Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Maybe a big streamer played it and liked it?

I can only assume that's the case. Kinda wish I knew who though if it did happen so I could go check it out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Mansion of Dr. Bones
GB3-R4Y-9QG

A puzzle solving mansion that requires you to scour the entire thing and figure out what the hell to do, slowly unlocking progress by solving puzzles. Its a longass level that I wish could give an infinite timer but what can ya do.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 22, 2019

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I turned the game on just to see any new notifications and uh

Excuse me, what the hell did I miss?

Oh hey, congrats!

Maybe it works similar to the original Mario Maker?

In the original, once a course got enough plays (I think it was something like 105), it became eligible to make its "debut" on the popular list, depending on if it was well-liked enough. So the plays would be trickling along, then BAM, suddenly everyone's playing it! If course, the general Mario-playing public are the harshest critics, so you'd need a REALLY likable course in order to keep the like-to-plays ratio high enough to STAY on the list (in MM1, this was about 1:20). Otherwise you get a burst of plays, then the course drops back to obscurity.

That's just how it worked in MM1, though. I don't know how different it is now. Do you remember about how many plays it had before this? And are you still getting plays?

In any case, nicely done!

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Finally took a break from playing levels to make more levels.

Don't Move
MCQ-9LT-QDG
Difficulty: Expert

Took this level concept from a much older, much harder level of mine. It's an auto-level. Kind of.

Maxxim fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 23, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blitz time!

Monty's Mangroves - H3W TX5 YQG

Fun to just put some humps and bumps together. Jump off bullet bills as needed!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

guppy posted:

I liked this a lot, I have fond memories of the space levels from Super Mario Land 2 so this design really works for me. The ? block placements are really nice and so are the sub-world bonus rooms. Pace of scrolling is good. Weirdly the boss fight took me several tries but it was nice to have a boss fight that wasn't totally paint by numbers.

Thanks for playing! The boss fight is pretty tough and I can't even really say why, it takes me a few tries every time too. Glad you still liked it though!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
For this level I decided to intentionally make the worst level I could. I didn't want to make a level that was just hard or unfair or full of walls of enemies or whatever. I do promise that nothing like that is in this level. While there are a few invisible coinblocks, they don't softlock you or kill you or make you do large level portions over. I can't be 100% certain but I'm fairly sure there's no way to softlock in this level at all Unless you do the one really obvious foolish thing that is fairly telegraphed as a bad choice. There is also a death pit but it's like 3 seconds into the level and you'd have to choose to walk into it.

However, this is a bad level. I designed it to be as unfun as possible. There are checkpoints, but if you mess up and run out of time or do manage to die, you'll pretty much have to start over, because both checkpoints are at the beginning, to show my sincerity, in that I had to clear check this piece of garbage 3 times, not including general playtesting.

Super Bad Levelio World 2 1-1
CP3-0GL-7VF

Should you play this, I hope you get whatever it was you were looking for out of the experience, and I'm sorry in advance.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Nep-Nep posted:

For this level I decided to intentionally make the worst level I could. I didn't want to make a level that was just hard or unfair or full of walls of enemies or whatever. I do promise that nothing like that is in this level. While there are a few invisible coinblocks, they don't softlock you or kill you or make you do large level portions over. I can't be 100% certain but I'm fairly sure there's no way to softlock in this level at all Unless you do the one really obvious foolish thing that is fairly telegraphed as a bad choice. There is also a death pit but it's like 3 seconds into the level and you'd have to choose to walk into it.

However, this is a bad level. I designed it to be as unfun as possible. There are checkpoints, but if you mess up and run out of time or do manage to die, you'll pretty much have to start over, because both checkpoints are at the beginning, to show my sincerity, in that I had to clear check this piece of garbage 3 times, not including general playtesting.

CP3-0GL-7VF

Should you play this, I hope you get whatever it was you were looking for out of the experience, and I'm sorry in advance.

I think I got de facto softlocked near the end. I got to the red pipe dropping the helmet, went in the door, and a row of invisible blocks and springs stopped me from advancing. Then I thought maybe the red pipe was the way out but it didn't go anywhere. I acknowledge maybe I could have gone all the way back, but not with the amount of time I had left on the clock.

