Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, you can use anything in single player and do ok and grinding is always an option, but as you play you can still feel they're pretty lovely and you'd be having a much easier time just having anybody else in the front instead.

I was going to ignore this fact in my current Crystal-Virtual-Console run, but now I'm triggered...and have to look up the base stats for this Ekans/Arbok I was going to bring to post-E4 Kanto...

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MoaM posted:

I was going to ignore this fact in my current Crystal-Virtual-Console run, but now I'm triggered...and have to look up the base stats for this Ekans/Arbok I was going to bring to post-E4 Kanto...

I once beat Crystal using only a Spinarak. Not even an Ariados.

I had to grind it to level 100 to pp stall out Red's Charizard's Flamethrower but honestly besides that it was pretty smooth sailing.

And honestly if I hadn't been an idiot and just used X-items I could have done it in the 80s pretty easily.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 19, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

crystal wasn’t even out until 2000

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

oddium posted:

crystal wasn’t even out until 2000

lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, you can use anything in single player and do ok and grinding is always an option, but as you play you can still feel they're pretty lovely and you'd be having a much easier time just having anybody else in the front instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8dbjHJ1DI

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

Black and White anime update: For a main character's Pokemon, Iris's Emolga isn't very nice, is she? I guess this could be a callback to how Ash's Pikachu behaved sometimes early on. In general, BW seems to be cargo culting early Kanto somewhat ("resetting" Ash, making Team Rocket the competent bad guys they were portrayed as for all of one episode in Kanto, making Ash's female companion a Gym Leader with vague goals instead of a player character Coordinator, weird pacing). Though Iris is also being a jerk for making Emolga fight when she doesn't want to; in general, BW seems to be unintentionally calling attention to the uncomfortable implications of the franchise's premise more often than previous seasons. Though to be fair, it also made it explicit that Pokemon can just leave their Trainers if they want to; apparently Ash's Snivy has done this in the past to Trainers who didn't meet her high standards, and Snivy, in general, have a reputation for doing this a lot.

Also, while this started long before BW, the female human character designs are too thin compared to the male ones. Once you've noticed this, you can't unsee it.

The plot involving Team Rocket was cancelled after the 2011 Tsunami and they skipped ahead to Ash battling Burgh. Don't get too attached.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'll never make an excellent curve ball throw :( bye bye Mew

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s easier to do against the research breakthrough you get for 7 days of task completion because they tend to be legendaries with bigger circles

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dehry posted:

The plot involving Team Rocket was cancelled after the 2011 Tsunami and they skipped ahead to Ash battling Burgh. Don't get too attached.

I knew about that from Dogasu.

It is kind of a waste of Team Rocket, though, and probably would have been even if Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma hadn't been cancelled. Team Rocket becoming more competent could have been interesting, but not like that; making them generic emotionless evil spies who sneak around in trenchcoats and have convoluted secret meetings to receive instructions that Giovanni could just as easily have given them directly, and whose talk about taking over the world is played completely straight, just feels wrong. Maybe Ash should have traveled with Skyla instead of Iris and James would be her rival in Pokeringer competitions? At least they aren't constantly attacking with their mechs to pad episodes to 22 minutes anymore, but it feels like subplots where the protagonists accidentally anger random wild Pokemon basically fill the same role now. (There were always subplots like that - especially involving Beedrill and Steelix for some reason - but there are more of them now.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Adoption by Bewear is the best thing that ever happened to Team Rocket

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silver2195 posted:

It is kind of a waste of Team Rocket, though, and probably would have been even if Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma hadn't been cancelled. Team Rocket becoming more competent could have been interesting, but not like that; making them generic emotionless evil spies who sneak around in trenchcoats and have convoluted secret meetings to receive instructions that Giovanni could just as easily have given them directly, and whose talk about taking over the world is played completely straight, just feels wrong. Maybe Ash should have traveled with Skyla instead of Iris and James would be her rival in Pokeringer competitions? At least they aren't constantly attacking with their mechs to pad episodes to 22 minutes anymore, but it feels like subplots where the protagonists accidentally anger random wild Pokemon basically fill the same role now. (There were always subplots like that - especially involving Beedrill and Steelix for some reason - but there are more of them now.)

The idea of not having them in every episode is probably one of the biggest improvements to Team Rocket in the Black and White series.

As for how they were portrayed, if I recall, there was a podcast in Japan at some point with the voice actors actually complaining in-character that they never got to do funny things anymore, but I'm kind of fuzzy on these detail. That being said, the writers and cast members themselves weren't happy with these changes to the Team Rocket trio, so they reverted them back to being comedic come X and Y.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zuzie posted:

The idea of not having them in every episode is probably one of the biggest improvements to Team Rocket in the Black and White series.

As for how they were portrayed, if I recall, there was a podcast in Japan at some point with the voice actors actually complaining in-character that they never got to do funny things anymore, but I'm kind of fuzzy on these detail. That being said, the writers and cast members themselves weren't happy with these changes to the Team Rocket trio, so they reverted them back to being comedic come X and Y.

