Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It feels kind of weird how uncertain everyone is about the actual game content here. I kind of suspect that sheer roster size is supposed to replace the customization missing from each individual character. Ex: if you treat the team as a single character with 4-16 active skills, then the hex grid makes sense and the linear development of individual characters becomes more acceptable.

E: and another thing! I feel like this game needs an Editor’s Commentary track, where instead of dudes talking it’s comic issue footnotes for every cryptic bit of comic book fan service callback

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I’m having fun with it but man, the camera is like aggressively bad. I have no idea how this made it out of play testing.

It wouldn’t be as awful if it didn’t lock you out of camera control at seemingly random times, leaving you with situations where you can’t see, and also can’t loving move the camera to fix the problem.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I think it's the hero cam, i played an early boss and it kept going under the floor, so I would jump and race to beat up the mook before the camera resettled under the level. I put it on classic and it's been fine so far.

Love that early hulk is a stagger beast

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kris xK posted:

Did previous MUAs have more than 4 abilities per hero? I'm pretty sure we got to pick which abilities we had.

Xmen Legends 2 had a lot more per character though you could only equip like, 3 + your ultimate. MUA I think was the same deal. Having only 4 for MUA3 is a step down from those but usually there were only ever like 6 or so good ones you'd use constantly anyway per character.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Threads surprisingly dead for a new Nintendo game. What a shame. Should’ve just ported MUA 1 or 2

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

DLC looking good.

Apparently coming September 30.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 19, 2019

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The discord is moving and shaking though. I think a lot of us are just enjoying ourselves there. We got a lot of goons who bought it and are waiting on their copies too!

Give it a few days and let’s see what happens. :)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Canned Panda posted:

DLC looking good.

Apparently coming September 30.

Putting Blade and Morbius on the same team together seems... odd but okay.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

The discord is moving and shaking though. I think a lot of us are just enjoying ourselves there. We got a lot of goons who bought it and are waiting on their copies too!

Give it a few days and let’s see what happens. :)

Which server is being used?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I've played through the first two chapters with my cousin and brother and I'm excited to say: game fun

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DLC Inc posted:

Xmen Legends 2 had a lot more per character though you could only equip like, 3 + your ultimate. MUA I think was the same deal. Having only 4 for MUA3 is a step down from those but usually there were only ever like 6 or so good ones you'd use constantly anyway per character.

I think MUA was only the four set skills but you had a choice to slot for your ultimate.

They kept party respective banter at least, right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Putting Blade and Morbius on the same team together seems... odd but okay.

Morbius and Blade (and Ghost Rider) were on the Midnight Sons together, so it checks out

IIRC, Morbius isn't a "real" vampire anyway

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Game is fun and good but I will not be satisfied until I get Moon King.

Also the game is about 500% easier in single player.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Day one patch is out.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/marvel_ultimate_alliance_3_the_black_order_receives_a_day_one_patch

Version 1.0.1 adds online multiplyer support, a DLC menu, and bonus costumes that you get if you get the DLC pass. Also fixes an issue with getting to enhancement points and other various bugs.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Which server is being used?

Right here friend. https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
edit just needed to restart

Gropey C fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 19, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Game will be delivered sometime today, but I’m out of town till next Tuesday. Excited to play when I get it though.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

99% of the time I'm playing my switch undocked - any else? I'm about to buy this I think but would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'll probably join in the goon fun starting next week. Gonna spend the weekend going through the story and figuring out who I like. I'd love to get some dedicated gimmick runs going with goons since you get so many save files.

karma_coma posted:

99% of the time I'm playing my switch undocked - any else? I'm about to buy this I think but would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on that.

I'm only undocked right now, no issues. I'm actually impressed with how clean the ui still looks

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 19, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thus far I've been flailing around with Wolverine and Thor in the same party and it's really really kickass, takes me back to the PS2 days.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Stagger abilities are too good. I have to run at least 1-2 heroes with a grade B, or higher, stagger ability and it is limiting team building potential because it feels just so necessary.