Anyway gently caress you but I also gave you a like so it shows up in Endless mode.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sat down to do some more goon levels

Pointless Sub-Level?: Weird, not entirely sure how I was supposed to beat it. I ended up blasting my out of the stage via bomb-omb but I don't think that was intended since I had to damage boost to do it.

Multiplayer Luigi's Mansion: This level is not conductive to multiplayer versus at all. Boos and boo rings are terrible enemies to use in multiplayer. Boos track only one player and their constant repositioning and invulnerability means they can turn jumps that one player passes easily into a really difficult hazard. Boo rings operate on cycles and whoever gets their first is gonna have more favorable ones probably. Then later in the stage you use platforms on tracks which are awful to wait for if you are behind someone and they just barely make it while you don't.

Mini Mario in Massive Mansion: I'll be honest, I hated playing this level. It was just tedious and full of design decisions that are either questionable or downright bad. Its very rough. The theme though is very unique so I wanted to like this level really badly. I just can't spend more time on it though. A more polished version would be very nice.

Buzzy Desert: Decent traditional level. Could use some more meat too it but I think this was made for a blitz, in which case its nicely polished for such a quick project.

Ball Jumps: Cannon jumping is fun but this execution is sloppy. Mainly, the cannons firing can be screwed up by entering doors or camera scroll causing them to desync. More care should be taken to avoid these issues with these kinds of levels.

Perilous Pipes: Nice platforming level. Good use of coins to make the blind jumps manageable. I'd say it could use some more optional rewards for difficult jumps sprinkled in but of course what is here already is fine.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Control Volume posted:

The Mansion of Dr. Bones
12J-2JB-YQG

A puzzle solving mansion that requires you to scour the entire thing and figure out what the hell to do, slowly unlocking progress by solving puzzles. Its a longass level that I wish could give an infinite timer but what can ya do.

I timed out twice before I got everything. :negative:

It's a great level though, very well made. I envy your puzzle craft, mine are all very one-dimensional.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

Perilous Pipes: Nice platforming level. Good use of coins to make the blind jumps manageable. I'd say it could use some more optional rewards for difficult jumps sprinkled in but of course what is here already is fine.

Thanks! I tried to get rid of most blind jumps. It's one of my earlier courses so it's not the best but it's definitely one I'm still proud of simply because of how long I banged my head against it trying to clear it (turns out it was impossible to clear for like three hours because Cycles).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

blitz time!

Monty's Mangroves - H3W TX5 YQG

Fun to just put some humps and bumps together. Jump off bullet bills as needed!

Good. Nice escalating challenge, and checkpoint placement.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Visible Dog posted:

In the original, once a course got enough plays (I think it was something like 105), it became eligible to make its "debut" on the popular list, depending on if it was well-liked enough. So the plays would be trickling along, then BAM, suddenly everyone's playing it! If course, the general Mario-playing public are the harshest critics, so you'd need a REALLY likable course in order to keep the like-to-plays ratio high enough to STAY on the list (in MM1, this was about 1:20). Otherwise you get a burst of plays, then the course drops back to obscurity.
This makes sense and I think it must be the case in MM2 as I've had a few get sudden bursts of plays after a few days. Most recently I came home to my course Perilous Parkour Palace having something like 1400 plays when it was hovering around 80 the night before. It hung around for awhile too with the play count at about 2450 the last time I checked. Despite getting a large number of likes I think it must have gotten nearly as many boos based on how my maker points were fluctuating throughout the time. I guess if you get an expert course in popular you should expect it will be checked out by a lot of salty kids who aren't skilled enough to play it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

To make up for the kid's level in the jam, my blitz level will have a sub-3% clear rate (at least once it gets out to the general public).

Painful Piranhas
MTT-R08-11G

Obviously Piranha Plants was my theme enemy. I did this one in an hour and I would have made a couple of tweaks to the level to make it easier but I was uploading at 56 minutes. There's one death trap that I didn't realize was a death trap when I built it and now I wish I had incorporated it more into the level because it's pretty cool. My design process was basically, "What can I do with these parts to make nasty traps with just the standard plants?" The ending is supposed to be easy because it's kind of a reward section for the player.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Have you all seen House of Oob? Does some pretty neat tricks with the custom auto-scroll feature. 33X-JGJ-PNF or just watch TheDragonFeeney play through it.

