Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how this version of the medallion looks like a coin hanging from his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know, it looks cheap, and all the dialogue they picked sounds like something from Uwe Boll's epic masterpiece In The Name of the King / classic fantasy opus Eragon.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know, it looks cheap, and all the dialogue they picked sounds like something from Uwe Boll's epic masterpiece In The Name of the King / classic fantasy opus Eragon.

The Dungeon Siege movie is a tour de force and I won't hear a word against it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
meh, looks okay, its trying too hard to be game of thrones but maybe they've just cut the trailer specifically that way

hope its more of geralt chugging potions and fighting giant spiders and unravelling mysteries by himself

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So my earlier fears are gone, but I'm still nervous it's going to suck but at least I will watch it now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

steinrokkan posted:

alot of the stuff looks very faithful to the book. the games are faitful to the books to but less directly.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
Looks like that weird-rear end Nilfgaard armor we saw earlier is here to stay.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

In It For The Tank posted:

It's been a long time since I read the books but it looks like they won't be just doing Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. I recognized some stuff, like Blaviken (I think?), Brokilon, and scenes from the First Nilfgaard War, but a lot of it looked new.

They're probably going to be mix and matching everything they can. Hell, bits of it even looked like they were going into Yennefer's backstory pre-Last Wish which I don't believe is detailed beyond she was a hunchback.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ice Fist posted:

So my earlier fears are gone, but I'm still nervous it's going to suck but at least I will watch it now.

I was going to watch it even if it looked bad.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I was going to watch it even if it looked bad.

Same.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dude, Cavill looking jacked.

Hopped up on potion Geralt at the end there made me smile.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty interesting how un-glam they're making Yen in those scenes.

One season is not nearly enough to get Ciri to Aretuza, I'm worried they're just gonna go for broke and try to do every story beat at once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was that Myanna Buring playing Margarita? Neat that she's involved since she voiced Annarietta in Blood and Wine.

Looks decent but I did see the rhino scrotum Nilfgaard armor.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

DrakeD posted:

Looks like that weird-rear end Nilfgaard armor we saw earlier is here to stay.

Yes, looks really cheap and out of place compared to the guys they are fighting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think that Ciri is going to Aretuza this season. They showed young misshapen Yennefer so I'm guessing that Aretuza will be a flashback to her original training on Thanedd as a way to get her backstory in as well as to introduce the sorceresses who will form the Lodge. It looks like it's the short stories up to the end of Sword of Destiny, since it shows the slaughter of Cintra and Sodden Hill.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
At least they're gonna stick pretty close to the books.

The worst part of the Polish TV series was how it deviated from the books in major ways and made the show largely about Geralt's personal struggle about what it meant to be human

Off the top of my head:

-Witchers aren't dying, there are a ton of them (including a whole school of female witchers) and they appear to live in a rock quarry
-Witcher mutations strip you completely of human emotion, including sex drive iirc. So, the mutations effectively remove what it means to be human.
-Instead of getting extra mutations, Vesemir the druid stops Geralt from getting the final mutations. Because he's not fully mutated, Geralt is still partly human which sets him apart from the other witchers.
-Geralt gets into it with the head witcher, I forget the details, but he's banished and an outlaw. The school sends other witchers to hunt him down.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think that Ciri is going to Aretuza this season. They showed young misshapen Yennefer so I'm guessing that Aretuza will be a flashback to her original training on Thanedd as a way to get her backstory in as well as to introduce the sorceresses who will form the Lodge. It looks like it's the short stories up to the end of Sword of Destiny, since it shows the slaughter of Cintra and Sodden Hill.

In "The Last Wish," Yen is explicitly described as not "a great beauty," even though she has definite appeal. In most of the rest of the books she's basically the most beautiful woman on the Continent. TLW has terrible continuity with the rest of the series, but I was thinking the Yen we saw was more based on that. 5/10, would not bang.
:goonsay:

Your theory makes a lot more sense, though, and if they just introduce Ciri this season I'll be a lot happier with the show's narrative potential.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Norton the First posted:

In "The Last Wish," Yen is explicitly described as not "a great beauty," even though she has definite appeal. In most of the rest of the books she's basically the most beautiful woman on the Continent. TLW has terrible continuity with the rest of the series, but I was thinking the Yen we saw was more based on that. 5/10, would not bang.
:goonsay:

Your theory makes a lot more sense, though, and if they just introduce Ciri this season I'll be a lot happier with the show's narrative potential.

