Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

They seem to have walked that back. Now it's 'anything that doesn't kill him instantly.' Of course Mystique could have just been guessing.

Not "walked back" so much as "escalated his powers to the point that it would make Superman blush". Wolverine before roughly 1988 could get hurt, injuries took time to heal, and there was every indication that a severe enough injury would kill him. Then around the time of his solo series it started escalating. It wasn't just his solo series, of course, more of a general sign of the times where a hero that could heal had to be involved with lots of violence and those things done to him. Between wanting to show how tough Wolverine was and reaching for more and more extreme moments, they walked him up to the stupid points we have now.

Probably the last hurrah for classic "He'll get better but this may kill him" Wolverine was the end of the Outback era X-Men where he got beaten almost to death by a bunch of cyborgs, then crucified, and would have died if Jubilee hadn't been hiding around the X-Men. Then he spends months recuperating where his body wasn't able to heal very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Probably the last hurrah for classic "He'll get better but this may kill him" Wolverine was the end of the Outback era X-Men where he got beaten almost to death by a bunch of cyborgs, then crucified, and would have died if Jubilee hadn't been hiding around the X-Men. Then he spends months recuperating where his body wasn't able to heal very well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is Wolverine still 'dead' these days because he got covered in Adamantium? Or has he already gotten better from that?

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, after Magneto pulled out his adamantium, he stopped wearing a full mask (instead going with just a bandanna) and his nose mostly disappeared. He also get edgy lettering.

Those fuckin' sideburns, yowza!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He got better awhile ago.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Your forgetting about the 2004 ish run where everytime Wolverine is close to death he has a dream of fighting some kind of mystical warrior that resembles Kenshiro. He has to beat that fight in the spirit realm everytime he survives something like a Nitro turning him into a skeleton

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Bullshit. He survived getting a nuke dropped on him twice and has regenerated from a skeleton multiple times. You could instantly turn every cell in his body into ash but one and he'd get over it.

Chill out. I expressed what I thought to be true about a mutant healing factor, not something important.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I feel like Wolverine started the entire idea of "regeneration" as a super-power and I bet it was just originally to be a different version of "is real tough" for flavor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maybe the idea of it not turning you into a homicidal lizard person.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

I feel like Wolverine started the entire idea of "regeneration" as a super-power and I bet it was just originally to be a different version of "is real tough" for flavor.

Actually, the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man explicitly had "could heal fast" as one of his superpowers. It wasn't sealing cuts shut, but it was their way to explain why a badly hurt Peter Parker could be better next week.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alright, I feel like nowadays, when I read any comic I have more and more idiot questions, but I started reading Age of X-Man stuff (I wish I hadn't), what's up with Colossus and Magneto?

Colossus doesn't have an arm, Magneto doesn't have an eye. We're these pre- AOXM things or did they just randomly get these injuries when reality changed?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Alright, I feel like nowadays, when I read any comic I have more and more idiot questions, but I started reading Age of X-Man stuff (I wish I hadn't), what's up with Colossus and Magneto?

Colossus doesn't have an arm, Magneto doesn't have an eye. We're these pre- AOXM things or did they just randomly get these injuries when reality changed?

Pretty sure that's an AoXM thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

The latter.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's just to imply that they've had different histories in this reality.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man explicitly had "could heal fast" as one of his superpowers. It wasn't sealing cuts shut, but it was their way to explain why a badly hurt Peter Parker could be better next week.

Once I started thinking about it, I just assumed that one of the fundamental differences between the MU and reality was that everyone just heals faster and more efficiently than we do, but the supers really really do.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That's an action movie trope too. Get thrown through a wall today, you'll be fine by tomorrow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

Chill out. I expressed what I thought to be true about a mutant healing factor, not something important.

My correcting you on a comic book fact isn't an expression of anger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'M ANGRY ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

I'M ANGRY ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE

...Ned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

My correcting you on a comic book fact isn't an expression of anger.

starting a text post that has no tone of voice or body language with "Bullshit" is a great way to get that across :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alaois posted:

starting a text post that has no tone of voice or body language with "Bullshit" is a great way to get that across :v:

I'll refrain from swearing on these christian forums in the future. :angel:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'll refrain from swearing on these christian forums in the future. :angel:

Bullshit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a good guide to selling individual comic books in bulk? Specifically the packaging? I want to sell like 90% of my comic book collection and move to trades and digital. But I figure that comic books are more fragile to ship, and people want them in the best condition as possible.

EDIT: Awe, I was hoping there was a comic selling mega thread in SA-Mart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sold 60 long boxes last year for bulk pricing. Just put an ad up and be glad to he rid of them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I could do that with my comic shop, but I'd rather avoid resellers and middleman. I don't mind selling slowly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

Yeah, I could do that with my comic shop, but I'd rather avoid resellers and middleman. I don't mind selling slowly.

You say that now.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I cataloged and priced my 2000 book collection from the late 80s to mid 90s and it was worth only the sum of the sticker prices. Pulled out the 100 or so that were either worth anything or had sentimental value and donated the rest to the native youth shelter down the street.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I'm reading the city of heroes comics and there's a jury trial story where a hero is on trial, and it's the law there that all trials where a hero is the defendant have to use other heroes for jury members because one was once convicted and filled an appeal saying without them on the jury it wasn't a jury of their peers, and won. Has any other universe dealt with that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

So I'm reading the city of heroes comics and there's a jury trial story where a hero is on trial, and it's the law there that all trials where a hero is the defendant have to use other heroes for jury members because one was once convicted and filled an appeal saying without them on the jury it wasn't a jury of their peers, and won. Has any other universe dealt with that?

That sounds kind of bonkers and ripe for abuse.

Like did a police officer follow up with "Well, if I ever get put on trial the only jury members can only be police officers?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean it does make you wonder how society would change if there were that many goddamn superheroes. Like if you've got a Justice League's worth, that's one thing, but if like every person in 50 is a super, there's no way it wouldn't screw up the societal fabric in some way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds kind of bonkers and ripe for abuse.

Like did a police officer follow up with "Well, if I ever get put on trial the only jury members can only be police officers?"

I'm just going through it now so it may get further discussed later, but this is the page

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean it does make you wonder how society would change if there were that many goddamn superheroes. Like if you've got a Justice League's worth, that's one thing, but if like every person in 50 is a super, there's no way it wouldn't screw up the societal fabric in some way.

In the 616 Marvel Universe you have millions and millions of mutants and inhumans. Like 1 out of 100 people has powers at this point.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

It might have some swing if you are arguing that super heroes are different to normal people as literal uber mensches/ the next step in human evolution.

But you have to go down the Warren Ellis/ Alan Moore schools of post humanity to be in with a shot at it.

I have heard arguments that juries in complex white collar crime/fraud cases should be accountants and business professionals, but that creates further problems.

I have heard of a case where the defendant wanted an all Male jury because women were out to get him. It went about as well for him as you'd expect.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the mini arc is literally cribbing 12 angry men, but does seem to be at least giving a superficial excuse for why it might be useful, as they start getting into the weeds over the crime and using their knowledge as heroes in their respective fields as they deliberate. it's more interesting than i expected from a crappy tie-in anyways

theyre free so check it out i guess if you wanna see what im talking about

http://www.cityofheroes.ca/media-and-downloads/comic-archive/bk_issue5.pdf

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Roth posted:

I'd only recommend it if you hate mutant stuff myself

I should have listened to you. Why didn't I listen to you? Did the author have a bet going with someone about how many characters he could kill off?

Also, I'll probably regret asking this, but Betsy got her old body back and Revanche is alive again? :psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I should have listened to you. Why didn't I listen to you? Did the author have a bet going with someone about how many characters he could kill off?

Also, I'll probably regret asking this, but Betsy got her old body back and Revanche is alive again? :psyduck:

I don't know about Revanche, but Betsy just came up in the Marvel thread.

Edge & Christian posted:

In one of the completely superfluous/red herring Hunt for Wolverine mini-series (Mystery in Madripoor) a bunch of X-Women went down to, well, Madripoor to see if Wolverine was alive and hiding out there. He wasn't, but through mechanisms I no longer remember Betsy's original body was reconstituted and her mind is back in her original body. Then her old body that woke up and Kwannon's mind was back in it. Neither of them have done anything of note since then.

Alaois posted:

A-ha! Is this my chance?

The team was ambushed by a bunch of old Erik Larsen characters and SAPPHIRE STYX, capturing Storm, Rogue and Psylocke. Sapphire Styx, being a psychic vampire, fed on Psylocke's energy but accidentally "killed her" by completely absorbing her consciousness. So Betsy's consciousness was floating around the massive psychic sea of consciousnesses that Styx has absorbed over the years eventually finding the willpower to use Styx's own psychic power to rebuild her original body, "atom by atom" until she burst out of Styx's body like Neo and Agent Smith at the end of the first Matrix movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

In the 616 Marvel Universe you have millions and millions of mutants and inhumans. Like 1 out of 100 people has powers at this point.

Yeah but it's a long-running editorial mandate that it can't change society so much that it's not recognizable to us, except in What If situations. Other universes don't have this self-imposed limitation and are free to explore questions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds a little like Kingdom Come.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

Reminds me of the trial of the White Tiger, when Matt Murdock called Mr. Fantastic as an expert witness in the field of "being a superhero."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I subscribed to City of Heroes for years and they sent you the comic for free. I bagged and boarded them and never even cracked an issue.