I liked this but I think a mushroom at the first checkpoint would do wonders for getting people to clear it.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Something short and simple, as long as you can read directions and process color:

Hold on Green - Rainbow Ride
5SQ-N0H-WVG

Got the first clear on this. It really wasn't as hard as the super expert clear rate would lead you to believe but the problem is that it works until it doesn't. I'd feel like I was doing everything perfectly but perhaps because I was a pixel off on the first jump or I mistimed a hold somewhere I'd end up undershooting something despite doing the right thing on the previous turtle. Also when the camera moves down vertically it's a bit too quick to process what is coming next. People in endless mode actually can't read directions so I left them in a comment at the start of the stage.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 20, 2019

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I was inspired by the level by the Celeste guy where you have to blow up a fort.

However, I'm not the Celeste guy so here's a level about chucking bombs around:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Made a silly Blitz level, I'm sure I'll delete it soon:

18P-H0P-F2H

Highly entertained it's telling you the gimmick in the code!

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."

Internet Kraken posted:

Sat down to do some more goon levels

Pointless Sub-Level?: Weird, not entirely sure how I was supposed to beat it. I ended up blasting my out of the stage via bomb-omb but I don't think that was intended since I had to damage boost to do it.

That’s the intent, though not from the damage boosting. I suspect that’s how most players will complete the level since I had that exact feedback from another.. The blast radius from a bomb set on the right thwomp is enough to breach the ceiling hard block.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

J-Spot posted:

People in endless mode actually can't read directions so I left them in a comment at the start of the stage.

Thank you. I probably should have thought of that myself.

I'm aware that being a little off can sometimes screw a perfect run, but there wasn't really anything I could do about it. It didn't happen all that often for me, but I'm also the creator. Hopefully it's rare.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Here's a level inspired by going to work :v: A bit late for last week's jam, but I was having some trouble putting the idea to paper. Still working on building a course that can keep a clear rate of above 20%

Mario Revolution

Difficulty: Easy (hopefully)

now to check out some of y'all courses

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Suspicious Cook posted:

Thank you. I probably should have thought of that myself.

I'm aware that being a little off can sometimes screw a perfect run, but there wasn't really anything I could do about it. It didn't happen all that often for me, but I'm also the creator. Hopefully it's rare.

You just reminded me of a person in this Twitch streamer's Discord who had a Bullet Blaster blocked by a block in SMW style. You had to hit the block and coax a bullet out and direct it towards a thing to solve a puzzle (it was a homing bullet). Only I couldn't get it to come out. At first he was really condescending ("You do realize you can hit the block to make the bullet come out?") and then he was just rude ("The bullet should come out every time, you must be doing something wrong.") Basically, I had proven his puzzle had a massive flaw and he wouldn't admit that it worked for him only because he knew exactly where you needed to stand.

I'm not saying you're like this guy at all. You just reminded me of the interaction because you were hoping the problem was rare. This guy jumped straight to the conclusion that I must be stupid, not that there was a problem with his puzzle's mechanics.

I don' like interacting with anybody with this game except goons.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have approximately one spare hour so let's see how many jam and blitz levels I can play. I'm going to start with the jam since the theme means that those should go pretty quickly.

Slidetide Pools
MF3-C07-61H
By: Phantasium

I liked how you built the stage around one basic trick with a reward set up. Your enemy placement felt a bit aggressive for the theme, but they were completely oppressive. Using the forest water level to make small shallow pools was a cool concept, too.

Baby Driver
FXN-W0H-8QF
By: guppy

Short and sweet really sums up this stage. Not a lot here, but what's here is done well.

In Search of the Desert Flower
7WK-F01-B6G
By: Asema

Maybe it was the fact that I took the upward path, but this stage felt weirdly aggressive for something intended for kids. It wasn't superhard, but it did have its set of tricks. With that caveat, I liked the concept and the POW puzzle was nice.

(Hey, my 500th course played!)

Birthday Party!
9D5-CQ7-FKF
By: Huxley

The cake and the mushroom at ht end were cute, but I had problems with the layout in other sections. Default length snake blocks do not make for good platforms, the forced hit to get rid of Yoshi is non-intuitive, and the star run section didn't really add a whole lot to the level.

Elsa Spiderman Mario Adventure
52R-0PB-3YG
By: J-Spot

Welp, shut down Mario Maker. We need to contain this now before the contagion spreads.

Cold Kitty Mountain
YXN-54F-FKF
By: Macaluso

The cat suit is a good theme for a kid's level and you give plenty of opportunities to retry. It worked pretty well.

