Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The goal isn't even to exclude Williamson or Gravel. It's to build a narrative to exclude the next Bernie. Who is, technically, not a Democrat.

Also wait if you exclude "has run against democrats" that excludes AOC / Pressley / Tlaib / Omar ?

It would have excluded Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Main Paineframe posted:

Just passing around the party collection basket at church, totally a thing average voters do, unlike those rich bougie coastal assholes who aren't in touch with the heart of America.

Is that even legal?

Yes, it's legal under a threshold amount if the campaign accounts for it correctly. The problem with Bernie's random $10m in 2016 wasn't that he received $10m in unitemized small-dollar donations, it's that his campaign reported it as if he got 30,000 $35 donations in a single day at a single location.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

eviltastic posted:

Ok, I'm a fan of the debate structure now:
https://twitter.com/ThirdWayTweet/status/1152228304642027521
(the suggestions are: make sure anybody with seniority as a Dem gets in, regardless of polling, make sure anybody who runs against Dems gets the boot, regardless of polling, and the DNC picks for any remaining slots)

How do these Third Way people not notice their logo is a puckered anus?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus, his entire campaign is seriously based on hiding behind Beyonce. Also lol that we're pretending hard as all gently caress that Jay Z isn't there.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

"Whereas you filthy poors are bought and sold everyday"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Every Democratic primary voter needs to know this.

e:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1152287912156946432

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 19, 2019

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Wouldn't doing away with the electoral college require an amendment to the Constitution? I'd be all for it but I don't see how you could get enough states to agree to that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Colonel Taint posted:

Wouldn't doing away with the electoral college require an amendment to the Constitution? I'd be all for it but I don't see how you could get enough states to agree to that.
Voters in the college aren't actually required to vote for the person they are supposed to (see: last election), so if a majority of voters agreed to follow some other system, it would effectively do away with the college.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Colonel Taint posted:

Have it benefit a Democrat one time

It's not going to happen, but it would be amazing if Trump somehow won the popular vote and lost the EC to watch him try to reconcile the two elections.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 19, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

abolish individual representation

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1152298057930891264

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

theflyingorc posted:

Have it benefit a Democrat one time

It's not going to happen, but it would be amazing if Trump somehow won the popular vote and lost the EC to watch him try to reconcile the two elections.

“I won the popular vote but the cheating electoral college stole my reelection. And of course, as you know, I won the popular vote last time too.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Colonel Taint posted:

If you have enough states sign the national popular vote pact to give their votes to the winner of a popular vote it's effectively gone.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

If you have enough states sign the national popular vote pact to give their votes to the winner of a popular vote it's effectively gone.

How many red states have signed that?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

The problem is that, while you can get blue states to sign on, you would need the support of ~50-60 either red or swing states to also sign on for this to matter.

The red states don't want to do it because they think it's the only way they can win the presidency.

The swing states don't want to do it because they feel that doing so would be sacrificing the special attention they get.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

theflyingorc posted:

The problem is that, while you can get blue states to sign on, you would need the support of ~50-60 either red or swing states to also sign on for this to matter.

The red states don't want to do it because they think it's the only way they can win the presidency.

The swing states don't want to do it because they feel that doing so would be sacrificing the special attention they get.

60 swing states should be doable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SKULL.GIF posted:

How many red states have signed that?

None of course heh.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mormonpartyboat posted:

60 swing states should be doable

Should have said EVs

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fixing most of the problems with American federal government at this point is going to require just ignoring parts of the Constitution and getting enough people and states to go along with it, or short of that civil war. That goes for the electoral college as much as anything else.

Like it would be reasonable for the top 10 or so blue states by population (which I believe would represent well over half the country) to just come out and say they're calling for a Constitutional convention and that votes at the convention will be not by state but by population, and that furthermore the results of that convention will be binding on all states. This would be wildly unconstitutional, of course, but assuming you also control the Congress and the Presidency at that time, and they go along with it, it's doable, which is to say it's unlikely to cause actual rebellion. (Violence, most definitely, from right-wing militias, but unlikely to see states secede, et cetera.)

