Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

People talk all the time about RDR2 being an "immersive" experience but the presence of 27 different contextual buttons and meter management to me is like, whatever the exact opposite of immersion would be in this case. Call it super video gamey. The rare sort of game I've found myself fully engaged in are typically minimalist in design, simple controls, no tooltips, no instructional dialogue, light or almost nonexistent UI, etc.

Right, and that's exactly how attempts at realism and immersion kill tabletop games as well: they accidentally make it more obvious just how gamey and unrealistic the game is. When you model the real-life differences between a catalogue of different weapons with +1s here and -1s there across a dozen different stats, you draw attention to the fact that this is all about fiddly math, not heroic adventures or the life-and-death terror of a real fight.

Also similarly, this is why I've come to greatly prefer rules-light RPGs, with Apocalypse World about as crunchy as I'll go. The more left to your mind, the more immersive it actually ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Going back to Sekiro for a bit: I can't believe From decided that an Instant-Kill status effect was a good idea, after how bad it was the first time they did it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay nevermind the arena is a grind but can actually be fun sometimes. My new least favorite thing in Far Cry 4 is a particular story mission.

Part 1: You need to sneak onto a truck in order to be transported into a bad guy's lair. Except it only actually explains that it wants you to just walk up to the back of the truck once you're two feet away from it. In the mean time, you're supposed to pick your way through a mini-outpost to get to said truck. Except the map design is so absurdly poor that in actuality you have to kill maybe 3 guys on one side of the area to get to the truck in about five seconds, rendering the rest of the area pointless. As I tried to full clear the camp, the AI started making up its own rules. Suddenly enemies decided they would react to basically any kind of distraction with randomly tossed grenades. These grenades would then spook the truck driver, who drives off without you and instantly fails the mission. This seriously reads like they couldn't figure out how to program the truck AI properly so they just had the other enemies do something they don't normally do to trigger the failure condition.

Part 2: Now you're in the bad guy's lair and you've got almost gently caress all for visibility going through a hazy village type area in the dead of night. The area is laid out like an open-ended stealth puzzle except as far as I can tell in actuality there's one clearly correct path and a bunch of false ones that will gently caress you over. They'll gently caress you over because obviously this section also needed to be an insta-fail stealth section, with endless blind corners, large groups of enemies that are difficult to bypass, and a bunch of unexplained mechanics. There's spotlights throughout the base, and usually directly under them is a mob of enemies. I *think* the idea is that if you leave any dead bodies inside lit areas it will cause enemies to appear from the ether to detect them. This won't instantly fail the mission but has a good chance of cascading into a failure after about five seconds when the newly spawned guards start looking (read: instantly zero in on) you. Regardless, every time you kill an enemy no matter the context it will mysteriously flash "HIDE THE BODIES" at the top of the screen with no further explanation. There's a ton of copy and pasted grappling hook points throughout the map, and I have no idea what they're meant to be for. They look as though they should let you climb onto the rooftops and sneak around that way, but no, you don't pull yourself up once you reach the top of these despite using the type of grapple point that signifies that. Maybe there's some super clever Batman maneuver you're meant to be able to do and hang around over top the heads of enemies, but these didn't seem to be set up for that either.

Clearly they knew this mission was a pile of poo poo, because even though being caught sends you back to start of the area, it checkpoints your objective progress. It really feels like they had their newest studio, Ubisoft Dave's Water Damaged Basement, cook this thing up over a long weekend. It's outstandingly lovely.

The last leg of the mission is also a wet fart - you carry the body of the bad guy out of his lair, stuff him in a trunk, and then drive about 45 seconds down the road to deliver him to the rebels. I think you can maybe choose to just put a bullet in his head before stuffing him in the trunk, but I wasn't about to risk failing the mission again for bullshit reasons and the game didn't indicate otherwise. There's no tension or pressure of any kind during this part. You can freely put him down as you like, so you're not stuck only using your sidearm, and the stealth conceit is over so you just need to shoot your way past a handful of guards instead of any kind of potentially interesting stealthy exfiltration. They spawn a few token pursuers on the way to the dropoff, but pathetically too few to make that part interesting either.