Dire Desert Dash
CP1-TKC-X0G
By: Rollersnake

I don't care how easy of a speedrun it was, this was not a great stage for kids. The jumps at the very least required a bit of coordination and there was the clock pressure. And because you simplified things, it becomes kind of a dull speedrun as well.

Like Father, Like Son
9J7-M44-37G
By: The Lobster

Pairing up the big and little enemies is cute, but I found myself wishing that something more had been done with the concept. As it stands, in this stage I'm just walking through a pair of more enemies on the wheel.

Claw Machine Kingdom
K0R-6TK-H1H
By: Rhythmancer

Interesting design, but I feel like you didn't take into account how high people can jump or bounce off walls in some of your areas. I kept getting over, around, or inside things.

Very Wieldy
CHL-YJL-JDF
By: Wendell

A pleasant little standard level, but it doesn't leave me with a whole lot to say about it.

Pirahna Pipe Pier
K0P-W41-MVG
By: Internet Kraken

Great visual design, but was this intended for Jam 3? This is not for kids at all.

Starry Stronghold
7W9-YQT-PHG
By: Salastine

A stylish design for the level. I tried to skip your stage using the p-switch and I couldn't quite pull it off, too.

Boom Boom's Railway Blast
3YF-SK2-WHF
By: Suspicious Cook

I wound up giving up on this one due to time constraints. I like your train, but this is a pretty tricky level. Switching the obstacles is done well, but the only power ups available are ones you get the magikoopa to spawn.

tokz
Sep 26, 2005
BANKOROK SANTAK ULYAOTH
Just uploaded my first level! It's a normal-ish classic SMW cave level with a few secrets and alternate paths. Really missing Chargin' Chucks here. Let me know what you think!

Slippery Shafts
PBR-6V7-70G
Difficulty: Easy/Normal

tokz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 20, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw this in my recommend on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GHmVb7Miw

Anyone know how they did this? How did they force the camera off of Mario?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They used custom scroll with scroll stop to do that.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Holy poo poo that's clever!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random Stranger posted:

In Search of the Desert Flower
7WK-F01-B6G
By: Asema

Maybe it was the fact that I took the upward path, but this stage felt weirdly aggressive for something intended for kids. It wasn't superhard, but it did have its set of tricks. With that caveat, I liked the concept and the POW puzzle was nice.

(Hey, my 500th course played!)

Congrats on the 500th course played!

Like all of my childhood memories where things had more adult tones if you go back to look at them (Rocko's Modern Life/Ren and Stimpy/Goonies) the upper path is the more challenging path! Thanks for the comment!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Gonna be streaming some goon levels for like an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Show me your moves in chat.

http://youtube.com/zfleeman/live
or
http://twitch.tv/zfleeman

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

Dire Desert Dash
CP1-TKC-X0G
By: Rollersnake

I don't care how easy of a speedrun it was, this was not a great stage for kids. The jumps at the very least required a bit of coordination and there was the clock pressure. And because you simplified things, it becomes kind of a dull speedrun as well.

Yeah, it's basically a joke level I threw together in a couple hours, and I only submitted it because of the ending. I didn't intentionally simplify things—I just don't actually like speedrun levels, and it probably shows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Back at release I played a heinously bad level in versus.It softlocked right at the start if we screwed up one trick and forced us all to wait 500 seconds doing nothing.

Just played another one like it. At first I was amused by how similar it was before I realized with dawning horror it was the same loving level! How!?? How the gently caress can this piece of poo poo still be in rotation weeks later? Meanwhile the course I tailor designed for versus apparently got booted out of the queue after 3 matches :negative:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

tokz posted:

Just uploaded my first level! It's a normal-ish classic SMW cave level with a few secrets and alternate paths. Really missing Chargin' Chucks here. Let me know what you think!

Slippery Shafts
PBR-6V7-70G
Difficulty: Easy/Normal

Not bad for a first level. Has a nice breezy flow to it. Be careful with blind drops though. Toward the end of the vertical section I fell into a pit of munchers I didn't know was there and wouldn't have had time to react to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I liked this but I think a mushroom at the first checkpoint would do wonders for getting people to clear it.

