Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Finally got a chance to check out the Char pics on something other than mobile. Looks really nice. Sorry the kit was such a dog, but it does provide you a good opportunity to try new techniques on a platform you're not terribly invested in emotionally.

Symetrique posted:

How are you gonna weather it more?

Enamels and pigments, mostly. In that pic, the only thing that's been weathered is the lower hull. Everything else is just painting, chipping, and shading with oil paints. I've started trying out some of the weathering products by Ammo and I've been pretty happy with them. At $8 a bottle, they're a little pricey, but they go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What can I use on the HobbyBoss rubber tracks to make them stuff and suitable for wargaming?(1:48 sherman kit)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What problem are you having with them?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

DiHK posted:

What can I use on the HobbyBoss rubber tracks to make them stuff and suitable for wargaming?(1:48 sherman kit)

I'd also like some tips and tricks regarding this, I have an Academy 1:48 T-72 on its way for wargaming purposes, and as I recall it also has rubber tracks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What non-Amazon online shops with US delivery do you folks prefer?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

What non-Amazon online shops with US delivery do you folks prefer?

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php

https://spraygunner.com/

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I like https://www.hobbylinc.com

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Need some opinions/guidance. I built a Loyd Carrier, and while I'm fairly happy with the paintjob on the body (I'm new to painting, and just do a basic job of hand painting, no weathering, panel washes, etc), I have no clue what to do with the canvas top.

It looks unfinished, and really out of place on the model. From the scant photos of the Loyd online, it seems like the canvas wasn't painted to match, so I think putting the caunter camo on it would look silly, but the only other thing I can think of would be weathering it, which I don't really know how to approach. I feel like somehow highlighting the areas where the canvas sits on the frame underneath would make it look a bit better?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Need some opinions/guidance. I built a Loyd Carrier, and while I'm fairly happy with the paintjob on the body (I'm new to painting, and just do a basic job of hand painting, no weathering, panel washes, etc), I have no clue what to do with the canvas top.

It looks unfinished, and really out of place on the model. From the scant photos of the Loyd online, it seems like the canvas wasn't painted to match, so I think putting the caunter camo on it would look silly, but the only other thing I can think of would be weathering it, which I don't really know how to approach. I feel like somehow highlighting the areas where the canvas sits on the frame underneath would make it look a bit better?

Get some brown and/or buff oil paint and work it on the surface to get some color modulation around the frames or areas where it would fade more.

Kinda like this technique:
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/oilpaintrenderingmr_1.html

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Patiently waiting for my detail bits and decals to arrive for my xjr-9. Being in Australia I’ve had to order them from the US so I watched the detail bits do laps of NJ before they’ve finally left the US so I should have them next week I hope. I was hoping to get one of the re released 787B kits but they appear to have sold out quick smart and are going for silly money on eBay.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, lot of subtle variations, with a few splotches that pop, to make it look like it's been stained over the years sitting out in the rain and snow. And your idea to highlight where it rests on the frame is great idea too.

Found this image which might provide some inspiration for textures and tones.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The T-34/85 is finished! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/i5ueIG4

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Really nice work. I think the spent and deformed shell casings are my favorite little detail in that build.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Amazing build, but the sprinkle of spent brass would be very improper. One reason is that brass was carefully collected and recycled whenever possible, two is that the casings would roll around the tank and get jammed in various places. Brass would always be collected in bags attached to the machineguns.

How did you get the metal to look so, well, metallic?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Amazing build, but the sprinkle of spent brass would be very improper. One reason is that brass was carefully collected and recycled whenever possible, two is that the casings would roll around the tank and get jammed in various places. Brass would always be collected in bags attached to the machineguns.

How did you get the metal to look so, well, metallic?

I'm willing to bet that at least one of the 55,000 T-34's that saw service had spent brass lying on the floor at some point. They also wouldn't have driven around with a wrecked road wheel because mobility is life in armored combat. It's also debatable that the engine bay would be left in oxide red primer. Chalk it up to artistic license and visual appeal. :shrug:

Which parts are you referring to regarding the metallic?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gewehr 43 posted:

That's a super sweet build, good job!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Quite nice. Beyond the detailing and weathering, I really like how you nailed the winter camo whitewash.

I’ve heard nice things about AFV Club - how did you like the build?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Quite nice. Beyond the detailing and weathering, I really like how you nailed the winter camo whitewash.

I’ve heard nice things about AFV Club - how did you like the build?

Thanks. The build was great. Despite the tight quarters, pretty much everything fit exactly as advertised. The instructions were clear and the decals laid down really well. Came with a metal barrel too. This is my second AFV Club kit and I have been happy with both.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm willing to bet that at least one of the 55,000 T-34's that saw service had spent brass lying on the floor at some point. They also wouldn't have driven around with a wrecked road wheel because mobility is life in armored combat. It's also debatable that the engine bay would be left in oxide red primer. Chalk it up to artistic license and visual appeal. :shrug:

Which parts are you referring to regarding the metallic?

