Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's oddly not the first time I've seen somebody pretend to be somebody else so they can bask in their e-fame. It happens to voice actors a lot, for some reason.

Hey everyone, it is I, Vic Mignogna.

Did I do it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zedd posted:

Isn't she like mid 20's? Like actually looking that up is creepy but IIRC she just looks younger.

I'm allowed to say this cause I still look like 22 and I'm 30 now. :v:

27 i just assumed she was 21 or something. oops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So that's how many now who've ditched the thread thanks to assholes? Lupa, KKall, Pirate Jenny, that guy who was pretending to be Phelous before he got found out... Who else?

The internet makes you stupid or psychotic.

I have always viewed this place as pretty safe honestly. i am not a big youtuber though and i am sure being one means you have to basicaly be careful about everything you do because creeps and assholes but the SA community itself is mostly decent.

Groovelord Neato posted:

27 i just assumed she was 21 or something. oops.

poo poo, she is about my age, i always always assumed the same as you did. what is the average age for goons? mid 30s?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I blame Boogie for this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boogie blunderland.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Edit: nvm, this post was not worth my time to write nor anybody's time to read.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I just skip posts here whenever the topic turns to Boogie. It drags on for a while and I don't know anything about him other than the fact that he's some kind of rear end in a top hat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Did I do it right?

That case has had a whole lot of :yikes: dropped in it in the last day or so. CW-level stuff.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Did I do it right?

banned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regardless, I do feel bad that SA can't be a safe spot for people to discuss things they care about. It's certainly been a safe haven for me compared to places I've frequented like The Escapist or TvTropes, which were just awful. It's the only place online that I've felt comfortable talking about things that bother me on a personal level, and the fact that I am comfortable enough to confide with strangers about my troubles is reassuring. I hope that the people who leave can find a place where they aren't hounded or stalked or harassed, because only Nazis deserve that kind of psychological stress.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Regardless, I do feel bad that SA can't be a safe spot for people to discuss things they care about. It's certainly been a safe haven for me compared to places I've frequented like The Escapist or TvTropes, which were just awful. It's the only place online that I've felt comfortable talking about things that bother me on a personal level, and the fact that I am comfortable enough to confide with strangers about my troubles is reassuring. I hope that the people who leave can find a place where they aren't hounded or stalked or harassed, because only Nazis deserve that kind of psychological stress.
Like I said a couple pages ago, that's just not how the internet works anymore, and I don't see a way how that comes back, short of breaking up the tech giants into a ton of different companies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

yeah. it does suck but id say this place probably is one of the safer places online. its well moderated and pretty viberate community but its "dead" and uncontroversial(resetera, neogaf were lighting rods for that kinda stuff) that its not a big target for weirdos and trolls. i have seen what other sites do say about us and its mostly about mods/lowtax/old drama and we arnt really actively hated so thats nice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seriously. People under gross pressure deserve a place to be safe. I guess I kind of nursed this dumb hope that this thread could sometimes be like a very small release valve for people who make videos. It seems like such a constant stream of petty bullshit.

SA’s the only place I’ve ever let my guard down. I’ve posted here under one or another name since I was in high school.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
getting a phone call from a dude who hated me enough on another forum to scrape whatever info he could so he could find the "real me" was certainly a freaky loving thing in the mid-oughts. actually having a public face on the internet, I can't imagine how unsettling it must be, especially these days, ESPECIALLY for women.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

At the very least, there's private chats and WhatsApp groups and all that sort of thing.

This thread allows folks to be less vague than they'd generally be on social media so it can be a bit of a release valve just to shoot poo poo about whatever as long as you don't care about who's reading. But not everyone has that luxury obviously and you gotta be a bit mindful, not just of the creeps and A-Logs but of how much you actually choose to share. Chances are there's always someone out there jerking off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A high school kid was kidnapped and murdered on instagram live last week by an incel who followed her twitter. It’s loving terrifying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Am I crazy or did youtube actually remove the ability to get links to videos at certain times from the site?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

getting a phone call from a dude who hated me enough on another forum to scrape whatever info he could so he could find the "real me" was certainly a freaky loving thing in the mid-oughts.
I remember someone who got Helldumped here back in the day got so angry at the person we now know as Jeb Lund that he called his house to threaten him. Except he didn't get Jeb, he got his wife.

Given how much of an rear end in a top hat Jeb was (and still is to a lesser extent), it's tempting to chalk that up to a case of "there are no winners here."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A high school kid was kidnapped and murdered on instagram live last week by an incel who followed her twitter. It’s loving terrifying.

that’s how it was initially reported (by dumbass Ian miles cheong) but not how it actually went down.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
well don't leave us hanging

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

that’s how it was initially reported (by dumbass Ian miles cheong) but not how it actually went down.

if i remember correctly. the girl had private discord and used dudes to buy her stuff or some poo poo and tried playing them against each other and blackmail them or something. she ended up going to a concert with one of them and another one of the dudes figured out where she was and lured her off and murdered her. the whole situation was loving horrific and depressing.

