Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Connoisseur posted:

A neat little thing about that is that the guard doesn't keep staring at frosted glass like a dunce, he's actually scripted to give up what he's doing and he goes to the executive waiting room to read a magazine.

What happens if you defrost (for lack of better words) the glass while he's away, if you know? Does he stay in the waiting room, or magically know that he can go back to his post?
That's interesting though - definitely the smartest man on the map, as Zaffy said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1151854137182695425

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Major Isoor posted:

What happens if you defrost (for lack of better words) the glass while he's away, if you know? Does he stay in the waiting room, or magically know that he can go back to his post?
That's interesting though - definitely the smartest man on the map, as Zaffy said!

He does not, he keeps sitting in the waiting room until he's jostled by some alarm or emergency. The whole frosted glass thing is of questionable utility considering that the guard's not watching anything that's not eventually patrolled by the group of bankers. I thought you could maybe create a body stash zone behind the desk when the guard's not there, but the investigator lady eventually peeks in there. Actually she doesn't, must've left a stray gun lying around.

This is something you can do I suppose. (Spoilerish)

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Another Sapienza ET? I need new suits :negative:

This was also one where I remember the ET being especially convoluted without a guide, so explosive ducking and running might be the best way to go.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Badboy's not so big a deal, it's just that he doesn't really expose himself to any risks unless something happens on the set. Starting the autograph session should put him in a position to be poisoned for example, as he'll go out there with Dino Bosco and field questions for him.

It may also be trivially possible to kill him with the cheesephone.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nakar posted:

It may also be trivially possible to kill him with the cheesephone.
Someone suggested I try playing with an empty loadout and I jumped at the chance because I think the phone is actively making me a worse player. I just ended up using propane tanks as a crutch instead if I'm honest :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOQzw9wObU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rsdr-gDwoU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I find it frustrating that you can't do ET's over again. Give me one shot for all the challenges and perks and unlocks but let me explore the different interactions and stuff. Most ET's for me end up being a run in blast the guy and blast my way out which is so unsubtle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

embrace the ephemeral nature of life and art

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Super No Vacancy posted:

embrace the ephemeral nature of life and art

I just wanna kill people

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sounds like you're getting it

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
As cool as the concept of elusive targets is, the implementation isn't great. All the stuff about only getting a single attempt is nonsense because anyone even vaguely serious about the game will play it a bunch of times without actually completing anything because a) that's the only way to hear the dialogue they've written (which is, let's be honest, the real content - not some dipshit being shadowed by a bunch of guards that you're going to kill with more or less the same strategy you always use) and b) the only lasting mark they leave on the game is a scoreboard where you're ranked by how fast you got silent assassin, so playing blind and having fun is actively discouraged.

Limiting you to literally a single attempt would be truer to the concept but then you'd have to choose between seeing the content or doing well (and you'd be poo poo out of luck if the game crashed), so I think they should let you replay as long as they're active but only your first score counts. You can kind of do this already by using console guest accounts or steam family sharing, so they might as well make it official.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There are finally enough fun featured contracts that I'm having fun trying to do them. I don't care about doing SA on 'em, but trying to meet the optional complications is fun. Like the one I just did, Turn Off the TV! Got caught trying to give one of my targets the electric phone so I stole his clothes, waited for it to reset and did it again, silently this time.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it just me or are they really spacing out new ETs on the Hitman 2 maps? I think they've had 5 new ones in the last 8 months and two of them were the exact same Undying mission. I can't remember how frequent they were in the first game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it just me or are they really spacing out new ETs on the Hitman 2 maps? I think they've had 5 new ones in the last 8 months and two of them were the exact same Undying mission. I can't remember how frequent they were in the first game.

Hitman 2 sold pretty poorly for various reasons, they are probably stretching out their budget so they can still release the promised new maps on schedule.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The latest ET ‘tthe badboy’ is now live and... while I haven’t yet completed it, I think it seems really simple?

I’m going to play it more to appreciate the level, but to complete I think I can:

Spoiler for the latest ET.
distract and knock out the two bodyguards beside his flash car right at the start. Drop a micro explosive on it, move a decent distance away to avoid suspicion, detonate and shoot him with a silenced pistol when he comes to check on his car.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hobo Clown posted:

I assume we're getting the replays while they're busy working on the DLC.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Badboy is the one who is playing Kane and Lynch and loudly talking about how good it was and how people maligned it, right?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

StrixNebulosa posted:

There are finally enough fun featured contracts that I'm having fun trying to do them. I don't care about doing SA on 'em, but trying to meet the optional complications is fun. Like the one I just did, Turn Off the TV! Got caught trying to give one of my targets the electric phone so I stole his clothes, waited for it to reset and did it again, silently this time.

There is some contract on the landslide map that involves pushing 5 people into the ocean with the starting disguise and I spent like an hour and a half trying to figure out how it was done and never managed to get a single target without being spotted. Haha

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

There is some contract on the landslide map that involves pushing 5 people into the ocean with the starting disguise and I spent like an hour and a half trying to figure out how it was done and never managed to get a single target without being spotted. Haha

if it's the one I'm thinking of it involves shooting them in the leg so they drop in the water. A sniper rifle shooting from the safehouse is recommended

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

deadly_pudding posted:

Hitman 2 sold pretty poorly for various reasons
You got a source for this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just pulled off the Four Clovers featured contract and y'know what, that was some pretty nice routing. And I like the theming of four green men.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

After spending like an hour realizing I had no idea how to do this one I was glad those were optional objectives because I just went to the safehouse, grabbed the highest powered sniper rifle I could and started firing until they and several others were all dead.

