Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Campbell posted:

So what should I do with:
* Old gear from leveling dungeons (should i even care about spiritbond w/ non max-level stuff?)
* Random potions from quests
* Random food from quests
* Random crafting mats from leveling
* Dyes
* Materia (i - iv)

Do I just need to spend an afternoon doing some crafting stuff since it'll grow my character numbers? Just vendor everything and keep on advancing through story?

Old gear is probably best thrown out to the GC for seals, or turned into materia if it's already spiritbonded. If you're going to level something else, you can get the gear back or just get tomestone gear.
Vendor the potions and food, and probably the crafting mats. Most of the low level mats are bulk harvested by bots or people with a dozen retainers, and most everything hovers around vendor price on my server anyways.
Dyes are probably worth putting on the marketboard.
Marketboard the materia if you can get better than vendor, plus tax. Gamblers and desynthers bulk buy tons of the poo poo, regardless of level.

If or when you do decide to work on crafters, you can either gather or buy the poo poo you need back. No point on hanging on to 10 chicken feathers if you won't even need them in your levelling.

e: The thing I'm trying to say here is don't hoard poo poo. 99% of the time, you don't need it, it's worthless, and it just takes up space.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So as someone who hasn't touched a crafting class since about 2.3 and who's highest level DoH is like 23, can someone give me a primer as to getting started in crafting? I remember back in 2.x you pretty much had to be an Omnicrafter because the process to leveling one trade to max involved getting most of the others to at least 37 for cross-class skills. Is that still the case or did they change things to where you can kind of stay more in your lane and focus on one thing at a time? I keep thinking about leveling some tradeskills some day, but the process to get started just seems overwhelming.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

DeathSandwich posted:

The counterpoint seems to be MNK and DRG are both very positional dependant though, so they constantly have to dance around to get their ideal damage output and any situation where you either can't get flank/back shots due to the boss existing on the side of the arena (Cloud of Darkness style)

Bosses that exist outside the arena like CoD, doomtrain, NED, etc., 24 man bosses that stay smack in the center and the raids spread out around them like TGC, Ozma, etc., and bosses who have absolute scripted movement like Chardanook (I can't remember any others off the top of my head) satisfy all positional requirements no matter where you hit them from. Basically, for bosses where the player has at no part of the fight any control over boss positioning/movement, you just don't have to worry about positionals at all.

And also everything in Eureka, which is a minor blessing. I'm not sure whether that includes BA.

DeathSandwich posted:

So as someone who hasn't touched a crafting class since about 2.3 and who's highest level DoH is like 23, can someone give me a primer as to getting started in crafting? I remember back in 2.x you pretty much had to be an Omnicrafter because the process to leveling one trade to max involved getting most of the others to at least 37 for cross-class skills. Is that still the case or did they change things to where you can kind of stay more in your lane and focus on one thing at a time? I keep thinking about leveling some tradeskills some day, but the process to get started just seems overwhelming.

Omnicrafting helps a lot with high level crafts, but now that they've added Steady Hand 2 and Byregot's Blessing to every class, it's far easier to do one at a time if you want to. Just know that final recipes will usually require intermediate materials that other classes make, so if you're not crafting them yourself, you'll need to either buy them or have a friend help out.

Telum fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 19, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

They've made two of the most vital cross-class skills (Steady Hand II and Byregot's Blessing) a thing all crafting jobs just get, now, but you're still kind of nudged to omnicrafting if only due to lasting demand for intermediate materials. If you've got the gil to grab the things you need from the market board, though, it's a lot easier now to get by on a single crafter than it's been for past expansions.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

DeathSandwich posted:

Short version if you're a lazy POS and absolutely don't want to interact with these systems in the intended way because all you really care about is combat:

1. Use leves to get botanist/miner to 50, trade up your whites every few levels to make sure you're at gear parity
2. Sell crystals/shards to make money or ask a friend to set you up with some HQ level 50 gatherer gear
3. Begin the collectables/custom delivery routine to accelerate your gatherer and begin earning scrip (at 60 you can start Namazu beast tribes to help with leveling)
4. Sell scrip tradeins (read: materia/sand) for gil because you will get way more scrip than you ever could possibly use on anything in the process of leveling via collectables
5. Use this gil to purchase vendorable turnins for leves on your crafters to level them to 50 and begin the treadmill on beast tribes (moogle/namazu)/custom deliveries.

Omnicrafting is no longer strictly necessary but there remains little compelling reason not to do it even after 5.0 changes.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

DeathSandwich posted:

Others have talked about the skill changes so I'll touch a bit on options for actual levelling.