The cherry on top is that the entire characterization of the bad guy, which is laid on THICK, is "this torturer and all around rear end in a top hat is also a devoted family man ISN'T THAT SO IRONIC?????". gently caress off.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jul 19, 2019

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Anything that sets Crouch, Sneak, Run, *Whatever* to L3 and won't let me change it. I can't help it I keep a death grip on my controller and will jam that joystick all the time.

Many a game with me dying because I decide to squat down when I need to be booking rear end.

crouch buttons are so lovely that they're the butt of the joke in mainstream comedy nowadays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWQXzGTzM1g

Schubalts posted:

Going back to Sekiro for a bit: I can't believe From decided that an Instant-Kill status effect was a good idea, after how bad it was the first time they did it.

aside from the proper position of Get Good You Scrub, sekiro's terror status is more forgiving than curse ever was. besides just having a possible resurrection, using the terror-curing powder/gourd also decreases the rate at which it builds for a while, and the lilac umbrella upgrade lets you ignore it entirely. :eng101:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I quit playing exactly after that mission for pretty much the same reasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God I'm glad I passed on RDR2. It sounds like everything I hate about open world games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I passed RDR2 thus far because its only on console and who the hell uses a controller for games that require aiming :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Arthur moves like 300 pounds of poo poo in a 200 pound burlap sack
Plus traveling gets real obnoxious when you can’t even put your controller down to pee or make a sandwich while Freckles lumbers to your destination because oh poo poo, highwaymen just shot you dead

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where the gently caress is my GOD HAND HD remastered at Capcom?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Where the gently caress is my GOD HAND HD remastered at Capcom?

Buried underneath the corpse of viewtiful joe

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Calaveron posted:

Arthur moves like 300 pounds of poo poo in a 200 pound burlap sack
Plus traveling gets real obnoxious when you can’t even put your controller down to pee or make a sandwich while Freckles lumbers to your destination because oh poo poo, highwaymen just shot you dead

Even the "hold X to progress" doesn't even reliably work, ask me about spending over half an hour on a simple drive-the-stagecoach-at-5-mph dialogue mission because I kept getting so bored with dialogue I tuned out and got screwed over by the pathfinding, only for the checkpoint to send me back to the beginning :arghfist:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Sekiro - Guardian Ape

Is From Software just loving stupid or something? Stop making boss fights end in fakeouts. It's like every fight now. Last time I thought I learned my lesson, the fight isn't over until you get the big "SHINOBI EXECUTION" text on the screen. I behead the Guardian Ape and get "SHINOBI EXECUTION" on the screen, then he gets up two seconds later. gently caress off, all this poo poo does is make it impossible to win the fight on the first try. I don't care if the boss has two phases, just tell me what I'm fighting when I fight it, so I actually know what tactics I have to use to survive the entire fight. I'm obviously going to die on the first attempt of the second phase if I've used up all my healing items. And if the stupid ape can do a jumping grab attack with a hitbox that covers half the planet, then I'm gonna be pounding healing items.

This game is starting to wear on my patience. They made these satisfying, specific mechanics for Sekiro's battle system, but a lot of the bosses don't use them well. Shichimen Warrior - okay, a guy who surrounds himself with an insta-kill aura, shoots homing energy balls which are also filled with insta-kill juice, and throws out basically two attacks with his weapon if you get close. That's a Dark Souls boss. Guardian Ape also fights pretty similarly to a Dark Souls boss, but at least he has attacks you can deflect. Still, you just dodge around defensively and slowly whittle the enemy's health down.

Not to mention that, at this point in the game (after beating Genichiro) it might as well be a boss rush. Now, every area in the game feels two seconds long with hardly any meaningful challenge anymore. Feels like you do one single thing, then you do a boss/miniboss fight. In the Sunken Valley, jump down into a chasm, dodge a few bullets, now fight a miniboss. Then cross a bridge, dodge some bullets, kill a couple mooks, now fight a miniboss. Oh poo poo, there's another scripted sequence with a big snake attacking you! oh it's over, slice up some super weak monkey mooks, then fight the Guardian Ape.

