Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just submitted my first jam level:

Baby Driver
FXN-W0H-8QF

I was going to name it "Child's Play," but I figured lots of other people would do that. I tried to follow a few simple design principles based on the idea that the level is for kids:

1. Easy and short, but it shouldn't be totally safe or else it won't be interesting.
2. No pits or other instant death mechanics of any kind.
3. No difficult enemies -- the hardest thing in here is a spiny as kind of a "boss." You don't have to kill it, though, or anything else in this level.
4. Should have secrets, but they should be easy to find, and the rewards should be borderline excessive. Finding big rewards is exciting for kids.
5. The failure state for not making a jump should never be death or even injury; it can just be not getting a reward.

It's possible this is still too easy, I dunno. But given the theme I'd rather err on the side of too easy than too hard.

EDIT: I already have a comment on it, and that comment is "wow a level i can actually complete!" So... mission accomplished?

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

DorianGravy posted:

Yeah, this is extremely difficult. It requires very quick action through a lot of deadly obstacles. I gave it about 15 lives, and the farthest I got was just past the first icicles. I guess I was supposed to jump on that flying Koopa, kick a shell into an on/off switch, and then drop down a hole. But I didn't do that, so I got stuck. The level seems well designed, so maybe people who like hard levels will like it, but I really can't offer much feedback. Whenever you have a lot of precise, rapid-paced challenges in a level that will kill you if you mess up even once, don't expect a high clear rate. But hey, maybe that's what you want!

Thanks for giving it a try!

Yeah I wanted it to be difficult but not extremely so, so I definitely overshot. As far as I know, expert is about 10% clear rate, so I was aiming for it to take up to 10 lives for someone used to that sort of level.

FWIW this is also the first level I've made, so I do really appreciate the criticism. Should make future levels a lot better!

ryde fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2019

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Here's something I've been working on. Any suggestions before I add it to the spreadsheet?

Portobello Pyramid
TJ1-4YN-K1H

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Here's something I've been working on. Any suggestions before I add it to the spreadsheet?

Portobello Pyramid
TJ1-4YN-K1H

Not a big fan of the smaller thwomp right before the bigger thwomp but that's just me running past it on the first read and not dealing with it again.

But otherwise a good level! It's themed really nice!

I made this right before lunch after a meeting today:

Boo Chase

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm sure somebody's made this joke already but anyway here's Starship Troopas: P2T-RWS-YHF

It's a space-themed autoscroll/bossfight level. I had a bit of a hard time finding good checkpoint placements and pacing the scrolling/non-scrolling sections, so any feedback is appreciated if you can check it out!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Captain Planet: The Power is Yours
393-Q8S-JNG

In a blasted land one person must revive the elements of earth, fire, wind, water and heart to summon Captain Planet, defeat the polluters, and save the environment.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Can someone please remake as much of SMW in this as they can and then load all of those levels onto my Switch for me? Thank you in advance

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone please remake as much of SMW in this as they can and then load all of those levels onto my Switch for me? Thank you in advance

Honestly, you can't accurately recreate the majority of Super Mario World with Mario Maker assets because there are so many gimmicks they used once or twice that didn't make the cut. The sheet variety is probably my favorite thing about the game.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Sorry about popping in once in a blue moon at complete random to pick a code to respond to out of a hat, I just don't get much time to play this game.

ryde posted:

I mentioned my level before but didn't post the code. Here it is:

Companion Platform

VP9-WH7-BQG

You have to keep up with a falling platform and use it to progress. I was aiming for an expert-level difficulty but the clear rate is hovering around 1.5% so I think I messed up.

Take any criticism or suggestion from a making perspective with a grain of salt since I've only made one level in this (or anything, ever) myself, but here's my overall thoughts after clearing yours.

This level really sings in the ideas department but the design execution is pretty rough. When you're trying to create a rapid-fire linear speedrunning course like this where every second is a new action and there's no downtime, it exponentiates the amount of playtesting you need to do as a creator to ensure consistency, reliable reaction time buffer, and proper signposting, and not necessarily straightforward playtesting either. If you're following the intended throughline as the developer that you've concocted, memorized, and practiced, it doesn't matter if you play it 10 times or 100 times if you keep to that line. You need to intentionally alter your timing, your movement, your positioning, and so on. This will reveal cracks in the setups you've prepared you never realized were there but which are incredibly likely for a blind player to run into as they burn attempts.