The bare metal in the engine and transmission.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I did that part a couple months ago, so I'm going from memory. I believe it's vallejo model air steel (71.065) over black matte primer. I've found it helps when doing metallics to mist on very thin coats and to stop when you think, "okay just one more coat." A little of that underlying black has to show through to help make it convincing. I believe I used tamiya black panel liner over the top of it to do the pin wash.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Got babies first airbrush kit a couple of weeks ago from aldi mostly for the compressor cause the airbrush itself is a single action siphon feed job that will do to start off with. To practice my skills I picked up a cheap tamiya m113 acav kit so that I can practice on something that doesn’t mean too much to me. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with it and I think a decent airbrush won’t be too far off into the future.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Avis 1/72 Bristol Type 72 Racer

Short run kit, kind of a pain in places but look at that little beauty.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nice model. I'd never heard of that aircraft before so searched and read a bit about it. Interesting and brief history. I wonder what the idea was behind that strange open spinner.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'm the lampshade.

Neat plane though, hadn't heard of it before

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's adorable.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is Tamiya White Surface Primer supposed to be airbrushable? I tried some, it clogged my airbrush like I've never seen before: thick sludge filling up every part of it, I managed to get the body more or less cleared (ruining my cleaning brushes in the process), the nozzle seems plugged up solid. I have everything sitting in an ultrasonic cleaner full of thinner right now, hopefully it clears up by morning.

Also I tried brushing it on. The result was awful, but the brush got stiff as a board almost instantly, and the brush cleaner I use that handles all other types of paint like a champ was helpless. What's going on? Is it always like this, or did I get a bad batch?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the stuff in a spray can? yeah, but you gotta degas it first and mix the hell out of it afterwards

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No, the one that comes in a bottle.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Is Tamiya White Surface Primer supposed to be airbrushable? I tried some, it clogged my airbrush like I've never seen before: thick sludge filling up every part of it, I managed to get the body more or less cleared (ruining my cleaning brushes in the process), the nozzle seems plugged up solid. I have everything sitting in an ultrasonic cleaner full of thinner right now, hopefully it clears up by morning.

Also I tried brushing it on. The result was awful, but the brush got stiff as a board almost instantly, and the brush cleaner I use that handles all other types of paint like a champ was helpless. What's going on? Is it always like this, or did I get a bad batch?

The exact same thing happened to me Friday with a new bottle of Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer I ordered from Amazon. It’s real weird. I’ve never used it before, but I mixed some with water and Tamiya X-20A thinner to see if it’d thin, and it immediately hardened into white gunk.

I don’t know if this is normal, but I’m also interested in the answer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tamiya's website says yes but use lacquer thinner: x-20 not x-20a

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

No, the one that comes in a bottle.

Did you thin it?

That stuff is pretty thick. Try using Mr Leveling Thinner for some A+++ quality inhalants

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
At this point it would be easier to buy a bottle of a primer that works as expected, I just want to save my airbrush.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I really like Stynylrez for airbrush primers. A little bit thicker than normal paints, but spray it at 25+ psi and it goes on beautifully.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

remove any o-rings and soak the metal bits in acetone

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I really like Stynylrez for airbrush primers. A little bit thicker than normal paints, but spray it at 25+ psi and it goes on beautifully.

Yup, that's the one I usually use, but the store was sold out and I decided to take a risk.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

remove any o-rings and soak the metal bits in acetone

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning if the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't help.

Also I did manage to varnish my Enterprise before starting on priming of the other model, and it's looking pretty good.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Iirc none of the Japanese primers are ready to spray out of the bottle. If you want something ready to use, just prime with stynylrez. The Japanese ones are good if you're already using mostly lacquer paints and have the required cleaners and thinners.

Try using isopropyl alcohol to clean the airbrush first. If that doesn't work use lacquer thinner or acetone. Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner should also cut right through it.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 21, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Tried out my airbrush today for the first time. I was doubtful the actual airbrush would work ok. It's something I'll replace sooner rather than later but for now it gets the job done and certainly cuts down the amount of time it takes to paint things. The paint was thinned with mr color levelling thinner. The colour was my approximation of what m113 acav's look like on the inside. Below is the evidence.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Leveling thinner trivializes a lot of the issues beginner airbrush users have.

Make sure you have proper respiratory protection though

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Leveling thinner trivializes a lot of the issues beginner airbrush users have.

Make sure you have proper respiratory protection though

Yeah I do need to make sure I get a proper respirator to use with the airbrush though cause I neglected to have it ready for today. It'll particularly important when I start using Zero Paints for my car builds cause they're particularly nasty from what I've read online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Yeah I do need to make sure I get a proper respirator to use with the airbrush though cause I neglected to have it ready for today. It'll particularly important when I start using Zero Paints for my car builds cause they're particularly nasty from what I've read online.

Leveling thinner is a lacquer, as are Zero Paints. You should really get a respirator with organic vapor cartridges before you airbrush that again. Stay safe, goon