Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hand Knit posted:

As I remember it, it was the "modernization of records" program where it was announced they were going electronic. Someone managed to leak the instructions given to aides for what they were supposed to be doing, and there were no actual instructions for digitizing and uploading. They were just being told to throw everything out.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Isn’t 7 years the CRA rule? Like the businesses need to keep files for 7 years before they can be destroyed because the CRA can ask for original receipts, etc. going back 7 years.

Hexigrammus posted:

Much as I hate the Harper Gang, that sounds like utter bullshit. It’s possible some old paper records were destroyed during the Great Library Purge as collateral damage during slash-and-burn austerity measures. In the cases I’m familiar with there was no coherent plan to protect rare or unique volumes.

What scientist is going to limit themselves to 1% of the data? That’s just weird.

Someone probably got confused about government business record retention rules. Unless specifically archived a lot of business records can be purged after seven years. Since many of these are made up of the minutes of obscure committees spinning their wheels over problems only important to a very small subset of government it’s debatable if anything of value is lost. Besides, it’s depressing as hell to read exchanges between your predecessors thirty years ago on an issue you’re struggling with and realize that we’ve learned absolutely nothing in the intervening years.

Basically what I'm figuring is the person I was arguing with confused/conflated various different rules together; and misinterpreted what happened with those conflated rules. So the Great Library Purge was an actual thing, and there's nothing that says federally backed/funded research data *has* to be destroyed after a certain period of time? It's actually the reverse? You *cannot* destroy data/records until 7 years?

This person also thinks Norway's sovereign wealth fund is the exact same thing but just "named differently" from the Strategic Oil Reserve. So talking climate policy in general has been pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Now Scheer is saying that the new food guide reflects an “anti-milk bias”. How many bodies did the dairy farmers hide for him? :psyduck:

I mean, Scheer is really dumb.

Remember, like the day after legalization he was saying he would consider making it illegal again if the CPC wins.
It took an entire week, likely for somebody to explain to him that, no, don't do that. And then he was like "actually, we won't"

Dude literally can't think for himself.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Raenir Salazar posted:

So the Great Library Purge was an actual thing, and there's nothing that says federally backed/funded research data *has* to be destroyed after a certain period of time? It's actually the reverse? You *cannot* destroy data/records until 7 years?

You can't destroy it at all until the archivist has had their say.

Not sure how this comes into play when the PMO says "I want these inconvenient facts memory-holed". Guessing it involves workers squirreling away records in their cars, and maybe someone gets fired for singing a song.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

They very literally won the tory leadership for him and I think they now probably understand that thanks to CPC rules, their relatively small numbers can have a lot of influence in the party if they stay involved. He's married to them.
I guess I'm just surprised at how painfully obvious he's being about the whole thing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Doug Ford: Killers found NCR should be locked up forever.

Make up your mind man do you want taxpayer-funded housing for the mentally ill or don't you

Also RIP my enhanced driver's license :(

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mr. Apollo posted:

I guess I'm just surprised at how painfully obvious he's being about the whole thing.

Did you miss this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XP5_qzBuk&t=5m6s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Drink the milk Scheer.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Oh no Scheer made me lol. Is it in the Gulag for me?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
:nws: https://youtu.be/3egvShPj490 :nws:

This, but the guy is Andrew Scheer

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Isn’t 7 years the CRA rule? Like the businesses need to keep files for 7 years before they can be destroyed because the CRA can ask for original receipts, etc. going back 7 years.

Yeah this is the only 7 year rule I can think of

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's also 7 year record retention for lobbyists/GR for interactions with government employees or ministers AFAIK. I'm not sure entirely what it covers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

McMaster has lots of smart people*

*For Hamilton

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Scheer is such a worthless gammon

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Scheer almost begging for his party to get milkshake'd at this point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pleads posted:

Scheer almost begging for his party to get milkshake'd at this point.

We regret to inform you that the racist is a racist

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

flakeloaf posted:

We regret to inform you that the racist is a racist

I think he means get a milkshake thrown on them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yup I'm aware. Less "milkshake duck" and more "duck, milkshake"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mister Speaker posted:

This Ain't Hollywood, The Brain, Gate of India, some of the other hipster places on James Street, Absinthe, the nuclear reactor and the planetarium on McMaster campus, the conservation area and other hidden nature gems, the fact that the main thoroughfare is two one-way streets, countless bands, this video and the fact that Frankie Venom lived in the apartment above my Dad before they both passed away.

You absolutely did not just include club loving absinthe on a list of good things about Hamilton

And before you @ me I was at that garbage venue 2 weeks ago.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Saw an "END ICBC - VOTE LIBERTARIAN" bumper sticker out in the wild today.

These people are real. :catstare:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MA-Horus posted:

You absolutely did not just include club loving absinthe on a list of good things about Hamilton

It, uh, it has the Punk Rock flea market?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah but that was Press Gallery dinner so you expect them to make jokes about stuff like that. I didn't think he'd campaign on a literal "I belong to the dairy farmers" platform.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

It, uh, it has the Punk Rock flea market?

