Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

The person I was responding to was talking about the American system. He mentioned 90 day speedy trial for misdemeanors in American. I made an unqualified Statement about that which i later walked Back. He then said it was better to abolish cash bail entirely, to force the rich to confront the criminal justice system, presumably in the context of the American justice system, as that’s what we were talking about. I responded. It’s all in the American context bc that’s what we were discussing in that back and forth.

No one was criticizing the Swedish model writ large. All I was saying was that pre trial detention is 1) bad all around 2) doesn’t make sense in Sweden on some blanket “flight risk” argument because you can prevent flight right but Swedish law specifically opts for pre trial detention instead of pre trial release focused on preventing flight risk

Ok that's fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Don't really have to worry about 2020 unless it's like, Biden. And even then then dem base is way more mobilized and focused than in 2016.

If you're talking about Minnesota specifically, then I have no idea. If you're talking about the election as a whole, this is loving stupid - we barely stand a chance. He's incumbent and the economy is good for rich people.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

SocketWrench posted:

No worries, I didn't think otherwise. It's just I can't help but be amazed how much these morons back openly bad things that will burn them and then are totally shocked they got burned.
Like watching someone put their hand on a heated stove time and time again, and each time being completely shocked it burns their hand

This, of course, entirely depends on where you are in the US.
The area I live in Lapeer county courts are a loving nightmare. It's fairly common to have your case pushed back so much it'll be six months or more before you actually see a courtroom. It gets doubly maddening when your case does come up they sometimes fail to contact you till after the date. I've actually had a friend get arrested because they pushed back his date, gave him notice, then had his case on the original date anyways. They got it cleared up after a while, but not till after he spent a day in the county jail

Yea the American legal system is a nightmare because it’s designed to punish minorities and poor people as much as possible. Cash bail is part and parcel of that systemic oppression. Cash bail should be abolished in favor of better pre trial release procedures.

All I was really trying to say is pre trial release should be advanced as much as possible. Sweden, by law and practice, doesn’t do that for flight risks, even tho it’s entirely possible. As a whole, Sweden’s system is certainly better, but that doesn’t put it above reproach. keeping rocky in jail when there are several reasonable measures you could take to keep him in the country is bad, regardless of how good the rest of it is.

Cash bail is still better than keeping anyone and everyone in jail pending trial tho and anyone arguing otherwise is wrong

quote:

Probably call it quits on either the drinking or the posting for tonight.
Imagine i put the just post image here before I gave up on finding it in the awful app

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2019

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Petr posted:

If you're talking about Minnesota specifically, then I have no idea. If you're talking about the election as a whole, this is loving stupid - we barely stand a chance. He's incumbent and the economy is good for rich people.

He's deep underwater in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and the economy being good for rich people isn't going to flip any state that went blue last time. People who think the economy or the loving laughable incumbency advantage are going to save Trump sound as delusional as Trump's own tweets. Especially when this "good," economy could very easily cost him Iowa.

What might save him is Maine's stupid EC rules and Wisconsin chuds, because if he loses MI and Penn and wins that one dumb vote from Maine and all the other states he did before, that's exactly 270. If he doesn't get that one vote it's a tie.

Then again in the event of a tie the vote goes to the House, but the vote works by the majority of each state's delegation earning you one point and first to 26 wins. I think in that event we're loving doomed, although I know there are some R-state delegations that are majority D.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Nonsense posted:

ASAP Rocky belongs behind bars for 25 years.

Look, I'm as unhappy as anybody about how he ruined Selena Gomez' "Good For You", but this seems a little extreme...

