Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just watch Slickdeals and Cheapassgamer for deals on games and buy from there. I've gotten so many of the recent major releases for $42 at launch with free shipping just watching for deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Back to the drawing board.
Barudak just really hates the game. It's a good JRPG!

It's pretty oldschool so whether you'll enjoy it probably depends on how well you're able to enjoy the old SNES JRPGs since there will be a lot of walking, talking and random battles. Don't expect an overarching huge "save the world" plot, instead it focuses on 8 smaller, more personal quests ranging from Primrose's quest to get revenge on the people who killer her father to Alfyn's quest to be a good boy (he's a very good boy). The combat and job system borrows some from the Bravely games but falls a bit short imo, though it's still a lot of fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Octopath traveler is ok

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dehry posted:

I just watch Slickdeals and Cheapassgamer for deals on games and buy from there. I've gotten so many of the recent major releases for $42 at launch with free shipping just watching for deals.
Like what?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
octopath traveler didn't even try

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Octopath Traveller is a fine game that just makes a few really unfortunate decisions about it's endgame. It's a good and breezy playthrough when it comes to playing through a few of the character stories but by the time you've done all 8 you're just going through the motions, yet the gap between what you need to clear the character stories and what you need to be at to have a realistic chance at the true final boss is massive and there's just a gigantic lack of anything meaningful to bridge the gap. It's another of those jRPG things where Octopath is a really good forty hour game that unfortunately takes 70 to see everything it has to show you.

The right way to play the game is probably to pick up all 8 characters, finish the stories you like, and move on to something else before Octopath wears out it's goodwill.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Octopath traveller is one of the most boring games i can recall

It's good but not full price good. That said I enjoyed it and it's a bit like Smash where you should treat it like a sixty Euro CD with a free game included. It's criminal the game didn't come with a sound test or something.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mario Maker 2
Super Mario U Deluxe
Let's Go Eevee
Fire Emblem Warriors ($20)

All but Warriors were import EU versions but they all were able to be claimed for gold coins on the NA shop so the only difference is the regulatory label. Most have been coupon codes for a site called Mass Genie but they usually have a deal go up just prior to launch.

On an unrelated note, it appears Umihara Kawase Fresh has a different cover variant for the limited edition besides the Super Famicom replica box. The Switch game box has a different internal artwork.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's good but not full price good. That said I enjoyed it and it's a bit like Smash where you should treat it like a sixty Euro CD with a free game included. It's criminal the game didn't come with a sound test or something.
oh yeah, I forgot to mention how dang good the music is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnN1m5L17I

Mr. Locke posted:

The right way to play the game is probably to pick up all 8 characters, finish the stories you like, and move on to something else before Octopath wears out it's goodwill.
a good tip for any game imo, there's no point in keeping to play a game you're not finding fun anymore

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

As a counterpoint, the True Final Boss of Octopath was my favorite part of the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Xalidur posted:

As a counterpoint, the True Final Boss of Octopath was my favorite part of the game.

Oh, the final boss fight is really good. But the gulf between finishing the last Chapter 4 that is actually a fun gameplay experience (after like the third you just wind up steamrolling the rest) and getting to the True Final Boss with a team capable of handling is like five hours of plot cleanup then fifteen-plus hours of grinding and the running the most filler of filler content. It was not worth the cost of time it took to get there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh, the final boss fight is really good. But the gulf between finishing the last Chapter 4 that is actually a fun gameplay experience (after like the third you just wind up steamrolling the rest) and getting to the True Final Boss with a team capable of handling is like five hours of plot cleanup then fifteen-plus hours of grinding and the running the most filler of filler content. It was not worth the cost of time it took to get there.

I think it's one of those games that really needs an EX/Remaster version to actually polish it into something good like Bravely Default had. Or Odin Sphere.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's one of those games that really needs an EX/Remaster version to actually polish it into something good like Bravely Default had. Or Odin Sphere.

even just adding the QOL features from Bravely would go a long way. I'm still mad that they figured that stuff out so perfectly and then brought over none of it (yeah I know, different dev team)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm really disappointed in MUA3 so far. The writing's trash (I expected a poor excuse for a plot, but the dialogue should've been better) and the roster seems kind of mechanically boring so far? I mean, this is probably rose-tinted glasses, but I just remember the old games in the series being a lot better than this. Am I just wrong? I haven't played terribly far yet, just got through the Raft, so maybe it picks up?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Locke posted:

Octopath Traveller is a fine game that just makes a few really unfortunate decisions about it's endgame.
Are there any recent Square Enix games that don't have an unfortunate endgame?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Waffle! posted:

I wish there were more options for sharing clips besides Facebook / Twitter.

sending via irda by using the right joycon, imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Are there any recent Square Enix games that don't have an unfortunate endgame?

DQ Builders 2 :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/2569631

Upcoming bloodstained patch has zero performance updates :nexus:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Woebin posted:

I'm really disappointed in MUA3 so far. The writing's trash (I expected a poor excuse for a plot, but the dialogue should've been better) and the roster seems kind of mechanically boring so far? I mean, this is probably rose-tinted glasses, but I just remember the old games in the series being a lot better than this. Am I just wrong? I haven't played terribly far yet, just got through the Raft, so maybe it picks up?

I am up to the same point and I definitely feel like the first game was better, I'm still enjoying it enough but its not great

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can you transfer Switch save data to an SD card or some other kind of external thing? I'm selling my Switch but it'd be good to know if I could keep all my save data and stuff should I ever get one again (say when Metroid Prime 4 comes out).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Frankston posted:

Can you transfer Switch save data to an SD card or some other kind of external thing? I'm selling my Switch but it'd be good to know if I could keep all my save data and stuff should I ever get one again (say when Metroid Prime 4 comes out).

Uploading them to Nintendo Online is the easiest way.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

pixaal posted:

Uploading them to Nintendo Online is the easiest way.

Don't they delete the data if your subscription stops for six months or something?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm enjoying mua3 playing it 4 player couch coop but man... The camera is SO BAD

Like legit the worst game camera I can remember. I sympathise since the switch isn't powerful enough to split screen this without dropping to 15fps (like hyrule warriors) so they made a decision. But drat.

Nobody controls the camera and you also can't run offscreen so you're constantly getting trapped by it, it's placement seems totally random.
The saving grace is that it's so bad it's hilarious, it's SO BAD! at one point we were fighting a huge group of tough mobs and the camera swung in close to look at a single mob, cutting two of us off the screen entirely and hiding the other two of us behind this zoomed in mob. For the whole fight. I was shrieking with laughter the whole time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm enjoying mua3 playing it 4 player couch coop but man... The camera is SO BAD

Like legit the worst game camera I can remember.
I don't doubt that MUA3 has a bad camera, but I just got a PS Classic and let me tell you, as someone who is playing a lot of games like Tomb Raider for the first time, there's no way that the camera in any game released in 2019 has a worse camera than your average PSX game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That guy is real mad

He got sold a broken product with no means of refund if bought digitally.

If there's a class action lawsuit for joycons, there should also be one for bloodstained on the Switch if it's not fixed within a certain date.

On a more positive note Hollow Knight is indeed amazing.

I'm nearing the true end I think and it's been a difficult but extremely satisfying game to play.

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 20, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bloodstained on switch is kind of darkly funny because Koji Igarashi and crew only included it at the behest of backers because they thought it wouldn’t be popular so the port was half assed and the Switch is now the top selling platform for the game so they’re scrambling to make the port not poo poo. But they were so blind sided by it that they clearly weren’t working on any performance tweaks until after the game launched on the Switch so performance enhancing patches are still weeks out

To put into perspective just how badly Iga and Co misread the market despite a late launch on the Switch its first week sold more than the PS4 and Xbone did combined during their launch week :laffo:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

asecondduck posted:

there's no way that the camera in any game released in 2019 has a worse camera than your average PSX game.

Rdr2 laughs at your assertion, 2018 but still

Woebin posted:

It's more that, the "interesting characters" gamora and groot feel not great, while star lord and drax feel great to play. You just started though, wait until you unlock more characters. Think of it like a fighting game where you find what your mains are.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 20, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Bloodstained on switch is kind of darkly funny because Koji Igarashi and crew only included it at the behest of backers because they thought it wouldn’t be popular so the port was half assed and the Switch is now the top selling platform for the game so they’re scrambling to make the port not poo poo. But they were so blind sided by it that they clearly weren’t working on any performance tweaks until after the game launched on the Switch so performance enhancing patches are still weeks out

To put into perspective just how badly Iga and Co misread the market despite a late launch on the Switch its first week sold more than the PS4 and Xbone did combined during their launch week :laffo:

It's soooo disappointing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ended up using my gift card to pick up Bayonetta 2 physical. I forgot how ridiculous and over the top Bayonetta 1 was and I'm very glad Nintendo saved the series.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Market: every game released on the switch and other platforms, sells massively more on the switch than the other platforms. There are two years of solid evidence for this happening again and again.

Bloodstained devs: I bet no one owns a switch :thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd definitely re-buy it on Switch if they fix it up enough. I love the PC version but it's the type of game I'd much rather play handheld.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

It would be nice if there was some lesson to be learned about releasing games in a lovely, unoptimized state, but I have a feeling the sales numbers are good enough to make that impossible.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 20, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
As bonehead a move as it was, I'd rather play a great game at 20fps than a dogshit game at 60. Considering the pace at which they managed to polish the graphics for release I have the feeling they'll fix it in a month or so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As bonehead a move as it was, I'd rather play a great game at 20fps

Yikes that bar got lowered just a bit too much

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fallom posted:

Yikes that bar got lowered just a bit too much

Portable and God's Best System and all those phrases for buying inferior ports

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As bonehead a move as it was, I'd rather play a great game at 20fps than a dogshit game at 60. Considering the pace at which they managed to polish the graphics for release I have the feeling they'll fix it in a month or so.

Sure, but if there's an option for the great game at a relatively stable 30 fps without horrible load times and random crashes, I'd gladly wait a month or two for that.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I bought the Donkey Kong DLC for Mario + Rabbids and it's kinda crazy how much fun it is to have DK consistently swinging in massive circles around the map kicking rear end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Obession with framrate and graphics really causes people to be willing to consume garbage with weird qualifiers.

I love the switch, BOTW is great but ask me to tell the difference on a big LED flatscreen from 10 feet away between 30 and 60 fps and it will take me some time to figure out which is which.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Framerate is a gameplay issue, not just a graphics one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoodBee posted:

Uh oh. I never bothered to mod my PSP. I've got the 2000 for what it's worth. Maybe I should now.

Unironically yes mod your psp. It's one of the best emulation machines out there and it takes minutes to jailbreak it. If you want to get real fancy it's also not too difficult to remove the disk drive and replace it with a big rear end lipo battery so you never have to charge it again