The bosses are starting to feel tough just because of cheap bullshit like surprise second forms and instant kill attacks so I'm beating my head against them constantly, but at the same time the rest of the enemies in the game are starting to feel weaker than tissue paper and the areas between boss fights are starting to feel like hallways. I'm not seeing the same kind of focus on making areas challenging and interesting to explore that I've seen in the other Soulsborne games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There hasn't been a single boss in your path through the game so far that has had one health bar or died after one execution and now that you've fought Genichiro you know it's possible for a boss to have one health bar and require being fought twice, so I'm not sure what you were expecting. But even then, "oh phew it only has one health bar OH NO" is the entire point of the fakeout. The Shichimen Warrior boss type is pretty crappy though.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
All the bosses have had multiple health bars, but this is the first time I've done a shinobi execution and the boss hasn't stayed dead (in gameplay terms). Plus, the fakeout has no benefit. It just makes me die one more time arbitrarily. Guardian Ape is already atypical in having unbreakable posture, so I figured chopping his head off after one health bar was just another strange thing about it.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Jul 20, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well... so what? There's an idol 1 foot from the boss arena. It's a funny, scary, weird moment that will never fool you again now that it happened and it cost you maybe 5 minutes of your time.

Also the Guardian Ape doesn't have unbreakable posture, it's extremely breakable and it falls on its rear end like a big doofus. Hit it in the head (while it's still attached, that is).

Edit: and don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. Fighting bosses in games like this is a big important event and for them to pull gotcha moments on you can be kind of bullshit, I totally agree. However, personally I feel that Sekiro has taken steps to minimize the blows of such moments to use them to the game's advantage without carrying that bullshit part with it. If there were a run back to the boss, I'd understand your complaints, but I bet they put that Idol there specifically because they knew this particular gotcha would get you killed.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Jul 20, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There is one boss that legit only has one health bar. But only one IIRC, and it's well into the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Only the Corrupted Monk has the one health bar and it is so goddamn long.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

John Murdoch posted:

Okay nevermind the arena is a grind but can actually be fun sometimes. My new least favorite thing in Far Cry 4 is a particular story mission.

The grapple points are to swing across between like a lovely confused Tarzan. No idea if it makes the mission easier because I thought it mostly sucked and the one handed pursuit became a lot easier if you just equip the micro-grenade launcher and obliterate anything that walks round the corner.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

darkwasthenight posted:

The grapple points are to swing across between like a lovely confused Tarzan. No idea if it makes the mission easier because I thought it mostly sucked and the one handed pursuit became a lot easier if you just equip the micro-grenade launcher and obliterate anything that walks round the corner.

I mean, I assumed as much, but it's not really clear where you should be swinging to much like everything else in the mission.

And yeah, I can't imagine anyone playing FC4 without the sidearm grenade launcher as a permanent part of their inventory.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

John Murdoch posted:

And yeah, I can't imagine anyone playing FC4 without the sidearm grenade launcher as a permanent part of their inventory.

I beat it without even picking the thing up. I have an unhealthy obsession with having a backup pistol in pretty much any game I can have one. Admittedly I don't remember much of FC4, but I'm pretty sure my strategy was "snipe everything, assault rifle everything else, melee takedown armored guys"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As much as I love Borderlands there’s two things I forgot about, and good god do they suck.