I havent heard that term in loving years. not since my lovely teen days on boards of ill repute and thats why i love this place, because those places were loving awful because if your facade broke even once, you would be the knew punching bag.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A-Logs are those college tests they take in Britain, aren't they

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He hasn't finished his treatise on the prequels yet so we can't debate whether he's on the wrong side of history or not.

Not an emptyquote.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arcsquad12 posted:

So that's how many now who've ditched the thread thanks to assholes? Lupa, KKall, Pirate Jenny, that guy who was pretending to be Phelous before he got found out... Who else?

The internet makes you stupid or psychotic.

Jay-O (Jacob Chapman) used to post here.

I remember Jay-O and HBomb getting into tiffs on some subjects, back around 2014 or so, in one of the earlier iterations of this thread.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

A-Logs are those college tests they take in Britain, aren't they

no, its not.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=A-Logging

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He hasn't finished his treatise on the prequels yet so we can't debate whether he's on the wrong side of history or not.

as long as he doesn't think they are legit deep works than i don't care. i fully admit i grew up with them as kid and as bad as i think they are now, i still have soft spots for parts of them or at least concepts. that being said i will never understand people who think they are amazing and deep and better than the originals or even the new movies.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Am I crazy or did youtube actually remove the ability to get links to videos at certain times from the site?

You should still be able to do it. On desktop, it'll be under 'SHARE', and you have a checkbox that will let you mark it to change the URL to add a time code.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Right-clicking on the video and selecting "Copy Video URL at current time" still works for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

no, you're confusing things, the 'SHE HAD A SECRET SEX DISCORD WHERE SHE MANIPULATED POOR INCELS' was what the IMC crowd made up, he then tried to pretend they didn't by being all 'drat girls be safe out there' but the facts pretty well sync up with the original story of 'this freak got violent with someone he felt he had a parasocial entitlement to'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been following Lindsay's stuff since her first video on TGWTG and I wish one day she'll be free of internet assholes and creepos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

You should still be able to do it. On desktop, it'll be under 'SHARE', and you have a checkbox that will let you mark it to change the URL to add a time code.

That's the one I normally used before and I don't see it anymore.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Right-clicking on the video and selecting "Copy Video URL at current time" still works for me.

Huh I didn't even think about that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

That's the one I normally used before and I don't see it anymore.

That's weird. It's showing up for me.

The arrow circled in red opens the 'Share' box, and the area circled in blue is where it shows the URL and the 'Start At' checkbox and time selection.

Like I said, I'm on the desktop site, and I'm using Firefox, so maybe there's an extension or user script I have that's allowing me to do it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jenny posted:

So whichever one of you assholes posted screencaps of my last post to reddit and had concerned citizens e-mailing me this morning, this is why we can't have nice things. I kind of figured "keep this behind the paywall" was implicit, but really I'm the idiot and I should have known better. It was way past time I stopped lurking/posting here anyway, so, peace.

It's sad to see you go but perfectly understandable. Peace.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been following Lindsay's stuff since her first video on TGWTG and I wish one day she'll be free of internet assholes and creepos.

:emptyquote:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Jay-O (Jacob Chapman) used to post here.

I remember Jay-O and HBomb getting into tiffs on some subjects, back around 2014 or so, in one of the earlier iterations of this thread.

Specifically I think it was the anime Cross Ange that they argued about. I haven't watched it myself but I've heard... things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not posting on SA is a good start :v:

(This is a bad joke)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

Specifically I think it was the anime Cross Ange that they argued about. I haven't watched it myself but I've heard... things.

That's the show where the first episode had prison sodomy to make a girl able to pilot a robot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alacron posted:

All you need to know is you should not watch Cross Ange. And to back away slowly from anyone who defends it or likes it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

That's weird. It's showing up for me.

The arrow circled in red opens the 'Share' box, and the area circled in blue is where it shows the URL and the 'Start At' checkbox and time selection.

Like I said, I'm on the desktop site, and I'm using Firefox, so maybe there's an extension or user script I have that's allowing me to do it.

Yeah I have no idea what we're doing differently then. I'm also on Firefox and the option isn't there at all, that part of it just looks completely different. But I'm on my laptop so maybe that's the difference? It'd just automatically go to desktop in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
tbh I'm happy for her that she's freed herself from the bonds of this site. I'm on here a lot less than I used to be, but sometimes I wish I could just completely quit, and not subject myself to the incessant pedantry, baroque slapfights, and weird self-flagellating.

This is especially no place for known people. I suspect within the year hbomb, donoteat, and Dan will completely stop posting here, and they'll be totally justified doing so. this is the place that tried to ruin Neil Ciceriega for no adequate reason, that helped demonize a lot of harmless internet subcultures, that skeeved out Kate Beaton. I know most of the people responsible are gone, but their spirit lives on here.