That said, I still feel like the teams I am able to build are cool and fun. So game is still good, despite that critique.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Squirrel Girl needs to be a character in this game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scarlet Witch is becoming my absolute favorite.

Also I'll hop on the Discord later and see what's up! Just exploring the game for a bit.

The camera isn't the best but that's just in Heroic Mode so Classic Mode is fine at least.

I wish Rocket and Groot were separate, but eh, you can technically have five characters with them on a team so that's fine.

Out of the Guardians though, Star Lord is fun to play. Spider-Man and the rest of the Spiders are pretty fun too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This game is surprisingly hard, especially if you switch characters around a lot. Having synergy attacks available early on helps a lot, but once everyone is level 20 they'll each have 4 possible powers to synergize with so you'll probably be good whoever you choose.
I'm rolling with the Defenders gang+Scarlet Witch right now and it works pretty well. Iron fist and Luke Cage do sooo much stagger damage.

Also anyone else think Ultron's voice doesn't fit him at all?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 20, 2019

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Am I alone in thinking that the stagger mechanic is kinda lame? Seeing Hulk smash a fool head-on and them not even reacting really, really sucks. In fact, there's no sense of force behind my attacks at all.

Meanwhile even the biggest hero gets tossed like ragdolls by random mook's attacks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Reallycoolname posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the stagger mechanic is kinda lame? Seeing Hulk smash a fool head-on and them not even reacting really, really sucks. In fact, there's no sense of force behind my attacks at all.

Meanwhile even the biggest hero gets tossed like ragdolls by random mook's attacks.

It also makes most light attacks against a boss completely pointless before depleting their stagger bar.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DLC Inc posted:

MUA3 makes up for it with the Synergy attacks, though. They actually have custom animations in a lot of cases.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the camera when playing with 4 player local coop is so bad it becomes hilarious

easily the worst videogame camera i can remember

fun game though

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Doc Ock has his PS4 game voice actor and it's really screwing with my mind to hear that voice doing classic Otto.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
All heroes traits and powers (plus synergy icons): https://imgur.com/a/XEgUpHO

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there any characters that have a buff for one of their abilities?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that Captain America's 4th skill is a teamwide damage buff.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 20, 2019

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
think Nintendo will let this one go on discount?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

John Romero posted:

think Nintendo will let this one go on discount?

It’s a Nintendo exclusive game and it’s a game using a Disney license. Outside of the holidays I’m gonna go with no

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s a Nintendo exclusive game and it’s a game using a Disney license. Outside of the holidays I’m gonna go with no

they are usually okay with games they partner with third parties on (sushi striker, the musou games) going on deep discount. Disney doesn't care as much, spider Man on PS4 has been $20 a few times now

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

RatHat posted:

Also anyone else think Ultron's voice doesn't fit him at all?

At first I was thrown only remembering the Spader version, but in the comics he's a digital evil Tony Stark\pym(?) so it makes sense.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DLC Inc posted:

Crystal's starting ability applies a fire elemental damage buff to the party if you level it up to 4. I wouldn't be surprised to learn she's got the same for ice later.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Handheld mode is total barf city in looks otherwise game is ok. It definitely plays like a musou game than a MUA game to me but I don’t know if others agree.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

How they gonna give Drax super strength but not Spiderman. What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
This game is loving awesome, a worthy successor. Played through the game to the end of Xavier School, with two buddies last night. The controls and abilities take a lot of getting used to, along with simply learning how your characters work. Once every player is savvy, the game really clicks and is extremely fun and rewarding.

There are definitely some moments with the camera where you’re like... what were they thinking?! But I think a lot of it has to do with how multiplayer works- you really need to stay toward the center of the screen. The new player who can barely keep track of his character is the one getting stuck at the edge of the screen because they’re going the wrong way, or attacking a dead enemy, or whatever, and then the camera hamstrings itself trying to keep everyone in frame. I have a feeling that playing console-to-console local multiplayer will become the ideal method of MP. Although I will say, once we all kinda realized this (and got better at the game) we stopped having problems with the camera.