Gentrified punk, or Gen-X gets old

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So we have a federal election getting pretty close. We need volunteers to do a new op and some effort post write ups on major issues like housing, legal weed, failure of PR. Also maybe some nice photoshops of the party leaders, predictions of the outcome, etc. I am phone posting right now but if you guys can brainstorm any good ideas then maybe we can hand iut some free avatar changes or platinum accounts for whoever does the best... whatever ut is that we decide on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Can I write the official debates drinking game?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yes please, that would be awesome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Here's to 20 more years of Cheryl Gallant

quote:

Trudeau Liberals deny wilfully flooding Ottawa River

Cheryl Gallant asks: Why are Liberals aiming for annual flooding?

The Justin Trudeau government denies an accusation from MP Cheryl Gallant that the federal Liberals plan to deliberately flood the Ottawa River, destroying homes and businesses on an annual basis.

“[Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke] MP Gallant’s insinuation that the federal government is wilfully flooding properties for political reasons is categorically false,” said Emily Harris, a spokesperson at the ministry of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, via email.

Following several posts on Gallant’s website with titles such as “Why are Trudeau Liberals aiming for annual flooding of the Ottawa River?” and “Is bad politics behind recent flooding?” she sent a letter to the prime minister on July 3. In it, she links Plan 2014 – signed by the Liberal government three years ago to raise water levels in the Great Lakes watershed – to flooding in Renfrew county.

Gallant added that changes to the Fisheries Act have encouraged spring flooding to restore fish habitat.

“As ‘environmental flows’ are implemented for the recreation of wetlands, regular flooding is expected, and intended,” she wrote. It then demanded the Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board and the International Joint Commission recalculate the volume of water and the flow rate that can be safely released.

Trudeau’s office plans to respond with a letter but didn’t agree to send the Arnprior Chronicle-Guide a copy. To date, no one from the Liberal government has addressed Gallant’s assessment of Plan 2014 or Fisheries Act amendments. Harris’s lengthy email cited the Parliamentary Budget Officer and the Insurance Bureau of Canada issuing the same message: flooding is worse due to climate change.

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/9505424-trudeau-liberals-deny-wilfully-flooding-ottawa-river/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can I write the official debates drinking game?

Where are you proposing we play?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I’d be down for building an entry or two.

Possible ideas:

Carbon Tax/provincial opposition to it
Environmental party platforms/platform comparisons in general
Arms deals
Pipelines
Indig issues (and/or lpc response/engagement with, or even specifically JT’s “approach”))
TAXES! The finger thing means taxes. and funding increases/cuts
Jason Kenny/dofo
SNC-Lavalin

A bit further afield, but provincial political updates maybe? Leaders, movers and shakers, contemporary issues that would influence the federal election, upcoming provincial elections, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Real rich of Cheryl to accuse the feral government of trying to flood the river when Renfrew county doesn't have a water conservation authority.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am loving ready to send out my orange vote into the sea of blue I live in

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
CanPol Election 2019 - The last election under FPTP

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Where are you proposing we play?

Honestly? Depending on my work sched those nights, certain Ottawa goons are welcome to my townhouse. BYOB ya lushes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MA-Horus posted:

When it was on King Street yeeeeaars ago, it was a decent venue. I saw Priestess there and they ruled.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

When it was on King Street yeeeeaars ago, it was a decent venue. I saw Priestess there and they ruled.

Priestess owns hard.

Also, Doug Ford is a loving moron (not that you didn't already know that), on the NCR stuff.

Again, not really news, but another frustrating thing, where I will have to talk down some dipshits on Facebook about NCR.

:sigh:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

NZAmoeba posted:

CanPol Election 2019 - The last election under FPTP

CanPol Election 2019 - Racist Granddad, Manchild Brother-In-Law, Cool Uncle, Crazy Aunt or My Cool Brown Friend?

E: I keep editing this and it still sucks, sorry for the bad contribution

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

So we have a federal election getting pretty close. We need volunteers to do a new op and some effort post write ups on major issues like housing, legal weed, failure of PR. Also maybe some nice photoshops of the party leaders, predictions of the outcome, etc. I am phone posting right now but if you guys can brainstorm any good ideas then maybe we can hand iut some free avatar changes or platinum accounts for whoever does the best... whatever ut is that we decide on.

I'm happy to do the OP, provided I get some help from people on what issues to include and some funny photoshops.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
CanPol 2019 Election - A Canoe in Every Pot

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

CanPol 2019 Election - A Canoe in Every Pot

Pot in Every Canoe

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah this is the only 7 year rule I can think of

It’s 7 years for Canada too, but it’s not like you delete everything, it refers to a particular type of business documentation. Lots of stuff shouldn’t be saved at all, lots of stuff should be saved longer.

This is super relevant when it comes to ATIP requests.

Since the world has gone electronic we’ve really struggled with document retention policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Goddamn phones and phone plans are expensive in Canada.