totally what you're looking for, I think. It gets REALLY down and dirty with the whole "man, these people spend all their time in the vrmmo, what are they like in the real world" thing(answer: filthy, unhealthy, barely surviving while they scrape together the means to jump back in to their perfect anime world)

it's grotesque in the best way. It's also by the I Am A Hero guy, who also did Boys on the Run, both of which are pretty good

I ended up checking this out, and even though I really hate harem poo poo in any capacity even as the butt of the joke, the joke was pointed enough and the speculative elements were interesting enough that I ended up enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've read both the spider WN and LN and I can pretty confidently say that if you don't like one you aren't going to like the other either. The LN is much better paced and the high-level storyline is improved as well, but at the end of the day it's a lot of "spider goes around in RPG dungeon" in both of them, so if you don't like the spider and you don't like the dungeon there's no point to reading them.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably give the first book a shot as I like the manga well enough, and drop it if it's still boring.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Something I liked about grimgar was the little background commentary it was doing on the role of goblins in games/isekai stories. Being a low level enemy, "hero(s) kills a bunch of goblins to get stronger and also pay the bills" is a pretty expected direction for things to go, but grimgar made a point of showing that the goblins weren't mindless monsters. They clearly were sapient with a civilization and could communicate with one another (not sure if their weird screams were actual language, they seemed to mostly communicate with each other nonverbally) and later on several goblins got pretty well humanized, showing them playing chess with one another and even feeding animals in an eyecatch image. The main characters were clearly aware of this too: even 6v1 in a fight they were obviously going to win they're all incredibly awkward about attacking and make a personal note that the goblin was fighting for its life, one of them even gets freaked out by the feeling of his sword going through flesh the first time the goblin gets wounded. And at the end of the fight, as they're walking home, the protagonist notes that they didn't even make enough off of it to pay for their living expenses for the day - essentially, they just ambushed and gangstabbed a hobo for pocket change. And while its subtext, the next episode or so has them dealing with the emotional fallout of having killed an intelligent creature. All in all, I found the overall theme of "hey, this 'low level hero runs around killing goblins for cash' is essentially a horrifying act of genocide" really fascinating.

Is there any other isekai that does anything like this? What is the anti-goblin slayer

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

What is the anti-goblin slayer

Isn't this basically Goblin is Very Strong?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ninjewtsu posted:

What is the anti-goblin slayer
There's Goblin Kingdom, which is about an isekai'd goblin growing his goblin tribe into an advanced multispecies empire to avoid being massacred by humans. That said I stopped reading it a ways in because it was repetitive and not very well written.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

Something I liked about grimgar was the little background commentary it was doing on the role of goblins in games/isekai stories. Being a low level enemy, "hero(s) kills a bunch of goblins to get stronger and also pay the bills" is a pretty expected direction for things to go, but grimgar made a point of showing that the goblins weren't mindless monsters. They clearly were sapient with a civilization and could communicate with one another (not sure if their weird screams were actual language, they seemed to mostly communicate with each other nonverbally) and later on several goblins got pretty well humanized, showing them playing chess with one another and even feeding animals in an eyecatch image. The main characters were clearly aware of this too: even 6v1 in a fight they were obviously going to win they're all incredibly awkward about attacking and make a personal note that the goblin was fighting for its life, one of them even gets freaked out by the feeling of his sword going through flesh the first time the goblin gets wounded. And at the end of the fight, as they're walking home, the protagonist notes that they didn't even make enough off of it to pay for their living expenses for the day - essentially, they just ambushed and gangstabbed a hobo for pocket change. And while its subtext, the next episode or so has them dealing with the emotional fallout of having killed an intelligent creature. All in all, I found the overall theme of "hey, this 'low level hero runs around killing goblins for cash' is essentially a horrifying act of genocide" really fascinating.

Is there any other isekai that does anything like this? What is the anti-goblin slayer

Hmmm...The webcomic Daughter of the Lilies plays with this a bit as does Dungeon Meshi if I recall in that the situation with the orcs is a lot more complex thought that might have been.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well! this new series looks promising, and the artstyle is nice! Mazu Rice Elf and Nomadic Life

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's another one of those fantasy people completely lacking any semblance of food culture despite that not being a thing in all of human history stories.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, have you read ahead in it or something? to me it seemed more like the girl's a ditz who is a terrible cook, not necessarily everyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the reactions of the tribe made it pretty clear that they had never tasted anything good in their entire lives. it's why they apparently didn't even have a word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's the one saying stuff like that, not the rest of them, but I guess it could be the case. Like you said, the concept of no food culture is weird as hell, especially given the rest of the detail given to them in the chapter, but I suppose we'll see. It'd certainly be disappointing if that's the case, it'd be a waste of the nice artwork.