Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

That guy who got the 600 f/4 should probably watch himself.
:suicide:

Lucky bastard. I'm amazed they're honouring that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

If anyone's interested, Ebay still has brand new Canon 5DS bodies for $1299.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Doesn't seem like such a good deal now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are there any cell phone lens attachments out there that are worth a poo poo? On our recent vacation my wife saw some people using them and expressed some interest in getting more zoom, but researching them has been a bit of a crapshoot as the typical photography gear reviewers seem to ignore them (which maybe tells me all I need to know).

I suggested she use our DSLR if she wanted more creative options but I got the impression she has no interest in using "the big camera."

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the moment lenses are supposed to be allright. Haven't actually tried any of them myself, but I vaguely remember reading a comparison review thing that liked them.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

What's the scoop on replacement batteries? Looking to buy 4 LP-E6N's and they're quite expensive when labeled with the Canon brand, but about a fourth of the price if I get non-Canon ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

powderific posted:

I think the moment lenses are supposed to be allright. Haven't actually tried any of them myself, but I vaguely remember reading a comparison review thing that liked them.

Someones selling a set of those in SA Mart at the moment in case anyone is interested.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Grimson posted:

What's the scoop on replacement batteries? Looking to buy 4 LP-E6N's and they're quite expensive when labeled with the Canon brand, but about a fourth of the price if I get non-Canon ones.

Wasabi batteries are mentioned a fair bit around here and I’ve been happy with the ones I bought.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

XBenedict posted:

If anyone's interested, Ebay still has brand new Canon 5DS bodies for $1299.

The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. Also the lack of in-body sensor stabilization means you have to be ultra steady or use a fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image.
Its dynamic range is literally worse than the 5D mark IV's while having an ancient AF system from the 5D3 era that's almost 7 years old.

Canon basically tricked people into buying the camera for blurry 50MP photos.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. Also the lack of in-body sensor stabilization means you have to be ultra steady or use a fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image.
Its dynamic range is literally worse than the 5D mark IV's while having an ancient AF system from the 5D3 era that's almost 7 years old.

Canon basically tricked people into buying the camera for blurry 50MP photos.

Ehhh... I don’t see people welding their APS sensor cameras to concrete blocks to avoid blurry images and they seem to do fine. Pixel density of the 5DS is about the same as a modern APS sensor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
First I was gonna get a Black Magic Cinema Camera Pocket 4K, then I had my mind settled on the Fuji XT3, and now I’ve been convinced to just get the Sony A7III. I plan to get the 100-300mm telephoto and the 55mm Zeiss 1.8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That new Sony is loving ridiculous. Canikon are screwed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gatts posted:

First I was gonna get a Black Magic Cinema Camera Pocket 4K, then I had my mind settled on the Fuji XT3, and now I’ve been convinced to just get the Sony A7III. I plan to get the 100-300mm telephoto and the 55mm Zeiss 1.8.

You should look at the Z6, which is getting a lot of praise for being a better video camera than the Sony. It can also be had for less than 2k.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Canikon are screwed.

Probably not tho.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Everyone here is extremely keen on Fuji and while I also own a A7iii and the 55 f/1.8 and would be happy recommending it to people who have the same needs/wants as me, it's definitely something where like if you're just doin the ol babyphoto/casual out and about/instagram/facebook stuff is probably going to be overkill if nothing else but for your wallet. You're not going to find the equiv. of a f/1.8 on Fuji without paying an equivalent or more in price and if that's what you want go for it, but on a Sony body that's still a cool $3k USD. vs. like, what 1.5k for the T3 body and 1k for that one f/1.2 lens (or of course, less for something not as wide open).

Do you primarily do stills? Video? What kind of regular conditions do you shoot in, and what of?

e: I should note I primarily do stills so if you're a videoperson I have near-zero experience with that side of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Probably not tho.

Well they deserve to be, doing business like it's 2000 where they're the only companies that matter while everyone else is rapidly eating into their user base.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you. I’m gonna be intending to use for YouTube channel for fun and travel. I’m going on a safari so I’ll be looking at a telephoto and prime.

I will also look at the Z6

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

xzzy posted:

Well they deserve to be, doing business like it's 2000 where they're the only companies that matter while everyone else is rapidly eating into their user base.

So you're saying the 2000 era of limited competition was bad...but we should return to it with Sony as head now? What?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ehhh... I don’t see people welding their APS sensor cameras to concrete blocks to avoid blurry images and they seem to do fine. Pixel density of the 5DS is about the same as a modern APS sensor.

