Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's the new hotness for leveling? I've been doing some PotD here and there while grinding leves. I burn out on palace real quick because there's only so many extremely obnoxious players I can play with before I get tired and just go grind something else for that exp instead. They always play tanks too, I've noticed.

Highlight of last session was someone who would park themselves on the exit to the floor the instant we found it and throw a fit in chat if someone took three seconds to dash up to the last unexplored room to find silver chests, not even bothering to clear it if there weren't any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

singateco posted:

No, she could've realized what her parent's deaths meant, and you know, not choose to murder and oppress people. Portraying her as 'victim of the system' is wrong. Would you also portray Nazi officers as 'victim of the system'? She was an active aggressor and she need to be hanged. It's an incredibly bad look for a game that has a fantasy nation with Japanese aesthetic as oppressed nation.

Comparing Fordola to someone joining the Nazis is completely misunderstanding her situation.

Ala Mhigo isn't Germany under Nazi rule its more like South Africa during Apartheid or British colonial India. Ala Mhigo is a colonial territory due to being conquered by an imperial power. And Fordola was born into that, it's a completely different scenario. Fordola was born into colonial Ala Mhigo with her father already having thrown his lot in with Garlemald. She was born into a loving lovely imperial colony and from that moment she was already seen as a traitor by Ala Mhigans and to Garleans she was still a 3rd class Ala Mhigan animal. She decided that the path to "equality" or some measure of equalness was the path of Garlean citizenship partially out of fear of Garlemand but also because that's the solution that colonies present to their conquered populace, and Fordola having never experienced anything else is kinda primed to accept that.

This is not to say she was justified. She's a huge petty rear end in a top hat whose primary motivation in Stormblood is basically revenge and Lyse is completely correct to shout at her that Fordola's opinions on Ala Mhigan freedom hold no weight since she shot a gigantic laser cannon at her own men. But she's still something of a victim of the colonial machine, like a rather realistic victim even. Obviously she didn't have to do what she did, part of the reason Arenvald is even around is to show all the decisions Fordola could have made if she wasn't a huge fucker but I still think it's crazy to compare her to a nazi.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Fordola sucks off with her head.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Rexicon1 posted:

:yeah:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

SMN feels fun, but janky as all hell. I kinda like how it feels when I'm vaguely keeping up with it though. Enkindle feels weak as heck for a 3m cooldown though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

isk posted:

-Leveling dungeon gear - Put the ones you like into the Glamour Dresser; the others may be good for desynth or GC turn-ins

-Potions/Food/Mats - Sell on Market Board or vendor as appropriate

-Dyes - Keep the ones you really like/use on items in the Glamour Dresser; otherwise as above

-Materia - Check the Market Board, as lower grades can sell reasonably well

Oh you can dye glamour dresser stuff? Like while it’s in the dresser already?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh you can dye glamour dresser stuff? Like while it’s in the dresser already?

Yeah you can select dyes when making a glamour plate, the dye will then be tied to the specific plate and not the item itself. The dye is only consumed once, not every time you apply the plate.

Veib fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 20, 2019

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Items also remember what dye they had when you put them in the glamour dresser, and will start off with that dye when added to a plate. Can be handy for saving you money on the more expensive dyes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They're both bad people who did bad things but you can trace their descent into those bad things via their history and path chosen and understand why they would lash out, even if you actively condone and work to stop said bad things they're doing. :confused:

edit: Yeah, you can dye stuff before or after putting it in the dresser IIRC and it's useful if you always want something to have an irritatingly rare color. I dyed the glasses I use on everything the metalic gold for it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't forget too, you can right click something in the dresser and glamour it immediately without even soending a prism, glamour plates are just for convenience.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Rexicon1 posted:

yeah. i finished the main sb story today and my thoughts are: yotsuyu is cool and fordola sucks. a perfect representation that the far east is good and fun, while ala mhigo is boring and featured only out of a solemn obligation to wrap up its story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Marin Karin posted:

yeah. i finished the main sb story today and my thoughts are: yotsuyu is cool and fordola sucks. a perfect representation that the far east is good and fun, while ala mhigo is boring and featured only out of a solemn obligation to wrap up its story.

Yotsuyu is a cartoon character and Fordola feels like an actual plausible human being.

Fordola's flashback to what happened to her father reminds me a lot of reading about the arbitrary ostracization of "collaborators" in post-Vichy France despite the fact that drat near everyone was a collaborator. The collective social/cultural humiliation and a need to punish people to get over it.

