Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In case you can't tell I was asking that question sarcastically.

I do the same thing when friends get blown to bits in video games.

Oops, page snipe. Remember this monstrosity? I saw it at the Auto Show way back in like 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XehkMQpeyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hey maybe that guy landed in the water rather than the land on the other side of the freeway (if he did make it to the water and was still alive, he probably drowned)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Mister Speaker posted:

Oops, page snipe. Remember this monstrosity? I saw it at the Auto Show way back in like 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XehkMQpeyA

It can't actually turn, can it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
FOUR HUNDRED MILES AN HOUR

riiiiight :jerkbag:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well a modded 200hp Hayabusa can make it to 200mph, and this makes 400hp, QED.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, weight doesn't even matter at those speeds, and I bet that unfaired pile of bits has about the same total drag as a Viper.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Elviscat posted:

Lol, weight doesn't even matter at those speeds, and I bet that unfaired pile of bits has about the same total drag as a Viper.

Don't all motorcycles have relatively awful drag coefficients?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A guy by the name of Gustav Baumm did some great work in the 50s trying to fix that:

He died aged 35 after crashing one of his prototypes :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A guy by the name of Gustav Baumm did some great work in the 50s trying to fix that:

He appears to be 65 in that photo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Don't all motorcycles have relatively awful drag coefficients?

Yes, and on most naked bikes the majority of it is the rider. You'd have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger just to be able to hold on in a 400mph wind blast, let alone exert any kind of steering effort

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A good and proper outcome for the type of mutant who looks at a motorcycle and thinks putting a box around it is a good idea.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

A good and proper outcome for the type of mutant who looks at a motorcycle and thinks putting a box around it is a good idea.

Peraves says what?
https://youtu.be/jYyfQy3WrxA
https://youtu.be/xT__fZYYxMI
https://youtu.be/VbdkZB9-Sd4

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 20, 2019

tjones
May 13, 2005
Did the guy die after encountering an exhaust leak and passing out?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Spun off a track and hit a tree iirc. lovely 50s helmet (or possibly no helmet) and you'll notice there's no roll cage in that cutaway.

Slavvy posted:

I have room in my heart (if not in my garage) for bikes of all shapes :gaysper:

Yes even that hosed up flywheel poo poo that's actually a two wheeled car

Not quads though. :colbert: This includes that testosterone nightmare at the top of the page.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Anyway the current motorcycle land speed record holder is this thing:

And even with all that streamlining it only ("only" lol) hit 376mph.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fairings work on motorcycles. I think the world record for MPG was, for a while, held by a simple GN125 with a bathtub fairing. The top speed was also greatly increased, probably by whit of a different rear sprocket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing screams 'good engineer, crap rider' louder than a fully faired feet forward bike with training wheels.

Slide Hammer posted:

Fairings work on motorcycles. I think the world record for MPG was, for a while, held by a simple GN125 with a bathtub fairing. The top speed was also greatly increased, probably by whit of a different rear sprocket.

While it's technically true that they work I find it amusing that the example you chose so perfectly exemplifies why they're poo poo.

Along with the funny front end guys they seem to be trying to 'fix' a 'problem' that doesn't exist if you just git gud.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Anyone: I'd like my gas to go further, save a little money, you know

Slavvy: git gud, I make 1000mpg by sheer force of will

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Re: fairings; while I am definitely rehabilitating the luggage and top box for my GL1000, I’m not positive I want to do the same for the Vetter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Re: fairings; while I am definitely rehabilitating the luggage and top box for my GL1000, I’m not positive I want to do the same for the Vetter.

No do it. I’ll bet a bottle of your favorite top shelf booze that hipsters are going to get into Vetter fairings soon and you could sell a restored one for the price of a whole new project bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anyone: I'd like my gas to go further, save a little money, you know

Slavvy: git gud, I make 1000mpg by sheer force of will

If fuel economy is a problem you need a smaller bike and/or take the bus.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Nothing screams 'good engineer, crap rider' louder than a fully faired feet forward bike with training wheels.

As soon as I think of a good and witty burn to this I'll have at you. :argh:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No do it. I’ll bet a bottle of your favorite top shelf booze that hipsters are going to get into Vetter fairings soon and you could sell a restored one for the price of a whole new project bike.

Vetter fairings are objectively ugly and no hipster worth his/her single-sourced artisanal Himalayan salt is going to buy into something with a horrible aesthetic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Vetter fairings are objectively ugly and no hipster worth his/her single-sourced artisanal Himalayan salt is going to buy into something with a horrible aesthetic.

and yet mustaches, skinny shorts, and leather shoes without socks

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Leather shoes without socks is way more widespread than just hipsters (they're probably wearing no-peek socks, btw)

I can't defend hipster moustaches and skinny shorts in terms of the aesthetic statement I made other than to say there's always going to be a fringe element of any group who takes things to the extreme. Maybe those are the folks who would buy a Windjammer for a Goldwing off eBay, but it's going to be a small market compared to the dudes who wear skinny jeans and Bell Bullitt helmets with bass boat paint jobs on their cafe'd 70's CB-somethingorother

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

If fuel economy is a problem you need a smaller bike and/or take the bus.

Next you'll be telling me that if I don't want to get wet I should buy a car :rolleyes:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I interact with a lot of THOSE PEOPLE and one thing I feel pretty confident of is that they absolutely hate fairings of any and all kinds. Fairings are never ever hip, no matter what they look like.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I'm still betting on 90s sport bikes being the next big thing but yeah I can see it being gold wings with a windjammer and ugly old BMW r100rts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I interact with a lot of THOSE PEOPLE and one thing I feel pretty confident of is that they absolutely hate fairings of any and all kinds. Fairings are never ever hip, no matter what they look like.

the tiny cafe bullet fairing that just covers the headlamp is definitely hip. I've seen those on everything from hipster CBs to hipster sportsters

High Protein posted:

I'm still betting on 90s sport bikes being the next big thing but yeah I can see it being gold wings with a windjammer and ugly old BMW r100rts.

Could be, once gen z starts getting into motorcycles. Right now they're still into fortnite and tiktok but it'll happen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the tiny cafe bullet fairing that just covers the headlamp is definitely hip. I've seen those on everything from hipster CBs to hipster sportsters

Wait til you see one on a hipster K75.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pictured: the new (old busted) hotness

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Bubble fairings are dream of every "Cafe racer" build.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress I hate those things. At least the Vetter can hold your audiophile rig probably and keep the bugs off your flannel. Bullet fairing can’t even hide more than a proper pair of sunglasses.

Maybe I’ll fix it up, I don’t know. Can always bin it later.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

the tiny cafe bullet fairing that just covers the headlamp
That is a FINO, fairing in name only

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Already well underway, get them while they're still cheap and ragged.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That Z900 kit is beautiful.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

tjones posted:

That Z900 kit is beautiful.

Yeah it rules.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
These guys are on my local section of thumper talk. I saw a screen shot posted today and eventually found the video. They ride these old goldwings harder than I ride my wr250.

And then there's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqM_PmU1oP4

But seriously check out their channel. They dual sport these things all over Washington. Insanity.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman posted:

These guys are on my local section of thumper talk. I saw a screen shot posted today and eventually found the video. They ride these old goldwings harder than I ride my wr250.

And then there's this...

But seriously check out their channel. They dual sport these things all over Washington. Insanity.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

And then there's this...

That owns so hard. Those goldwings look absolutely awful to manage off road.

Also I wish we had off road trails like that in the east. :sigh: