Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vulturesrow posted:

Banigan lost his job because he was a grade A rear end in a top hat.

I only worked under him for a few months, but I remember him coming in and delivering a speech about how he was going to push harder and get more stuff done to a crew of people that had been on a cycle of repeated deployments for several years with a break only for dry-dock.

At the time, I assumed that the senior enlisted people had been blowing smoke up his rear end, telling him that crew morale was high and that everyone was ready to kick some butt instead of the truth, that everyone was feeling beaten down and worn out.

I guess he just sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1151328634311008256

Helicopter pilots don't really need to get flight hours, do they?

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 17, 2019

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I just found out today that I almost got into a fight with an admiral's son at a bar back in 2017 when I was still in Yokosuka. Apparently, the only reason it didn't escalate further was the bartender gave me and a friend a note saying to Be Nice so we settled down and then left.

Now, I generally remember my drunken escapades during that time period, despite how terrible I was treating myself. I remember drunken karaoke (lots of those), meeting the future CO of the Fitz while we were all drunk, and other events during that time. Hell, I even remember my 25th birthday which happened to coincide with a wetting down in 2014 and involved more alcohol then I care to recall.

I don't remember this event at all. I almost want more details to so I can figure out what the hell we were arguing about.

Also, it is hotter than hell in VA Beach right now. Monterey weather was perfect. I already miss it, but at least I'm done with my Masters. If anyone has an opportunity to go to the Naval Postgraduate school, I do recommend it. It's hard work, but very rewarding.

At least Rhode Island will have decent fall and spring weather. Summers and winters will be more misery, but instructor duty should be fun.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

orange juche posted:

God I loving blacked his name out of my memory loving CAPT Dee Mewborne (did a cruise with him as skipper, he picked up rdml off it)

I recall we had 3 successful suicides that cruise and God knows how many attempted ones that failed.

Hey fellow multiple beer-day cruise guy. Dee mewbourne is the worst. He's picking up more stars too.

Hey at least he didn't say dirty words and make videos that implied nudity...

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Any guesses on FFG(X) winner?

I feel like FREMM would be the nicest to serve on. Staterooms for everyone! I'm sure the chiefs would find a way to ruin that quickly. FREMM or the Spanish one with the SPY radar are probably the best combatants. I can't believe the Freedom-class has any shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)

edit: fix url

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dorstein posted:

The MIC.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dorstein posted:

I feel like FREMM would be the nicest to serve on. Staterooms for everyone! I'm sure the chiefs would find a way to ruin that quickly. FREMM or the Spanish one with the SPY radar are probably the best combatants. I can't believe the Freedom-class has any shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)

edit: fix url

The freedom class doesnt even have a design submitted, lockheed pulled out as the prime.

If FREMM doesnt win out I'll have to move, wheeeee.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

The freedom class doesnt even have a design submitted, lockheed pulled out as the prime.

If FREMM doesnt win out I'll have to move, wheeeee.

FREMM is a proven, ready design so it would be the quickest to produce I think, also slightly cheaper than an up-scaled NSC. An up-scaled NSC design would also be capable, but there's more question marks (how long would it take to redesign/scale up, how much would the design change cost? What changes would that make to the basic seaworthiness of the vessel?), and the NSC program has some controversy with how the contracting process has gone so far, but it does have a significantly longer range than the FREMM (FREMM is 6000nmi, and the NSC, even if it was up-scaled and loaded down with weapons, is 8000nmi)

General Dynamics' offering of the Álvaro de Bazán-class frigate is the only one that can mount an Aegis system out of the box, but it's also $400M USD more than either the FREMM or the big-NSC. I imagine if one of the requirements of FFG(X) is that it can mount an Aegis system, both the FREMM and the NSC price will be much closer to the Álvaro de Bazán than they are now, as well as the necessary redesign required to mount Aegis on either of them.

The Austal offering of an LCS is a joke and probably should not be taken seriously.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 18, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

orange juche posted:

The Austal offering of an LCS is a joke and probably should not be taken seriously.

Say it three times, I dare you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Its a ship that is made out of aluminum and nearly disintegrated while it was tied to the pier.

Granted they fixed that particular thing but it's still made out of aluminum.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Dorstein posted:

Why not 2?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

Why not 2?

:bisonyes:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

piL posted:

Why not 2?

Lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrYenko posted:

Say it three times, I dare you.

Seafighter, Seafighter, Seafighter

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The Valley Stared posted:

At least Rhode Island will have decent fall and spring weather. Summers and winters will be more misery, but instructor duty should be fun.

I'll be up there next year. Are you in the BDOC/ADOC side or ISWOS?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How can the surface fleet gently caress up another procurement? Stay tuned to find out!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

simplefish posted:

Seafighter, Seafighter, Seafighter

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

simplefish posted:

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of Naval Aviation, the trailer for latest Top Sequel reveals that Maverick's career stalled at captain for decades.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Are we surprised? Admirals don't get to fly.

"Good news, Mav, looks like you're on the next flag list."

"FREEMASONS RUN THE NAVY THEY'RE ALL IN THE POCKET OF BIG PHARMA AND THAT'S WHY THEY TRIED TO KILL MCCAIN ON THE FORRESTAL ALSO MCCAIN WAS IN ON IT HE FIRED THE ROCKET AT HIS OWN PLANE"

"Jesus! gently caress, promote that dude who shot down the Air Force F-4 instead."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Evidently O-6s can stay in for a maximum 40 years, making the plot point plausible.