Doma was a redundant mistake and Ala Mhigo does the occupation/recovery/revolution storyline much better.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Okay, I guess. Yotsuyu being cartoonish is why I liked her more. Her not giving a poo poo as her castle was collapsing around her and just kept smoking her pipe was so much fun as a scene. Sure, Fordola is a more plausible character. I agree with that. If we talked actual character depth I would have much more to say about her than Yotsuyu. It’s cool if you like her a lot, but I had a ton enjoyment and laughs at Yotsuyu’s facial expressions and voice acting. It’s all so ridiculous and excessive, I adored every second of it.

To be clear, I’m not agreeing with “she should be hanged.” I just didn’t care about her scenes and had a better time with Yotsuyu digging peoples faces in the floor... Yotsuyu is actually the best FF character, now that I think about it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I like red on my catman. It's a good look for him.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I would have preferred if Stormblood was all Ala Mhigo, personally, but I'm just weird like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ibblebibble posted:

I would have preferred if Stormblood was all Ala Mhigo, personally, but I'm just weird like that.

Same. I think almost all of the glaring weaknesses of Stormblood's plot trace directly back to the introduction of Doma when there just wasn't room for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the Far East stuff that is not Doma itself is pretty great though. Using the Nomadic Xaela tribes to explore the concept of Nation was a really novel idea.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the Far East stuff that is not Doma itself is pretty great though. Using the Nomadic Xaela tribes to explore the concept of Nation was a really novel idea.

I feel the big thing isn't the content itself, because it's all pretty good, it's just that the story kinda got hosed by having two completely unrelated places, I think.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just having some proper lore and representation for the Au Ra was nice too, even if it was an expansion late. Don't see steppe tribe themed stuff that often in RPGa and it was pretty interesting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I prefered the Doma side of things simply because Kugane, Yanxia and the Azim Steppe were a lot more visually diverse and interesting to than the Ala Mhigan zones. The Lochs was cool with the salt lake thing plus it had really nice music, but the Peaks and the Fringes are some of the least memorable zones in the game for me.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Nuebot posted:

So what's the new hotness for leveling? I've been doing some PotD here and there while grinding leves. I burn out on palace real quick because there's only so many extremely obnoxious players I can play with before I get tired and just go grind something else for that exp instead. They always play tanks too, I've noticed.

Highlight of last session was someone who would park themselves on the exit to the floor the instant we found it and throw a fit in chat if someone took three seconds to dash up to the last unexplored room to find silver chests, not even bothering to clear it if there weren't any.

Just stay constantly queued for dungeons and do whatever you can to get experience between runs. You'll get at least one level per dungeon run until you're about 50, provided you have the aetheryte earring and armory bonus. Tam-Tara and Stone Vigil are quick and easy so do those as much as possible, only switching to a higher dungeon when the exp gets really bad. MSQ roulette sucks but it's very good to do when you're around level 50-53 apparently. After that just do the highest dungeon you can, skipping only Bardam's because it's absolutely not better than Shisui. Once you hit ShB then FATEs are quite good experience between queue pops.

In my experience there's a lot of people wearing their i90 job reward gear in HW dungeons right now so they can get a little hairy. Not a lot of new players are doing SB content yet so those dungeons have been pretty quick and painless.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 20, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PLD AF4 is very good.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 20, 2019

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Asimo posted:

Don't forget too, you can right click something in the dresser and glamour it immediately without even soending a prism, glamour plates are just for convenience.

wait you can do this? gently caress that's going to make the fashion report so much easier.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Zoig posted:

I have a friend who decided that they needed to get all hand and land classes to 60 while under the buff. It took them a month and im not even sure the exp buff helps for non combat classes.

As for something more relevant to you, i reccomend trying to get every class that starts at 1 to 30 while under the buff if you can stomach it.
That gives you the job for everything, which is pretty important whenever you feel like doing palace of the dead, a later randomized dungeon run thing thats a alternate leveling method when you don't want to do dungeons.

If you are overleveled it can also give you more options to choose from while doing leveling roulette, because sometimes you can find you quite like a job you barely looked at, like me and summoner.

Thanks for the tip. The road to 70 bonus does apply to hand/land exp btw.

My plan was to play bard through the campaign, but since I overleveled so quickly I'm switching to my second choice, black mage. If I overlevel that too, which I think I will, I'll add on Lancer or something else. I'm not buying the expansions until I beat the ARR MSQ.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Thanks for the tip. The road to 70 bonus does apply to hand/land exp btw.

My plan was to play bard through the campaign, but since I overleveled so quickly I'm switching to my second choice, black mage. If I overlevel that too, which I think I will, I'll add on Lancer or something else. I'm not buying the expansions until I beat the ARR MSQ.

That's reasonable, pretty much all expansion content aside from extra races is unavailable until you beat it anyways so you are not actually missing anything by doing so.

Ibblebibble posted:

PLD AF4 is very good.

Actually, is there any bad AF4? So far every single one I've seen looks pretty good to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Minor Eden spoiler

Game still good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The whm af4 kinda sucks. I think they realize that whm af1 is still the best platonic whm look and are afraid to do anything more radical (ie BLM af4) so they just keep making shittier versions

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The whm af4 kinda sucks. I think they realize that whm af1 is still the best platonic whm look and are afraid to do anything more radical (ie BLM af4) so they just keep making shittier versions

i like the af2(?) with the tunic-robe thing better

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I don't like the female version of BLM AF4 at all, it's too much magical girl and too little destroyer of worlds.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

af3 is really good too.

ASTs af have been basically the same thing for years and im not a fan

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

The loving headpiece on WHM af4 looks so bad on my character. Does it look decent on an Au Ra, because that’s the only race I can picture it looks OK on. The body piece is really bad too, but after a series of pretty decent looking leveling gear from the MSQ chests, I was flabberghasted at how bad that set looks

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Can someone comment on the status of tanks right now? I started the game as a gladiator/paladin, but changed jobs to marauder/warrior at 35. At 50 I switched to Machinist, but I'm feeling the lure of tanking again. The warrior story is so awful that it kinda put me off the class, and the gameplay was also kinda meh, although admittedly I did only make it to 50. Paladin was pretty OK but again, I only played until level 35.

I haven't tried Dark Knight or Gunbreaker, but I'm looking for a fun to play tank that isn't SUPER complicated but still offers fun gameplay. I'm not looking to bleeding edge raiding or anything. A fun, cool story, and fun gameplay are what I'm after.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Modern dark knight is more complex than warrior but still on the simple side of things and has pretty much unquestionably the best story, so give that a look.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Can someone comment on the status of tanks right now? I started the game as a gladiator/paladin, but changed jobs to marauder/warrior at 35. At 50 I switched to Machinist, but I'm feeling the lure of tanking again. The warrior story is so awful that it kinda put me off the class, and the gameplay was also kinda meh, although admittedly I did only make it to 50. Paladin was pretty OK but again, I only played until level 35.

I haven't tried Dark Knight or Gunbreaker, but I'm looking for a fun to play tank that isn't SUPER complicated but still offers fun gameplay. I'm not looking to bleeding edge raiding or anything. A fun, cool story, and fun gameplay are what I'm after.

It sounds like you want DRK. It has the best class story in the game, is pretty easy to pick up and play, starts at a higher level so you don't have to stress about the ARR stuff, and also has fantastic glam options.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gunbreaker owns and starts at 60, and I liked the story up to 70 but, of course, there isn't much there since it just goes to role quests after that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just finished leveling Warrior to 80 and I think it's a lot of fun. It gets a lot of stuff that feels like it should've been a core part of the toolkit very late, which is a bit weird, but at max level it basically plays like a fun DPS to me. It's not very complex but it has a good feel to it :black101:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that's what makes it so hard to decide. Even at 50 the warrior felt like it was missing a lot of tools. I did like the gameplay just fine but it wasn't... you know, inspiring. It got the job done, and smashing things with a huge axe is always fun.

Re: Gunbreakers. I love the lore and the look, but what kinda puts me off is reading that the class lacks defensive cooldowns and is kinda mashy when the 30 and 60 second ability cooldowns come off.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every job feels empty pre70-ish now unfortunately

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
PLD seems like it's in a good spot atm. Strong toolkit, intuitive rotations, good when level synced and only gets more effective at later levels. They made out well with the ShB revamp.

DRK seems fine, has a lot more oGCD usage than PLD but seems easier to weave now with the loss of Dark Arts. The Blackest Night still owns. Sucks not having the cool Power Slash animation anymore but mechanically it's solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Having been maining a GNB I definitely don't feel especially squishy, especially if I use aurora on cooldown. It does a lot to smooth out your damage. The only real weak link is camoflauge and even 10% less damage for 20s is not nothing.