First: The Mad Mel fight. Sure, let’s have a car combat boss! This has nothing to do with your stats, equipment, skills, or action ability, and when your car inevitably explodes you have no way of fighting back and the boss car gets its health back! How wonderful! :argh:

Second: The Mad Moxxi DLC is garbage. 75 rounds of level scaled enemies that don’t give EXP, and that’s the first mission. And you have to do them in runs of 25 without quitting or losing, or your progress gets completely reset. Now I remember why I never bothered to finish this one.

e: 19 of 25 waves into the third arena and it stops spawning enemies entirely. I have to suicide back to wave 11. Fuuuuuck youuuu Moxie!! :mad:

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Jul 21, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JackSplater posted:

I beat it without even picking the thing up. I have an unhealthy obsession with having a backup pistol in pretty much any game I can have one. Admittedly I don't remember much of FC4, but I'm pretty sure my strategy was "snipe everything, assault rifle everything else, melee takedown armored guys"

You can equip it in non-sidearm slots, so you really missed out. I kept the silenced pistol around right next to the grenade launcher up until I had access to the silenced vector and AK.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The worst part about the moxxi dlc is that your ultimate reward for suffering through about 500 repetitive waves of enemies is... A couple more skill points. Not even, like, a gun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where's my Danganronpa Switch port at?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

The worst part about the moxxi dlc is that your ultimate reward for suffering through about 500 repetitive waves of enemies is... A couple more skill points. Not even, like, a gun.

There’s random guns that drop between rounds, which are scaled to you at least, but they’ve all been white/green so far for me. :shepicide:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Thing is, if you're an ultra min/maxer you want those skill points because they're inherently valuable. If you got some kind of amazing gun at the end of it (like maybe the equivalent of the Moxxi guns from 2) then you'd also feel obligated to get it in the same way people feel obligated to farm for the best stuff in 2. If the gun was just another dumb gimmicky throwaway weapon, then we'd be here complaining that all you get at the end is a worthless gun that makes fart noises.

Basically the answer isn't to make the prize more interesting, it's to not have the world's longest and most tedious arena grind in the first place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

John Murdoch posted:

Thing is, if you're an ultra min/maxer you want those skill points because they're inherently valuable. If you got some kind of amazing gun at the end of it (like maybe the equivalent of the Moxxi guns from 2) then you'd also feel obligated to get it in the same way people feel obligated to farm for the best stuff in 2. If the gun was just another dumb gimmicky throwaway weapon, then we'd be here complaining that all you get at the end is a worthless gun that makes fart noises.

Basically the answer isn't to make the prize more interesting, it's to not have the world's longest and most tedious arena grind in the first place.

It’s at least a neat way to test out your build (I’m having fun because I can shoot out a nine-target homing exploding bird with a one second cooldown) but yeah it should have been 3 rounds each, then 5 rounds for the “big” fights.

5 rounds of 5 waves is enough of a slog as it is, taking that to 20x5 for the longer arenas is just unnecessary.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

It’s at least a neat way to test out your build (I’m having fun because I can shoot out a nine-target homing exploding bird with a one second cooldown) but yeah it should have been 3 rounds each, then 5 rounds for the “big” fights.

5 rounds of 5 waves is enough of a slog as it is, taking that to 20x5 for the longer arenas is just unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm a weirdo who likes Borderlands' combat overall and I dig the arena stuff present in the base games well enough so I don't hate the idea in a vacuum. But the ones in the main games show up once in a while as optional diversions whereas the DLC just dumps them all in your lap at once. Even if you swapped between the main game and the arena fights it would still hurt the pacing no matter how you slice it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone in Horizon Zero Dawn has terrible facial hair:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can't be sure if those are characters from Horizon Zero Dawn or white dudes from Ft. Greene.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In Shadow of War you are unable to dominate enemy captains that are a higher level than you. You can shame the captains to reduce their level but there also seems to be a chance for the enemy to become deranged.

I’ve lost two super cool personalities that I wanted because they both became deranged when I lowered their levels.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I put over 200 hours into MHGU, 100 into MH4, and a few dozen into earlier titles. Yet I just can't get into MHW very much at all. The combat feels weird, I can't really pin it down but the "jank" in the earlier games was kind of fun. In this one fighting monsters isn't really satisfying. They've always been health sponges in earlier games but I'm getting more and more annoyed at how long and tedious each fight tends to be. Maybe it's because I'm using a hunting horn and should try other weapons?