That’s correct, though I think it was a radio program instead of a podcast.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

less laughter posted:

Adoption by Bewear is the best thing that ever happened to Team Rocket

And since Mimikyu, Mareanie, and Bewear are native to Galar, she can take her children there on vacation while they stalk some random ten-year old kid and his pet rat

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

And since Mimikyu, Mareanie, and Bewear are native to Galar, she can take her children there on vacation while they stalk some random ten-year old kid and his pet rat

Ehhh... It's more likely that Mimikyu and Mareanie will be dumped at Team Rocket's Headquarters and Bewear remains in Alola. Mostly to make room for 2 Gen 8 monsters that'll become the designated "bad guy" Pokemon.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Bad Guy Pokeman will be Wooloo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Ehhh... It's more likely that Mimikyu and Mareanie will be dumped at Team Rocket's Headquarters and Bewear remains in Alola. Mostly to make room for 2 Gen 8 monsters that'll become the designated "bad guy" Pokemon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Team Rocket winds up getting an Impadimp next season. I do question how they're actually going to leave Alola though with Bewear constantly watching over them.

Another thing I like is that since at least XY the writers have finally realized that you don't need to cram Team Rocket into every episode (and the current season once again proves that Jessie and James are basically good at everything except their chosen profession).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Team Rocket winds up getting an Impadimp next season. I do question how they're actually going to leave Alola though with Bewear constantly watching over them.

Another thing I like is that since at least XY the writers have finally realized that you don't need to cram Team Rocket into every episode (and the current season once again proves that Jessie and James are basically good at everything except their chosen profession).

They've left it already to go to Kanto. Bewear just ran across the ocean to pick them up.

My guess: they find the unevolved form and Bewear becomes interested in raising that instead.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My guess: they find the unevolved form and Bewear becomes interested in raising that instead.

That already happened ages ago, Stufful is now a series regular as well.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

They've left it already to go to Kanto. Bewear just ran across the ocean to pick them up.

That already happened as well. Bewear apparently had a Stufful child which ended up getting lost. It was in Aether Paradise being rehabilitated. So now they've reunited.

e;fb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well drat.

Bewear can't run all the way to Galar it's too far

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MoaM posted:

Forget stats, the biggest problem in Gen 1 and 2 are the awful awful movesets. For example Psyduck doesn't learn a water move by level up until level 50. Not as big of an issue because Surf exists but pretty much every Pokemon has an issue like this. On top of that, most TMs are one-use only.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

Ehhh... It's more likely that Mimikyu and Mareanie will be dumped at Team Rocket's Headquarters and Bewear remains in Alola.

Mimikyu and Mareanie can stay in the care of Bewear and Stufful :3:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've got to say, while reusable TMs are objectively an improvement I kind of miss having to actually choose which Pokemon gets a move. It makes it feel less special when you can dump Shadow Ball and Psychic on all your special attackers and Earthquake on all your physical attackers, for example.

Maybe in my next game playthrough I'll give myself a personal restriction that each TM move can only be on one team member at a time. Seems like a reasonable middle ground that keeps the quality of life while also creating some actual choice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.facebook.com/ipixeltamers/

Someone made some kind of remake of Red/Green I guess, and they're charging money for in game purchases. Wonder how much they'll get sued for?

Edit:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Well drat.

Bewear can't run all the way to Galar it's too far

don't tell Bewear what Bewear can't do

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Bewear doesn't like the weather in galar

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.facebook.com/ipixeltamers/

Someone made some kind of remake of Red/Green I guess, and they're charging money for in game purchases. Wonder how much they'll get sued for?

Edit:

But why is Nintendo so protective of their IPs??????

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1152262163316314112?s=20

I hope the Rotomdex is dead forever

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Unfortunately, Rotom is the smartphone (which contains the Pokédex) in 🗡️🛡️ and also the camera drone in the Galarian gyms.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

Unfortunately, Rotom is the smartphone (which contains the Pokédex) in 🗡️🛡️ and also the camera drone in the Galarian gyms.

It’s clearly a Porygon in the only roles it’s allowed to take.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Imagine if that seizure incident never happened or it happened in a different anime...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I wonder if the de facto ban on the Porygon line in the anime will be lifted eventually. It’s been 20 years, and every part of the franchise except the anime uses Porygon freely.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

It’s clearly a Porygon in the only roles it’s allowed to take.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/gameplay/about-pokedex-rotom-phone/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder if the de facto ban on the Porygon line in the anime will be lifted eventually. It’s been 20 years, and every part of the franchise except the anime uses Porygon freely.

The incident in question wasn’t even Porygon’s fault (the seizure inducing scene in that episode was technically caused by Pikachu).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do you think we'll ever get Pokemon blood types in their stats like players in NPB

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

do you think we'll ever get Pokemon blood types in their stats like players in NPB

A significant chunk of Pokemon probably don't even have blood to begin with, and if they do, they probably won't be like human's blood.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

The incident in question wasn’t even Porygon’s fault (the seizure inducing scene in that episode was technically caused by Pikachu).

Somebody had to be the scapegoat and it sure as hell wasn't going to be the series mascot. Weirdly it reminds me of what happens in corporations when the boss fucks up they shift the blame onto an underling to get off scott free.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jessie vs. James is happening in the anime this weekend and a lot of people are acting like it's a given that Jessie will win, and I'm kind of wondering why that is.

Jessie, in comparison to most other main characters, typically... just isn't a very good Pokemon trainer. She doesn't tend to bond with her Pokemon, and while she's managed to get wins in both Contests and Showcases, she does so less often and with more difficulty than others do. I think Mimikyu is the first Pokemon we've seen her actually catch and make friends with since Dustox.

Remember, Wobbuffet became a competent battler after spending a whole season AWAY from her.

James meanwhile treats his Pokemon better and actually tends to have a sense of strategy when he's battling on his own.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jessie has a Mimikyu with unfinished business with Pikachu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah and there's no indication Jessie is even gonna battle him and Ash.