Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to paraphrase:

Oxxidation posted:

Shigaraki: my quirk will turn you to nothing but dust and bone

also Shigaraki: ohh, right, the goo. I always forget about the goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that might have been a mistake after all then, the lack of it before.

I mean, most of those hands aren't in very good condition anymore anyway. Also, they both symbolically and kind of literally represented fragments of his past holding him back, so now that he remembers everything and has embraced his "purpose" of destruction, he might leave them behind. Heck, he might deliberately destroy his father's hand at this point.

This whole arc was just an excuse to make Shigaraki easier to draw.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You say that, but just wait until he unveils a flowing cloak made entirely of hands.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All For One, watching this from a bush: Holy gently caress, this is awesome.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox posted:

I suspect we’ll see the House That Dad Built disintegrated but not mom and pup.

lol puppy disintegrated literally on page 1

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

For the anime, this is something we won't have to worry about for years still. This is way too far along to be season 5; there's no chance season 5 doesn't end with the class 1-A vs 1-B stuff. Every arc has had 1 serious arc and 1 non-serious arc. Season 5'll be the Pro Hero/High-End Nomu and Class 1-A vs 1-B stuff. Unless the rest of this arc is also incredibly dark, there's no chance it'll get a new timeslot for what amounts to one episode. It'll be incredibly highly censored, yeah, but that'll be it.
If they adapt at their usual pace this season we will actually end on the pro hero arc.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
This chapter isn't nearly as graphic as people were making it seem.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Vonnie posted:

people just don't like puppy goo, what can you do?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mangastream translation.

Vonnie posted:

Yeah, the way people were complaining I was expecting it to show skin slowly melting away to show bone or whatever, instead of regular Decay.

All in all good chapter, glad Hori didn't hold back on this, many writers would've been tempted to give Shigaraki some emotional out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rhonne posted:

At this point, I think this arc is going to end with Shigaraki decaying the whole town in one go(while avoiding all his allies).

As an evolution of his personality and ideology I think this checks out. He’s gone from hating everyone to hating everyone who isn’t his friend/ally basically.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Noobs down

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is a pretty dark chapter, and a discretion cut away from the entire flashback might've been more subtle storytelling, but for a series that my main gripe with has been embracing a "there are good guys and bad guys," with only occasional commentary in-between like Endeavor and Stain, it's nice to say, "No, there really isn't that much difference between Deku and a bad person if it comes down to luck of a draw." Though I hope the series doesn't just decide Shigaraki overflowing resentment justifies whatever punishment he gets from the heroes in the end and there's actually some reckoning with the societal flaws that dispossessed him.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I can see Shiggy someday getting Deku to see his side; not that everyone in the world needs to die, but that the problematic world they live in needs to be rebuilt. Young Shigeru is very similar to young Deku, except instead of being encouraged to think like a hero by the best mom ever, he was discouraged by rear end in a top hat Dad.

Shiggy's still unredeemable, though. Guy's gotta go down.

Ultimate (if cliche) twist ending: Shiggy's power was supposed to have been Deku's but got steal-swapped by AfO as a gently caress-you to Nana's family.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mirage posted:

I can see Shiggy someday getting Deku to see his side; not that everyone in the world needs to die, but that the problematic world they live in needs to be rebuilt. Young Shigeru is very similar to young Deku, except instead of being encouraged to think like a hero by the best mom ever, he was discouraged by rear end in a top hat Dad.

Shiggy's still unredeemable, though. Guy's gotta go down.

Ultimate (if cliche) twist ending: Shiggy's power was supposed to have been Deku's but got steal-swapped by AfO as a gently caress-you to Nana's family.

