Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gonna go back and listen to the original OZY episode then.

One of the top ten all time intros in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

now this is a sneer of cold command i can get behind

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlimGoodbody posted:

This was my feeling, too. Yang correctly identifies some of the problems, but is too much of a STEM-lord to properly conceive of their causes or solutions. His motivations are good, and he seems like a kind dude that wants to help, but is too privileged to really understand how to do it. I'd be his friend, but I wouldn't vote for him.

He seems reachable though, like he could maybe be radicalized over time.

Yang is absolutely not reachable and this is why it’s irresponsible for Chapo to have him on. He’s a goddamn VC, a banker without the tie. He’s not even a Warren-like stooge with “plans,” he is an evil totem of capital, who has done the political and economic calculation that it would be profitable to pay people $12k a year to STFU and play video games while he and his ilk destroy the planet. UBI, and his message of free poo poo in general should absolutely be co-opted by the left, but Yang in particular deserves nothing but scorn and derision. gently caress him and gently caress the Chapos for shifting the Overton window away from revolution and back toward the murky waters of garbage-tier electoral gimmicks. What’s next, and honest conversation with Tucker loving Carlson?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Can’t wait for the Our-Incredible-Journey public letter to be posted to Hacker News after Yang drops out.

Now that I think of it, all the minor candidates are just gunning to be acqui-hires into the cabinet.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Uranium posted:

Can’t wait for the Our-Incredible-Journey public letter to be posted to Hacker News after Yang drops out.

Now that I think of it, all the minor candidates are just gunning to be acqui-hires into the cabinet.

I'm fine with Marianne's new job as *read notes* Secretary of Health and Human Services

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Kobayashi posted:

I think the reason I never got into these podcasts is because I don't have a sense of humor anymore. I used to, but it was shaped by capitalism and isn't relevant or helpful to the left. All I have is rage, anger, and a dour seriousness that I try to compensate for by being nicer and politer than I used to be. And if that's not :goonsay: I don't know what is.

Have you considered learning to code? There's a warm & friendly GBS thread waiting for you my friend!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892981&perpage=40

(please lower your educational expectations to "Goons-kind-of-trying-to-teach")

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Uranium posted:

At least he'll leave a nice corpse for n-gate

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

And people say global warming is bad.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Watching the Yankees and the announcer thinks ozyfest is the music festival.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kobayashi posted:

Yang is absolutely not reachable and this is why it’s irresponsible for Chapo to have him on. He’s a goddamn VC, a banker without the tie. He’s not even a Warren-like stooge with “plans,” he is an evil totem of capital, who has done the political and economic calculation that it would be profitable to pay people $12k a year to STFU and play video games while he and his ilk destroy the planet. UBI, and his message of free poo poo in general should absolutely be co-opted by the left, but Yang in particular deserves nothing but scorn and derision. gently caress him and gently caress the Chapos for shifting the Overton window away from revolution and back toward the murky waters of garbage-tier electoral gimmicks. What’s next, and honest conversation with Tucker loving Carlson?

Podcasting is not activism. They've been really open about this. They clearly think it is fun, cool and good to have guests with a higher profile than Stav on the show, and a good way of increasing the amount of people who wants to come on your show is to have had other high profile guests. It's not like they've not given Yang plenty of scorn and ridicule in previous episodes; I doubt anyone listening to the show have not heard their arguments for why he sucks.

...also, do you seriously believe the idea of revolution was a part of mainstream US politics until the Chapos derailed it? They really don't have that kind of influence. It would be fun if they were more radical and tanky, but aside from Matt semi-regularly publicly washing his hands of it all they've never really tried to stand outside of electoral politics; they cut their teeth on making fun of and commentating on both republicans and democrats, not by calling for revolution.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is all just laying the groundwork for Virgil's political interview podcast, which is what he'll do after Chapo collapses sometime in the next 18 months.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

cenotaph posted:

Watching the Yankees and the announcer thinks ozyfest is the music festival.

like the jocks would know what a nerd conference was.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

This is all just laying the groundwork for Virgil's political interview podcast, which is what he'll do after Chapo collapses sometime in the next 18 months.

i used to be worried about this but at this point theyd all probably do better podcasts that id still enjoy listening to on their own. a matt christman podcast would be great

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Virgil was late to the party, so he does not get a cut of the sweet Patreon cash; he gets to build a platform for himself in exchange for content.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

thotsky posted:

Virgil was late to the party, so he does not get a cut of the sweet Patreon cash; he gets to build a platform for himself in exchange for content.