Crafting Guildleves: Every major city and settlement has a Leve npc which gives you quests to provide certain crafted items in various amounts. These are all fixed - they'll always ask for the same items and provide similar rewards each time, meaning you can either craft these items in bulk, or buy them straight off the market board, and turn them in for money. Turning in HQ items doubles the exp reward and you should always try to do so. You are limited in the number of these you can do by your Leve Allowances, which cap at 100 and restore 6 per real life day. Under 50, these leve quests can be found first in the three starting cities and then in 2.0 areas like Camp Dragonhead or Mor Dhona as you get closer to level 50. After 50, the Leve NPCs will always be in the expansion city (Ishgard, Kugane, Crystarium).

Beastman Quests: There's one beastman tribe per expansion which deal entirely with crafting and provide a small quest line and daily activities which give you experience and currency that you can turn into crafting support items, materia, or crafting materials. Under 50 this is the Ixali who are based in North Shroud (I believe the quest might start in Gridania? Not sure). 51-60 is Moogles, in Churning Mists. 61-70 is Namazu, in Azim Steppe. None of the quests are particularly hard and all of them will scale to your crafting level, so they're good options to do daily.

Collectable Turn-ins: Once you hit level 50 on a crafter job you unlock a toggle action that allows you to craft items as Collectables instead of regular things. The major difference is that while a normal item builds quality to improve HQ chance, a collectable uses quality as a value, a score. On a daily basis you can turn in certain collectable items to NPCs located in the endgame hubs for each expansion (Mor Dhona, Idyllshire, Rhalgr's Reach, Eulmore) for exp rewards. Additionally, at higher levels you will also get a certain currency called Scrips, which can be turned in for useful items, gear, and materia. You can see which specific items are available to be turned in, and what you'll get for them, by checking House of Splendors in your Timers menu. There may be a quest involved before you can do this; level a craft to 50 and poke around endgame hubs to see if one pops up. Collectable rewards aren't as big as Leve or Beastmen quest rewards, but there's no timed limit to them either; if you still want to level after you've exhausted other options, you can make these to continue levelling.

You should be noticing a pattern here: the most efficient levelling methods aren't really about grinding out a lot of random crafts but targeting specific things in demand and providing them to specific NPCs for big exp rewards. Note that grinding out random crafts DOES help at lower levels, due to the exp bonus you get for crafting something for the first time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

why does the story in this stupid game have to make me feel feelings

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Emalde posted:

Short version if you're a lazy POS and absolutely don't want to interact with these systems in the intended way because all you really care about is combat:

1. Use leves to get botanist/miner to 50, trade up your whites every few levels to make sure you're at gear parity
2. Sell crystals/shards to make money or ask a friend to set you up with some HQ level 50 gatherer gear
3. Begin the collectables/custom delivery routine to accelerate your gatherer and begin earning scrip (at 60 you can start Namazu beast tribes to help with leveling)
4. Sell scrip tradeins (read: materia/sand) for gil because you will get way more scrip than you ever could possibly use on anything in the process of leveling via collectables
5. Use this gil to purchase vendorable turnins for leves on your crafters to level them to 50 and begin the treadmill on beast tribes (moogle/namazu)/custom deliveries.

Omnicrafting is no longer strictly necessary but there remains little compelling reason not to do it even after 5.0 changes.

Solid, seems like a way to go forward for me.

It's not that I specifically hate Omnicrafting, it's just that I kind of wanted to zone in on one thing at a time. It always seemed weird that the best way to get good at weaving/armorsmithing/whatever was to actually be a skilled culinarian first.

I remember back in ARR days that for a while I was just doing grand company supply turnins by buying things off the market and leveling up everything little by little. I figure I'll do that again as long as my money comfortably holds up for crafting levels while I focus on level Botany and mining at least in the immediate term. I assume keep an eye on the market and MB anything that sells reasonably above vendor value for anything I'm not keeping for myself?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Campbell posted:

I've been fully focused on getting through ARR and HW - now my inventories (personal, chocobo, 2 retainers) are pretty much maxxed out with random crap I have no idea what to do with.

I haven't done any crafting/trade skills because it feels like wasted effort to work on outdated stuff? Maybe I'm wrong there though. The Market Board sounds tempting but I'm not up to speed on how to actually price stuff.

So what should I do with:
* Old gear from leveling dungeons (should i even care about spiritbond w/ non max-level stuff?)
* Random potions from quests
* Random food from quests
* Random crafting mats from leveling
* Dyes
* Materia (i - iv)

Do I just need to spend an afternoon doing some crafting stuff since it'll grow my character numbers? Just vendor everything and keep on advancing through story?
You can do a price check from the sell menu on your retainer.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Solid, seems like a way to go forward for me.

It's not that I specifically hate Omnicrafting, it's just that I kind of wanted to zone in on one thing at a time. It always seemed weird that the best way to get good at weaving/armorsmithing/whatever was to actually be a skilled culinarian first.