Something else is going on with it then or just how big the full frame mirror is.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/9

quote:

At a high level, we see that in its default 'Single' drive mode paired with a 70-200 F2.8L IS II lens at longer focal lengths (200mm), mirror and shutter actuations can impact image sharpness at longer focal lengths at shutter speeds of 1/125s and slower. Turning IS on helps, but even then if you're hoping to get the sharpest hand-held images at longer focal lengths, you'll have to steer clear of shutter speeds 1/80s and slower at longer focal lengths. Notably, we consistently see the worst results around 1/60 - 1/50s, where the 5DS/R in default modes perform worse than the Nikon D810.

quote:

As should be clearly evident, mirror and shutter-induced shock can cause image softening and a double-image that would not result if the mirror and shutter actuations were removed from the equation (as they are in Live View).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

Something else is going on with it then or just how big the full frame mirror is.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/9

Go look at the review of the D810 where they bitch about the same issue.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/17

And there are similar complaints regarding the A7R:
https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/the-visibility-of-a7r-shutter-shock/

That doesn't mean you can't get fine hand held shots with any of these cameras, or that the 50MP is wasted somehow. Saying "The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. " is just ridiculous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

So you're saying the 2000 era of limited competition was bad...but we should return to it with Sony as head now? What?

lol don't be such a goon

The point is that canon and nikon need to modernize, and they aren't (especially canon). If they fix that, great. But if they don't they deserve whatever happens to them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Kalsco posted:

... 55 f/1.8 and would be happy recommending it to people ...

The chromatic aberration on the 55 f/1.8 is such a dumpster fire. I really wished Voigtlander scaled their 65 mm APO to between 40 and 55 mm. I don't even need macro or AF.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm going to give you my entire photography bio, but you can skip to the template for TL/DR:
I got an a6000 with the 16-50 kit lens about 2 years ago and have been having fun learning about photography on it. I've never been a visual arts type of person but as I'm getting older (34) I'm finding that I wish I had more pictures of fun stuff I'd done in the past. My goals are just shooting your typical parties, friends, family events, and trips. I would also like to get more confident in it, because I honestly feel like I'm trying to ask out a supermodel every time I use this thing. I live in Los Angeles and am finding myself in situations where I wish I had more skill and am actually thinking about maybe finding a class or something so I can get some hands on practice, I'm not a great internet learner.

I've gone on one trip to Mexico City with it and I borrowed a friends SELP18105G to use since I decided I needed more than 55mm and I loved using it (i was told its a great zoom lens because it locks at f4). I've also picked up the Sony SEL50F18 and SEL35F18 and decided that I'd never use the 50 and traded it yesterday for the SEL20F28.

So now I have the opportunity to pick up an a6400 and certain Sony lens' at a discount so I'm going to sell my a6000 (and yes if you're interested shoot me a gmail, same username) but I'm not sure what a6400 package to go for to end up with a kit that will fill my needs.

TL/DR:
What you are looking to buy: a6400 (body only, 16-50 lens, or the 18-135) and 1 more lens if the kit 18-135 sucks, Ill get the body only, or the cheaper kit and 1 nice zoom, preferably with OSS for vids) if the Kit zoom IS pretty good, then I could invest in another prime, but I'm not sure what to go for.
Budget: if I buy a different zoom lens to fill in the kit 18-135 I don't want to spend more than 1k msrp
Your photo gear you already have: a6000 with kit 16-50, 20mm, 35mm.
What you plan on using your purchase for: travel, parties, videos
What you find limiting about what you have now: I have no zoom over the kit 16-50, and while I LOVE how compact it is when not in use, I really need something that will zoom more when I'm traveling. When I'm just at parties I can either use it or a prime (I know I should be training myself to use the prime, but it's so easy to use the kit with intelligent auto mode) As far as the camera goes I really am used to using my cell phone to target where to focus and I really like the fact the a6400 has that, also the flip around screen to take selfies is nice for the me and the GF.