Do you need to actually do the featured contracts 'right' to unlock the wrench, or just finish them? I'm pretty close if the latter is true.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Pilchenstein posted:

You got a source for this?

One of the biggest tells is that the leaderboards have significantly less people on them than Hitman 1.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

After spending like an hour realizing I had no idea how to do this one I was glad those were optional objectives because I just went to the safehouse, grabbed the highest powered sniper rifle I could and started firing until they and several others were all dead.

Do you need to actually do the featured contracts 'right' to unlock the wrench, or just finish them? I'm pretty close if the latter is true.

Just finish them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One of the biggest tells is that the leaderboards have significantly less people on them than Hitman 1.
That's not really a great metric for a ton of different reasons.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Pilchenstein posted:

That's not really a great metric for a ton of different reasons.

I'm listening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

We're discussing this for the nth time in this thread, :sigh:

The pace of the updates / quality of the ETs / recycling of old ETs seems to indicate that they are not rolling high on tons of money. Thing is, this could be due to them being a small indie studio, or it could be because it really didn't sell well. They certainly aren't talking about their financial situation, so everything we say is based on speculation and stuff like looking at the steam sale stuff.

I want Hitman 2 to be selling like gangbusters, but unless we can figure out how to market it better, that's not going to happen.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When Steam posted their "Greatest Hits" at the end of 2018, it was pretty obvious how badly Hitman 2 had done.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Hitman has been around longer than Hitman 2 (even if you assume nobody at all has played 1 since 2 launched, there were over two and a half years between releases but 2 has only been around for eight months), the episodic release versus full game thing probably makes comparisons iffy, Hitman 2 has players spread across more difficulty levels (plus Hitman's pro mode wasn't in at launch and had to be unlocked on a per level basis), I think Hitman got bundled with certain graphics cards but I can't recall that happening for Hitman 2, and so on.

HenryEx posted:

When Steam posted their "Greatest Hits" at the end of 2018, it was pretty obvious how badly Hitman 2 had done.
It was one of the top new releases for November, which also suggests it was never going to do well in overall sales for the year.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The pace of the updates / quality of the ETs / recycling of old ETs seems to indicate that they are not rolling high on tons of money.
They're releasing a bunch of live service stuff and a patch every month and with a few notable exceptions, the ETs have always been kind of low effort - there's only so much work you can put into "NPC followed by guards" :v:

Anyway, it's like you say - none of us actually know enough to draw any conclusions.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

It was one of the top new releases for November, which also suggests it was never going to do well in overall sales for the year.

I'm not even talking about overall year sales, it didn't even win any of the sales award for the month it came out. The Steam Best Of had categories for each release month, obviously. Stuff like Farming Simulator, or Football Simulator and even Artifact of all things came out the same month as Hitman 2 and outsold it that month.
IIRC Borderlands 2, a six years old game on sale a million times and in bundles, outsold Hitman 2.
The only time it ever showed up, somewhere far down on a list, as "Best Newcomer" or something like that.

It's bizarre how some people vehemently argue against all facts, even as the effects make themselves clear. Reminds me of anti-vaxxers.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hitman 1 was also a free PS+ game and most people wouldn't know to do the H2 import trick :shrug:

But also a puzzle game where going loud is considered a failure state and a good run looks a lot like someone slowly walking around choking people out was never gonna have the same mass appeal as a pure FPS or action game

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
People underestimate how beloved Farming Simulator is. I mean it's an Amazon top seller for months every time a new one comes out, and I saw the crowd at Gamescon one year at their booth. They had a live show that was just weird shouting and they had a hype man like they sometimes have at festivals where those popular DJs perform or something, and people WENT OUT OF THEIR loving MINDS. (And they were all wearing costumes, too)

Biggest wtf of that particular year for me. I don't think there are a lot of other titles that can outsell Farming Simulator.

So, in short - never measure a game's success against Farming Simulator, it just doesn't work man.

Edit: edited for drunk posting fourth language grammar issues

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 20, 2019

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : not rehashing this, ignore my dumb rear end

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 19, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Here's a problem: Hitman's kind of unique in its genre. There are other stealth games, but none that have disguises like this, or the ability to go full FPS third-person shooter type. There's the clone the Slater, but that's it. Hitman stands alone. What on earth do you compare it to?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Badboy is even easier, if you force the Q & A to happen he drinks from the left water bottle and the waiter disguise lets you do it while a security guard is talking to you. The hard part is waiting.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HenryEx posted:

I'm not even talking about overall year sales, it didn't even win any of the sales award for the month it came out. The Steam Best Of had categories for each release month, obviously. Stuff like Farming Simulator, or Football Simulator and even Artifact of all things came out the same month as Hitman 2 and outsold it that month.
IIRC Borderlands 2, a six years old game on sale a million times and in bundles, outsold Hitman 2.
The only time it ever showed up, somewhere far down on a list, as "Best Newcomer" or something like that.
It's in this list of "The top games released in 2018 as measured by gross revenue this year", along with Farming Simulator, Football Manager and Artifact: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_top_new

HenryEx posted:

It's bizarre how some people vehemently argue against all facts, even as the effects make themselves clear. Reminds me of anti-vaxxers.
lol at this horseshit though, perfectly normal response to being disagreed with over a video game :v:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Next ET will be #12 which will unlock The Undying Look.

I wonder if it's gonna be Sean Bean again.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

hitman is a good game, but it is not a popular game

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I wish they'd take the loving leaderboards off elusive targets, I feel compelled to do it "properly" when all most of them deserve is a block of proximity c4 thrown at their head. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can't for the life of me figure out the featured contract to kill the two party house owners in Whittleton creek. I get seen everytime doing anything and a giant gunfight is a loving slog.