Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

drjuggalo posted:

The fact that compress had a normal rear end job before he joined unlike the rest of the league and wears that ski mask under his mask mask leads me to believe he’s gonna be as batshit as shiggy

It's always the low key ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shigaraki should take the quirk strengthening drug and hold the ground

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

this would be an accurate analogy if the society he was in worshiped soccer players, "soccer player" was the number one career choice and aspiration of the majority of the population, you couldn't stick your head out the window without hearing the word "soccer" and there was one burly soccer player in particular who was treated as a latter-day messiah

heroes are so completely pervasive in MHA's world that anyplace that abhors them is a severe aberration, and in shigaraki's house that contradiction was so severe that it literally made him start scratching his skin off

Funny thing is that that stuff you mention basically happens in real life in a lot of places where professional sports are big. To be a pro athlete, you need to be inherently talented, you need to spend most of your youth actively training and busting your rear end for the opportunity to hit the big leagues, you need to be noticed as a bright prospect by people who matter, and even then you still might wash out and fail due to a combination of missed opportunities or singular fuckups. Those who hit the big leagues and become stars are rewarded with infinite wealth and fame and enduring glory and those who wash out are forgotten.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 19, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kanos posted:

Funny thing is that that stuff you mention basically happens in real life in a lot of places where professional sports are big.

life GOOOOOOOOOALS

ofc even then the hero profession has a lot of unique cultural baggage, i doubt that even brazil expected pele to swoop in and save the day from crime every twenty minutes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Funny thing is that that stuff you mention basically happens in real life in a lot of places where professional sports are big. To be a pro athlete, you need to be inherently talented, you need to spend most of your youth actively training and busting your rear end for the opportunity to hit the big leagues, you need to be noticed as a bright prospect by people who matter, and even then you still might wash out and fail due to a combination of missed opportunities or singular fuckups. Those who hit the big leagues and become stars are rewarded with infinite wealth and fame and enduring glory and those who wash out are forgotten.

I mean tons of them go bankrupt because they have no idea how to manage their sudden insane wealth

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
This situation is unique because it's fallout from a previous generation of All Might having such a responsibility to society as well as an incredible level of celebrity because of it. It's a midpoint between the standard superhero Can't Have Attachments deal and overwork as generational abuse.

I just hope that gets explored in a way that's more interesting than "look how evil this guy" is and it looks good so far tbh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

Yeah pages ago it was said this comic is a sports story through the lens of super heroes and I think that's really accurate in a lot of ways.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

I don't really consider that to be a damning indictment of society in and of itself. The same thing could have happened with literally any profession, because the problem is specifically a personal emotional trauma spawning further emotional traumas. There's an alternate universe where Shigaraki really wanted to be a pro soccer player and his dad beat the poo poo out of him(while his whole family watched from the sidelines) because Nana left him to go play for the Japan Women's National Team.

Honestly, Shigaraki's origin actually feels a little out of step with the rest of the League. All of them kind of fell through the cracks of a flawed, monolithic society because due to mental or physical abnormalities they simply didn't fit in. Shigaraki's origin is entirely due to personal factors that could occur in pretty much any society. It's not even completely clear that he would have begun specifically hating heroes or All Might had he not been scooped up by AfO and molded into a murderous psychopathic weapon.

Its the classic joker "everyone is just one bad day away..." reason that resonates so well when done right.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder where All For One is in all this though. We know he found Shigaraki right after he killed his family, so he can't be that far off. Either he was always watching from the background or he was coming to kill the family himself when he just happened to stumble upon the aftermath of the massacre. I guess we might find out next week.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Death Bot posted:

This situation is unique because it's fallout from a previous generation of All Might having such a responsibility to society as well as an incredible level of celebrity because of it. It's a midpoint between the standard superhero Can't Have Attachments deal and overwork as generational abuse.