Here are some BestBuy links to zoom lenses I was thinking about getting if you all tell me the kit 18-135 should be skipped:
This is the one I borrowed and seems to hit my points and NOT be rediculously expensive, but it's big and heavy and kinda defeats the point of the small camera https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-e-pz-18-105mm-f-4-0-g-oss-power-zoom-lens-for-select-sony-e-mount-cameras-black/7887254.p?skuId=7887254

These are other options I can get at a nice discount.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-vario-tessar-t-e-16-70mm-f-4-za-oss-zoom-lens-for-select-sony-cameras-black/5638004.p?skuId=5638004
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-compact-e-mount-standard-zoom-lens-black/5622838.p?skuId=5622838
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-g-oss-standard-zoom-lens-for-sony-e-mount-cameras-black/6155100.p?skuId=6155100
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-24-70mm-f-4-zoom-lens-for-most-sony-a7-series-cameras-black/4451009.p?skuId=4451009
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-power-zoom-e-mount-standard-zoom-lens-black/7961084.p?skuId=7961084

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 20, 2019

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

xzzy posted:

lol don't be such a goon

The point is that canon and nikon need to modernize, and they aren't (especially canon). If they fix that, great. But if they don't they deserve whatever happens to them.

Nikon have just released 2 mirrorless cameras with a brand new lens mount. What exactly do you want?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Nikon have just released 2 mirrorless cameras with a brand new lens mount. What exactly do you want?

Stop trying to argue logic with a Sony phanboy. It will only end in tears.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

The chromatic aberration on the 55 f/1.8 is such a dumpster fire. I really wished Voigtlander scaled their 65 mm APO to between 40 and 55 mm. I don't even need macro or AF.

Yeeaaaah. Unfortunately you've like zero native AF options that don't suffer from longitudinal CA or aren't significantly larger within a similar focal length (here's to you, Sigma). Manual and the world is your oyster but I ain't there.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Kalsco posted:

Yeeaaaah. Unfortunately you've like zero native AF options that don't suffer from longitudinal CA or aren't significantly larger within a similar focal length (here's to you, Sigma). Manual and the world is your oyster but I ain't there.

Which native MF lens has the lowest LoCA at 40-55mm while still being competitive in sharpness?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Which native MF lens has the lowest LoCA at 40-55mm while still being competitive in sharpness?

Oh I've zero familiarity with MF stuff. I'm just referring to if you don't care about the principal benefit of native glass (i.e. AF being quuuuite as fast for particular lenses) you can just adapt to whatever lens is a good performer outside of the Sony ecosystem and treat it as a MF regardless of it actually being so. I do want and frequently use a snappy AF for my nifty fifty so alas compromises were made.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Two card slots? I thought Nikon's mirrorless offerings got beat to poo poo in reviews.

XBenedict posted:

Stop trying to argue logic with a Sony phanboy. It will only end in tears.

Fine I'll talk about the completely absurd bodies Fujifilm launched. :v:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Zs were pretty favorably reviewed from what I saw? They aren't perfect, but much like the D750, which they sold a lot of for a long time, a lot of things about them feel good and work well even if the overall package doesn't make for the ultimate spec sheet. AF isn't at Sony's or their own DSLR level, but otherwise they're really solid. The biggest issues is that it's a new mount so there aren't many lenses out yet so they might not make sense unless you either have a lot of f-mount glass already or just like the feel that much.

I've never bothered with two card slots myself, but I can understand why people would want it. I imagine they'll come out with a bigger body that has them at some point.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Two card slots? I thought Nikon's mirrorless offerings got beat to poo poo in reviews.

Are you a one-armed photographer or do you just constantly shoot on continuous? Is it really that hard to change a card? What is it, like 15 seconds?

Surely you have other complaints, friend, because this isn't really one.

xzzy posted:

Fine I'll talk about the completely absurd bodies Fujifilm launched. :v:

:laffo:

This is only absurd Fuji body that I can think of.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Usually dual card slots is more about having a backup in camera or workflows where jpegs go on one and raw on another.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Kalsco posted:

Oh I've zero familiarity with MF stuff. I'm just referring to if you don't care about the principal benefit of native glass (i.e. AF being quuuuite as fast for particular lenses) you can just adapt to whatever lens is a good performer outside of the Sony ecosystem and treat it as a MF regardless of it actually being so. I do want and frequently use a snappy AF for my nifty fifty so alas compromises were made.

Got it. The 65 mm Voigtlander APO Lanthar was amazing in terms of LoCA, and it was native. But the focal length was awkward, and the sealing was sketchy as well. Every time I removed the lens, I could see dust on the sensor, and I saw this with no other lens I had. I have since then replaced it with a 40 mm Voitlander Nokton, which so far has been very pleasant. But you are right, AF is very handy sometimes, so I am also holding on to my 55 mm f/1.8.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Go look at the review of the D810 where they bitch about the same issue.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/17

And there are similar complaints regarding the A7R:
https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/the-visibility-of-a7r-shutter-shock/

That doesn't mean you can't get fine hand held shots with any of these cameras, or that the 50MP is wasted somehow. Saying "The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. " is just ridiculous.
After looking at it a bit more, you are right that you can still get decent image out of it. Just that you need to pay more attention to it than the lower MP bodies with higher shutter speed in general.