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

EwokEntourage posted:

Cash bail is still better than keeping anyone and everyone in jail pending trial tho and anyone arguing otherwise is wrong

hi actually this is bad and wrong

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Nocturtle posted:

JFC I just learned about "stand your ground" laws thanks to your post and now I'm even more appalled by this stupid country.

how the gently caress old were you in 2012 and how did you get your parents' credit card

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The ASAP Rocky case has caused some amazing things, like US ex-ambassador to Sweden trying to contact the royal family to get them to free Rocky and complaining how it will decrease Sweden's standing in the eyes of the world if they won't do it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Petr posted:

how the gently caress old were you in 2012 and how did you get your parents' credit card

Goodness people, we have a lot of political neophytes coming into awareness of American politics for the first time in their lives and they are using this thread as a resource. This was a question clearly asked in good faith, even if it is extremely common knowledge among regulars in this thread. There's no reason to jump all over someone like this for a genuine question being asked in good faith.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

not a bot posted:

The ASAP Rocky case has caused some amazing things, like US ex-ambassador to Sweden trying to contact the royal family to get them to free Rocky and complaining how it will decrease Sweden's standing in the eyes of the world if they won't do it.

If we can't rely on Carl XVI Gustaf, then the world is truly doomed.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Prester Jane posted:

Goodness people, we have a lot of political neophytes coming into awareness of American politics for the first time in their lives and they are using this thread as a resource. This was a question clearly asked in good faith, even if it is extremely common knowledge among regulars in this thread. There's no reason to jump all over someone like this for a genuine question being asked in good faith.

Fair enough, I'm sorry, ILU little postmillennial. Godspeed.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Agreed, if a rocket launcher can't free an American from prison, what tool possibly could?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Another reason Sweden doesn't need a bail system is that the Swedish police do not arrest people for traffic stops or other trivial reasons like in the US. They also have a national police force with a unified database which means that it's much less likely to have a situation where the police arrest you because of mistaken identity because you happen to have the same last name and DOB as someone with an outstanding warrant.

On another note, internet poisoning must have got me because I am actually glad Trump has taken up the false anti-semitism accusations because it is now rendering that particular line of attack radioactive for Reasonable People

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

only Trump could go to Sweden

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pellisworth posted:

Only Trump could open diplomatic relations with Jeffrey Epstein's Island

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Unlike in the American comedy show justice system, in Sweden there is no bail as such, instead it can be described as 'everyone basically gets bail for free', unless they're a danger to society or a flight risk. It has the side effect that millionaire celebrities don't necessarily get a free pass, while the poors get too stay behind bars waiting for trial, which apparently is a grave injustice to some ITT. Also, since the state prosecutes violent crimes, regardless of whether the victim wants to or not, no amount of paying off the victims will stop the a trial. If it seems unfair that rich people can't pay their way out of beating up YOUNG ADULTS, then I would argue that it's not actually a problem with the Swedish justice system but rather the idea that rich people should be able to get away with anything they want.

The good news is that whatever time is spent in jail now, will be subtracted from the final sentence. Which could be like 3-6 months I think (ianal though), and may end up just being probation, iirc that is often the case for first time offenders, but it's less likely since it's assault/violence. No, it's not self defense if you're punching and stomping someone who is on the ground in a defensive posture, and no, it does matter if the YOUNG ADULTS were 'totally asking for it', just like it doesn't matter if the girl was being a real cocktease and was wearing a short skirt. That said, mitigating circumstance is feeling threatened, and I think previous altercations and so on. Aggravating circumstance can be group violence, attacking someone while they're down/defenseless, using a weapon, if the victims are minors (which they weren't, afaik, just writing things that are often considered aggravating) and so on.

e;fine

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 20, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Please god no. I’m an American living in Sweden - this whole situation is sour as is.

When I gotta contend with this, you just give up.

Even if Sweden is doing what is legally necessary which is fine, i think (ugh) both sides (UGH) have a lot of points that are going past one another, or aren’t being fully comprehended. At this point the only person who I’m with on this is Leif GW.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

teen witch posted:

Please god no. I’m an American living in Sweden - this whole situation is sour as is.

When I gotta contend with this, you just give up.

Even if Sweden is doing what is legally necessary which is fine, i think (ugh) both sides (UGH) have a lot of points that are going past one another, or aren’t being fully comprehended. At this point the only person who I’m with on this is Leif GW.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/only_Nixon_could_go_to_China

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, hence the “please god no” - I too stayed awake in AP US.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

teen witch posted:

Yeah, hence the “please god no” - I too stayed awake in AP US.

ok so, who are the prominent female Swedish politicians our big moist baby are going to call "nasty" for voicing opposition to this?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Unlike in the American comedy show justice system, in Sweden there is no bail as such, instead it can be described as 'everyone basically gets bail for free', unless they're a danger to society or a flight risk. It has the side effect that millionaire celebrities don't necessarily get a free pass, while the poors get too stay behind bars waiting for trial, which apparently is a grave injustice to some ITT. Also, since the state prosecutes violent crimes, regardless of whether the victim wants to or not, no amount of paying off the victims will stop the a trial. If it seems unfair that rich people can't pay their way out of beating up kids, then I would argue that it's not actually a problem with the Swedish justice system but rather the idea that rich people should be able to get away with anything they want.

The good news is that whatever time is spent in jail now, will be subtracted from the final sentence. Which could be like 3-6 months I think (ianal though), which may end up just being probation, iirc that is often the case for first time offenders, but it's less likely since it's assault/violence. No, it's not self defense if you're punching and stomping someone who is on the ground in a defensive posture, and no, it does matter if the kids were 'totally asking for it', just like it doesn't matter if the girl was being a real cocktease and was wearing a short skirt. That said, mitigating circumstance is feeling threatened, and I think previous altercations and so on. Aggravating circumstance can be group violence, attacking someone while they're down/defenseless, using a weapon, if the victims are minors, etc.

Can you show me any evidence that the victim was a minor? I'm serious, Google isn't showing up with anything.

If he wasn't actually a kid then your post is super disinenuous.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

ok so, who are the prominent female Swedish politicians our big moist baby is going to call "nasty" for voicing opposition to this?

Essentially all of them minus morons from KD or SD - maybe a jerk from L. Plenty of various Swedish famous women though to make it up though.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Can you show me any evidence that the victim was a minor? I'm serious, Google isn't showing up with anything.

If he wasn't actually a kid then your post is super disinenuous.

No, I don't think they were minors, I also don't think a weapon was used, I was writing things that are typically considered aggravating circumstances. I said kids, because they were clearly a couple of kids in the video. Want me to go back and change it to young adults? Jfc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

teen witch posted:

The same GW who is gay-shaming the prosecutor? :v:

Roland Jones posted:

That's a better argument to have. In which case, I think that here it's not a great call on their part. Though I'm not familiar with A$AP himself or if he has a history that would imply he's a flight risk, rather than just being a foreign, black guy and that being enough for whoever got to decide this. From what I saw of the conversation earlier it seemed like MiddleOne was saying "is not from our country" is a perfectly acceptable reason in and of itself, which seems... Uh. Bad.

It's not an evaluation of his character, the fact that he's a foreign citizen (yes even EU citizens get flagged by this) means he's by legal definition, and precedential rulings in the highest court, automatically defined as a flight risk. Exceptions are extremely rare, ASAP is basically getting the same treatment as anyone else would under investigation for a crime that could result in prison time.

Also if you don't see how and why the opportunity cost for fleeing is different for a citizen versus a foreign citizen then I don't know what to tell you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Ughhhh goddamnit - not shocked though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

teen witch posted:

Essentially all of them minus morons from KD or SD - maybe a jerk from L. Plenty of various Swedish famous women though to make it up though.

what's your guess on the likelihood of:

1) Swedish politicians dig in their heels and refuse to submit to Daddy, triggering an extended early morning Twitter rant then everyone forgets about it a week from now

vs

2) we live in the worst possible timeline where the Swedish PM gives in, Trump and Kanye gloat about it for a few days until Trump is distracted by Kim Jong Un's sleek new haircut. Many people are saying it's the peoples' hair! Kim Jong Un, he has hair. The best hair. I've often said, Korean people, they're really great you see. We have 30,000 troops stationed in Korea. Who knew? 30,000 soldiers, folks. And their general, he came to me with tears in his eyes and said "Sir... Kim Jong Un's new haircut is dashing." So handsome, like out of central casting.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

Liberace? GW up to date on that teen slang I see.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

2) we live in the worst possible timeline where the Swedish PM gives in, Trump and Kanye gloat about it for a few days until Trump is distracted by Kim Jong Un's sleek new haircut.
What? Politicians cannot influence decisions made by the judiciary, the PM has no influence on wether or not anyone will be released. You know, seperation of powers and all that stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eschenique posted:

Liberace? GW up to date on that teen slang I see.

It's the laziest obfuscation of homophobia I've ever seen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Martian posted:

What? Politicians cannot influence decisions made by the judiciary, the PM has no influence on wether or not anyone will be released. You know, seperation of powers and all that stuff.

I'm glad to hear Sweden still has functional separation of powers, it's been pretty well eroded here in the US, hence my joking cynicism

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Unlike in the American comedy show justice system, in Sweden there is no bail as such, instead it can be described as 'everyone basically gets bail for free', unless they're a danger to society or a flight risk. It has the side effect that millionaire celebrities don't necessarily get a free pass, while the poors get too stay behind bars waiting for trial, which apparently is a grave injustice to some ITT.

I think it's a stretch to say ASAP Rocky is a flight risk. He's touring all over Europe during the summer and if he decided to gently caress off back to US, he could still be extradited and even if not taking that into account he'd be caught when visiting any European country anyway. To me keeping him in jail for now seems more like a PR thing, not wanting to get accused of giving celebrities a pass.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And here I thought dipshit wanted only sweeds to immigrate to the US.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

not a bot posted:

I think it's a stretch to say ASAP Rocky is a flight risk. He's touring all over Europe during the summer and if he decided to gently caress off back to US, he could still be extradited and even if not taking that into account he'd be caught when visiting any European country anyway. To me keeping him in jail for now seems more like a PR thing, not wanting to get accused of giving celebrities a pass.

It's literally the law. Even EU-citizens get designated as flight risks.

EDIT:

MiddleOne posted:

It's not an evaluation of his character, the fact that he's a foreign citizen (yes even EU citizens get flagged by this) means he's by legal definition, and precedential rulings in the highest court, automatically defined as a flight risk. Exceptions are extremely rare, ASAP is basically getting the same treatment as anyone else would under investigation for a crime that could result in prison time.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 20, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Revelation 2-13 posted:

No, I don't think they were minors, I also don't think a weapon was used, I was writing things that are typically considered aggravating circumstances. I said kids, because they were clearly a couple of kids in the video. Want me to go back and change it to young adults? Jfc.

Yeah, I actually do. Kids are minors when you talk about crime. Invoking them doesn't do this situation any justice. Lots of people call 30 year olds kids, but of course that's semantic.

There's an age of majority (18) in Sweden and it's ridiculous to ignore it for any sake, let alone to defend the inciting party in a case of self-defense. Jfc.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1152364533186519041

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDona...23post496866400

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

every time i think he can't sink to a new low he just effortlessly does lmfao

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Yeah, I actually do. Kids are minors when you talk about crime. Invoking them doesn't do this situation any justice. Lots of people call 30 year olds kids, but of course that's semantic.

There's an age of majority (18) in Sweden and it's ridiculous to ignore it for any sake, let alone to defend the inciting party in a case of self-defense. Jfc.

Hey if you're talking to someone from Sweden maybe you should rub a few brain-cells together and realize English probably isn't their first language so the linguistic subtlety between "kid" and "young adult" may not be so obvious when Americans use "kid" to refer to anyone younger than them all the drat time. Then maybe you can take a deep breath and not be a loving dick.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wow, wierd how this seems to be a systemic problem in American law enforcement with this :thunk:

I wonder what it is the US is doing to empower corrupt cops with para military/ racist mentalities. What could possibly be doing that?! A true mystery for the ages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Hey if you're talking to someone from Sweden maybe you should rub a few brain-cells together and realize English probably isn't their first language so the linguistic subtlety between "kid" and "young adult" may not be so obvious when Americans use "kid" to refer to anyone younger than them all the drat time. Then maybe you can take a deep breath and not be a loving dick.

Swedes are incredibly good at English and the Swedish language pretty much have similar kid/young adult distinctions.