Geralt was also projecting hard on Yennefer in The Last Wish because he was actively looking for ways to dislike her. He settled on the (well founded) assumption that Yen had magicked away her ugly features, but she couldn't get rid of the ugliness that lingered in bitter eyes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahaha I just died from a fall and Geralt did the Wilhelm scream

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Geralt was also projecting hard on Yennefer in The Last Wish because he was actively looking for ways to dislike her. He settled on the (well founded) assumption that Yen had magicked away her ugly features, but she couldn't get rid of the ugliness that lingered in bitter eyes.

It's interesting, because I've never gotten the "projection" thing, but you mentioning it made me think about how closely the third-person narrator tracked with Geralt's own value judgments. I mean, it is a third-person narrator, and it's party to all sorts of things that Geralt isn't party to. So I've taken this as a straightforward bit of narration:

The Last Wish posted:

Geralt glanced keenly at the elf. For a second time, he thought he saw traces of a blush on his face. It surprised him no less than Chireadan's words. Pure-blooded elves were not wont to admire human women, even the very beautiful ones, and Yennefer, although attractive in her own way, couldn't pass as a great beauty.

Each to their own taste but, in actual fact, not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking. Indeed, all of them came from social circles where the only fate for daughters would be marriage. Who would have thought of condemning their daughter to years of tedious studies and the tortures of somatic mutations if she could be given away in marriage and advantageously allied? Who wished to have a sorceress in their family? Despite the respect enjoyed by magicians, a sorceress's family did not benefit from her in the least because by the time the girl had completed her education, nothing tied her to her family anymore - only brotherhood counted, to the exclusion of all else. So only daughters with no chance of finding a husband become sorceresses.

Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation — straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching hare-lips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession.

Maybe "not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking" is the narrator tracking with Geralt's own mind, while he's making a laughably false claim in his own head as a defense mechanism against his immediate fascination with Yen. I take it as TLW not being fully in continuity, because TLW is not fully in continuity. Sapkowski didn't know he was writing an epic when he wrote these stories. But at least it makes me interested as to the nature of the narrator in these stories (the stories before Sapkowski really got narratively inventive).

Norton the First fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 20, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More like the WHINGER.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Maggot Soup posted:

Geralt's glasses are good actually. (sorry for poor picture quality)

late reply but you missed an opportunity to have it say "witch you were here" or "witcher you were here"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that bit with the chain is definitely the bit from Last Wish with the striga

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I noticed is that they put the voiceover talking about how the Elves taught humanity how to harness the Power/Force/Chaos over footage of the dryads, who were pretty emphatically not Elves in the books. I'm wondering if they've changed that for the show. I could see them condensing Eithné's independence campaign with Francesca Findabair negotiating an Elven province in Dil Blathanna.

Also I feel like Essi Daven won't be in the show in which case Lauren Hirssich is a monster.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something I noticed is that they put the voiceover talking about how the Elves taught humanity how to harness the Power/Force/Chaos over footage of the dryads, who were pretty emphatically not Elves in the books. I'm wondering if they've changed that for the show. I could see them condensing Eithné's independence campaign with Francesca Findabair negotiating an Elven province in Dil Blathanna.

Also I feel like Essi Daven won't be in the show in which case Lauren Hirssich is a monster.

I guess they might combine elves and dryads, it looks like elves will be darker-skinned? Which is an interesting and imo good take, elves are repressed second-class citizens and victims of pogroms.

It does seem like they're trying to take a Game of Thrones route with less emphasis on Geralt and more on Yen and other characters, plus some epic large-scale battles.

