Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

My LS was a strict curve set at median 3.1 I think iirc (it should have been 3.0 but floated up).

I remember being ok with a B- and really happy with a B+

Mine was basically:

A+: only 1-2 handed out per class. You likely got the top score and you'll also get some piece of paper saying you won an award. You might even get TWO awards! Slap those babies on your resume. Time to start looking for clerkships.

A: you whipped rear end. You are probably employable! Enjoy OCI!

A-: you did better than average! Lots of people get this grade though, so don't get too excited. If you're in the top 10% or thereabouts this might actually pull down your GPA slightly.

B+: baseline. OK, but not "good" grade. Almost half of the drat class gets a B+. Welcome to the unwashed masses. Time to sign up for moot court etc. to shore up that resume.

B: you screwed up to some extent and are in the bottom 40% of this class.

B-: you really hosed up. You'll need to have an explanation ready for this one at OCI etc.

C+ or below: May God have mercy on your soul, because prospective employers certainly will not. Don't even bother with moot court or other dippy resume-boosters--you are already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I got a B- in one class and it was one of the most devastating days (at the time) of my sheltered-rear end life, lmao.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

Mine was basically:

A+: only 1-2 handed out per class. You likely got the top score and you'll also get some piece of paper saying you won an award. You might even get TWO awards! Slap those babies on your resume. Time to start looking for clerkships.

A: you whipped rear end. You are probably employable! Enjoy OCI!

A-: you did better than average! Lots of people get this grade though, so don't get too excited. If you're in the top 10% or thereabouts this might actually pull down your GPA slightly.

B+: baseline. OK, but not "good" grade. Almost half of the drat class gets a B+. Welcome to the unwashed masses. Time to sign up for moot court etc. to shore up that resume.

B: you screwed up to some extent and are in the bottom 40% of this class.

B-: you really hosed up. You'll need to have an explanation ready for this one at OCI etc.

C+ or below: May God have mercy on your soul, because prospective employers certainly will not. Don't even bother with moot court or other dippy resume-boosters--you are already dead.

This was pretty much what we used also. I was mostly in the A range but got one C+ because the professor decided he couldn't read my handwriting. Torpedoed my whole average. Yay.
In retrospect I should probably be angrier about that than I was at the time. The same professor tried to hire me as an assistant later, I think because he'd seen me wearing a well-tailored suit that he commented on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Screwed up and in the bottom 40%”

Lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I haven’t thought about my grades and years and years .

Feels good

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
After I got my first job out of law school, I quit caring about my grades and so did literally everyone else. I have a coffee mug that says "World's Most Okayest Law Student" and that more or less summed up my experience.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

After I got my first job out of law school, I quit caring about my grades and so did literally everyone else. I have a coffee mug that says "World's Most Okayest Law Student" and that more or less summed up my experience.

apparently some midlevel jobs still ask for them

i know this because i recall reading a story about someone who conned their way into a biglaw job by just flat out forging a transcript (which, in retrospect, is easy enough: all the jobs that got one from me got a printout i handed them) that said they had great grades. a few years after that, they got tired of the biglaw firm and applied somewhere else, which asked for their grades. figuring that of course now that they had years of job experience, who loving cares, they supplied the new firm with their real grades.

that firm didn't hire him in part because his grades were bad, but also called up the original firm and asked why on earth they'd hired someone with such bad grades. the biglaw firm was like "wtf we'd never hire someone with these grades", figured it out, and reported him to the bar

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

i know this because i recall reading a story about someone who conned their way into a biglaw job by just flat out forging a transcript (which, in retrospect, is easy enough: all the jobs that got one from me got a printout i handed them) that said they had great grades. a few years after that, they got tired of the biglaw firm and applied somewhere else, which asked for their grades. figuring that of course now that they had years of job experience, who loving cares, they supplied the new firm with their real grades.

that firm didn't hire him in part because his grades were bad, but also called up the original firm and asked why on earth they'd hired someone with such bad grades. the biglaw firm was like "wtf we'd never hire someone with these grades", figured it out, and reported him to the bar

that's a pretty bad move on a lot of levels!

I didn't have amazing grades, but I worked the niche I had pretty hard -- I went into law school with a security clearance, which weighed heavily in my favor on picking up internships that required a clearance, of which I did two. I had a bunch of federal experience coming into law school and got more during it, because I knew that was what I wanted to do. Being a bit older and having a relatively robust probably helped offset my grades too.