I remember back in ARR days that for a while I was just doing grand company supply turnins by buying things off the market and leveling up everything little by little. I figure I'll do that again as long as my money comfortably holds up for crafting levels while I focus on level Botany and mining at least in the immediate term. I assume keep an eye on the market and MB anything that sells reasonably above vendor value for anything I'm not keeping for myself?

When leveling via leves/collectables for gatherer you wont actually get anything you can sell, which is why I suggested crystal/shards since those will always Move for Some Value. If you want to do extra homework to see if anything between 1-50 is worth gathering and selling for supplemental income, you're already ahead of the game :v:

Note that scrip is also your gearing device for 60 (buying the lv58? tokens you trade at Idyllshire) and 70 (directly via yellow) once you reach those levels. You'll want 600GP once you start doing collectables, which should be doable with some cheap food when you're outfitted in your HQlv50 gear.

Buying vendor whites for crafter levequests is disgustingly inefficient and sometimes players are dumb and sell them for sub-vendor value so keep an eye on that. https://ffxivcrafting.com/levequests is your new best friend.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 19, 2019

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Emalde posted:

I asked a similar "what's the tl;dr how to gather/craft" question in the last thread (still haven't gotten around to actually doing it) and I've noticed that in both the answer I got in the last thread and in this one here, you both mention BOT/MIN as gathering classes but don't mention FSH. Is FSH just useless unless you want to level it for its own sake?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

To the goon I was just doing LLDR with: I got kicked off because of suspicious account activity, sorry

Emalde
May 3, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

I asked a similar "what's the tl;dr how to gather/craft" question in the last thread (still haven't gotten around to actually doing it) and I've noticed that in both the answer I got in the last thread and in this one here, you both mention BOT/MIN as gathering classes but don't mention FSH. Is FSH just useless unless you want to level it for its own sake?

Fisher doesn't function the same way that Miner/Botanist do until 61? or something (spearfishing), and there's no "lazy" way to level them as the 1-50 levequests for fisher:

1. require real fish, not the fake materials that are bullshitted into the tasks for min/bot
2. rotate frequently so you can't just catch one type of fish for a tier, you have to get all four different kinds of required levequest fish

as such, you spend a lot of time Actually Fishing which means waiting around doing nothing because it's not a point-and-click affair like the other two gatherers until spearfishing and putting up with a real actual learning curve on how fishing skills interact.

e: vvvv is also an option but wildly expensive and not really something you're going to be able to do if you're asking these questions about gather/craft in the first place :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 19, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I bought every leve fish off the board and never looked back.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Leveling FSH was surprisingly quick with +XP manuals. I chased specific leves but there's a lot of XP along the way, especially with a decent HQ catch rate.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

S.J. posted:

why does the story in this stupid game have to make me feel feelings

Cause it's fantastic like that. Haven't cried this much over a game since Nier.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey bud. I thought about you recently.

Your Computer posted:

there are so many of them I'm convinced squeenix doesn't even care, like one day I took this screenshot

and notice the scrollbar - 90% of that list was bots. They even have their own FCs so it takes about 2 clicks to find hundreds and hundreds of them, like this or this or this or... you get the idea. It sucks and there isn't even a good way to report them :sigh:

Let's use a metaphor. If an arrest is an individual ban, then a raid or bust is a ban wave.

It lets them track interactions that they can further flag for inspection, and they chop out a bunch of them at once, instead of in a trickle that may not have any appreciable outward impact. Ban waves go out as waves almost certainly for this reason.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 19, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just did this sidequest, it was bittersweet.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

probably the only game screenshot that makes me tear up

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Been a long time, I'm a giant lion-man now, and also wearing a sequined poncho.

Look poo poo's been wild okay?"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zack Ater posted:

Bosses that exist outside the arena like CoD, doomtrain, NED, etc., 24 man bosses that stay smack in the center and the raids spread out around them like TGC, Ozma, etc., and bosses who have absolute scripted movement like Chardanook (I can't remember any others off the top of my head) satisfy all positional requirements no matter where you hit them from. Basically, for bosses where the player has at no part of the fight any control over boss positioning/movement, you just don't have to worry about positionals at all.

And also everything in Eureka, which is a minor blessing. I'm not sure whether that includes BA.

PotD and HoH mobs all have this. I want to say some striking dummies do too though I forget if they changed old dummies to being omnidirectional, because I do remember the oldest of them having front's and flanks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yo buddy... Still alive?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I find it very interesting that BLM's goal is to push between two and three buttons and avoid pushing the others as much as possible. It's such a good class.

