Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ninjewtsu posted:

Is whore also a slur? I assume prostitute is what they prefer being called? Genuine question, is the preferred terminology just "sex worker?"

As far as I know the safe term is yeah, just "sex worker." I honestly had no idea "prostitute" was also considered offensive until pretty recently, but it apparently is etymologically tied with criminality and frowned upon because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Is whore also a slur? I assume prostitute is what they prefer being called? Genuine question, is the preferred terminology just "sex worker?"

Sex worker can be anything from a cam girl to a prostitute to a Japanese school girl selling her panties.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do you know where the deposition videos came from that we know all this nonsense? Would you believe... Ty Beard himself?

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1152206189675106309

Admitted it on Blackface's livestream even.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ninjewtsu posted:

Is whore also a slur?

I legitimately can't tell whether this is just bad faith posting or an incredibly lovely idea of a joke

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a good single article on the colossal clusterfuck that is the Mignogna lawsuit?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there a good single article on the colossal clusterfuck that is the Mignogna lawsuit?

It's a constant dull social-media churn, and it's fairly inside baseball even for people who cover anime news. I doubt you'll see a good encapsulation until it's over.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's not even done yet, so probably not.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1152254432555536384

:yikes:

e: Should probably add that the text/footnote accompanying this could potentially be triggering to some. Although given the nature of the thread and the accusations etc that's probably a given.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 19, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

okay lets get it out of the way, someone post the old D&D Sex Worker roll table and we'll go down the list which term is offensive and which are proper

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is... is Vic biting her cheek?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The embed crops the footnote at the bottom of the page which, is a yikes several orders of magnitude higher than the picture, which looks pretty bad already, but maybe could just look a lot worse that it actually is, without context. In context it's nauseating to the point where I feel more than a bit ashamed of the fact that I've been treating it (the case, the incompetence of his legal team and stupidity of his fans etc) as a bit of a joke and source of entertainment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravy Jones posted:

The embed crops the footnote at the bottom of the page which, is a yikes several orders of magnitude higher than the picture, which looks pretty bad already, but maybe could just look a lot worse that it actually is, without context. In context it's nauseating to the point where I feel more than a bit ashamed of the fact that I've been treating it (the case, the incompetence of his legal team and stupidity of his fans etc) as a bit of a joke and source of entertainment.

Yeah, I was gonna screen cap it to share with the class, but it's creepy enough it probably needs a CW. I'll just leave it at: That's not a photo of Vic with a woman 18 years or older.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my_hitlist.xlsx

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1152288669061005315

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I was gonna screen cap it to share with the class, but it's creepy enough it probably needs a CW. I'll just leave it at: That's not a photo of Vic with a woman 18 years or older.

Not just that, the description of events is skin-crawling. Like, I knew dude was bad, but JESUS!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Full motion to dismiss: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1grB0V9IX9sYE-UVpm4xLuijf7qSPDBxj/view

It's.... not a pleasant read, if any of this stuff is remotely triggering just don't go there, even just skimming the first few pages. To be honest Vic and co probably doing the world a favor by creating a situation where all this is out in the open rather than being whispers and gossip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Full motion to dismiss: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1grB0V9IX9sYE-UVpm4xLuijf7qSPDBxj/view

It's.... not a pleasant read, if any of this stuff is remotely triggering just don't go there, even just skimming the first few pages. To be honest Vic and co probably doing the world a favor by creating a situation where all this is out in the open rather than being whispers and gossip.

Jesus. Vic has done infinitely more damage to himself than any defamation ever could.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravy Jones posted:

I should have known from the start, but I'm betting the reason his lawyers are so incompetent is because no competent lawyer would have taken the case in the first place. This is dragging poo poo into the public that happened well before he was a voice actor.

You can stick a fork in Vic because he is done.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Skwirl posted:

I should have known from the start, but I'm betting the reason his lawyers are so incompetent is because no competent lawyer would have taken the case in the first place. This is dragging poo poo into the public that happened well before he was a voice actor.

Vic's lawyer had literally never done a defamation case before this.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm going to second this. If you are sensitive to descriptions of sexual assault at all I would attempt to avoid coverage (And we should spoiler such things in this thread.)

If you are not... I think Exhibit B is going to bury this and any other future cases from Vic on this subject.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Oh GOD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How does he have "special props" from Fullmetal Alchemist? It's a loving cartoon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dude hosted loving *panels* about the allegations as far back as 2016?!? What?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasnt there a live action Netflix film? He might have poo poo from that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The only thing I thought I knew about fullmetal alchemist is that he had a coat with a preposterous popped collar, but I think that might be trigun.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

No, he made a fan film where he, a man in his 50s, plays a 15 year old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgP-oKQ6hA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

If it weren't for all his sex crimes that would be positively endearing. He obviously didn't do it for money so it makes you think "oh, he wants to support the community that's given him so much success," then I see how young some of his co-stars look.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

I didn't think I could be surprised at this point but there we go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Piell posted:

Vic's lawyer had literally never done a defamation case before this.

And two other law firms he approached turned him down.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's been a pretty blatant con since the beginning. Especially since Vic has no idea how payments are being done, meaning that Rekita has been writing his own checks from the GFM. He and his uncle are just using this as an excuse for sweet, sweet Youtube hits and free money, it doesn't matter if Vic wins or not.

That's also why lawtwitter has been jumping on them so hard. This isn't just a case of a pair of dumbasses taking an unwinnable case. This is a pair of lawyers running a grift. Lawyers already have a bad enough public perception without highly visible evidence of Lawyers just actively preying on their own client for an easy payday

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Back in the days of my misspent youth I used to go to anime conventions, and I'm reading through the motion and I'm pretty sure I was at the exact con this happened at and saw Vic at a panel there (this was before I knew how awful he was, obviously), and feel VERY weirded out right now. What a piece of garbage, I hope Vic is ruined by his own bullshit lawsuit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

props.

from a cartoon.

also everything else in there :yikes:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

props.

from a cartoon.

also everything else in there :yikes:

As was stated earlier in the thread, they're from a live action fan film he did. Where he, a 50ish year old man, played a 15 year old.

Yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/LuciferBob/status/1152352167371538432?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/LuvSick4Larry/status/1152651661728370688

That's one take there, Hiram.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"He called us assholes. WE WON!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They've now moved on to calling him "Original Comicsgate" because he is notoriously critical of the comic book industry (for literally the exact opposite reasons as comicsgate is).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

They've now moved on to calling him "Original Comicsgate" because he is notoriously critical of the comic book industry (for literally the exact opposite reasons as comicsgate is).

Well, considering that a lot of problems in the industry came about from people aping Moore's work without understanding that he was actually doing, it actually kind of fits. It just doesn't actually reflect all that well on the people making the comparison.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People have repeated that meme for decades but honestly the real problem is and has always been that comics as an industry just chases what makes money (or what they think will make money) with no regard for their creators.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

All in all, the problem is just as it has always been for this and most other things: capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Samovar posted:

All in all, the problem is just as it has always been for this and most other things: capitalism.

Adam Smith may be history's greatest murderer through proxy.