Still not as good as the bodies with IBIS that does better with regular shooting style though.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Nitramster posted:

TL/DR:
What you are looking to buy: a6400 (body only, 16-50 lens, or the 18-135) and 1 more lens if the kit 18-135 sucks, Ill get the body only, or the cheaper kit and 1 nice zoom, preferably with OSS for vids) if the Kit zoom IS pretty good, then I could invest in another prime, but I'm not sure what to go for.
Budget: if I buy a different zoom lens to fill in the kit 18-135 I don't want to spend more than 1k msrp
Your photo gear you already have: a6000 with kit 16-50, 20mm, 35mm.
What you plan on using your purchase for: travel, parties, videos
What you find limiting about what you have now: I have no zoom over the kit 16-50, and while I LOVE how compact it is when not in use, I really need something that will zoom more when I'm traveling. When I'm just at parties I can either use it or a prime (I know I should be training myself to use the prime, but it's so easy to use the kit with intelligent auto mode) As far as the camera goes I really am used to using my cell phone to target where to focus and I really like the fact the a6400 has that, also the flip around screen to take selfies is nice for the me and the GF.

Here are some BestBuy links to zoom lenses I was thinking about getting if you all tell me the kit 18-135 should be skipped:
This is the one I borrowed and seems to hit my points and NOT be rediculously expensive, but it's big and heavy and kinda defeats the point of the small camera https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-e-pz-18-105mm-f-4-0-g-oss-power-zoom-lens-for-select-sony-e-mount-cameras-black/7887254.p?skuId=7887254

I'm no expert, but if you like the 18105, the 18135 is very similar. The 18105 seems a bit sharper past 70mm, and has constant 4. The 18135 is sharper below 70mm, and is a bit smaller when off. The reviewer recommended the 18105 if you do more video work (no changing aperature/brightness when zooming), or low light zoom (concerts). Otherwise the 18135 is going to be nicer in most situations. But unless you go side by side pixel peeping, you won't likely notice the difference. If you do go the kit route, often the lens is a fraction of the cost on it's own. So if you don't like it, or use it, it would be very easy to sell it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXNX7o8HAQ

I do find both massive compared to the kit 16-50 though, so I'd still use that for casual/travel stuff. I don't really know of any compact zoom lenses for the Sony.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 22, 2019

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

After looking at it a bit more, you are right that you can still get decent image out of it. Just that you need to pay more attention to it than the lower MP bodies with higher shutter speed in general.

Still not as good as the bodies with IBIS that does better with regular shooting style though.

IBIS is definitely nice to have and helps in getting sharper results in many situations.

Regarding shutter speed overall, we are fortunate that modern sensors perform so well that it's no longer a big issue to bump the ISO a stop or two to reduce shutter speed. Easier to get rid of noise than blur.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Golluk posted:

I'm no expert, but if you like the 18105, the 18135 is very similar. The 18105 seems a bit sharper past 70mm, and has constant 4. The 18135 is sharper below 70mm, and is a bit smaller when off. The reviewer recommended the 18105 if you do more video work (no changing aperature/brightness when zooming), or low light zoom (concerts). Otherwise the 18135 is going to be nicer in most situations. But unless you go side by side pixel peeping, you won't likely notice the difference. If you do go the kit route, often the lens is a fraction of the cost on it's own. So if you don't like it, or use it, it would be very easy to sell it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXNX7o8HAQ

I do find both massive compared to the kit 16-50 though, so I'd still use that for casual/travel stuff. I don't really know of any compact zoom lenses for the Sony.

Thank you so much for finding that video for me, I think I'll be getting the 6400 with the 18135 for my travel lens needs, since prefer the lighter weight and size and don't shoot too much video where I'd need to zoom.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ordered a black leatherette from Aki Asahi for my Coolpix. He also sent me a freebie one to practice with, but I ended up liking it so much it's staying on there. Maybe we need a Stupid Camera poo poo thread.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ordered a black leatherette from Aki Asahi for my Coolpix. He also sent me a freebie one to practice with, but I ended up liking it so much it's staying on there. Maybe we need a Stupid Camera poo poo thread.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Nice coolpix it’s a great camera unless it gets dusty