Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I have never heard of a moissanite gem and they look great?? At first glance they appear to be better than a diamond in every way and a tenth the price?

My complete lack of gemstone knowledge may or may not reveal something about my quality as a boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

I'm not familiar with this BBcode.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boyfriend (M26) got a ring tattooed on his finger.. We’re not married.

So this came as a bit of a surprise. I am in a long distance relationship with a man who I love very much and definitely see a future with.

We have known each other for years but have been in a relationship for about 7 months. I know it is quick, but we have spoken about marriage and we are certain we will get married to each other in the future.

He wants to marry me as soon as possible. I on the other hand want to wait a couple of years and he is of course fine with that as he knows I am not ready just yet.

Recently he got a tattoo on his wedding finger so that it looks like a wedding ring. Yes it’s definitely real.

He told me that it is his way of showing his commitment to me, and others, especially women that he is taken, and that women would know that he is committed to somebody without asking. (He gets quite a bit of attention from women lol. And no he’s definitely not married to anyone else)

I don’t really know how to feel about it. I love him and I think the gesture is lovely but maybe a bit much. What would you think if your partner did this?

TL;DR My boyfriend (M26) of 7 months got a ring tattooed on his finger to symbolise his commitment to me (F22). Not sure how to feel.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA: Pearl-ageddon 2019: my partner bought me earrings; my ears aren’t pierced and I reacted in a less than glamorous way.

I’ve been in a heated-friendly debate with my partner on this one, and a jury of our peers has come up inconclusive- here we go Reddit.

I am a woman, and my ears are not pierced. I do have other piercings though, which might be evidence on my partners behalf.

Before every birthday or gift giving holiday, I remind my beautiful fiancé that my ears are not pierced and to not get me earrings. I get that a lot of women do have their ears pierced and it’s a pretty savvy gift to give if that’s the case, and I wanted to always set him up for success.

Today while I was at work he messaged me a photograph of a jewelry box saying “Guess what?!”. I wrote back my gushes and we planned to meet after work and have a drink.

I get to the pub a few hours later and he hands me a box, I open the box and there is a pair of beautiful pearl earrings. The next words out of my mouth are as follows:

“Are you serious? My ears aren’t pierced.”

Followed by

“Do you know me at all?! Thank you baby, but my ears aren’t pierced.”

My partner then said

“The words you’re looking for are ‘Thank you’”.

And sulks off like I did something wrong.

We’ve been in a battle of wills on who was the rear end in a top hat in this situation and I need some help Reddit.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

OppositeAstronomer posted:

This is a kinda long read but I promise you will never guess the last line based on the story that precedes it.

AITA for rejecting her this way?

I will say the absurdity of the last line really clenches this story. Otherwise it's long and boring

dudeness posted:

I'm not familiar with this BBcode.

I wanted to keep the original post's flair

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to break the law for my brother, despite both his and our parents’ insistence that I do?

My younger brother Bryan just turned 19 about month ago. About an hour ago, he casually mentioned if I could go get this moscotto (wine) that he likes because he and his girlfriend is celebrating their first year together. He said he needs it by 9 and just expected me to go and get it for him.

I told him I’m not really comfortable giving alcohol to someone whose underaged. It’s not like it’s far or anything (just a couple min drive from my house). But I live in America, so it’s illegal, and call me a straight edge or whatever but I don’t like breaking the law. Additionally, I don’t want to give him the impression that this is something that I’m willing to do often; if I give him alcohol now, he’d expect me to do it again in the future.

I said he can ask our parents but I’m definitely not going to break the law for him. He got pissy and said to “stop being a bitch, who cares?” I said I do, and so I’m not doing it, end of story.

He texted our parents, and they called me. I expected them to take my side so I put them on speaker phone, but they said they were planning a date night tonight and told me to handle it. I said no and explained why I didn’t want to give my underaged brother alcohol, but they said to “stop being difficult and just give him the drat wine”.