I thought he and Amber got cut in once they became cohosts.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CombineThresher posted:

It was a joke.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

i used to be worried about this but at this point theyd all probably do better podcasts that id still enjoy listening to on their own. a matt christman podcast would be great

I wouldn't mind a Chris interviewing people podcast either.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

THS posted:

Hmm...

You Love to See It, wherein felix complains about lag and talks about how MBS is just like Conor MacGregor or whatever

Menaker's Mentionables, where he critiques the NY Times and WaPo opinion sections, with occasional food and anime reviews

Inebriated Past, of course

Virgil interview podcast

Red Scare

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I wouldn't mind a Chris interviewing people podcast either.

Check out And Introducing... The Felix episode about SoundCloud rap and the Jess McKenna episode about FyreFest are my favourites.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would so be down for Inebriated Past as a dedicated thing, along with Frost/Christman movie reviews and History as a Weapon stuff with that guy from Antifada. I hope the group sticks together because they balance each other out pretty well, but they could all do interesting solo projects if they wanted to.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

2019 Cliff Yablonski

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’m so happy for Jeff k

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
aryan tradwife who will cook and clean for me whilst I game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hilariously i posted in the chap subreddit recently and got auto banned from /r/f*ckthealtright

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Hmm...

You Love to See It, wherein felix complains about lag and talks about how MBS is just like Conor MacGregor or whatever

Menaker's Mentionables, where he critiques the NY Times and WaPo opinion sections, with occasional food and anime reviews

Inebriated Past, of course

Virgil interview podcast

Red Scare

Felix (dead)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

A Will podcast that is nothing but reading series should be classified as a public health hazard

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
a spinoff podcast where matt does the reading series weekly, every episode ends in a wellness check being done on him

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah any reading series series would have to include Matt

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Yang would be an interesting person to talk to, but that's about it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
The best that could be said about Yang is that his concern about the future did seem to be sincere. Which isn't nothing in Hellworld.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yang's book is terrible and you shouldn't read it but as someone dumb enough to have read it I can confirm he is pretty sincere in his worry about working class people in our looming techno-hell, he just has very dumb 'solutions' to this genuine concern of his. It's like how there are people who probably do very genuinely care for the safety of addicts and all, but their solution is 'so we need to make EVERYTHING you could get high on super illegal'.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Blood in blood out

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I remember them once stating that Amber and Virgil get a half-share each, and then Brendan has a share (and still does, as someone who was around from very nearly the start of the venture and all). Felix said he makes about 110k? I forget the exact amount. It was on a Michael Brooks Show appearance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

I remember them once stating that Amber and Virgil get a half-share each, and then Brendan has a share (and still does, as someone who was around from very nearly the start of the venture and all). Felix said he makes about 110k? I forget the exact amount. It was on a Michael Brooks Show appearance.

Oh wow no wonder they can't get Amber on very often

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Amber also still has the same career that she had before the podcast.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amber was getting sued for being mean recently too

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So was Will, it’s an occupational hazard

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

PostNouveau posted:

She and Virgil are co-hosts. They are not meant to be on all the episodes; each appear less than 50% of the time, I'd say Virgil far more than Amber, though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/grubstakerspod/status/1153153438752104448?s=21

I dunno if nick and Matt have ever been on together..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

https://twitter.com/grubstakerspod/status/1153153438752104448?s=21

I dunno if nick and Matt have ever been on together..?

well gently caress i 100% have to listen to that