I just hope that gets explored in a way that's more interesting than "look how evil this guy" is and it looks good so far tbh

I definitely think one of the big themes for MHA is going to re-aligning superhuman society to be a little less idolatrous of individual heroes; we've already seen how lovely the public can be and have plenty of good examples of the damage that the current status quo seems to cause

I just think Mr. Handsy himself is going to be 100% about tearing society down, in any form it takes, over building anything that works. Todoroki, Bakugo can do the redemption thing because their goals are noble even if they're going about them the wrong way. Toga, Twice, and knife lizard can maybe do the redemption thing if they can find the kind of acceptance they didn't get before. I could even see capital S shitbirds like Endeavor and Stain realizing that maybe they've been being assholes, if they can get some clarity.

Shigaraki though, isn't going to be satisfied no matter what. He's gotta tear it all down, no matter what "it" is. That's his drive. If he ever had a yearning for anything else, AFO probably brainwashed it out of him.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 19, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I wonder where All For One is in all this though. We know he found Shigaraki right after he killed his family, so he can't be that far off. Either he was always watching from the background or he was coming to kill the family himself when he just happened to stumble upon the aftermath of the massacre. I guess we might find out next week.

I'm hoping he was just waiting for something like this to happen and wasn't the direct catalyst. Giving Shigaraki the monster quirk just feels too obvious.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
JESUS loving CHRIST! The chapter.

Holy poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The real hosed up thing is that - assuming Shigaraki's quirk was natural and was just late in awakening - there was a pretty significant chance it was going to activate in a way that caused a tragedy, especially if it activated as strongly as it did in this chapter. Even if he was a happy child in a supportive and loving household, there's a pretty real chance he would have accidentally killed someone or severely hurt someone by accidentally decaying a building down while leaning on a wall or something.

It kind of reminds me of that infamous X-Men story with the incredibly unfortunate mutant kid whose power awakens and his power happens to be "passively loving kills everyone within several hundred feet of him".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radish posted:

He also seems to be still big on Stain who has an ideology fundamentally different than Shigaraki. Toga's Stain fascination is over their quirks both revolving around blood and his violent image rather than any actually care about what he was killing for.

A few chapters ago we had a Spinner flashback and inner monologue where he's all "You know what? I'm in. I want to see the world Shigaraki creates and I want to help him make it".

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
In hindsight the doctor laughing at shiggy about slumping his entire family went from really malicious to really trolly and kinda funny now

The thought of AfO strolling around doing his normal dick rear end poo poo and stumbling onto the blown up house of his arch nemesis’s grandchild also humours me (but whoever said that AfO was watching in the bushes made me lol too)

If all might had 10% of the foreplanning skills that AFO had there would be worldwide quirk peace

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A few chapters ago we had a Spinner flashback and inner monologue where he's all "You know what? I'm in. I want to see the world Shigaraki creates and I want to help him make it".

Ahh I missed that bit during his flashback.

Kanos posted:

The real hosed up thing is that - assuming Shigaraki's quirk was natural and was just late in awakening - there was a pretty significant chance it was going to activate in a way that caused a tragedy, especially if it activated as strongly as it did in this chapter. Even if he was a happy child in a supportive and loving household, there's a pretty real chance he would have accidentally killed someone or severely hurt someone by accidentally decaying a building down while leaning on a wall or something.

It kind of reminds me of that infamous X-Men story with the incredibly unfortunate mutant kid whose power awakens and his power happens to be "passively loving kills everyone within several hundred feet of him".

Yeah Uraraka could easily have killed her parents or herself in a very similar way. Having a child in MHA world sounds horrifying.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Spinner's gonna become a Shigaraki fanboy and start wearing a bunch of obviously fake hands all over himself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shigaraki being different from the rest of the league in that he was basically smote by god and probably never stood a chance in his environment- and possibly could've had something similar happen even in a SUPPORTIVE environment is pretty cool by me.

Basically if you're gonna have someone in charge it has to be the hard case. Of the league backstories we have now you could have most of the league redeem themselves or try to ameliorate their issues or have them and one of the good guys understand eachother. The gently caress you going to say to Shigaraki? His instigating incident was a legitimate nightmare and just about anyone who could try to talk him down wouldn't have mentally survived it either. This chapter is basically a full on, "Yeah, tell me there's a God" story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

but when he tried to fit in with everyone by adulating them too, his dad beat the poo poo out of him.