I mean, figure Pete Mitchell became an Ensign in 1980, he's a Lieutenant by 85-86 (when the movie takes place)...which means his forty is up in 2020.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 19, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
His dad was an admiral, wasn't he? Give him a couple extra years on waiver.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Can one of you guys (not Buttplug) become CNO and shutter the NCF? Thanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

His dad was an admiral, wasn't he? Give him a couple extra years on waiver.

"They didn't let you into the Academy because you're Duke Mitchell's kid."

"Well that's not something the Navy tells families especially when the fight happened over the wrong line on some map."

His father was scapegoated by the Navy as a hothead who broke the rules of engagement...in Vietnam.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I have a question on waiving your last advancement exam when getting out. I'm trying waive it because there is zero reason i would ever stay in. But I feel like my chief is just making poo poo up at this point regarding waiving it. He said that people who are hitting HYT(I am not HYT) who waive their exam lose benefits or whatever and that he believes that applies to waiving your final exam if you are not HYT and just getting out.

To me it sounds like he either has no idea what he's talking about or he just wants me to take the exam for no reason. Anyone have insight, does this sound like bullshit?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I'll be up there next year. Are you in the BDOC/ADOC side or ISWOS?

ISWOS as part of the JOOD program which should be interesting. Let me know when you arrive. Hopefully, by then I'll have scoped out additional restaurants and breweries other than the ones I'm already familiar with.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Virginia Slams posted:

I have a question on waiving your last advancement exam when getting out. I'm trying waive it because there is zero reason i would ever stay in. But I feel like my chief is just making poo poo up at this point regarding waiving it. He said that people who are hitting HYT(I am not HYT) who waive their exam lose benefits or whatever and that he believes that applies to waiving your final exam if you are not HYT and just getting out.

To me it sounds like he either has no idea what he's talking about or he just wants me to take the exam for no reason. Anyone have insight, does this sound like bullshit?

Just take the damned test and charlie the gently caress out of it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

It's probably 99% bullshit but the easiest solution is just take the stupid test.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Normally I'm against extra work, but you're relying on internet strangers to prove a negative. Chief is probably wrong, however:

code:
                 Take the Test
               Y              N
          +-----------+-------------+
          |           |             |
        Y | Thank God |  Fuuuuuuuu  |
Chief     |    (-1)   |     (-100)  |
is        +-----------+-------------+
right     |Waste of   |Best case:   |
        N |your time  |skate, but   |
          |at work    |maybe still  |
          |     (-1)  |at work (0)  |
          +-----------+-------------+
The better strategy is do it anyway. Sorry.

Edit: Corrected incorrect game theory lingo.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Virginia Slams posted:

He's regurgitating bullshit at you. There is also no such thing as "waiving" the exam. You take it or you don't. If your command designates the exam as your place of duty for that morning, they can give you poo poo for being UA. The exam has zero bearing on your future benefits. If you separate after the results come out, that should be documented on your DD-214 (selected for advancement or PNA) which can have some importance if you decide the rejoin the military. If you separate before results come out, then taking the exam is 100% meaningless.

As others have said, you should just take the exam. It's a couple of hours (shorter if you just bubble it randomly) and you should just go with the flow until you get out.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DustyNuts posted:

He's regurgitating bullshit at you. There is also no such thing as "waiving" the exam. You take it or you don't. If your command designates the exam as your place of duty for that morning, they can give you poo poo for being UA. The exam has zero bearing on your future benefits. If you separate after the results come out, that should be documented on your DD-214 (selected for advancement or PNA) which can have some importance if you decide the rejoin the military. If you separate before results come out, then taking the exam is 100% meaningless.

As others have said, you should just take the exam. It's a couple of hours (shorter if you just bubble it randomly) and you should just go with the flow until you get out.

Edit: Some people are reasonable and will agree with you when you tell them you're 100% separating and don't want to advance and take a quota from a Sailor that intends to stay in the Navy. Try that.

Quote is not edit. Oops.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just Christmas tree the test.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
gently caress that. Dont take it and tell your chief to eat poo poo. Stick it to the man!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Take the test, do well, get a promotion slot then get out and watch their brains explode. Then say told you so

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I ditched two E-6 tests before getting out, and it didn't seem to impede any benefits.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The Valley Stared posted:

ISWOS as part of the JOOD program which should be interesting. Let me know when you arrive. Hopefully, by then I'll have scoped out additional restaurants and breweries other than the ones I'm already familiar with.

No worries there. I've got enough Newport spots to know the good ones. I can probably help fill in your list.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Virginia Slams posted:

Your first fault was letting your command know in advance you're getting out and now they're trying to gently caress with you for it.
Play both angles. Don't commit. Act like you're going to simply transfer.

Then when they have all your award paperwork done, simply don't sign your re-enlistment paperwork or OBLISERV and skate out to PERSUPP to do your DD-214.
Tell them you're going to TAPS because it's a requirement in the last year, or do it right before sep leave when it's too late to change things.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Virginia Slams posted:

It's bullshit, but take the exam, start saying your having your doubts about leaving, and string that out until the day you drop your terminal leave request

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Navy, just close your former-O-clubs-turned-garbage-sysco-restaraunts and tell people to have their marriages/prom dinners/Christmas parties in town. It's less grafty that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You do see the problem with your logic, right?