I think I would have done poorly if I sought employment at most firms, but focusing on and gunning for government employment worked out. The top feedback I got during the OCIs I did to was that my resume was great but my grades were below what they would consider. Since I was scraping the top 1/3 of the class, it gave me a deep sympathy for the people ranked below me.

The fact that we did workshops were they were teaching students how to stretch spartan work experience to fit an entire full page on a resume bolstered my confidence tremendously.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

evilweasel posted:

Man, if you're gonna scam you gotta keep scammin'. Jesus christ.

I had absolutely pedestrian grades. I deserved most of them and have only myself to blame, but my school did have a harder than necessary curve the first 1.5 years. The only grade I was really mad about was a B- I got in environmental law (3L year) that was taught by the school's most ancient professor who had never taught the class before, couldn't have given less of a poo poo, and admitted in the last class that he did a lovely job. Bro, give everyone an A then.

My top 5 friend also got a B-, so that made me feel better. He already had his big law job though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My only goal was to be over a 3.1 and I made that

Top half !! Top half !! Woooo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This was pretty much what we used also. I was mostly in the A range but got one C+ because the professor decided he couldn't read my handwriting.

That's some bullshit even by usual law school standards.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kimsemus posted:

I can tell, your grades take up only 45% of your posts!

(I'm trying to be the SV I want to see in the world)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kimsemus posted:

that's a pretty bad move on a lot of levels!

I didn't have amazing grades, but I worked the niche I had pretty hard -- I went into law school with a security clearance, which weighed heavily in my favor on picking up internships that required a clearance, of which I did two. I had a bunch of federal experience coming into law school and got more during it, because I knew that was what I wanted to do. Being a bit older and having a relatively robust probably helped offset my grades too.

I think I would have done poorly if I sought employment at most firms, but focusing on and gunning for government employment worked out. The top feedback I got during the OCIs I did to was that my resume was great but my grades were below what they would consider. Since I was scraping the top 1/3 of the class, it gave me a deep sympathy for the people ranked below me.

The fact that we did workshops were they were teaching students how to stretch spartan work experience to fit an entire full page on a resume bolstered my confidence tremendously.

Bolded is underappreciated. The only reason I got my first job was because I was working full-time for the entire 4 years between undergrad and law school and I was at a job that required specialized skills and expertise.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/LiamWBZ/status/1152297350808969216

I mean, that’s pretty good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There should be a colon after “you need to calm down” not a hyphen

That is poor work.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Our curve for 1L is 8-12% A/A-, 55% B- or above. I think the median was meant to be set to a B- but in practice it was a hair higher.

My undergrad did not have +/- grades and they never stop looking grade-school-ish to me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Our curve for 1L is 8-12% A/A-, 55% B- or above. I think the median was meant to be set to a B- but in practice it was a hair higher.

My undergrad did not have +/- grades and they never stop looking grade-school-ish to me.

One of the cool things about law school is that lower ranked schools have almost universally harsher curves, so when the hiring committee at Firm X is looking at your grades you'll look worse than people at top schools with inferior performance. Your B+ is their A. Your C is their A-.

You'll have a note on your resume about how you're in the top 10% of your class, but someone from a top 6 school didn't even bother to list their ranking, and they got an A in legal writing, which sure sounds a lot better than your B!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Then what is the point of the rest of the letters in your mickey mouse grading system? Our average was C/D and you'd have to work the minimum 8 hours of study per day to even get that. A and B is reserved for phd students and upcoming career judges/biglaw career climbers only. A very healthy percentage failed out every year and you'd need near perfect grades from high school to get even a shot of getting into University.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Law school is dumb

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Then what is the point of the rest of the letters in your mickey mouse grading system? Our average was C/D and you'd have to work the minimum 8 hours of study per day to even get that. A and B is reserved for phd students and upcoming career judges/biglaw career climbers only. A very healthy percentage failed out every year and you'd need near perfect grades from high school to get even a shot of getting into University.

A B- average is super punative compared to many American law schools. At Stanford they only award "Pass" or "Honors" for any given class. None of their elite cadre ever have to sniff a minus sign next to their results!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
My favorite thing that combines law school grades with the "you may have made a mistake if you are in a court room" situation was a class on negotiation skills.

Two students negotiated against two other students over some hypothetical. If you settled, the professor gave you a grade based on what you got in the settlement. That grade was zero sum (e.g. both teams were not going to get an A - one team might get an A and the other team would get a C, both teams could get a B for a more balanced settlement, etc.).

You could choose to go to trial if you did not settle, in which case your grade would be drawn out of a hat (and it could be a devastatingly bad grade, or an A+ - it was luck of the draw).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

A B- average is super punative compared to many American law schools. At Stanford they only award "Pass" or "Honors" for any given class. None of their elite cadre ever have to sniff a minus sign next to their results!