Bryan had a poo poo-eating grin after that and said “I’ll see you before 9”. I went to my car so I guess he assumed I was getting it for him, but instead I just drove to a friend’s house. I group texted Bryan and our parents, and said I wasn’t going to put my livelihood at risk and break the law for anyone, and if anyone had a problem with that, well too bad. I then put my phone on airplane mode and am currently typing this on my computer.

Did I do the right thing? I feel like my brother will be absolutely furious when I turn my phone on, but I feel like he’s acting like a little turd. AITA for how I handled the situation?

Update: turned my phone back on. Mom and dad are furious. All Bryan texted was "you know, you ruined what was supposed to be a special night and I hope it was worth it." Starting to question if I did the right thing...

UPDATE 2: Got home last night. Brother wouldn't even look at me. I sent him a message saying that it wasn't anything against him or anything; I'm just really against the alcohol culture and I felt uncomfortable with the request. All he sent back was "tbh, i don't really give a poo poo about your excuses, just leave me alone". He won't answer any of my calls or texts anymore. My parents are furious for "being such a square" and said that between not giving my underaged brother alcohol and not being a legal slave (like forcing myself to do the poo poo they try to tell me to do e.g. plant the garden that THEY want or spread the mulch that THEY want), they're genuinely considering kicking me out of the house or forcing me to start paying rent...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dr Strangepants posted:

I have never heard of a moissanite gem and they look great?? At first glance they appear to be better than a diamond in every way and a tenth the price?

My complete lack of gemstone knowledge may or may not reveal something about my quality as a boyfriend.
Diamond industry poisoned the idea of going for alternative gemstones. Moissanite is a naturally occuring mineral but very very very rare, so synthetics are produced and used. To people who have had 'synthetics are cheap!!!' pounded into their brains, that's a problem, even though it's a really cool mineral discovered in a meteor crater. Like, for a long time it was only found in meteorites and impact sites! It's slightly less hard than diamond but not in a way that matters much.

To be honest the big problem was him lying about what it was, but then everything kind of spirals from there.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for refusing to break the law for my brother, despite both his and our parents’ insistence that I do?

quote:

My younger brother Bryan just turned 19 about month ago. About an hour ago, he casually mentioned if I could go get this moscotto (wine) that he likes because he and his girlfriend is celebrating their first year together. He said he needs it by 9 and just expected me to go and get it for him.

I told him I’m not really comfortable giving alcohol to someone whose underaged. It’s not like it’s far or anything (just a couple min drive from my house). But I live in America, so it’s illegal, and call me a straight edge or whatever but I don’t like breaking the law. Additionally, I don’t want to give him the impression that this is something that I’m willing to do often; if I give him alcohol now, he’d expect me to do it again in the future.

I said he can ask our parents but I’m definitely not going to break the law for him. He got pissy and said to “stop being a bitch, who cares?” I said I do, and so I’m not doing it, end of story.

He texted our parents, and they called me. I expected them to take my side so I put them on speaker phone, but they said they were planning a date night tonight and told me to handle it. I said no and explained why I didn’t want to give my underaged brother alcohol, but they said to “stop being difficult and just give him the drat wine”.

Bryan had a poo poo-eating grin after that and said “I’ll see you before 9”. I went to my car so I guess he assumed I was getting it for him, but instead I just drove to a friend’s house. I group texted Bryan and our parents, and said I wasn’t going to put my livelihood at risk and break the law for anyone, and if anyone had a problem with that, well too bad. I then put my phone on airplane mode and am currently typing this on my computer.

Did I do the right thing? I feel like my brother will be absolutely furious when I turn my phone on, but I feel like he’s acting like a little turd. AITA for how I handled the situation?

Update: turned my phone back on. Mom and dad are furious. All Bryan texted was "you know, you ruined what was supposed to be a special night and I hope it was worth it." Starting to question if I did the right thing...

