Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I bought

three shirts

because I got a retroactive raise this month and dammit I'm gonna use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
thanks to you and everyone else

I hope you all enjoy your poo poo, I think it's cool to see c-spam invade physical space

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
So some actual nerdy poo poo I've been into for a few years now are shorthand, alternative alphabets, and constructed languages. I like taking notes by hand sometimes, got curious if someone had made a faster cursive, and ended up down a whole linguistic rabbit hole.

I can't remember if any of these have been mentioned ITT yet. I've only noticed natural languages so far. It struck me that this stuff might be fitting for the arcane works going on in here.

So you have your real life magic alphabets for talking to angels, summoning demons, casting hexes etc., like Theban, the witch's alphabet:

Attempted phonetic English alphabets like Shavian and its cousin Quikscript:

Alphabets made up from scratch for people who didn't have one yet. Some Native Canadians have funky geometric alphabets now:

and shorthands like Pitman and Gregg for writing fast before they had voice recorders. Even if it's archaic, I think it looks cool as hell and/or like some kind of deranged scribble language.

Also there are like a trillion and a half constructed fictional languages like Klingon and Elvish and stuff, but I think sticking to the real stuff is more approppriate for documenting the failures of humanity in our holy book. :angel:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
we found a shorthand dictionary at a garage sale a while back that looks just like those scribbles

i refuse to believe it's usable or even legible, as two completely unrelated words like say "hospital" and "megaphone" look basically exactly the same to me

like, there's only so many combinations of quick strokes like that they can do right?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i mean look at this

no loving way are people distinguishing between these thousands of impossibly similar symbols, either when writing or reading

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah I gave up on learning Gregg proper because
1. You tell a lot of letters apart by how long they are and my penmanship just isn't good enough.
2. You very often don't write entire words but only like the first three syllables, or the first two and last two syllables. And you're not supposed to wing it. There are official spellings and abbreviations like you saw in that dictionary.

I've been trying to make up my own ghetto version though that's less ambiguous and slower b/c I don't need to be a 19th century court reporter.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i can write pretty quickly with extremely sloppy half cursive, as in, just print letters but blurred together randomly. basically only i can read it but i can read it perfectly so :shrug:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Thanks to the 14th amendment it is no longer allowed to buy and sell other posters

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite version of shorthand is where you just write in normal English while waving a gun around at people screaming at them to slow down

twoday
May 4, 2005

Good news, some stuff has been shipped out already

Confusingly it seems have been sent using the Latvian postal system even though as far as I can tell the object in question is being shipped to and from the United States

:thunk:

I'm sure it's fine

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh my god

https://twoday-internet-store.myshopify.com/products/trumbeanbag

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

twoday posted:

If 15 people are willing to put $6 each we can do a raffle for the trumbeanbag

I really want it to exist somewhere in the world

I'd absolutely buy in and hope to win because my wife will hate it even more than my tronk print :3:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

twoday posted:

Good news, some stuff has been shipped out already

Confusingly it seems have been sent using the Latvian postal system even though as far as I can tell the object in question is being shipped to and from the United States

I'm sure it's fine

Weird mine is shipping from Charlotte :thunk:

twoday
May 4, 2005

the one in North Carolina, or the one in Latvia?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

2DCAT posted:

Weird mine is shipping from Charlotte :thunk:

Same:

CHARLOTTE, NC 28273
UNITED STATES

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I can't decide what to buy :gonk:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

bean bag

twoday
May 4, 2005

Remember that you can also request things, this will make your decision harder

Someone requested that I make a hamberder alchemical chart t shirt, which I will do soon

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
is there a reason you're planning to only run the store for a short period of time?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Bought some stickers and I'm gonna put em up around the neighborhood

trhhmpi

twoday
May 4, 2005

Socks4Hands posted:

is there a reason you're planning to only run the store for a short period of time?

twoday posted:

I am going to leave it online for as long as I have a free trial of shopify, which is two weeks. After that it costs $30 a month for the service of keeping the shop up and running, and I am making like $4 or $5 on average from each item sold (though some less), and I don't imagine that I will have consistent sales of 6 or 7 things every month, and even then I would just be breaking even

twoday
May 4, 2005

A Russian troll farm posted:

Bought some stickers and I'm gonna put em up around the neighborhood

trhhmpi

tjilmp

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twoday-internet-store.myshopify.com/products/clemensiensis

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hmmmmm :thunk:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Let's see, youve got the teutonic cross and double eagle, and then planetary symbols under the sun and moon... Is this esoteric text from eastern Germany, circa the 16th century?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

twoday posted:

Let's see, youve got the teutonic cross and double eagle, and then planetary symbols under the sun and moon... Is this esoteric text from eastern Germany, circa the 16th century?

This is Rosicrucian symbology :) The iron cross is used here, but I've seen other versions of this image with other crosses.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is Rosicrucian symbology :) The iron cross is used here, but I've seen other versions of this image with other crosses.

A dumb question: are the Rosicrucians like other esoterics, like if I were a Rosicrucian would this image have a clear meaning to me?

twoday
May 4, 2005

I don't know but I think so. As far as I can tell the whole thing about being a rosecrucian and leveling up in their ranks is that you have to read a bunch of literature and go to readings and discussion groups. I'm pretty sure the alchemical library is run by them and when I was there doing some research they invited me to some readings and "something that is more like a religious service" but I didn't go. They have been sending me invites to their seminars by post for years, which is weird because I don't know how they got my address

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
they stole your blood

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I mean, that seems like something you should go to, goons aren't easily influenced by outsider groups and are resilient to brainwashing

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday posted:

Fine!

Outider art it is then

I'm half-tempted to buy an enormous canvas and hand it up on the wall of my attic and make this sketch into a giant masterpiece

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Yessssssssss

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
nice. i just checked and mine was delivered earlier today

twoday
May 4, 2005

Wow, that was fast

And it looks like the thing I designed

Good (great)

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

twoday posted:

thanks to you and everyone else

I hope you all enjoy your poo poo, I think it's cool to see c-spam invade physical space

got my shirt, it's a good shirt

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also got my shirt, the leopard looks beautiful

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

As someone who played Zork: Nemesis back in the day I can recognize like 50% of these alchemical symbols

twoday
May 4, 2005

ross perot in hell posted:

got my shirt, it's a good shirt

DMCrimson posted:

also got my shirt, the leopard looks beautiful

Good good

Because I am in Europe now I am not in charge of the production, and these posts are helpful in determining the success of my internet store grift

I'm glad everything is arriving quickly and that everyone is satisfied, please let me know if anything gets hosed up or is unsatisfactory and I will try to do something about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k