Some examples of this level's issues are:

• Thrown shells in this game have variable speed depending on how fast (or if) Mario was moving upon release. This leads to problems when you're relying on a shell following a long track before triggering what it's intended to trigger. For the first buzzy beetle shell throw, this can lead to the icicles being smashed against the red blocks regardless of how quick on the draw you were getting to shell and throwing it. Later in the level the same problem crops up with the koopa shell you toss into the tunnel to trigger an ON/OFF. If you happened to release it at a slower speed, you'll be too late to proceed with the level even if you got there expediently early.

• Vertical sections are really tricky to design around. Everything within the standard horizontal loading range is loaded in instantly when you enter the area, to an infinite vertical range. This means you need to be extremely careful about enemy placement. This causes big problems with the 3 spinies on a slope you're meant to slide into. In conjunction with the variable shell throw speed while you're on a protracted timer waiting for the blocks to drop you, this creates a really unreliable state for the spinies which can sometimes be directly below you as the blocks release, meaning your only option is to time a spin jump as the blocks turn off and work left until you can proceed. I presume this is unintentional and it's unlikely to provide you enough time for the next obstacle before the platform descends to the spikes.

• Relatedly, if you're designing a vertical speedrun, it significantly complicates providing fair windows to assess and execute what's expected of you as a player, especially in a level centered around descent. The nature of the camera means new obstacles are visible to the player much closer to encounter than a horizontal section allows. As it stands, a significant chunk of your stage mandates trial and error. Now learning by death even at a hazard-by-hazard frequency is not an issue in any fundamental sense, and especially not for a short, intense stage targeting this kind of design and audience, but what you should never lose is the potential for a theoretical perfect blind run. In this stage, you have to remember that the player doesn't have the foresight you do because they haven't seen behind the curtains. When they follow a coin trail down to an unknown destination, they aren't thinking they need to be holding jump to bounce on an enemy's head. They could be threading the needle to land on a small bit of terrain. They can't know until they see it, and there is nowhere close to enough time to assess and execute that situation and solution in the nearly instantaneous time between seeing the koopa and landing on it. This feeds through many of the stage's setpieces, and is compounded by...

• Your signposting and room for tangential error need some work. You've got an open-ended sign for the upward throw of the koopa shell but a completely closed one for throwing it to the left. A single tile-width line of coins is going to lead many players to trigger only 1 of 3 icicles in their aiming, needlessly constraining the maneuver they're going to be asked to pull off later in the level. You've got a line of coins leading into a leap of faith that winds up being a saw you need to be holding jump into before immediately hanging right to get enough momentum off the angle to perform the subsequent actions with the requisite speed. The non-linear, delayed nature of many of the level's setups and payoffs, such as the icicle chase, mean more attention needs to be paid to general guidance and suggestion. A player isn't going to necessarily intuit what a chain of events they've set in motion is going to result in and require a response to 15 seconds down the road without a bit more hinting. What I mean by tangential error is generosity toward imprecision that doesn't relate to the point of a successful action. A good example would be when you need to tongue a shell through a wall with Yoshi. There should really be a 3-enemy stack there, because a player that properly read the situation and acted quickly enough perform the solution shouldn't be punished by having Yoshi's tongue miss both shells by threading between them, because that's besides the point. They already passed the test you cared about them passing.

There are other individual examples of these broader points but I feel like they get the general flaws of your design across. I didn't exhaust commentary on the flow and satisfaction of a successful run or how creative and fun the setpieces were because to be frank you straightforwardly nailed all of that. It's a really well-conceptualized level with some novice design flubs and a want for more time in the oven. I imagine you can make something bulletproof in this style going forward.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to change your like/dislike of a level?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Forktoss posted:

I'm sure somebody's made this joke already but anyway here's Starship Troopas: P2T-RWS-YHF

It's a space-themed autoscroll/bossfight level. I had a bit of a hard time finding good checkpoint placements and pacing the scrolling/non-scrolling sections, so any feedback is appreciated if you can check it out!

I liked this a lot, I have fond memories of the space levels from Super Mario Land 2 so this design really works for me. The ? block placements are really nice and so are the sub-world bonus rooms. Pace of scrolling is good. Weirdly the boss fight took me several tries but it was nice to have a boss fight that wasn't totally paint by numbers.

Wendell posted:

393-Q8S-JNG

In a blasted land one person must revive the elements of earth, fire, wind, water and heart to summon Captain Planet, defeat the polluters, and save the environment.

This was fun, I like the execution of the theme. Is this a jam level? It was pretty easy. I really like how you marked each of the "element" areas.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Huxley posted:

Is there any way to change your like/dislike of a level?

Nope. You are locked in with whatever you hit first. Sucks because I’ve accidentally hit the wrong one a few times.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'd really appreciate some feedback on this one before I add it to the spreadsheet. I don't normally do this kind of theme, so I'd like to know how it worked out. It's a 3D Land stage.

The Good Level
C1R 3N2 6HF

Welcome! Everything is fine. This is The Good Level, where nothing bad ever happens. You can just relax and be happy here.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Made this level last night!

Title: Briny Dunes
Code: PQ9-BF5-KJG
Description: This dried up desert was once a thriving ocean lagoon.
Difficulty: Easy/Normal

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Asema posted:

Not a big fan of the smaller thwomp right before the bigger thwomp but that's just me running past it on the first read and not dealing with it again.

The idea with the small one was to make the player slow down before accidentally running right into the big one.

Glad you liked the rest of the level, though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a pretty ignorant question to ask - I bought this game despite actively disliking platformers and not caring about mario because I like making levels and using level editors creatively but I'm running into a roadblock with trying to create rewards for optional challenges in my levels. I feel like coins are a disappointment, mushrooms/fire flowers/tails/whatever seem like bad ideas for an optional challenge because if the challenge is optional I can't design core level mechanics around its reward, and I don't have any comprehension of anything else I could use in their place besides 1-ups, which feels fruitless again because then I have to not include any danger in the optional challenge to prevent people from feeling like they risked their life just to gain an extra life.

Is this just not the right game to add optional challenges to? I remember in the SNES mario you could sometimes do things that would unlock other levels/paths through the world map entirely but I have nothing like that to work with here.

Can anyone recommend levels with optional challenges in them that feel rewarding to solve?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a pretty ignorant question to ask - I bought this game despite actively disliking platformers and not caring about mario because I like making levels and using level editors creatively but I'm running into a roadblock with trying to create rewards for optional challenges in my levels. I feel like coins are a disappointment, mushrooms/fire flowers/tails/whatever seem like bad ideas for an optional challenge because if the challenge is optional I can't design core level mechanics around its reward, and I don't have any comprehension of anything else I could use in their place besides 1-ups, which feels fruitless again because then I have to not include any danger in the optional challenge to prevent people from feeling like they risked their life just to gain an extra life.

Is this just not the right game to add optional challenges to? I remember in the SNES mario you could sometimes do things that would unlock other levels/paths through the world map entirely but I have nothing like that to work with here.

Can anyone recommend levels with optional challenges in them that feel rewarding to solve?

As someone who is working their way through Endless mode, coins and 1ups are actually a very meaningful reward. My favorite levels always have thoughtfully placed coins and 1ups, they show some actual care and consideration towards the player and it really sets them apart from the absolute trash pile of most other levels. As far as challenges that aren't necessarily dangerous, I like when a creator puts a reward somewhere where it feels like you weren't supposed to go. For example, putting an invisible block somewhere that lets you jump where you normally wouldn't be able to reach and putting a life or a big coin up there.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

i can only speak for myself but finding my way into an out of the way area and having that acknowledged by the dev, whether it's a giant coin or a 1-up or a power-up, feels rewarding enough on its own. otoh i think it's really deflating to oops your way somewhere weird and then not find anything at all

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I just got the sweetest comment. :3:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How do you pick up other players in vs?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spacebump posted:

How do you pick up other players in vs?

Hold forward and the spin jump button I think.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Added a new level, Adventures in Aquaponics - C70-BB4-HGF. Was inspired by the idea that a goon had earlier for a fish farm themed level, though I went out of my way not to play that one so I wouldn't necessarily be influenced by it. I should go back and play it now that I've posted this one. Level is meant to be moderate difficulty.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Added a new level, Adventures in Aquaponics - C70-BB4-HGF. Was inspired by the idea that a goon had earlier for a fish farm themed level, though I went out of my way not to play that one so I wouldn't necessarily be influenced by it. I should go back and play it now that I've posted this one. Level is meant to be moderate difficulty.

I liked it. It's a cool theme and you put it together well. Plenty of powerups to offset plenty of enemies. Fish in a box, though? Rude :mad:

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Thunderhead Hill - 5S4-KTQ-KKF Not sure how much I like that title but oh well.

Toy Tower Trouble - 8N9-53P-NYG Everyone's making racecourses with the Koopa Truck but nobody's making regular levels with them. So here's this.

Spooky Shack - 2P7-T0K-9YG A good ol'-fashioned ghost house.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Something short and simple, as long as you can read directions and process color:

Hold on Green - Rainbow Ride
5SQ-N0H-WVG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
You all know what time it is. Time for our third course blitz!
Try to make and upload a course all in two hours or less:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1152379225384660992

There are a number of interesting directions to go with this one, I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

guppy posted:

This was fun, I like the execution of the theme. Is this a jam level? It was pretty easy. I really like how you marked each of the "element" areas.

Ha, I just wanted to make a level that could be beaten by anyone, I didn’t even consider the jam! But you’re right, it fits it well. It’s even based on a children’s show! How funny.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I liked it. It's a cool theme and you put it together well. Plenty of powerups to offset plenty of enemies. Fish in a box, though? Rude :mad:

Heh, I actually forgot about that when I posted it. I should have checked that it wasn't too far away from a check point. Thanks for playing!

Wendell posted:

393-Q8S-JNG

I love this level and I'm really enjoying going through your other levels as well. The He-Man and Mario Remembers levels in particular really blew me away. Have to break for supper but will try the rest of them later.

EDIT - My wife just saw the screen shot and theme for the Captain Planet level and was totally blown away, and she hasn't even seen the level yet!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Thunderhead Hill - 5S4-KTQ-KKF Not sure how much I like that title but oh well.

Toy Tower Trouble - 8N9-53P-NYG Everyone's making racecourses with the Koopa Truck but nobody's making regular levels with them. So here's this.

Spooky Shack - 2P7-T0K-9YG A good ol'-fashioned ghost house.

I don't really have anything specific to add, but these were all good levels. Very consistent feel and difficulty, solid designs.

I also appreciate the car being used without the expectation that I drive it through a bunch of garbage, they are much more interesting as enemies.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

There are a number of interesting directions to go with this one, I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

Oh dear. I'm going to have fun with this one. Let me start thinking.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here's a fun tip that I made a level around in SMM1. Yoshi can eat hammers and then spit them back in the same arc as a hammer bro.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Heh, I actually forgot about that when I posted it. I should have checked that it wasn't too far away from a check point. Thanks for playing!

I love this level and I'm really enjoying going through your other levels as well. The He-Man and Mario Remembers levels in particular really blew me away. Have to break for supper but will try the rest of them later.

EDIT - My wife just saw the screen shot and theme for the Captain Planet level and was totally blown away, and she hasn't even seen the level yet!

You and your wife are giving me life! Thank you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cactrot posted:

DalaranJ, I updated one of my levels, Descent into the Thwomp cistern and it's got a new code, can you update the sheet with P4L-M3J-DWG?

it fixes a potential way to block your own progress and also fixes some unfair blind Thwomps.

Oh, just fixed this one, sorry.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Even though I said I was never going back to the microlevel well, well I made a microlevel

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1152393389268013056

Also I tried adding it to the spreadsheet twice and despite saying it was added I didn't see it get put on the bottom of the list.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nevermind, it finally updated, I guess just delete one from the list.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

is it wrong to be more excited for blitzes than I am for jams

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

My fist Blitz level! I hope I did it right! It took about an hour.

Blitz: The Cannon-Hop Bop
PSQ-0FR-7YG

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/storemancer/status/1152433885298343936?s=19

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I turned the game on just to see any new notifications and uh

Excuse me, what the hell did I miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I turned the game on just to see any new notifications and uh

Excuse me, what the hell did I miss?

Maybe a big streamer played it and liked it?