Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Phy posted:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129551459

Russian hunter shoots tiger, steals part of its kill. Tiger stalks hunter, finds his home, destroys anything it can get to with his scent on it, and waits by his front door in ambush.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I’ve always been more of a snow leopard man, but the noble tiger is looking pretty good right now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

The unnerving part is the building layout.

Apparently the circle is a spiral staircase and the roof was locked. No wonder 33 people died.

Apparently he also waited outside and sprayed people with gasoline as they ran out through the flames.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Apparently he also waited outside and sprayed people with gasoline as they ran out through the flames.

That is definitely not a good thing to do to people. :smith:

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Phy posted:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129551459

Russian hunter shoots tiger, steals part of its kill. Tiger stalks hunter, finds his home, destroys anything it can get to with his scent on it, and waits by his front door in ambush.

the book this article is based on is absolutely incredible. highly recommended.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

That is definitely not a good thing to do to people. :smith:

Yeah, I'm starting to think this guy was up to no good.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone happen to have an archives link to "Love will be the death of us" by Ian MacKenzie?

It's a story of burning man, miscarriage, an infertile media influencer, a virile yoga instructor, and a divorce ceremony.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sestze posted:

Does anyone happen to have an archives link to "Love will be the death of us" by Ian MacKenzie?

It's a story of burning man, miscarriage, an infertile media influencer, a virile yoga instructor, and a divorce ceremony.

https://medium.com/@ianmack/love-will-be-the-death-of-us-7baa690dcd0

Boy oh boy it’s distracting how he writes like a hack when it comes to describing women

quote:

Less than a week later, we speak on the phone. Her voice is sultry — I suggest she could have been a radio host…or a phone sex operator. Her actual profession is computer programmer. She arrives at my door with the deafening rumble of her blue Harley Davidson roadster. Cue slow motion helmet removal. Cue long black hair tumbling down her shoulders.

Her green eyes are shining and vulnerable. Behind the flushed cheeks, I sense the legacy of past wounds. Her hesitant visage betrays a silent plea: don’t be another one that hurts me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't be another one that hurts me

wtf

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
OH GOD YES it’s another one of those stories where the guy wants desperately to cheat so he talks his wife into an open marriage and then she gets a much better life out of it than he does and he gets sad

I love those

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Busket Posket posted:

OH GOD YES it’s another one of those stories where the guy wants desperately to cheat so he talks his wife into an open marriage and then she gets a much better life out of it than he does and he gets sad

I love those

There aren't enough happy endings in this thread

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

The unnerving part is the building layout.

Apparently the circle is a spiral staircase and the roof was locked. No wonder 33 people died.

That is some straight-up Triangle Shirtwaist Factory poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can search discussions of him on the forums by his moniker, "Burning Man guy"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Two staircases seem plenty for a building that size, what am I missing? Does the "roof was locked" thing refer to the entire second staircase?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Busket Posket posted:

I love those

Always a delicious outcome, yeah.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Two staircases seem plenty for a building that size, what am I missing? Does the "roof was locked" thing refer to the entire second staircase?

If he's burning the entrance, he's sealed the escape route, there is no external fire escape from those plans except the roof

Oh and the fire goes right up the spiral staircase

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is gonna be the UpStairs Lounge attack for anime nerds.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is gonna be the UpStairs Lounge attack for anime nerds.

Or like the Pulse shootings for otaku / weaboo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

djssniper posted:

If he's burning the entrance, he's sealed the escape route, there is no external fire escape from those plans except the roof

Oh and the fire goes right up the spiral staircase

Yeah, in the US (Japan is not the US) that building plan would be flat-out illegal because there aren't two modes of exit. I suspect the same is true of the spiral staircase but I don't know. Nice built-in chimney ya got there, Clem.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah i assume it was a typo for nb

Indeed it was.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The really sad thing is that Kyoto Animation isn't the kind of skeezy animation studio most other anime production houses are. Its employees are salaried with benefits (as opposed to other outfits just hiring freelancers for poo poo pay), and its products are usually feel-good slice of life stuff with little to no fanservice. No studio deserves what happened to KyoAni, but them being hit seems like the unkindest cut of all.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

CommissarMega posted:

The really sad thing is that Kyoto Animation isn't the kind of skeezy animation studio most other anime production houses are. Its employees are salaried with benefits (as opposed to other outfits just hiring freelancers for poo poo pay), and its products are usually feel-good slice of life stuff with little to no fanservice. No studio deserves what happened to KyoAni, but them being hit seems like the unkindest cut of all.

I would bet money that the studio not producing gross fanservice and shows aimed at gross men jerking off to women and also sci-fi/fantasy is a large reason why they are the studio that was hit

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I would bet money that the studio not producing gross fanservice and shows aimed at gross men jerking off to women and also sci-fi/fantasy is a large reason why they are the studio that was hit

No.

"Police detained Mr Aoba on suspicion of setting fire to the building. Mr Aoba had allegedly accused the animation studio of plagiarising his novel."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49055468

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, just glancing at the list of their shows and stuff, seems like a pretty relaxed and lighthearted mix. :smith:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Busket Posket posted:

https://medium.com/@ianmack/love-will-be-the-death-of-us-7baa690dcd0

Boy oh boy it’s distracting how he writes like a hack when it comes to describing women
god bless

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
jesus christ, I know this is a story about mental illness, but I hope a side effect is Japan takes a look at worker safety, that building was a death trap

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ElGroucho posted:

jesus christ, I know this is a story about mental illness, but I hope a side effect is Japan takes a look at worker safety, that building was a death trap

I'm sure they'll have a team of people working 80+ hours a week for months to come up with a staggeringly detailed report that will result in absolutely no change.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
It’s from a century ago (May 2019), but UK’s Channel 5 had a great time normalizing grooming and pedophilia, with charming scenes of camping with cheery voiceover and Great British Bake-Off music:

https://twitter.com/channel5_tv/status/1132618639352377344?s=21

(The 44-year-old friend of a girl’s mom married her at 16, after “flirting” since she was 14, insisting it was all the girl’s idea. It’s presented as quirky ~Age Gap Love~ rather than ~where is the UK version of Chris Hansen~)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

It’s from a century ago (May 2019), but UK’s Channel 5 had a great time normalizing grooming and pedophilia, with charming scenes of camping with cheery voiceover and Great British Bake-Off music:

(The 44-year-old friend of a girl’s mom married her at 16, after “flirting” since she was 14, insisting it was all the girl’s idea. It’s presented as quirky ~Age Gap Love~ rather than ~where is the UK version of Chris Hansen~)

What the loving gently caress is this poo poo?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the loving gently caress is this poo poo?

I like how their hair and teeth match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Busket Posket posted:

:randno:

jesus loving christ

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If that is what british chuds look like I see why they named them after a type of ham

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The English, Germans, and Polish are very ham-looking people

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don’t think I’ve seen a more pedo-looking pedo in quite some time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Busket Posket posted:

Even pointing out that the age of consent in the UK is 16, it's still loving creepy. It would have been creepy as a whirlwind romance. "We have to wait until you're old enough" is something you say to the 14 year old when you're 18, not 42.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Something I've noticed is that native Scandinavians actually tan quite well.

Brits, and to a lesser extent people from Germany and the Low Countries...not so much. Lots of ruddy redneck types.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Jedit posted:

“We have to wait until you're old enough" is something you say to the 14 year old when you're 18, not 42.

Hmm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seniors don't date freshmen. loving loser.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree, ban anime club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

pretty sure 14 is still junior high, even. what could someone soon to be in college possibly have in common with someone who hasn't even entered high school yet? why would anyone want to do that if they weren't hosed in the head?