UPDATE 2: Got home last night. Brother wouldn't even look at me. I sent him a message saying that it wasn't anything against him or anything; I'm just really against the alcohol culture and I felt uncomfortable with the request. All he sent back was "tbh, i don't really give a poo poo about your excuses, just leave me alone". He won't answer any of my calls or texts anymore. My parents are furious for "being such a square" and said that between not giving my underaged brother alcohol and not being a legal slave (like forcing myself to do the poo poo they try to tell me to do e.g. plant the garden that THEY want or spread the mulch that THEY want), they're genuinely considering kicking me out of the house or forcing me to start paying rent...

It's not like the cops were gonna bust down the door. But your family kinda sucks

edit: gently caress you, you drat snake

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for not letting my parents use my grades to forge my sisters?

quote:

First off, a few relevant facts:

Me and my parents don’t have the best relationship, to put it lightly.
My younger sister hasn’t been in any form of education since she was 14. This was my parents choice.
My parents and my sister live abroad, in a (for want of a better word) third-world country.
My grades were earned by me, with no help from my parents, in a government funded college.

Once my sister turned 18, she suddenly became really interested in becoming a vet, but she was unable to get into veterinary school because (surprise, surprise) she has no qualifications whatsoever. My parents solution to this was, “Oh, just ask your sister to send photocopies of her grade certificates, we’ll change her name to yours, and the school will never know any better.”
I refused, because I think it’s stupid to forge documents like that, and that it could get me and my sister into lots of trouble. My parents say they’ll never find out. I’m also wary of doing this because my sister is very prone to losing interest in things, and I don’t want to take a massive risk for nothing. I care for my sister deeply, and I feel awful for depriving her of this, but I don’t want to do it if it’s at my own expense. Not to mention that I find it very irritating that my parents assume I will break the law for them!
After I told my sister this, she told me I was being horrible and that I just didn’t want to help her.
What do you think me Reddit, AITA here?

quote:

The worst part is that she wanted to keep going to school, and they stopped her. So it's not even really her fault. It's just sad.

These parents especially suck

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Gf [21f] and me [20m] took a "break" for a month and she's told me she's had a lot of sex with other guys in that month?!? What do I do?

quote:

yeah im not really sure how to process this sorry

So me and my gf had a spat a month ago and she said she wanted a break. I asked her if this meant we were breaking up and she said no just for a little we needed to be separate. I agreed (not that i had much choice though) and we split. 1 week ago we got back together. 2 nights ago we were cuddling on my couch and she was just scrolling through instagram.

She was liking photos and I was just casually remarking ("thats a good photo" "that looks cool" "i like her outfit") about stuff and then she scrolls past a guy and says "oh yeah this guy was really good in bed, had a giant dick". I thought she was joking at first but I asked more about and apparently she had sex wit him like 2 weeks after we started our break?!? I asked how long she had been having sex with him and she said it was a one time thing like the others, and i said what others. She had sex with like 7 guys in the month we were apart? I didn't think we were even broken up?

So yeah i was pissed so I said it was cheating to me. She said it wasn't cheating because we were on break. I said that it didn't matter to me you don't sleep with 7 guys if you want the attachment to the guy you're on break with to matter after that. SO i said like yeah i think we should break up and she started crying like that's not fair. She brought up how I had promised to buy her disneyland tickets this summer and how it wasn't fair that I was going to ruin her summer over a miscommunication.

I started thinking maybe she has a point? It was just a miscommunication right? And it isn't fair to ruin everything for her over this. But im still a little upset that she had sex with all those guys and was willing to just casually mention it to me?

What do I do?

tldr: Gf said we were on break, had sex with 7 guys.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

OP is a square, his parents are right. Moscato is gross though

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Pinecone Sample posted:

Gf [21f] and me [20m] took a "break" for a month and she's told me she's had a lot of sex with other guys in that month?!? What do I do?