That's my goal as a WHM as well.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I leveled "fast" with fishing cause sometimes RNG is bullshit so I end up catching a lot of other things in the process of trying to catch what I actually want to get.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

"Been a long time, I'm a giant lion-man now, and also wearing a sequined poncho.

Look poo poo's been wild okay?"

I was trying for silk. I'm not fabulous enough for sequins. =(

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Thundarr posted:

There's already 2FA via a temp password token. It's a very good idea to set it up and requiring it would also make large bot farms much more annoying to run. But I can understand why they'd be leery about mandating 2FA for everyone.

There seems to be an issue with the phone app, at least for certain carriers. I've had my app completely reset a couple of times since using Google Fi as a carrier, which completely locks you out of your account if you didn't keep the emergency reset password saved somewhere.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Been playing MCH and my only complaint is how the reset on your ogcds works. It's just horrible, and I'd rather they go back to longer cds with more potency or something. Otherwise the new rotation is great.

Though referring back to job balance, I played RDM in SB and now in ShB it just feels significantly weaker. I don't know if it's because I leveled BLM right on it's tail, but using RDM for anything doesn't feel as satisfying as it used to. I hope it's just in my head though, as I always miss the rez when I do content as a tank or BLM.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Eimi posted:

Though referring back to job balance, I played RDM in SB and now in ShB it just feels significantly weaker. I don't know if it's because I leveled BLM right on it's tail, but using RDM for anything doesn't feel as satisfying as it used to. I hope it's just in my head though, as I always miss the rez when I do content as a tank or BLM.

I think RDM's problem is the AOE's feel kind of weak compared to the single target spells, plus your mana meters build up incredibly slowly using AOE spells. So it feels like you're just sitting there nuking over and over and over again without doing any of your flashy melee moves for longer than usual. I'm not sure if that's actually the case compared to just double-Scattering mob groups in SB but that's what it feels like.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
RDM is a lot of work for a little less payoff than other DPS. That said, it can still compete, and getting off emergency rezzes is a lot of fun on new content.

I'm leveling some other stuff right now. Might switch to BLM or BRD, but I still have a lot of fun as a red.

E: I should note that by "a lot of work," I mean the need to execute perfectly. The rotation is still dead simple but since you already start weaker than, say, a SAM, you'll feel mistakes a lot more. I feel like I have a little more leeway on other jobs if I miss something all of a sudden since they're already pulling a ton of dps.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 19, 2019

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

So a head's up for any of my warriors out there, if you're under vengeance and use arm's length, anything you counter attack will not be affected by arm's length's slow. Likely some good ol' spaghetti code about there only being 1 slot for on-hit counter-effects but don't blow both of your 2 minute cds at once.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I think RDM's problem is the AOE's feel kind of weak compared to the single target spells, plus your mana meters build up incredibly slowly using AOE spells. So it feels like you're just sitting there nuking over and over and over again without doing any of your flashy melee moves for longer than usual. I'm not sure if that's actually the case compared to just double-Scattering mob groups in SB but that's what it feels like.

You gain mana about ~35% slower vs 4.0 Scatter spam, but Moulinet costs 33% less than it used to and your AOE spells have a much higher potency than they used to. I think the problem a lot of people have is that they somehow feel the need to cap out their mana before using Moulinet. There's no real benefit to it unless you're gonna burn Manafication on it, at which point you'd want to build to 100, Moulinet down to 60, Manafication back to 100 and then spam out five more.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

YorexTheMad posted:

There seems to be an issue with the phone app, at least for certain carriers. I've had my app completely reset a couple of times since using Google Fi as a carrier, which completely locks you out of your account if you didn't keep the emergency reset password saved somewhere.

It appears a sufficiently meaty OS upgrade can desync your Square 2fa app. Happened to me last week when my Pixel updated to the new beta of Q.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. The AOE dps is fine but it feels really slow for some reason, even if scatter spam was a lot more simplistic. Maybe it's because it mirrors the single target rotation now, but without really building to any dramatic finale, just the occasional moulinet.

The class is still fine though, really. I suspect if someone hadn't burned out on it during StB that they'd find it still fun now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the only real reason to build 100 mana is if you intend on using Embolden. there's no advantage to building to 100, spending 40, and then using manafication, rather than just building to 50/50+

also when you use manafication make sure to end it with a swiftcast Impact or you're out of the static

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

finally got my first garo title so im safe from content removal :toot:

also the makai ranged set looks pretty dope

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kerrzhe posted:

finally got my first garo title so im safe from content removal :toot:

The mount achievements will be unobtainable after 5.1 too, just in case you didn't know.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Why does the ARR MSQ jump from level 46 to 49? This is hosed up. :negative:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Now imagine this, but you didn't have any roulettes available.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

They may feel weak but looking at the parse numbers: they aren't. Red Mage has really high AOE dps.