Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shame Boy posted:

My boss at the time of the whole Russia/Ukraine thing was Ukrainian and gave us daily updates after the morning meeting of what was actually happening on the ground and exactly how Putin was loving them over and getting away with it which was fun.

He grew up there and goes back frequently and knows people from all around Ukraine, and doesn't buy for one second the "Crimea is historically pretty much just Russia and everyone there just wanted Russia to take it anyway" line.

what did he say when the us helped nazis take over ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Remember, you have the freedom to worship God however you want! You can be a Methodist, or a Lutheran, or (heaven forbid) even a Catholic!

e: lmao I forgot the evil metaphorical ISM that represents those evil fascists and commies in this film is actually a corporation called "ISM Inc." :allears:

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Jul 19, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

got any sevens posted:

I don't think I was at that job any of the several times that has happened so I don't know.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

to be fair to france, they were willing to join in on doing an imperialism in libya

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

A nu cheeki breeki iv damke!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Asimov posted:

I always thought the US was protecting Europe and the world from communism, something about dominos or what have you. If it ends in "ism" then are people don't want it. Just the free market where freedoms rain.

Domino's seems pretty ubiquitous in Europe as well, so I think it worked!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i saw like 6 papa john's in ireland

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alucard posted:

I'm just waiting for them to release the ultimate condiment combination of relish and mustard and its inevitably unfortunate name.

Cucumber relish already has mustard in it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Moridin920 posted:

Lolin' at Vietnam proudly fighting off the Japanese with US backing/training and then tried to declare independence from the French using basically the US Declaration of Independence but the US said nah lol you're a colony.

Then the US sent thousands to die. And that's somehow France's fault lmao boomers have such lead riddled brains.

Can't have Puerto Rico, Guam and Samoa gettin' ideas.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pulcinella posted:

Haven’t a lot of countries have gotten bit by “Americans love independence/hate the British. I’m sure they will support us!” style thinking? Iran thought we would support them when they reclaimed their oil fields from the UK. :(

Pretty much, though Vietnam is special in that Ho Chi Minh believed we'd help them and they could become a new little America from before WWI pretty much right up until we sent troops there. He'd been appealing to us for like 50 years, and then when we didn't listen so long he realized oh yeah the Soviets also did a successful revolution lmao

America will waste literally every opportunity to have a permanent alliance of admirers as long as the people who want help aren't white.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KiteAuraan posted:

Can't have Puerto Rico, Guam and Samoa gettin' ideas.

the Virgins of course will never leave

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Shima Honnou posted:

Pretty much, though Vietnam is special in that Ho Chi Minh believed we'd help them and they could become a new little America from before WWI pretty much right up until we sent troops there. He'd been appealing to us for like 50 years, and then when we didn't listen so long he realized oh yeah the Soviets also did a successful revolution lmao

America will waste literally every opportunity to have a permanent alliance of admirers as long as the people who want help aren't white.

homeboy lived in NYC and Boston for a bit and STILL admired america after that. nobody's perfect I guess

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i am so triggered today cspam....i'm loving livid

i decided to treat myself to my favorite burger place for lunch today and they've replaced all the god fearing patriot loving plastic straws with some betacuck paper poo poo. I'm only on my 2nd refill and look at this thing...it's falling apart. time to go yell at the assistant manager folks

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
or you could drink from the cup like a grownup.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

or you could drink from the cup like a grownup.

Hahaha only little babies use drinking straws, you're right! What a stupid child! Hahaha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i do in fact hate paper straws because they taste funny. and dont tell me to buy a metal one i have bad teeth. that poo poo hurts

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

i do in fact hate paper straws because they taste funny. and dont tell me to buy a metal one i have bad teeth. that poo poo hurts

Buy a plastic straw (can even be reusable!) or drink from the cup.

The Bloop posted:

Hahaha only little babies use drinking straws, you're right! What a stupid child! Hahaha

Imagine getting triggered over drinking straws.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
With President Yang's freedom dividend of a $1000 per month, every American will be able to afford a reusable plastic straw of their own!

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

silicone straws

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress straws chug that poo poo like a man

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Lambert posted:

Imagine getting triggered over drinking straws.

Imagine thinking straw bans are anything other than a distraction from any meaningful change with the additional benefit of being abelist as hell.

Its just smug points, the whole outrage over plastic straws is just so some folks can have another thing to try and police their fellow workers with.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GEMorris posted:

Imagine thinking straw bans are anything other than a distraction from any meaningful change with the additional benefit of being abelist as hell.