Ross from Friends

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Dr Strangepants posted:

well they're a 9.5 on Moh's scale and diamonds are a 10

I know someone who is extremely liable to lose things who opted for one

I guess they're great if you don't lie about it being a real diamond, particularly, to your fiancee

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Didnt really sound like they should have been getting married anyway.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pinecone Sample posted:

well they're a 9.5 on Moh's scale and diamonds are a 10

I know someone who is extremely liable to lose things who opted for one

I guess they're great if you don't lie about it being a real diamond
Yeah lying about it being a real diamond is lovely. I don't really like how strongly diamonds are connected to wedding stuff bc it's a lot of lovely advertising pushing that but if it was important to my hypothetical girlfriend I'd get her a diamond.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

Didnt really sound like they should have been getting married anyway.

Why not? He's moving to Asia anyway

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

It's not like the cops were gonna bust down the door. But your family kinda sucks

Lol at his parents scolding him for being a square. Older brothers are supposed to buy the alcohol, at an insane markup. That is their birthright.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Yeah lying about it being a real diamond is lovely. I don't really like how strongly diamonds are connected to wedding stuff bc it's a lot of lovely advertising pushing that but if it was important to my hypothetical girlfriend I'd get her a diamond.

that's why you're on somethingawful and not reddit, my friend
(especially the hypothetical part)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If the younger brother had planned in advance by a single day, there wouldn't have been any problem. That's how important his 'special night' was to him.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA: Pearl-ageddon 2019: my partner bought me earrings; my ears aren’t pierced and I reacted in a less than glamorous way.
Give him the earrings back and tell him that he should should put "must have pierced ears" in his tinder profile.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr Strangepants posted:

moissanite is cubic silicon carbide
diamond is cubic carbon (no silicon)

they're so close in appearance and physical properties as to be essentially interchangeable (e.g. both are used industrially for grinding) and they can both be cut into gemstones of identical appearance.

there is literally no reason anyone should be purchasing mined diamonds for jewelry any more. synthetic processes generate better crystals at lower cost without exploitative labor practices.

Pinecone Sample posted:

I guess they're great if you don't lie about it being a real diamond, particularly, to your fiancee

the concept of a "real" diamond in jewelry is toxic and needs to die. if the gemstone has similar hardness/durability and appearance then for all intents and purposes it's a diamond. everything else is just buying into exploitation and speculation.

PetraCore posted:

if it's important to your girlfriend that it be chemically a diamond (not silicon carbide or another similar compound) then okay, sure, get a lab-grown diamond. they're identical to mined ones but don't destroy the planet or exploit the poor. if she insists that it have come out of the earth, she has brain worms

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 19, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Pinecone Sample posted:

"My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!"

"In a row?"

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

Pinecone Sample posted:

I found a hidden camera in our bathroom and suspect my girlfriend

Real question, how would you even find these aside from stumbling across them? I've heard of the front facing camera IR trick but I just assume every AirBNB owner has me in the collection now.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

OP is kind of a square but if they weren't comfortable buying the wine then they shouldn't have been bullied into it. If the parents wanted the 19 year old to have booze that bad they could've bought it before they left.

Also lol at the 19 year old's ~fancy~ anniversary being RUINED without the lovely wine. This whole family is ridiculous.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Moissanite is more sparkly than diamond and I like it when the rainbows flash in my eyes.

Moscato is super sweet so exactly what I expect for a 19 y.o.'s ~special date dinner~

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

SuddenExpire posted:

Real question, how would you even find these aside from stumbling across them? I've heard of the front facing camera IR trick but I just assume every AirBNB owner has me in the collection now.

My standard practice is to detonate a strong electromagnetic pulse before every shower. This really pisses off the kids at the local YMCA.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

if it's important to your girlfriend that it be chemically a diamond (not silicon carbide or another similar compound) then okay, sure, get a lab-grown diamond. they're identical to mined ones but don't destroy the planet or exploit the poor. if she insists that it have come out of the earth, she has brain worms
I mean I figure you can also reuse diamonds from old jewelry. Doesn't have to be supporting the exploitative mined diamond industry directly, and there's something sentimental about reusing heirloom rings from back in the family.

This is all hypothetical tho.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Yeah the guy's a square but the younger brother sounds like a poo poo; I don't think I'd be too inclined to pull strings for him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

moissanite is cubic silicon carbide
diamond is cubic carbon (no silicon)

they're so close in appearance and physical properties as to be essentially interchangeable (e.g. both are used industrially for grinding) and they can both be cut into gemstones of identical appearance.

there is literally no reason anyone should be purchasing mined diamonds for jewelry any more. synthetic processes generate better crystals at lower cost without exploitative labor practices.

the concept of a "real" diamond in jewelry is toxic and needs to die. if the gemstone has similar hardness/durability and appearance then for all intents and purposes it's a diamond. everything else is just buying into exploitation and speculation.

Heirloom is another option.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If his parents try to kick him out he can threaten to report them to the police with the text messages.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

Dr Strangepants posted:

My standard practice is to detonate a strong electromagnetic pulse before every shower. This really pisses off the kids at the local YMCA.

You can EMP my switch but you can't EMP my sweet fortnite dance moves

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I don't understand how unpierced girl doesn't get that his gift is an open expression of contempt. It's like the lady who didn't like chocolate. Her family insisted on throwing her a birthday party and made a big deal of presenting her with a chocolate filled chocolate cake with double fudge icing.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This thread is so informative on what spells disaster in a relationship. If and when I have kids someday and I have to talk about relationships, I’ll make a point to mention that breaks aren’t real and you’re either dating or you’re not.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA because my son accidentally ate a dog treat?

quote:

I will keep this as short as possible - I was in the local pet store with my son, Jaxxon. (He is thirteen years old). I was looking to buy some dog treats for my family's rescue dog; Jaxxon was off doing only God's know what. Suddenly, I hear Jaxxon screaming in the pet store. He runs to me, red in the face. In his hand is a slightly chewed, wet dog treat.

I am appalled - and also rather confused - as to why he ate one. He told me he thought they wouldn't just have "free samples" of dog treats out for public, and then he showed me this little makeshift "create your own" dog treat area, where you can pick and choose what treats you want. Jaxxon assumed these treats were for humans and promptly proceeded to eat them.

I scolded him for being so careles and digging into "treats" that are clearly not meant for humans, while Jaxxon proceeds to scream at me for being a terrible mother. I'm getting a couple of looks from the public at this point. I'm pretty embarrassed, now Jaxxon is whining at home to our father that he may have food poisoning, and wants to "cancel" the pet store. AITA?

TL;DR, Son ran off into the pet store and ate dog treats, I think he thought they were meant for humans, even though we were in a pet store. He screamed at me and now suspects he is sick.

“why did he eat something at a pet store?”

quote:

He eats everything in sight at grocery stores, so I think he thought a pet store was a free-for-all too.

“he just eats stuff in the store?”

quote:

Yes, he does this frequently in grocery stores too. He’ll gobble food at the bakery. So for whatever reason he thought the pet store would be no different

“what’s up with your kids name?”

quote:

(Unfortunately) I had to convince my husband, Jackson, to not name his son “Jaxsin”, so we settled on Jaxxon.

quote:

Jaxsin

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

You and your son having the same father explains a bit

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Kid’s missing an x.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
tell him he has to eat the whole box of dog treats now

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ParserGirl posted:

I don't understand how unpierced girl doesn't get that his gift is an open expression of contempt. It's like the lady who didn't like chocolate. Her family insisted on throwing her a birthday party and made a big deal of presenting her with a chocolate filled chocolate cake with double fudge icing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

The kid screaming at his mom for being a terrible parent is actually right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Cancel the pet store lol