Well no his dad only beat the poo poo out of him the one time (Not counting hitting him with the pole when Shigaraki was approaching him with the death touch.) when his sister ratted him out and blamed him for sneaking a look at the grandma picture.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I definitely think one of the big themes for MHA is going to re-aligning superhuman society to be a little less idolatrous of individual heroes; we've already seen how lovely the public can be and have plenty of good examples of the damage that the current status quo seems to cause

I just think Mr. Handsy himself is going to be 100% about tearing society down, in any form it takes, over building anything that works. Todoroki, Bakugo can do the redemption thing because their goals are noble even if they're going about them the wrong way. Toga, Twice, and knife lizard can maybe do the redemption thing if they can find the kind of acceptance they didn't get before. I could even see capital S shitbirds like Endeavor and Stain realizing that maybe they've been being assholes, if they can get some clarity.

Shigaraki though, isn't going to be satisfied no matter what. He's gotta tear it all down, no matter what "it" is. That's his drive. If he ever had a yearning for anything else, AFO probably brainwashed it out of him.

Endeavor's clearly already in the middle of a redemption arc already. He's realized he was a total dickwad, and is trying to both be less of a dickwad now and to make up for what a piece of poo poo he was before.

As for Shiggy, yeah. It's clear why Horikoshi said he was someone who was beyond saving at this point.

(As for the "It would break anyone", it's pretty clear that's part of why there's such obvious parallels between young Shigaraki and Eri and Kota, the two kids Deku saved. If a hero had been there, if someone had saved him then, maybe it wouldn't have to be this way. But it's too late now. Has been for a long, long time.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 19, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do we know all for one picked him up immediately after? It's been so long since I read that bit but I always thought it was more he got turfed out onto the street because nobody was willing to take him in with such a dangerous quirk and he had mostly stopped touching stuff

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I wouldn’t say endeavour is getting redeemed, he barely beat his first real challenge as the #1, most his kids still hate him and the twink all the Fujis have been pairing him with went off the deep end and probably killed a top 5 hero

A shiggy vs enji fight after another slice of life arc where momo gets transferred to the support department would be great

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The sad irony of the situation was that in the last chapter the mother and her parents did confront his dad about his behavior and he did seem like he was regretting his actions. There's a chance things could have changed for the better if he hadn't snapped that night. It was just too little too late.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

(As for the "It would break anyone", it's pretty clear that's part of why there's such obvious parallels between young Shigaraki and Eri and Kota, the two kids Deku saved. If a hero had been there, if someone had saved him then, maybe it wouldn't have to be this way. But it's too late now. Has been for a long, long time.)

I'm not sure it's possible for a hero to have saved Shigaraki, because the nature of his distress was so personal and integral to his family life. Unless the heroes had some kind of Orwellian panopticon to see and determine what was happening and then had the authority to take children away from their families like some kind of superpowered CPS, there's not much that a hero could have done.

"Those heroes didn't save you when you needed them, what a shame" is definitely All For One speaking rather than an accurate depiction of what happened.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Even if shiggy was told sorry and whatnot what’s the assumption that he wouldn’t turn into a normal run of the mill psychopath like muscular? at this point I don’t think AfO had to do much of anything other than putting up dark Phoenix mental barriers

Edit: especially with other kids having way harder upbringings and not murdering their entire family over it

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 19, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I actually like Endeavour's redemption arc quite a bit. He's realizing his faults and trying to show through action rather than words that he's becoming a better person.