If that sounds like hare-brained bullshit to you, well that's because it is, but the only alternative likely to result in any actual change is civil war (and you probably won't get the change you want, in that case). Even electing Bernie Sanders to the Presidency and progressive Democrats to the House and Senate doesn't eliminate the risk of fascism in the US. Using the state to crush the fascists, however, does.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

Should have said EVs
Getting 60 red or purple EVs is about as likely as getting 60 states, so really not much difference.

Reveilled posted:

“I won the popular vote but the cheating electoral college stole my reelection. And of course, as you know, I won the popular vote last time too.”
I mean that is actually literally what he would say: he already has asserted that as many as 10 million votes in the 2016 election were fraudulent, all of them for Hillary, of course.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/FL4Bernie2020/status/1152325045433327622?s=19

Donut Twitter will surely go wild with this one, almost like it was orchestrated for their benefit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The telling point (well, on top of the actual details, anyway) that this was a bad faith leak is that they went to WaPo, the paper probably most hostile to Bernie and with a material interest in tearing him down, with it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 19, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Noted champion of labor rights The Washington Post, owned by that man of the people, Jeff Bezos.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

No way this is real...

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
It's pretty silly that Bernie thinks he can dictate the decorum or tactics of laborers organizing for better conditions. He's management, he doesn't get to do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hello I'm Cory Booker, thank you for hiring my brother Bory Cooker, he is not a clone of me grown in a vat I promise you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
wait what the gently caress he's actually named Cary Booker????

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Boring Cucker

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexpig by night posted:

Cory Booker is one of the plant people from Don’t Go in the Basement.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

sexpig by night posted:

Cary and Carolyn and their sons Cory and Cary are real people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Cary and Carolyn and their sons Cory and Cary are real people.

I googled this and gently caress you for this not being a joke

nevermind guys I'm on team Booker, america IS ready for its first PoP president (Person of Pod)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Senator Booker, what will be YOUR agenda for your first 100 days?"

"Certainly NOT harvesting Earth's vast water supply for the dying planet Malmak, that I can assure you!"

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I like the way the debate groupings shook out. Bernie gets a chance to peacefully differentiate himself from Warren the first night, but it will mostly be them taking turns dunking on the right-wing hacks. The official recognition that Mayor Pete is a "tier 2 candidate" means his campaign is dead, but his numbers will really nose-dive with how small he looks next to Bernie and Liz.

Night 2 will be the fireworks between Kamala and Diamond Joe. Kamala's gonna come at him hard again, but I expect Joe will have more ammo this time around. The x-factor is Cory Booker who, like Kamala, is good at grandstanding sound-byte moments. He could be the biggest gainer if he shanks Biden, who will probably be getting it from all angles with that lineup.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Whats the source for this? Wanna show my pro Biden friends but don't wanna look dumb if it's fake. Also, i hope Kamala sees this.

Lol. Nvm its all over the news

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Biden was deffo old man white assigned to be Obama's watch in case if the black man hosed up and needed to be taken down a peg to appease those racist people.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Considering buttigieg's feelings towards black people, would a president buttigieg EXPAND our country's cocentration camps?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

nickmeister posted:

Considering buttigieg's feelings towards black people, would a president buttigieg EXPAND our country's cocentration camps?

I think he will find the metrics show datapoints are expendable to serve the zeitgeist

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

sexpig by night posted:

"Senator Booker, what will be YOUR agenda for your first 100 days?"

"Certainly NOT harvesting Earth's vast water supply for the dying planet Malmak, that I can assure you!"
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's a part of me that's going to be sad when the old racist grandpa finally gets knocked out.
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1152345253338406912

Meanwhile, one of the few upshots of Tom Steyer entering the race is that he can show us firsthand what a guy who abuses his workers and fights with his union is like!
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1152259511664697351
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1152286507631337478