Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

The science is pretty nonsensical though. Even with that premise, humans are more closely related to ferns than to klingons

Ok you have science backing you for the fern part but pure speculation for the Klingon part

Sub out "we seeded biped sentient life" with "we seeded early single-cell life" and it would work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought the implication was they seeded the primordial soup of all those worlds with some kind of magic alien instructions to force evolution toward making intelligent humanoids.

It's still Star Trek science but I always liked that episode, particularly the way the non-Federations react to the message.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It has Gul Ocett who is 👍

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The Chase gave us this scene therefore it is good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

No! Star Trek has to be exactly like it was in the 90's, or else half of the people here will hate it.

This kind of remark is just senseless if you bother to read people's posts around here

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
This might be fun.

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-san-diego-comic-con-IDW-voyager-first-look

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Why is Mirror Tuvok there? He was canonically still in the Mirror Alpha Quadrant, as seen on that DS9 episode.

:colbert:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Why is Mirror Tuvok there? He was canonically still in the Mirror Alpha Quadrant, as seen on that DS9 episode.

:colbert:

This is his brother, Threevok.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Technowolf posted:

This is his brother, Threevok.

Heyyy, it's Threevok, coming to you live from the Capitol Wasteland!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

It has Gul Ocett who is 👍

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The last scene in "The Chase" is probably part of the DNA of the new Picard show. At least, the spirit of it - that Humans and Romulans - one day. One day.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 19, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Next Gen should have not told anymore Klingon stories after Worf got his honor back.

Klingon Jesus is okay though.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

These pictures of Picard with a dog that are being released are reminding me of old Bruce Wayne and his awesome dog.

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames
Cheers, goons

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m saying start the show with Geordi as CMO. “The doctor is blind” gives you all the same story opportunities, plus an excuse for him to say more than just “aye captain” and “coming about” every episode.

I know you are, I'm just saying why they used Geordi as they did

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not trying to be a pedant, but with these MU comics the TNG/VOY characters who are human would probably either be slaves or not exist since the Terran Empire was overtaken by the Alliance by this point

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Maybe it's an alternate Mirror Universe

because the DS9 Mirror Universe was fuckin' dumb and deserves to be retconned

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Drone posted:

Maybe it's an alternate Mirror Universe

because the DS9 Mirror Universe was fuckin' dumb and deserves to be retconned

The funniest thing about the DS9 Mirror Universe was how little the writers cared about the consistency.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fornax Disaster posted:

These pictures of Picard with a dog that are being released are reminding me of old Bruce Wayne and his awesome dog.

gently caress yes to everything about that

Unless it means Picard will be in a basement directing Captain Wesley Crusher through an earpiece as he infiltrates a Cardassian base

On second thought gently caress yes to that, too

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I can never get over how amazing her design is for showing off Cardassian standards of beauty.

Like, we see accentuation on the spoon, on the neck, and on the eye ridges, but she's also painted as like, a no-nonsense woman, and it's all just. gently caress, it's done so well, she's such a good character, DS9 is so loving good, gently caress, I need to do a rewatch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its weird though that in DS9 they made the whole cardassian military pretty much men-only with women as generally only wives and scientists but we had this establishing female cardassian Gul in TNG. I would have liked more fascist lady spoons. The little detail like their makeup was such a fantastic touch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The lady Kira replaces was an Obsidian Order agent. And in the episode where O’Brien gets tried for arming the Maquis, the Supreme Court Chief Justice was a woman.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Blind-guy-piloting-the-ship talk: seriously watch the original preview for TNG that was on the VHS for Star Trek IV. It's fukken great.

"Georgi: a blind man who pilots the ship! Also he's black, so there is that too."

I may be mis-remembering the last part but I definitely think the intention was there.

edit - It reminds me so much of the Futurama joke:

Futurama posted:

Spargle: You don't understand. Without the distraction of taste, your mind is free to touch the Zen of pure flavour. You could become the greatest chef ever.
Bender: I could?
Spargle: Yes. Just as Beethoven was a great composer because he was deaf!
Bender: Or like how Rembrandt was blind and had wooden hands!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

The lady Kira replaces was an Obsidian Order agent. And in the episode where O’Brien gets tried for arming the Maquis, the Supreme Court Chief Justice was a woman.

And Natima was a journalist. We also see another female OO agent in "The Defiant".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We see women, of course, but just not in the military-proper. Not guls and the like, not in military uniform.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The dog is all right, and all the answers show they're aware of the most common "sequelitis" concerns, so at this point it looks like it's being done right

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All that beige is really gonna pop in 4K :captainpop:

https://twitter.com/darendoc/status/1152253461343301632

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
NeonVisial just posted his 4k remake of the Star Trek Deep Space 9 intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUmm5mTehM

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 19, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Necrosaro posted:

NeonVisial just posted his 4k remake of Star Trek Deep Space 9 intro.

Nice. I don't have a 4k TV so I could only watch in 1440p but it was still glorious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Will they actually, like, release it or just sit on it for years like TWOK?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

:pray: theatrical re-release theatrical re-release....

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Necrosaro posted:

NeonVisial just posted his 4k remake of the Star Trek Deep Space 9 intro.

He does fine work for something that could belong in a PS4 game, but I don't know if I find this very convincing otherwise. The movement feels off, something I noticed with the weird looking asteroid at the start.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It needs to be 24 fps, none of this added frame bullcrap

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The comet looks ridiculous.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The lighting doesn't look right, everything is too bright. The welding torches are distracting. I mean its impressive for a lone dude making it, but the original looks better even with the late 90s CG.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Terry Farrell as Ezri Dax lmbo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Golden Gael posted:

He does fine work for something that could belong in a PS4 game, but I don't know if I find this very convincing otherwise. The movement feels off, something I noticed with the weird looking asteroid at the start.

Yeah the way the Defiant swoops in from behind the pylon looks extremely off

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I wasn't going to say anything because I thought it might be my cheapo phone, but yeah the whole thing really looks... well, not real.

Not to say it doesn't look good, but it looks video game good.

E: lol yeah the Defiant emerging looks like badly done practical FX. Actually it looks a lot like this:

https://youtu.be/9hseFdKcCD4?t=0m12s

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I imagine a 4K version of Babylon 5 would look something like that.

It's good, but a lot of the lighting seems off to me and the camera work in combination with the sky-box looks really static and weird right after the comet. There is a distinct video-game quality to it all.