I’d be fine with that swap if shiggis original quirk was once in a lifetime perfect luck. I’m still of the opinion that dekus original quirk was something so useless and one shot that it accidentally let him meet All Might that day.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Shigaraki is 4 years older than Deku.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shigaraki going subconsciously maybe I wanted this to happen I think crosses the line from somewhat interesting backstory to very generic pure evil unless it's just some powerful coping mechanisms going on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

Shigaraki going subconsciously maybe I wanted this to happen I think crosses the line from somewhat interesting backstory to very generic pure evil unless it's just some powerful coping mechanisms going on.

that spoiled part was the most believable and understandable part of the whole flashback

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

His family wasn't so over the top abusive that makes sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

His family wasn't so over the top abusive that makes sense.

who cares? he was five. he was trapped in a life so hopeless and suffocating it was literally making him ill, not in the least because the parts of it that were actually caring and supporting always meekly backed away when the abuse showed up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Todoroki had way more reason to go ham on both his parents and rest of the family that ignored even worse abuse. He didn't have to single moment of gibbing his own dog to trigger his broken abilities to make him a killer but had a very situation situation (abusive dad, family that looked the other way, being forced to live a certain lifestyle) but much worse up until his quirk manifested.

Shigaraki is clearly a bit of an unreliable narrator seeing as how he had previously surpressed this incident so we'll see where this goes.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 19, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

Todoroki had way more reason to go ham on both his parents and rest of the family that ignored even worse abuse. He didn't have to single moment of gibbing his own dog to trigger his broken abilities to make him a killer but had a very situation situation (abusive dad, family that looked the other way, being forced to live a certain lifestyle) but much worse up until his quirk manifested.

there is not a "YOU MUST BE THIS ABUSED TO HARBOR FEELINGS OF VIOLENT RESENTMENT" sign anywhere, trying to quantify degrees of harm is moronic

shigaraki's home life became a microcosm of his perspective towards the world at large - trapped by arbitrary and harshly enforced rules, where every source of love and support he had was poisoned by their deference to the abusive authority figure enforcing them. he was a little kid who couldn't see any way out of his situation so his mindset gradually shifted away from socially-acceptable ways of improving this system ("i'll be a hero and help others!") to something more radical ("the system is unsalvageable, destroy it all")

at this point he's way more sympathetic than the hooting dipshits in the last arc shouting about killing themselves to become heroes without ever examining or explaining why

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're different people, so they reacted differently when placed in somewhat similar situations. If you really need a reason for why they ended up different, you can look at how Todoroki had a hero to look up to (all might) while Shigaraki was denied any chance to connect to a hero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Endeavor's presence also changes the situation - i'm sure that Todoroki very much would have liked to turn his father into a Roman candle after the teakettle incident, but his father was such a pillar of strength that the best he could do was passive-aggressively freeze him out of his life

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

They're different people, so they reacted differently when placed in somewhat similar situations. If you really need a reason for why they ended up different, you can look at how Todoroki had a hero to look up to (all might) while Shigaraki was denied any chance to connect to a hero.

That's a fair point. I'm also possibly misinterpreting the sentiment of a kid wishing his family would disappear and getting that wish they didn't realize the reality of and a kid deliberately killing them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shigaraki was like five or six years old. Basically he had an outburst like any kid would but that coincided with developing the power to instantly kill anyone he touches and the trauma of accidentally murdering a bunch of people first.

Like, imagine if some kids were fighting on a playground and one shouted "just go die!" at another and they actually died.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the dad murder is understandable in the moment even if it was an evil act due to the trauma of what he just experienced and then the attack combined with him being the figure of fear he had to live with.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 19, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This series of villain moment flashbacks building from Toga, Twice, and culminating with Shigaraki makes me doubt we'll get one for Spinner or Compress :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This series of villain moment flashbacks building from Toga, Twice, and culminating with Shigaraki makes me doubt we'll get one for Spinner or Compress :(

Spinner kind of got a tiny one but yeah it's a bummer they probably aren't getting one. They frankly seem less hurt by their past at this point to be in with the other four so I'm wondering if them breaking off will be a plot point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SKULL.GIF posted:

I never had any hopes for Compress but we did get one for Spinner. It's just that Spinner's backstory is unimpressive in comparison to the rest, and likely purpousefully so.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spinner feels like someone that is now way in over his head and I think that is totally intentional.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah, Toga, Twice, and Shigaraki are legit just batshit insane whereas Spinner just seems like a lonely teenager looking for a place to accept his crazy idealistic extremism. Something he'd probably grow out of in a few years in a regular environment.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He also seems to be still big on Stain who has an ideology fundamentally different than Shigaraki. Toga's Stain fascination is over their quirks both revolving around blood and his violent image rather than any actually care about what he was killing for.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Probably Magic posted:

This is a pretty dark chapter, and a discretion cut away from the entire flashback might've been more subtle storytelling, but for a series that my main gripe with has been embracing a "there are good guys and bad guys," with only occasional commentary in-between like Endeavor and Stain, it's nice to say, "No, there really isn't that much difference between Deku and a bad person if it comes down to luck of a draw." Though I hope the series doesn't just decide Shigaraki overflowing resentment justifies whatever punishment he gets from the heroes in the end and there's actually some reckoning with the societal flaws that dispossessed him.

