Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Yeah, I actually do. Kids are minors when you talk about crime. Invoking them doesn't do this situation any justice. Lots of people call 30 year olds kids, but of course that's semantic.

There's an age of majority (18) in Sweden and it's ridiculous to ignore it for any sake, let alone to defend the inciting party in a case of self-defense. Jfc.

Throwing someone into curb, stomping on their hand and kicking and punching that person in face, stomach and back with your friends is definitely a form of self-defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Jesus christ, "Hey @speakerpelosi how may likes to start impeachment? A man's gotta have his functioning democracy!"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I see Trump is hitting all the Sci Fi dystopia movies, and we are in the Richard Dawson Running Man phase

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

not a bot posted:

I think it's a stretch to say ASAP Rocky is a flight risk. He's touring all over Europe during the summer and if he decided to gently caress off back to US, he could still be extradited and even if not taking that into account he'd be caught when visiting any European country anyway. To me keeping him in jail for now seems more like a PR thing, not wanting to get accused of giving celebrities a pass.

So you’re basically arguing that because he’s rich and famous and well known to the world that he should be getting better and more lenient treatment?

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

TulliusCicero posted:

Wow, wierd how this seems to be a systemic problem in American law enforcement with this :thunk:

I wonder what it is the US is doing to empower corrupt cops with para military/ racist mentalities. What could possibly be doing that?! A true mystery for the ages!

Don’t forget all the rifles, grenade launchers, APCs, humvees, flak jackets, helmets, and billions of dollars of other military equipment we’ve been handing to them for the past decade or so.

The cops in America have been turned into an oppressive paramilitary force, at a level not quite seen before. Gonna be a real fun decade comin’ up :)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

not a bot posted:

Throwing someone into curb, stomping on their hand and kicking and punching that person in face, stomach and back with your friends is definitely a form of self-defence.

Don't forget to film the whole thing and put it on instagram.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDona...%3D1705%23pti23

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

teen witch posted:

Swedes are incredibly good at English and the Swedish language pretty much have similar kid/young adult distinctions.

You're right, on review that was a proper use of the word to refer to "young person" and there was no reason to assume in context that they were trying to specifically say "minor child". So that was just disingenuous dickish behavior even without a language difference.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

I have it on good authority from a former Trump Org guy that the president paints himself orange so you can't see him getting beet red flustered when you use such hardball negotiating tactics such as calling bullshit on him or disagreeing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Unskew the polls!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I choose not to add an extra 15% to that number, but thanks for the option Don

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/secupp/status/1152416023791972352

she's quoting an article that says the dems would win the majority (again) and trump could still win lmao

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

It's a Rasmussen poll. I think I'll take 10% off of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned about Sweden’s system is that if pre-trial detention occurs and the accused is found innocent they are entitled to compensation for suffering as well as lost wages.

The system is imperfect as foreigners are concerned, since a foreigner is realistically not always a flight risk, but I can see their logic. If they leave the country I would be surprised if they returned as required (that goes for anyone) and extradition is difficult and expensive.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Yeah if I ended up in jail and expected to show up for trial in a country not my home, there's no way I'm sticking around if they don't lock me up.

I don't think anyone would.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

While I'd agree the Swedish model is an improvement overall, holy moly are people getting unnecessarily combative at the fact it's being questioned at all.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of all systems that imprison people, and "That's the law" or "This is just how it's done" are 100% not satisfactory answers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Koalas March posted:

While I'd agree the Swedish model is an improvement overall, holy moly are people getting unnecessarily combative at the fact it's being questioned at all.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of all systems that imprison people, and "That's the law" or "This is just how it's done" are 100% not satisfactory answers.

yeah, this, lol. no one's saying the US system is better, just that this thing isn't good

no one has even made a serious effort to defend their apparent complete lack of pre-trial release options (which EwokEntourage repeatedly mentioned) for foreigners accused of crimes, many of which would effectively solve the flight-risk problem. unless rocky has some kind of Epstein-level stashes of diamonds and fake passports and a private jet in Sweden, or they had some kind of reason to believe he would continue to be a danger to the community. in which case, by all means, the prosecutors should present those issues to the court in an application to deny pre-trial release

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 20, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

If giving a vet a vehicle was your intention in the first place, why not just give it to them rather than hope the moron in chief pays you any mind?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
All the Americans itt thinking you would need a passport to leave Sweden...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eke out posted:

yeah, this, lol

no one has even made a serious effort to defend their apparent complete lack of pre-trial release options (which EwokEntourage repeatedly mentioned) for foreigners accused of crimes, many of which would effectively solve the flight-risk problem.

unless rocky has some kind of Epstein-level stashes of diamonds and fake passports in Sweden, in which case, by all means, the prosecutors should present those issues to the court in an application to deny pre-trial release

This is essentially cash bail by another name, since it would require the accused to pay for a place to live, and for their day to day necessities, all while unemployed.

It’s a difficult situation with no obviously right or wrong answer, because while I’m sure there’s no pressing need for these guys to be in jail, the principle of equality before the law dictates that they remain detained. It’s a no-win situation.

The lead-up video makes it look like those guys probably deserved a beating, but depending on how far it went it may have been excessive and therefore criminal, further complicating the issue. Just because someone really deserves to catch an rear end-whooping doesn’t mean anyone has the legal authority to do it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

BabyFur Denny posted:

All the Americans itt thinking you would need a passport to leave Sweden...

He'll need a passport when returning to the US and even though border crossings are open in Schengen area, you'll still need a passport in case it's checked for a reason or another and most if not all airlines require a passport as well.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/secupp/status/1152416023791972352

she's quoting an article that says the dems would win the majority (again) and trump could still win lmao

Hey look it's Sippee Cup. What a blast from the past!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, there is a ton of poo poo that should be improved, like progressive penalties should be introduced as an obvious first step. There are also a lot of discriminatory practices towards immigrants (like they're more often target for searches and so on). There is probably a higher conviction rate for immigrants based on bias, although likely nowhere near as bad as in the US, as the racial/cultural biases are a lot more subtle/disguised by the strict insistence on the "neutrality" of the law and less use of a jury. Tbh, it's a general problem of the welfare state, where peoples bigoted opinions influence their jobs, whether it's police who always look at Muhammed first, or nurses who joke about "immigrant pains". Unfortunately there has been a marked conservative shift towards harsher punishments and more focus on vengeance, instead of rehabilitation, as the right wing has been gaining influence. People are stupid everywhere apparently.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Koalas March posted:

There’s this really weird disconnect or contradiction (perceived or actual) people seem to have between “call out injustice whenever you see it” and “respect other cultures/don’t project your American values on foreign countries or cultures”. I think it makes situations like this one with A$AP harder to discuss because the US telling a foreign nation how to conduct criminal justice is laughable. But that doesn’t necessarily make them wrong in this case.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

not a bot posted:

He'll need a passport when returning to the US and even though border crossings are open in Schengen area, you'll still need a passport in case it's checked for a reason or another and most if not all airlines require a passport as well.

You can drive over to the next country, walk into the us consulate, apply for an emergency passport, pick it up the next day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's kinda amazing how many people think Rocky is some mega wealthy powerhouse with tons of political pull to throw around.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can drive over to the next country, walk into the us consulate, apply for an emergency passport, pick it up the next day.

I'm not sure trying to avoid a court case counts as an emergency.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

not a bot posted:

but surely the US consulate will have no choice but to bend to the mighty power that is A$AP Rocky, international shot caller.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it's kinda amazing how many people think Rocky is some mega wealthy powerhouse with tons of political pull to throw around.

look, i just think everything that happens in any rapper's music videos is completely true

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Hey Sven, this guy who extremely publicly was arrested and is awaiting trial needs an 'emergency' passport for, 'reasons'. This is shady right?"

"Bjorn you fool! This is none other than A$AP Rocky! If we refuse his demand our careers will surely be over! If we anger him the entire A$AP Mob will have shooters in Stockholm within a day!"

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1152577020594917376?s=21

*staffer crossing out A$AP and writing “A-sap” for his speech*

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

The president of the United States of America personally taking up the issue certainly is zero political pull.

I haven't been to Sweden since I was a teenager so I can't really speak from specific experience but when I lived in Italy you can go from country to country as easily as state to state in the US. The only time I remember having to use a passport while flying was through England which is EU so idk. Where interestingly enough I was harassed by an English CBP agent (or whatever they're called there) because I had a two year old tourist visa stamp in Italy without an exit and he didn't seem to understand what NATO was.

edit: lol beaten by Trump himself

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

okay so rocky's definitely not getting out on ptr now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slowpoke! posted:

look man Trump cares deeply about his old harlem buddy mr "A-Dollar Sign-App" Rocky and I don't know why you'd imply he only cares about this because a famous person said to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Jesus. Even here with a nominally left leaning group, it's hard to show why one of the European systems is better. It's like explaining to chuds why socialized healthcare is actually a good thing. Sweden has a more or less fair system that is working here as intended, and it's a system the the US would do well to emulate.

The “Swedish model” of sex work legalization isn’t great, nor a substitute for proper decriminalization.

https://medium.com/@aleknielsen/nordic-model-the-ongoing-criminalization-of-sex-workers-in-northern-europe-c1df02ba94ae

It gives cops massive amounts of leeway to harass and stake-out sex workers under pretense of catching customers (which is what they do now) or anybody they deem to be profiting from sex work (landlords, if you hire security or employees, if you work with a friend, if you use a third party service like squarespace in your business, your internet or power if you work out of your home, etc), and creates an environment in which sex workers do “legal” work but are cut off from support avenues or legal protection and likelier to be taken advantage of or be victims of a crime.

Also if you’re a foreigner entering the country and the agent suspects you of intent to do sex work you can be barred entry on the spot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if this ends in a speech where Trump tries to say the dollar sign it'll all be worth it and if you disagree you're a liar

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

not a bot posted:

An emergency can mean as little as “left my passport at a bar and now I don’t have documents to fly home.”

sexpig by night posted:

"Hey Sven, this guy who extremely publicly was arrested and is awaiting trial needs an 'emergency' passport for, 'reasons'. This is shady right?"

"Bjorn you fool! This is none other than A$AP Rocky! If we refuse his demand our careers will surely be over! If we anger him the entire A$AP Mob will have shooters in Stockholm within a day!"

The American working in the American embassy is just going to take the info, charge a fee, and then press print. Or maybe they can’t print it there, so he presses “send” to another embassy that can.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Jarmak posted:

The president of the United States of America personally taking up the issue certainly is zero political pull.

I haven't been to Sweden since I was a teenager so I can't really speak from specific experience but when I lived in Italy you can go from country to country as easily as state to state in the US. The only time I remember having to use a passport while flying was through England which is EU so idk. Where interestingly enough I was harassed by an English CBP agent (or whatever they're called there) because I had a two year old tourist visa stamp in Italy without an exit and he didn't seem to understand what NATO was.

edit: lol beaten by Trump himself

Trump is getting involved because it's a thing that's blown up in media. Calling it the result of political pull would imply A$AP Rocky somehow getting Trump involved. That's just silly.

You can freely cross between countries in Schengen area though depending on situation there might be temporary checks at the border. But when you take a plane your passport will be checked. Also while UK is a part of EU it's not a part of the Schengen area.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

not a bot posted:

Trump is getting involved because it's a thing that's blown up in media. Calling it the result of political pull would imply A$AP Rocky somehow getting Trump involved. That's just silly.

no, it's because kim has jared's cell phone, and jared is the guy that can convince trump that doing favors to rappers is the way he'll make black people like them

see: executive clemency for alice johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

not a bot posted:

You can freely cross between countries in Schengen area though depending on situation there might be temporary checks at the border. But when you take a plane your passport will be checked. Also while UK is a part of EU it's not a part of the Schengen area.

Trump is getting involved because Kanye West and Kim Kardashian asked him to on Rocky's behalf.

Regardless when the ostensibly most powerful man in the world is personally calling the Prime Minister on your behalf that's political pull. The why
doesn't change that.