Shigaraki does not need a redemption arc. His arc is so much more compelling when they don't try to paint him as a tortured antihero and treat him as a full blown evil villain while still giving him the long term development and cathartic moments of the scrappy outcasts of the villain league overcoming the odds to climb their way to the top like the heroes get.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the way the flashback ends makes me think shigaraki isn't gonna get a redemption arc anyway

Rhonne posted:

Spinner's gonna become a Shigaraki fanboy and start wearing a bunch of obviously fake hands all over himself.

each knife in his knife sword will have its own hand

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

drjuggalo posted:

Even if shiggy was told sorry and whatnot what’s the assumption that he wouldn’t turn into a normal run of the mill psychopath like muscular? at this point I don’t think AfO had to do much of anything other than putting up dark Phoenix mental barriers

Edit: especially with other kids having way harder upbringings and not murdering their entire family over it
Shigaraki accidentally murdered his entire family minus his dad, and then his dad when he tried to hurt him. Even Todoroki didn't have it that hard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

That's a fair point. I'm also possibly misinterpreting the sentiment of a kid wishing his family would disappear and getting that wish they didn't realize the reality of and a kid deliberately killing them.

The shock of the incident was likely a big part too. Simmering resentment over the failures to save him from his dad, having just been on the end of some harsh physical abuse and at his lowest point ever and starting to feel like he just hates everyone, and then everyone just dying suddenly like he "wanted" to happen, well, if you're a kid you probably either you hate yourself for "making it happen" or you embrace it. And even then, he didn't fully accept it; remember when AFO found him and showed him the hands his reaction was horrified and to clutch what little was left of his family in a hysterical embrace.

drjuggalo posted:

Shoto and co didn't have their quirks manifest in a way that murdered everyone they loved. (Except Eri, and then she was promptly rejected by her mother and turned into a lab rat by Overhaul and tortured to the point she "forgot how to smile"; if she hadn't been rescued she'd have probably ended up somewhere dark too.) Then after this traumatic incident, Tenko was homeless and alone for some indeterminate amount of time, then found by All For One, the evilest man ever basically, who immediately began manipulating and twisting him. Saying "nah, he was always bad" because he had resentment over his abuse (Shoto did too, because, you know, that's a pretty natural reaction to that) and then things went to hell in a way that, until he lashed out at his dad, were beyond his control (he didn't even touch his family besides Hana and Mon, just touching the ground while being on his hands and knees killed his mother and grandparents) seems to be dramatically oversimplifying the situation and ignoring a whole lot of stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just saw this pointed out elsewhere:

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/235/6040/5

bottom panel

boy that sure is an anonymous fella in a dark suit innocuously leaving the story shortly before Tenko Shimura's Very Bad Day

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jose posted:

Do we know all for one picked him up immediately after? It's been so long since I read that bit but I always thought it was more he got turfed out onto the street because nobody was willing to take him in with such a dangerous quirk and he had mostly stopped touching stuff

I think it was more bystander syndrome

"Oh that poor kid, I'm sure a Hero will help him eventually"

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
poo poo I forgot todoroki was a edgelord before going to Deku’s special bone breaking therapy. I also thought he said he was iffy on if he accidentally killed his mom before snapping on his dad (granted I was too focused on his mom splitting apart like one of those terry’s chocolate oranges)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I actually like Endeavour's redemption arc quite a bit. He's realizing his faults and trying to show through action rather than words that he's becoming a better person.

It's also given us Awkward Dad Texts from Endeavor to Shouto, which has completely ruled.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All For One was anticipating that Tenko would have a Quirk like Nana's base Quirk, boy was he surprised when it turned out his instrument of revenge has the ultimate serial killer power.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fun fact from School Briefs: Todoroki invited his older sister to Parents’ Day instead of his dad

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
White hair, red eyes. Mutant quirks come with albinism.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Feels like this is gonna tie back into the quirk singularity thing and the series will end with all quirks disappearing, somehow.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Radish posted:

Yeah Uraraka could easily have killed her parents or herself in a very similar way. Having a child in MHA world sounds horrifying.

Heroes are just the people who couldn't cut it as Preschool Teachers.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 20, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

just saw this pointed out elsewhere:

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/235/6040/5

bottom panel

boy that sure is an anonymous fella in a dark suit innocuously leaving the story shortly before Tenko Shimura's Very Bad Day

Later that chapter he gets what seems like a static shock focused on his hand, with a black background and electric jolts in the background. Looks kinda like when AFO was manipulating quirks during Kamino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not every person in a dark suit is All For One