Can you really call an abusive parent and the family that shrugged and let it happen "societal flaws"? Maybe his dad is lovely because All Might's teacher abandoned him, but she could've just as easily abandoned him for her for any other career, or any other number of reasons

I don't see Shigaraki being like Toga or Todoroki. The underpinnings of his issues aren't unique to superhuman society. That's probably part of the reason he's set up as Deku's nemesis--much like All For One, any gestures he makes at societal criticism and philosophy are just posturing. The difference is that AfO wanted domination, and Shigaraki just wants to smash everything that gets on his nerves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Can you really call an abusive parent and the family that shrugged and let it happen "societal flaws"? Maybe his dad is lovely because All Might's teacher abandoned him, but she could've just as easily abandoned him for her for any other career, or any other number of reasons

I don't see Shigaraki being like Toga or Todoroki. The underpinnings of his issues aren't unique to superhuman society. That's probably part of the reason he's set up as Deku's nemesis--much like All For One, any gestures he makes at societal criticism and philosophy are just posturing. The difference is that AfO wanted domination, and Shigaraki just wants to smash everything that gets on his nerves.

shigaraki wound up in his position because everything about the society he lived in adulated heroes, but when he tried to fit in with everyone by adulating them too, his dad beat the poo poo out of him. even if you don't buy all for one's claim that no one came to help him because they were waiting for a hero instead, shigaraki's issues came from his inability to reconcile the hero society's values with his father's bitterness

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFegCQ_7Mug

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

shigaraki wound up in his position because everything about the society he lived in adulated heroes, but when he tried to fit in with everyone by adulating them too, his dad beat the poo poo out of him. even if you don't buy all for one's claim that no one came to help him because they were waiting for a hero instead, shigaraki's issues came from his inability to reconcile the hero society's values with his father's bitterness

I don't really consider that to be a damning indictment of society in and of itself. The same thing could have happened with literally any profession, because the problem is specifically a personal emotional trauma spawning further emotional traumas. There's an alternate universe where Shigaraki really wanted to be a pro soccer player and his dad beat the poo poo out of him(while his whole family watched from the sidelines) because Nana left him to go play for the Japan Women's National Team.

Honestly, Shigaraki's origin actually feels a little out of step with the rest of the League. All of them kind of fell through the cracks of a flawed, monolithic society because due to mental or physical abnormalities they simply didn't fit in. Shigaraki's origin is entirely due to personal factors that could occur in pretty much any society. It's not even completely clear that he would have begun specifically hating heroes or All Might had he not been scooped up by AfO and molded into a murderous psychopathic weapon.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I feel like Compress is there to be the first one the heroes take down. Every villain team needs a Shocker.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
The fact that compress had a normal rear end job before he joined unlike the rest of the league and wears that ski mask under his mask mask leads me to believe he’s gonna be as batshit as shiggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kanos posted:

I don't really consider that to be a damning indictment of society in and of itself. The same thing could have happened with literally any profession, because the problem is specifically a personal emotional trauma spawning further emotional traumas. There's an alternate universe where Shigaraki really wanted to be a pro soccer player and his dad beat the poo poo out of him(while his whole family watched from the sidelines) because Nana left him to go play for the Japan Women's National Team.

this would be an accurate analogy if the society he was in worshiped soccer players, "soccer player" was the number one career choice and aspiration of the majority of the population, you couldn't stick your head out the window without hearing the word "soccer" and there was one burly soccer player in particular who was treated as a latter-day messiah

heroes are so completely pervasive in MHA's world that anyplace that abhors them is a severe aberration, and in shigaraki's house that contradiction was so severe that it literally made him start scratching his skin off

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 19, 2019