Honestly it looks pretty good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can see the episode structure being an A-plot based around Geralt's short story adventures and a B-plot regarding Ciri and the machinations of Philippa and other sorceresses to manipulate the bloodline established by Ithlinne's Prophecy, dipping in and out of Geralt's main plot through Yennefer until he and Ciri are finally bound by Destiny.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm surprised how good the reception has been, honestly. People seem excited. The most anger I've seen is directed at Triss's casting, and I feel a good part of that is good ol' fashion racism/relying too much on the game and their decision to change her hair color inexplicably.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

steinrokkan posted:

That honestly looks and mainly sounds like total melodramatic trash.

I hope that's mostly the editing of the trailer. But my gut tells me I'm not gonna love it.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm surprised how good the reception has been, honestly. People seem excited. The most anger I've seen is directed at Triss's casting, and I feel a good part of that is good ol' fashion racism/relying too much on the game and their decision to change her hair color inexplicably.

I love redheads so much. The fact that they've chosen a darker-skinned woman with freckles is a genius bit of diversity casting that also satisfies gross weirdos like me.

(gently caress Triss though, for reals.)

Arglebargle III posted:

More like the WHINGER.

That's, like, Geralt's whole story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nippon has a nakama, Geralt has a Hansa.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm super pumped about this show. And Henry Cavill is super pumped about being Geralt. Watching him talking about "the conjunction of spheres" in an interview segment was incredible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Can't wait to see him fight guys dressed as nutsacks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

yeah arnt most sorceresses physicaly disabled/disfigured when young and then they kinda magic vivsect themselves into super beauties.

EDIT: ok yeah i was sorta right.

chaosapiant posted:

I'm super pumped about this show. And Henry Cavill is super pumped about being Geralt. Watching him talking about "the conjunction of spheres" in an interview segment was incredible.

i am glad he actually likes the series or something.

Pellisworth posted:

-Witchers aren't dying, there are a ton of them (including a whole school of female witchers) and they appear to live in a rock quarry
-Witcher mutations strip you completely of human emotion, including sex drive iirc. So, the mutations effectively remove what it means to be human.
-Instead of getting extra mutations, Vesemir the druid stops Geralt from getting the final mutations. Because he's not fully mutated, Geralt is still partly human which sets him apart from the other witchers.
-Geralt gets into it with the head witcher, I forget the details, but he's banished and an outlaw. The school sends other witchers to hunt him down.

i like that part of the reasons witcher are dying out is because is because technology is slowly advancing so that a bunch regular armed dudes can kill monster too and cheaper than a witcher.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Can't wait to see him fight guys dressed as nutsacks

yeah, i still kinda hate the armor designs. it looks too cheap generic fantasy. the witcher games kinda had mix of realistic and fantasy ala game of thrones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I guess they might combine elves and dryads, it looks like elves will be darker-skinned? Which is an interesting and imo good take, elves are repressed second-class citizens and victims of pogroms.

It does seem like they're trying to take a Game of Thrones route with less emphasis on Geralt and more on Yen and other characters, plus some epic large-scale battles.

Honestly it looks pretty good.

yeah its really interesting take. i do hope they keep dryads and elves separate though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Cintran armors do look good and I like that their helmets seem to be taking a bit of a Spanish/Portugese inspiration, as befits the southernmost Northern Kingdom on the coastline.

The Last Kingdom remains the only show on television where armies fight in formations though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

The Last Wish posted:

The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. 

Bloody hell, this makes me glad I have not read the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The books are good and everyone acts like an rear end in a top hat in that particular story. Yennefer does get her payback by charming Geralt into beating people up for her, since she figures out pretty quick what he thinks of her.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Arcsquad12 posted:

The books are good and everyone acts like an rear end in a top hat in that particular story.

It was the author I disliked, with my angry and cold eyes and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
There's a little bit more about it here, https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflixs-the-witcher-exclusive-footage-revealed-at/1100-6468553/, talking about other clips that were shown during the comic-con, including Geralt monologuing to his horse.

I mean, I'm cynical enough not to trust it, but it at least looks better quality standard than say the World of Warcraft movie.