Well then

Tokelau All Star posted:

Law school is dumb

Yeah. We have "laudabilis" which is a grade average of B or better. The ones who graduate laud are the only ones qualified to be supreme court judges. I'd love it if basically everyone were qualified.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Vox Nihili posted:

To be honest, American law schools should quit pretending and just do the same, but they wont, it would bruise too many fragile egos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Law school is dumb

In some ways but I thought overall it was incredibly effective and one of the best experiences of my life. Just being around people who all (mostly) care about the law and the world and are smart is very cool.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My grades were average but I went to the bar with with the right people often enough so if I wanted to practice, I have a few doors open.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

Have any of you had opposing counsel say something so completely wrong that you had a panic moment and thought you were reading the wrong file?

Happened to me yesterday. Assault 1. Stabbing case. Defendant lacerated a guy’s spleen after a verbal altercation between the defendant’s wife and victim’s girlfriend. Bond reduction argument. Certified legal intern saying he’s a local and has no failure to appear and no reason bond can’t be reduced.

My whole argument was “six prior failures to appear. Two criminal contempts of court. Multiple assault convictions. Reports he’s been stalking the victim. And an escape conviction.”

When she said no prior failures to appear I genuinely panicked and thought I was about to argue the wrong file.

A couple of years ago we had two med mal cases running. Same defendant doctors. Same attorneys on each side of the aisle. Plaintiffs had the same name.

It took me an laughably long time to get them straight. Every time they'd come up for motions I'd have this moment of "wait, they need to adjourn so they can take her dep? I thought she died!"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

My favorite thing that combines law school grades with the "you may have made a mistake if you are in a court room" situation was a class on negotiation skills.

Two students negotiated against two other students over some hypothetical. If you settled, the professor gave you a grade based on what you got in the settlement. That grade was zero sum (e.g. both teams were not going to get an A - one team might get an A and the other team would get a C, both teams could get a B for a more balanced settlement, etc.).

You could choose to go to trial if you did not settle, in which case your grade would be drawn out of a hat (and it could be a devastatingly bad grade, or an A+ - it was luck of the draw).

This is awesome, except the “trial” option should also include a wild card in the hat that forces everyone take the course again in two years

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
At my university we use the fail/pass/credit/distinction/high distinction model. P = 50 - 65; C = 66 - 75; D = 76 - 85; HD = 86 - 100. I think our grades were generally scaled so that a pass was the average grade (maybe a credit by the time I left), but I don't think they ever officially capped it at like "you can only give out two HDs per class" or whatever.

Is The Golden Key international honours society a big deal in the US, or even anything you've ever heard of at all? They told us it was but I don't believe them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Is The Golden Key international honours society a big deal in the US, or even anything you've ever heard of at all? They told us it was but I don't believe them.

In the US we have the "Order of the Coif." Many, but not all, law schools participate, and if you're in the top 10% of your class you qualify for membership. I mention this because you can order some sort of golden key from them if you're admitted, but mostly I think you just get a certificate and a line on your resume.

Anyway, I've never heard of this Golden Key Society you mention, but it appears to be a similar thing but for the top 15% rather than top 10%.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
There’s also the legal honor societies you can join, which is the law school equivalent of paying to be named a “SuperLawyer” or “rising star” from those legal orgs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I joined the Federalist Society :)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I wanted to join but never got around to it. Their lectures have pretty good food and are pretty frequent. I also learned a lot about the history of the 2nd amendment and the incorporation movement from a lecture titled "Lawful gun owners: the true oppressed minority in today's America" or some such.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Throatwarbler posted:

I wanted to join but never got around to it. Their lectures have pretty good food and are pretty frequent. I also learned a lot about the history of the 2nd amendment and the incorporation movement from a lecture titled "Lawful gun owners: the true oppressed minority in today's America" or some such.

Lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Throatwarbler posted:

This but ironically.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I would go get food at the federalist society meetings and leave before the lecture started.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I joined every society that offered free pizza in their meetings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i tried to join the lawyers guild but everyone was so ugly !!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Same, and I also spun off our law school firearms law club from the Federalist Society, then a couple of us spun off a law club for veterans.

We drew big crowds despite the law school being super lefty because we always had Chick-Fil-A at our events. :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Throatwarbler posted:

lol ok throatwarbler is good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You don't need to actually join the Federalist Society. Show up for free food and slap something about it on your resume if you want to apply for a clerkship with a Bush appointee or whatnot.