I was gonna do that but I forgot :negative:

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

Nep-Nep posted:

CP3-0GL-7VF

I feel somewhat obligated to play whatever you end up making, need to bring some balance to you playing my levels.

1-1
I still don’t know what I was hoping to get out of this level, but I got whatever it was. There is cheese, but it’s arguably more painful than playing the level normally.

1-2
Not as bad as the previous. I liked that it was up front about it's terrible gimmick. At least it's pretty short.

Test of rhythm
For a rhythm level the opening was painfully slow. A blue snake would’ve been nicer. Was a little bare.

Boingy!
Didn’t /quite/ look like a regular Mario level, but it had a pretty good feel to it. I enjoyed it.

Your bobombs ruined my Christmas
Felt a little crowded, though I can’t exactly pinpoint why. Possibly because side areas were visible? That’s not really a bad thing so i dunno. Was a bit long for a level without (useful) checkpoints.

Mario’s stressful work day
Eh. Either needed more room to dodge, or the track needed to be shorter. Was pretty repetitive as is.

Hardest level ever? No clickbait
Maybe not hardest ever, but probably in top five.

Fort 1-E Area 6 Stage 9
This doesn’t seem like it’d work that well in versus, but I still haven’t played any. As a single player level it was alright, if a bit repetitive.

I forgot to make a puzzle
The pipe colours were a good indication I was in an infinite loop.

Internet Kraken posted:

Buzzy Desert: Decent traditional level. Could use some more meat too it but I think this was made for a blitz, in which case its nicely polished for such a quick project.

Yeah, it was a 30 minute blitz so I kind of ran out of time towards the end. Thanks for playing it!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Slidetide Pools
MF3-C07-61H
By: Phantasium

I liked how you built the stage around one basic trick with a reward set up. Your enemy placement felt a bit aggressive for the theme, but they were completely oppressive. Using the forest water level to make small shallow pools was a cool concept, too.

Yeah if you get the second mushroom while already big it's a fire flower, so I wanted to make sure there were some enemies to hit with it because otherwise the level was pretty much over by the time you get it. I tried to time things so that even if you weren't sliding and bouncing off stuff that most of the hazards would be over/under you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, I've got some more free time so now I'm starting with the Blitz levels. Which at the moment is four levels other than mine, so this will go fast:

Blitz: The Cannon-Hop Bop
PSQ-0FR-7YG
By: Last Visible Dog

So I mentioned when commenting on last week's blitz that the part selection didn't work together. That wasn't the case this week. Monty moles, clown cars, note blocks, and launchers are all useful components of devices. They all have distinctive behavior that supports each other. Almost all of the parts support some kind of vertical movement or tracking the player horizontally. This meant that there were good options for building some clever contraptions in the blitz.

This level is a great example of that, making tricky moving platforms out of combining the launchers with everything. It's a challenging level, probably destined to be in the super expert category, but it works really well with lots of little "checkpoints" to let the player go back and try the difficult jumps again. Really great exploration of the concepts here.

Yoshi's Hammer Throw Competition
TXW-QFX-QDG
By: Artic Puma

The combination of bouncing on the noteblocks and the randomness of the hammer bros made this one a bit of a mess. I didn't find the clown car in the brick until after quite a few tries to get through that section without it, too.

Monty's Mangroves
H3W TX5 YQG
By: alf_pogs

Not bad but I wound up jumping on the same barrage of bullets through the whole stage which I think bypassed a lot of your level concept.

The Lobster posted:

Made a silly Blitz level, I'm sure I'll delete it soon:

18P-H0P-F2H

Highly entertained it's telling you the gimmick in the code!

Okay, where was the invisible staircase. I know it's in there somewhere, but I wound up just bouncing through to the end.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, where was the invisible staircase. I know it's in there somewhere, but I wound up just bouncing through to the end.

You couldn't find it because it's not there. :shobon:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

You couldn't find it because it's not there. :shobon:

I saw the blocks way up high as I was bouncing and thought, "Oh ho, a secret path!" But I guess I just had to bounce.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is there a site that lists all the things they "fixed" from MM1? Like I know you can't put vines behind doors anymore basically any kind of overlapping is out, but I learned today that spikes at the top of the screen now block movement apparently?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

I saw the blocks way up high as I was bouncing and thought, "Oh ho, a secret path!" But I guess I just had to bounce.

Sorry, that was my screenshot for the upload. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/1152512140336492544

:thunk: