Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I really love that Final Fantasy XIV's main quest incorporates things from sidequests, and assumes them canon to the main story rather than just something else entirely. Their most common pick is to pull in characters from the job-exclusive questlines, which they do a few times. In one of those cases, somebody tries to direct you to someone who's involved in the Summoner quests, and if you're a Summoner you can just point out you know her and skip all the explanation of who she is.

My favorites are when they pull in questlines that everyone has access to but might've skipped, though. Stormblood does this by taking stuff from a long-running Hildibrand joke questline and actually taking them seriously for some non-integral scenes: There's a scene where the sultana of Ul'Dah tries to get advice on how to handle a refugee crisis, and turns to Hildibrand's insane father, who then gets an entirely serious scene. A slightly more oblique one is that one of Stormblood's raid bosses is a primal that was summoned by accident, which comes out of nowhere... unless you did the Hildibrand questline, where Gilgamesh does that and sets the precedent.

Shadowbringers, though, takes the notion that the side-content is Definitely Canon, which leads to two things that are pretty great payoffs to setups from years before:
1. An actually pretty huge one, connected to the Crystal Tower raids from three expansions before (not a spoiler that the Crystal Tower is involved, it's a big central part to the expansion's setting). The Crystal Exarch, who's probably the main 'new' hero of the entire expansion, is secretly someone from the Crystal Tower raids. You get extra dialog lines about that character if you've done the Crystal Tower questline, and I can only imagine that the reveal just doesn't make sense AT ALL for people who didn't do those raids--which I will note are three expansions old by now.

2. A more minor one, but a significant moment only makes complete sense if you've done earlier optional raids. When everyone's questioning how to get up to a now-floating mountain, Y'shtola comes up with the just crazy enough to work plan to build a giant robot to grab the mountain and drag it back down to where they can reach it. It's a really weird idea, especially coming from Y'shtola who's spent several years in-story basically living in a hippy commune in the woods, but it makes sense if you remember the sidequests she was present for. She's the only member of the currently present group that was there for the Alexander raids in Heavensward; that means that she's the only one that has experience with giant robots!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Christ, I thought Destiny was hard for a new player to jump into. FF14 sounds like a fantastic game that would take the time and energy equivalent of a master's degree to catch up with now, especially if you want to do all the raids and such.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh are you playing one of those games where you can import your picture?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lobok posted:

Oh are you playing one of those games where you can import your picture?

they usually standardise the size and proportions of imported pictures. be gone, troll.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Christ, I thought Destiny was hard for a new player to jump into. FF14 sounds like a fantastic game that would take the time and energy equivalent of a master's degree to catch up with now, especially if you want to do all the raids and such.

Only if you're absolutely intent on doing everything. Crystal Tower takes about an hour to unlock and run through everything. Maybe less, if you get a competent group of pubs for the third wing (and it's super easy to get random groups, even or indeed especially for these old raids).

The Alexander stuff is a harder ask, but even then it's more along the lines of "Okay, so the heroes' Smart Person actually does know what she's talking about" rather than coming up with the idea because she's the heroes' Smart Person.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Only if you're absolutely intent on doing everything. Crystal Tower takes about an hour to unlock and run through everything. Maybe less, if you get a competent group of pubs for the third wing (and it's super easy to get random groups, even or indeed especially for these old raids).

The Alexander stuff is a harder ask, but even then it's more along the lines of "Okay, so the heroes' Smart Person actually does know what she's talking about" rather than coming up with the idea because she's the heroes' Smart Person.
can you queue for raids/raid with randoms instead of needing coordination? if so, fair enough, that helps!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

can you queue for raids/raid with randoms instead of needing coordination? if so, fair enough, that helps!

You can queue for raids with randoms, yeah. The Crystal Tower raids are so old and power creep so noticeable that minimal coordination is needed - some is, but enough that your typical group of randos are just fine (with exceptions, thus my comment about the third wing). Even then you have pretty decent odds with more modern stuff. Enough people have done them that you can usually muddle through just fine.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Actually Alexander is super easy to do now that they've introduced a roulette (match-making playlist) for normal raids.

The only raid that needs you to go out of your way to get a group together for is the Bahamut one, as it's not on any roulettes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Mortal Kombat 11 you can make custom variations for your characters each with their own unique combination of special moves. On the character select screen you see little silhouettes of your chosen fighters duking it out while the stage loads, and the characters will only use the custom abilities you currently have equipped for that variation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Samuringa posted:

Shadow Warrior 2: If you try to reload a weapon that's already full, Wang will instead do a little flair with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtN0Fdm0Joc

unrelated wang, NSFW warning just in case:

i personally just think spoiler tags for images is ugly as gently caress but

to chime in for modding purposes, nsfw content shouldn't be posted but i have a pretty libertine definition of "nsfw" and i don't know if i'd count a golden dong in a vibeo game. the rules around what is and isn't nsfw does not take into account how draconian your workplace is sadly but do consider guillotining your boss tia

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I missed the whole discussion and I'm sorry as I didn't know the tags worked that way, I was mostly avoiding risking someone scrolling down to a massive, spiked, golden dick

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Samuringa posted:

I missed the whole discussion and I'm sorry as I didn't know the tags worked that way, I was mostly avoiding risking someone scrolling down to a massive, spiked, golden dick

Turn on your monitor?

:v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spoilering images is also a pain in the rear end for mobile users, fwiw. If you spoiler a timg it just won’t be visible ever

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think it might have been brought up before, but there's a lot to love from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

First of all, if you played the original SOTN, this is basically the distilled version of that on current gen hardware. The layout of the maps even feels like the castle from SOTN in a lot of ways. Here's the main hallway, and here's the water underneath the castle and here's the waterfall...

If you like the newer 2D Gameboy Castlevania games, this one borrows the mechanic of having your enemies drop souls, which allows you to absorb and then use their power. And you can then level up those powers to make them ridiculously over powered.

There is some cosmetic customization which is fun in terms of haristyle, and skin, outfit, hair and eye color, which I always like, but I also have to appreciate that for any headware that you equip you get to see it on the character model. It's a wonderful little thing.

Like in SOTN there's a bad ending for following the game plot straight to the boss and then a "true" ending for exploring a bit more.

There's a whole crafting sidepath that has a nice feature that I wish I had known when I started. By collecting random (and sometimes frustratingly rare) drops from enemies you can craft weapons, armors and consumables. One thing I didn't know was after you create an item once, it then becomes available for sale in the item shop. Also, you can break down items into their ingredients, and then craft them back into their original form to get the crafted item to appear in the shop. For example Gold is a crafting material (separate from the coins you spend on stuff) that can be broken down into two parts. If you break it down and then craft 1 Gold from those pieces, now you can buy Gold from the store. At that point you are grinding only for money which eventually starts coming out of your ears as opposed to grinding against one enemy and hoping for that 5% drop rate to trigger.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just starting on Mark of the Ninja: Remastered, and I'm very glad for how forgiving the checkpoint system is. Just beat the 2nd level, which has a timed optional mission, plus a 'don't get detected' optional mission, and I got both done even though I had to load a bunch of checkpoints. Even got the various 'super sneaky' chievos which to be honest I probably don't deserve.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The ending of Legends of Troy .

Along with standard cutscenes, the game has a lot of Greek-pottery style cutscenes and a narrator who sounds like he's telling the story around a campfire.

You play the final mission as Odysseus breaking into the city with the Trojan Horse. Everybody else you've played as is dead, Troy falls, there's a sweeping cutscene of the Greek fleet leaving as the narrator foreshadows the Odyssey, fade to black.

Then the narrator goes "Don't fall asleep just yet, there's a little more to the story." and the actual final chapter is unlocked where you play as Aeneas fighting your way out of Troy as it burns.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Byzantine posted:

The ending of Legends of Troy .

Along with standard cutscenes, the game has a lot of Greek-pottery style cutscenes and a narrator who sounds like he's telling the story around a campfire.

You play the final mission as Odysseus breaking into the city with the Trojan Horse. Everybody else you've played as is dead, Troy falls, there's a sweeping cutscene of the Greek fleet leaving as the narrator foreshadows the Odyssey, fade to black.

Then the narrator goes "Don't fall asleep just yet, there's a little more to the story." and the actual final chapter is unlocked where you play as Aeneas fighting your way out of Troy as it burns.

Yeah, that owns. Also love that the Trojan horse is messy as gently caress, it looks like it was cobbled from ship parts.

Also just wanted to show off a cool thing I like about Horizon: Zero Dawn's environment - there are many little touches that no one has any reason to see, like this "tree":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAsU3XJVGE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also in that video, I do love how HZD has a special animation for walking down a very steep slope.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of HZD, it's not a little thing, but I was a little choked up that at end all the friends I made along the way showed up to help me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's possible to walljump up to the naming ceremony location from the opening cinematic, and there is even unique in-game dialogue for it. I'm not sure why it was cut, probably for time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3fcror4gpk

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Speaking of HZD, it's not a little thing, but I was a little choked up that at end all the friends I made along the way showed up to help me.

Hell loving yeah, it makes doing the side quests feel really worthwhile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know people make fun of those moments but those almost universally end up being some of my favorite moments in games (and movies.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I know people make fun of those moments but those almost universally end up being some of my favorite moments in games (and movies.)

My favorite version of this was Persona 5, because they do it really organically.

Unlike in P3 and P4, they're not giving you energy for the final boss. Instead, by the end of the game you're in juvenile detention on trumped-up charges, and you get a montage of everyone you maxed out a confidant with doing their best to try to free you, to varying degrees of personal success. All of that effort, together, is what causes your charges to get dropped.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if you didn't max anyone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if you didn't max anyone?

Pretty sure you have to max the phantom theives

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Personas 4 and 5, and I think a few other games that do this, you have some that get achieved just through the game's critical path. In Persona 4 you max out both the Investigation Team and Teddie as part of the story rather than by choice, and in Persona 5 you automatically max Igor, Akechi, Morgana, and Sae the prosecutor. Obviously most of those don't help in getting charges against you dropped, but if nothing else at least you've got a lawyer on your side, so you getting out isn't super weird.

Honestly I feel like it'd be harder to not max out some relationships in Persona games, even just by accident. I remember not even wanting to max out Sun in P5, and yet he was my first just because he's around when not many others are and is really easy to talk to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Hell loving yeah, it makes doing the side quests feel really worthwhile
Okami did this moment really well, and it almost justifies how long and slow the game is.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I liked the way they did it in DOOM 1 & 2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I liked the way they did it in DOOM 1 & 2

Satre: It looks like the real hell was the people we met on the way!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I definitely raised my Affinity with the super shotgun to max.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Dragon Quest Builders did it with a pun with is the best way; after managing to beat the first phase of the last boss, he goes into his superpowered form and strips you of all your armor, items or anything you built, mockingly reminding that you're a nobody who only got this far by relying on your crafting - your character does not Level Up in this game - and leaving you stranded on an arena with a chasm, making you an easy target and him unreachable. The Goddess that has been guiding you through the game then chimes in, that along the journey you didn't just build structures but also friendships, and all characters from the various worlds you've been through begin teleporting through the fight, throwing you various items you've used during the game and defeating the Dragonlord as a team.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ImpAtom posted:

:same:

Banjo Kazooie....and now part of that finale is also their final smash. :kimchi:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In a symbolic gesture of Mass Effect 3's narrative failings as a whole, the "all your friends come to wish you well before the final battle" scene is bafflingly interrupted by you having to mow down a couple zombie reapers with a turret. It's like they didn't trust the player to go more than ten minutes just talking to people without some perfunctory combat thrown in there to punch things up a little.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Samuringa posted:

Dragon Quest Builders did it with a pun with is the best way; after managing to beat the first phase of the last boss, he goes into his superpowered form and strips you of all your armor, items or anything you built, mockingly reminding that you're a nobody who only got this far by relying on your crafting - your character does not Level Up in this game - and leaving you stranded on an arena with a chasm, making you an easy target and him unreachable. The Goddess that has been guiding you through the game then chimes in, that along the journey you didn't just build structures but also friendships, and all characters from the various worlds you've been through begin teleporting through the fight, throwing you various items you've used during the game and defeating the Dragonlord as a team.

DQ Builders 2's pun game is on-point too.

On the second island, the Khrumble-dun mines, there's a golem who used to be the town's protector and a golden golem, but was turned into a much weaker stone golem by The Madusa. The golem's name? Goldirox.

It'll take massive quantities of metal to restore the golem, so the player has to divide their focus between restoring the mines, and building up the town to keep the NPC miners motivated. Among the buildings you make are a simple watering hole, a swanky cabaret and finally a blinged-out pub to lure the Madusa in for a final confrontation.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is exactly why my loyalties veered away from FF and toward DQ. I love to see a series that doesn't take itself so drat seriously all the time. :allears:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

This is exactly why my loyalties veered away from FF and toward DQ. I love to see a series that doesn't take itself so drat seriously all the time. :allears:

Dragon Quest is like a warm hug from an old friend who loves to make rapid fire dad jokes. Final Fantasy is a group of middle aged people doing a fan dance on the subway right in front of you. Some of them are impressively good dancers and others are terrible but really committed to their terrible dance. No one can agree on which are which.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Also in that video, I do love how HZD has a special animation for walking down a very steep slope.

My favourite thing in LA Noire was the animation just for walking fast on stairs. It was a nice touch you never normally see in games

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HPanda posted:

Dragon Quest is like a warm hug from an old friend who loves to make rapid fire dad jokes. Final Fantasy is a group of middle aged people doing a fan dance on the subway right in front of you. Some of them are impressively good dancers and others are terrible but really committed to their terrible dance. No one can agree on which are which.

Honestly, that's not far off. My favorite thing about Final Fantasy as a series is that it's never half-assing anything; it doesn't matter if it's got a good idea, a bad one, or something so insane you can't quite tell its quality level, the most common trait of the whole series is that they put all their energy into it.

It makes for a series with a lot of variety and titles that almost always age really well; they all manage to hold up and be worth playing regardless of age because they're all trying something new and interesting. It also leads to a lot more variety in people's favorites, because they're all doing something well that the rest of the series isn't. Meanwhile you look at Zelda and favorites really only congregate in the same quarter or so of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
What, no. There's a wide range of favourites from the series, mostly between Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

And they're all wrong, the best is Majora.

I've been playing a lot of Cultist Simulator recently and while there is a lot to not like about it, the abstractness of the goals leads well to being completely mystifying, like you're delving into some real shiteach time.

Also I still get creeper out when I catch followers blinking out the corner of my eye