I'm also not a fan of the zone-free world. Yeah it's kinda cool that the world is seamless but now everything is a blur and there's no real sense of exploration. Follow trail of lights, fight monster, chase monster. The world is basically just a wallpaper, it seems like geography etc no longer matters much. I got to the Rotten Vale so I fgure the game isn't gonna change much moving forward. It's definitely not a terrible time but compared to the earlier games I'm just not getting hooked. Oh well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

In Shadow of War you are unable to dominate enemy captains that are a higher level than you. You can shame the captains to reduce their level but there also seems to be a chance for the enemy to become deranged.

I’ve lost two super cool personalities that I wanted because they both became deranged when I lowered their levels.
I got annoyed about this with one captain and took it on myself to keep shaming him again and again until he was reduced to level 1 and lived in constant fear of me. Then I quit playing. It's an alright game but it's way too long, I can't imagine trying to finish it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I put over 200 hours into MHGU, 100 into MH4, and a few dozen into earlier titles. Yet I just can't get into MHW very much at all. The combat feels weird, I can't really pin it down but the "jank" in the earlier games was kind of fun. In this one fighting monsters isn't really satisfying. They've always been health sponges in earlier games but I'm getting more and more annoyed at how long and tedious each fight tends to be. Maybe it's because I'm using a hunting horn and should try other weapons?

I'm also not a fan of the zone-free world. Yeah it's kinda cool that the world is seamless but now everything is a blur and there's no real sense of exploration. Follow trail of lights, fight monster, chase monster. The world is basically just a wallpaper, it seems like geography etc no longer matters much. I got to the Rotten Vale so I fgure the game isn't gonna change much moving forward. It's definitely not a terrible time but compared to the earlier games I'm just not getting hooked. Oh well
It's because MHW was a Monster Hunter game created to draw in new players, kind of like a soft reboot. If you like the idiosyncrasies and gameplay of the rest of the series it won't appeal to you as much for the same reason it appealed to other people: it's just different from the other games.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm really enjoying Yakuza Zero, it's the first of the series I've played, and I'm having a blast Ganzo Bombing people into the pavement as Kiryu or going absolutely ape-poo poo on crowds of Yakuza with Goro's baseball bat.

BUT

The save system is absolutely obnoxious, and having to complete a 20-minute action sequence followed by a 40 loving minute cutscene, followed by it being luck of the draw as to whether the game will actually allow me to immediately walk to a phone booth to save or whether I've got another action sequence and cutscene means that it severely limits the times when I can actually sit down and play it.

And the seediness of the game environment has run the gamut from "thematically justified" through "downright pervy" and all the way to "embarrassing fanservice". If I actually have to complete those stupid loving cabaret club minigames as Goro I'm not sure I'll end up finishing the game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Breetai posted:

And the seediness of the game environment has run the gamut from "thematically justified" through "downright pervy" and all the way to "embarrassing fanservice". If I actually have to complete those stupid loving cabaret club minigames as Goro I'm not sure I'll end up finishing the game.

Yo the Yakuza IRL are into sex trafficking and sex tourism and other even seedier things, so yeah, it's gonna be a thing in those games. They may be charming, but all the charm in the world doesn't change the fact the criminal organization the game is based upon is trying to commodify sexual exploitation.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Jul 22, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

moosecow333 posted:

I recently played it and the first time I Deranged someone I felt awful. It's already messed up mentally hijacking the orc, but to completely lobotomize 'em was a bit much.

And yes, I realize just a game and all, but loving with minds just sits unwell with me.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jul 22, 2019

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yo the Yakuza IRL are into sex trafficking and sex tourism and other even seedier things, so yeah, it's gonna be a thing in those games. They may be charming, but all the charm in the world doesn't change the fact the criminal organization the game is based upon is trying to commodify sexual exploitation.

It's a matter of how it's portrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Saints Row 3 and anything dealing with Zimos (other than the autotuning)