Its just smug points, the whole outrage over plastic straws is just so some folks can have another thing to try and police their fellow workers with.

I mean, my paper straw is sitting inside a plastic cup that probably uses x10 as much resources to create.

Also, rather then go through several paper straws I just opted to drink out of the cup like a big boy....it was fine I guess.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

i decided to treat myself to my favorite burger place for lunch today and they've replaced all the god fearing patriot loving plastic straws with some betacuck paper poo poo. I'm only on my 2nd refill and look at this thing...it's falling apart. time to go yell at the assistant manager folks

you could take off the single use plastic lid and drink from the single use plastic cup

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's the real part the annoys the gently caress out of me. what's the point of banning free grocery bags (because now it's a dime for a bag most people still treat as disposable except its made of even more plastic) when everything else in our lovely society is still made of disposable plastic. that's not even touching how electronics and even cars are designed to be as annoying as possible to maintain. cell phones in particular we just expect you to buy, break, and buy a new one and they're not resource cheap to manufacture

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Y'all, the ban just means restaurants don't automatically toss 20 plastic straws on the table when you order a round of drinks. If you ask for a straw, you get one. They aren't really banned. Stop believing what chud morons tell you about Hellworld Commiefornia

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bag em and tag em posted:

Y'all, the ban just means restaurants don't automatically toss 20 plastic straws on the table when you order a round of drinks. If you ask for a straw, you get one. They aren't really banned. Stop believing what chud morons tell you about Hellworld Commiefornia

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/viral-tweet-thread-shows-straw-230822656.html

Oh it's a thing.

Ignore the fact that if you are disabled enough to where you cant lift a soda you could bring your own straw.

But then! If you get a metal straw you WILL DIE

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withoutacrystalball/2019/07/plastic-straw-ban-results-in-death/

quote:

A knee-jerk reaction to banning plastic straws could potentially end the lives of other individuals with disabilities. For many people, the only option that works is a plastic straw. If Lena Gardner was using a plastic straw, she would still be alive today.

As you can see, falling down in a freak accident at home would have been avoided if she was allowed plastic straws at resteraunts.

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jul 19, 2019

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/viral-tweet-thread-shows-straw-230822656.html

Oh it's a thing.

Ignore the fact that if you are disabled enough to where you cant lift a soda you could bring your own straw.

But then! If you get a metal straw you WILL DIE

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withoutacrystalball/2019/07/plastic-straw-ban-results-in-death/

That waitress is a moron. You should be a allowed one if you ask.

I can't say there aren't idiots who won't apply the "ban" incorrectly, but the law as it's supposed to work doesn't make the state a stawless hellscape of oppression.

bag em and tag em has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Jul 19, 2019

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bag em and tag em posted:

That waitress is a moron. You should be a allowed one if you ask.

I can't say there aren't idiots who won't apply the "ban" incorrectly, but the law as it's supposed to work doesn't make the state a stawless hellscape of oppression.

Totally applied ignorantly. I meant "it's a thing" as in I see outrage pieces about the evil ban from time to time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i esp liked the take that paper straws are unsuitable for people with "disabilities" that lead to them habitually chewing on the straws

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The point about banning plastic straws and shopping bags specifically is that they are the most likely things to escape from landfills and end up in the ocean.

Please don't concern troll literally the only current legislative efforts to reduce plastic waste at source rather on at an individual consumer level. Obviously banning plastic straws and shopping bags is a fairly tiny thing compared with the amount of waste still going on. But no one has seen those bans and then said "job well done we can stop environmentalism now".

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Enjoying these spiked-level takes on the evils of reducing plastic waste

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
:wooper: the earth is dying because the american consumer made the wrong purchasing decisions :wooper:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If we really want to reduce plastic waste (really, all waste), we would just cancel Christmas.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm opening up an etsy store that sells eco-friendly, reusable and safe alternative to paper, plastic, and metal straws that are made out of varnished animal baculums.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

:wooper: the earth is dying because the american consumer made the wrong purchasing decisions :wooper:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

highly entergaging content

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hope that after the fall of civilisation all that remains of garfield is those lovely phones on that French beach

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hope that after the fall of civilisation all that remains of garfield is those lovely phones on that French beach

i hope that's all that remains of civilization is those lovely phones on that French beach

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Plank Walker posted:

i hope that's all that remains of civilization is those lovely phones on that French beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Nastier Nate posted:

Just LOL if you don't buttchug all of your beverages, my dude.

:poolgirl: