Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
tit ex kinda chews through pubs. go with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unhappy Meal posted:

Today in the world of end of the week Eden Runs. A foul mouthed WAR doing 1,200 DPS, and blaming everyone else for sucking.

I had a prima donna tank that sat back and refused to tank E3 because someone else did a countdown and pulled it, so we reset, waited for an entire minute until they did their own full ready check and countdown, and then had to reset again when they and the other tank both instantly ate poo poo to the spout mechanic.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I'm getting into Stormblood post content but boy the story irritates me
This murderous traitor just victim of circumstance and actually good, maybe the violent oppressed are actually bad??
gently caress off game, guillotine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is this still true pre-Umbral Hearts?

I seem to remember my AoE rotation at the end of Heavensward looking like this: Fire 3, Fire 2, Fire 2, Flare, Transpose, Fire 3, Fire 2, Flare, Transpose, Fire, Fire 2, Flare, Transpose... basically, you'd never cast an ice spell, and just use Fire 3's long cast time to get back just enough mp to be able to either Fire 2->Flare or just Flare before transposing again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

This murderous traitor just victim of circumstance and actually good, maybe the violent oppressed are actually bad??

That isn't really what it is saying.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What is it saying then?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ImpAtom posted:

You have to admit that whole arc could have been handled better

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

this is the most comms ive ever gotten in one go

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

singateco posted:

What is it saying then?
Both of those arcs are saying that Fordola and Yotsuyu did horrible things but did not just one day get up, put on their top hat and monocle, say "YES, THE AETHER OF INTERNATIONAL CAPITALISM SUFFUSES ME!" and proceed to eat the peasantry. They were influenced by their situation. And yet, they were also not compelled. (Gotetsu mentions during the pre-steppe stuff that Yotsuyu actually was spying for Doma for a while... until she went with the Garleans instead.)

Fordola to some extent addresses the issue Ala Mhigo will have going forwards, as many long-occupied nations would, of "what do you do with the people who collaborated with the occupier?"

I think FFXIV tends to generally hit the goal of "you can understand the villain but they're still a bad guy." Fordola seems to have become Arenvald's battle buddy due to her Tempering immunity and presumably she will keep fighting incarnations of Ifrit and Garuda until one of them kills her.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

singateco posted:

The entire point of showing that moment in Fordola's past is to illustrate that Ala Mhigo, like every imperial conquest in the real world, was intentionally kept internally divided by favoring certain groups over others in order to dampen resistance to their conquerors. Like most of Stormblood, it shows that imperial projects warp and corrupt a society from root to branch, and that repairing the damage and moving forwards isn't a simple matter of getting rid of "bad people."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

What is it saying then?

At no point does the game ever say that she is good, right or excusable. Instead it points out that she also is the victim of the system abuses of the Doman society. She was a traitor because she was from a society that dehumanized and abused her and thus had no loyalty to it. The game never goes "and that means she was good" but instead focused on the fact that she is pitiable because she lived a life of nothing but neglect and abuse from everyone around her and lashed out at the world in response. Everyone, including herself, admits that she is a terrible person and in the wrong.

Edit: Recall that Gotetsu has sympathy for her because he ALSO did horrifyingly awful things during the war.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 20, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

How do I escape the horrible purgatory with an EX trial where I know the first like 75% of the fight like the back of my hand, but because I've never had a party that could clear it, I keep having to join learning parties and starting from scratch every time, and the party always disbands before we get anywhere

Normally I'd just say "gently caress it I don't need to clear Titania EX that badly" but the problem is I know I can do it, and that makes me stubborn. But goddamn it if I have to deal with one more group like the four I tried tonight I'm gonna drink until I forget FFXIV even exists.

I usually kill a half hour to 45 minutes a night joining designated clear parties, and they're probably 75% successful. And for Titania, once you know past the adds, her last trick is the water rune/phantom rune combo at the start of the last phase. Once that's down I'd say start looking at clear groups.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Harrow posted:

How do I escape the horrible purgatory with an EX trial where I know the first like 75% of the fight like the back of my hand, but because I've never had a party that could clear it, I keep having to join learning parties and starting from scratch every time, and the party always disbands before we get anywhere

Normally I'd just say "gently caress it I don't need to clear Titania EX that badly" but the problem is I know I can do it, and that makes me stubborn. But goddamn it if I have to deal with one more group like the four I tried tonight I'm gonna drink until I forget FFXIV even exists.

Find a chill group?

Like, I guess I’ve gotten lucky but all I’ve done was join PF groups. First was a practice group and by the end I think we eventually got it down, or it might have been a group after, but I got one or two kills that night. Then this week I did another PF group that specifically said wasn’t a farm party but just wanted to chill and practice the fight a little more with people who already cleared. We wiped 3-4 times but once we found our rhythm we had no more wipes.

It’s really not that hard. Setup clear specific goals of who goes where. I find it helps to setup some things like marking the main tank with a square or something because during add phase when knockback happens its super easy as DPS to go “he’s there so I need to be opposite end of puddle”

If you know the fight try putting together a group specifically for clearing and dictating the strategy being used.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a friend who swears PFs are better Saturday mornings, because the only people playing at that hour are the real devoted players

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Fordola and Yotsuyu are also great to contrast.

Yotsuyu HATES Doma for what it did to her and rules it with an iron fist for petty revenge. Meanwhile, Fordola hates how the people behaved to her but still fought for them, just in a way that assumed giving up freedom to Garlemald would eventually make things better.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Vermain posted:

The entire point of showing that moment in Fordola's past is to illustrate that Ala Mhigo, like every imperial conquest in the real world, was intentionally kept internally divided by favoring certain groups over others in order to dampen resistance to their conquerors. Like most of Stormblood, it shows that imperial projects warp and corrupt a society from root to branch, and that repairing the damage and moving forwards isn't a simple matter of getting rid of "bad people."

ImpAtom posted:

At no point does the game ever say that she is good, right or excusable. Instead it points out that she also is the victim of the system abuses of the Doman society. She was a traitor because she was from a society that dehumanized and abused her and thus had no loyalty to it. The game never goes "and that means she was good" but instead focused on the fact that she is pitiable because she lived a life of nothing but neglect and abuse from everyone around her and lashed out at the world in response. Everyone, including herself, admits that she is a terrible person and in the wrong.

No, she could've realized what her parent's deaths meant, and you know, not choose to murder and oppress people. Portraying her as 'victim of the system' is wrong. Would you also portray Nazi officers as 'victim of the system'? She was an active aggressor and she need to be hanged. It's an incredibly bad look for a game that has a fantasy nation with Japanese aesthetic as oppressed nation.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

She also spends much of the the time not remembering and not capable of understanding what she did, so by Hien's reasoning unable to answer for her crimes, up until like 10 minutes before she died

Also its fantasy Manchuria that's oppressed, fantasy Japan in Hingashi and it sucks poo poo. Either way I think you're massively misreading the story if you think it somehow excuses Imperial Japanese war crimes instead of being extremely critical of them by way of the fantasy empire that is largely doing the same poo poo that Japan did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's impossible to separate the depiction from our own speculation on the context w/r/t Japan's oft messed-up WW2 politics. I think without some interviews of the writers or something to go on there's no way this doesn't go in circles.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

homeless snail posted:

She also spends much of the the time not remembering and not capable of understanding what she did, so by Hien's reasoning unable to answer for her crimes, up until like 10 minutes before she died

Also its fantasy Manchuria that's oppressed, fantasy Japan in Hingashi and it sucks poo poo. Either way I think you're massively misreading the story if you think it somehow excuses Imperial Japanese war crimes instead of being extremely critical of them by way of the fantasy empire that is largely doing the same poo poo that Japan did.

Fantasy Manchria with somehow Japanese names, and samurai and ninjas. Whatever. I think the writers are using imperialism as aesthetic more than criticizing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

No, she could've realized what her parent's deaths meant, and you know, not choose to murder and oppress people. Portraying her as 'victim of the system' is wrong. Would you also portray Nazi officers as 'victim of the system'? She was an active aggressor and she need to be hanged. It's an incredibly bad look for a game that has a fantasy nation with Japanese aesthetic as oppressed nation.

So you're saying that people who are abused and hurt by the rich and powerful should not actually do anything violent in response but also they should guillotine the rich.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

So you're saying that people who are abused and hurt by the rich and powerful should not actually do anything violent in response but also they should guillotine the rich.

Yeah they should not loving join the rich and powerful you dumbass

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

Yeah they should not loving join the rich and powerful you dumbass

What precisely do you think happens after successful rebellions and coups?

Edit: Like yes, in an ideal world, people who are abused would not turn around and abuse others in response. This is also not something that really happens.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 20, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the real trick to getting through the bad pubbie purgatory is to see enrage so many times it drives you mad and then bug a friend into setting up a "clear for one" party for you

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

yotsuyu is a good character

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What precisely do you think happens after successful rebellions and coups?

Have a goddamn election
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_South_Korean_presidential_election

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

UHD posted:

yotsuyu is a good character

Before she died the first time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, you mean the election where right afterwards the winner started arresting and killing his political rivals?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, you mean the election where right afterwords the winner started arresting and killing his political rivals?

Yeah that's why it's better to stay in empire and not rebel?
What the gently caress are you talking about?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

singateco posted:

The lady who was sold into sex slavery to pay off her husband's debts is definitely a victim. This does not exculpate her.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just tried out new Astro and so far the most frustrating thing about it is that I keep playing cards a second before combat starts and not getting a seal out of it.

I also left its Anima weapon questline unfinished for months, and might try it again. Does light grinding go any faster these days, and is it still limited to content in the expansion it was initially made for? Can you do it unsynced?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Solitair posted:

Just tried out new Astro and so far the most frustrating thing about it is that I keep playing cards a second before combat starts and not getting a seal out of it.

I also left its Anima weapon questline unfinished for months, and might try it again. Does light grinding go any faster these days, and is it still limited to content in the expansion it was initially made for? Can you do it unsynced?

It's still limited to HW content, but you can just blast through Alexander unsynced for it. Doesn't take terribly much time at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

Yeah that's why it's better to stay in empire and not rebel?
What the gently caress are you talking about?

I don't think you actually know what you're talking about at this point to be honest? Like you keep changing your argument to the point I literally can't figure out what you're arguing now.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

Stop joining learning parties. You know the fight, you don't need to learn anymore. The remaining 25% you almost certainly will do fine on your first try, assuming you've watched a video or video(s). Recognize your knowledge and your worth as a player and join (or make) a clear party.

Also, don't hesitate to remove players if they're clearly dead weight, or leave a bad group yourself if it's clear they won't be able to accomplish the group's stated goal (clearing). These people will never see you again, and will forget about you in an hour or less, regardless of how friendly or silent you are. Be a bit ruthless with your pugging and you'll benefit in time and sanity.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I thought both the stuff with Yotsuyu was basically about the fact most monsters aren't born that way, their circumstances have a large part in creating them. It doesn't me that Yotsuyu isn't horrible and doesn't deserve punishment, only that she didn't have to turn out that way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kwyndig posted:

You have to admit that whole arc could have been handled better

Unfortunately that'd require more time than would be feasible for what we had to work with. It's another symptom of the story split between Ala Mhigo and Doma and you can't really do it better (while keeping the plot beats the same) without shuffling around what needed to be done.

I mean, as is IMO Fordola came out the better of the two of them.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think you actually know what you're talking about at this point to be honest? Like you keep changing your argument to the point I literally can't figure out what you're arguing now.

Same, but your posts.

ImpAtom posted:

I was not saying this. There was some leap of logic there where I said Fordola had other choices than oppress her people, yet you took it as I said she should've not done anything.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Cabbit posted:

It's still limited to HW content, but you can just blast through Alexander unsynced for it. Doesn't take terribly much time at all.

That's at 80, right? I only have Astro, the job I'm at this phase for, at 70 right now, so if necessary I can either level that job or table it and do Relic stuff on other jobs. They're all at the book phase, unfortunately, but getting legendary weapons is the only thing I really want to spend my poetics on at the moment.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can do Alexander synced at 70, you just need a party. Put one up in PF and it should still get filled relatively quickly.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Solitair posted:

That's at 80, right? I only have Astro, the job I'm at this phase for, at 70 right now, so if necessary I can either level that job or table it and do Relic stuff on other jobs. They're all at the book phase, unfortunately, but getting legendary weapons is the only thing I really want to spend my poetics on at the moment.

No, unsynced 70 is fine. That's how I did it. You'll need a group for it, but a group of level 70+ people will smash just about anything short of Alexander himself without any effort or coordination-- especially now that everyone's gonna be in 380+ gear by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

singateco posted:

Same, but your posts.

I was not saying this. There was some leap of logic there where I said Fordola had other choices than oppress her people, yet you took it as I said she should've not done anything.

Oh, I appear to have misunderstood and thought you were talking about Yotsuyu?

Honestly Fordola is an entirely different story. You have to remember that Ala Mhigo was a shithole *before* the Garleans showed up. They were aggressive (they tried to invade Gridania within living memory) and prior to the Garlean invasion they were in the middle of a literal civil war where the leader was literally named Mad King Theodoric. Fordola was a child when the Garlean invasion happened but (and this is a point the game makes), she had no reason to be particularly loyal to the Ala Mhigan way. You say she had other choices but even if she rebelled what was she rebelling for? A vague ideal of "my nation" that has never truly existed in her living memory?

This is a genuine issue with long-term invasions and conquests. After a certain point there is a generation who doesn't view the time from before as 'their people' because they never grew up knowing anything else. Fordola admits that she thought becoming a Garlean citizen was a better choice for her people than continuing to hold onto a society and culture she isn't connected to. You can say she was wrong but that isn't the same thing.