Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heathen posted:

In the decade plus that Harry Potter was hot poo poo I don't recall Marvel ever trying to cash in on that. Doctor Strange as Dumbledore, Doom as Voldemort and a menagerie of guest stars as guest lecturers. Scarlet Witch, Magik, etc... You'd think a magic version of the Xavier School would be a no brainer.

Wolverine and the X-Men, maybe? Although the fad was a bit past its prime when that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men, maybe? Although the fad was a bit past its prime when that happened.

I think they meant making a book like that, but about Marvel magic characters. But there's not that many kid magicians.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I think they meant making a book like that, but about Marvel magic characters. But there's not that many kid magicians.

Dennis Hopeless has talked about how his original pitch that became Avengers Arena was supposed to focus on the Braddock Academy and introduce a bunch more 'schools for young supers,' one of which (I think, I could be mistaken) was meant to be pretty magic-focused and Hogwarts-y; characters from each school would be kidnapped by Arcade and set up to go all Battle Royale and the editor he was dealing with pointed at that bit, intended for issues, like, 8-12, and said "no, this right here is the story we're interested in."

EDIT: Come to think on it the book that introduced one of the waves of New Mutant Students (Academy X, I think? The one where Hellion and Rockslide and Elixir all came from) had a sort of Hogwarts-ish setup, what with the students being divided into houses teams based on their mentors and attitudes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rip wasp, so good marvel editorial hated you to the point it brought you back to cancel you out of spite

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

EDIT: Come to think on it the book that introduced one of the waves of New Mutant Students (Academy X, I think? The one where Hellion and Rockslide and Elixir all came from) had a sort of Hogwarts-ish setup, what with the students being divided into houses teams based on their mentors and attitudes.

This was such a good book and I curse Kyle and Yost for what they did to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

This was such a good book and I curse Kyle and Yost for what they did to it.

They made the best out of a bad situation, the editorial removal of most mutants.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

They made the best out of a bad situation, the editorial removal of most mutants.

I always wondered whose notion it was to have their inciting incident be 'teenagers stacked like cordwood.'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Academy X was terminally boring and consisted of reams of bad teenager plotlines ripped right from lesser episodes of Degrassi. The thrilling two parter about a nonsense future vision where Prodigy was an evil president was the only attempt to do anything remotely suyperheroy, and it stank too.

The popular characters from that generation with the exception of Surge and arguably Hellion (Elixir, Prodigy, Anole, Rockslide, Pixie) didn't have anything resembling motivations or personalities until Kyle and Yost took over.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 19, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Academy X was terminally boring and consisted of reams of bad teenager plotlines ripped right from lesser episodes of Degrassi. The thrilling two parter about a nonsense future vision where Prodigy was an evil president was the only attempt to do anything remotely suyperheroy, and it stank too.

The popular characters from that generation with the exception of Surge and arguably Hellion (Elixir, Prodigy, Anole, Rockslide, Pixie) didn't have anything resembling motivations or personalities until Kyle and Yost took over.

Who the gently caress is Surge? (Tellingly I actually know who every single other person you mentioned is).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Who the gently caress is Surge? (Tellingly I actually know who every single other person you mentioned is).

SOmething about caffeine activated mutant powers?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Japanese girl, blue hair, metal gauntlets, electricity powers.

She was a fairly prominent part of that whole group.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Surge was in a video game - which, granted, was X-Men Destiny a very bad video game but still - which recognizability-wise still puts her above pretty much everyone else from the Academy X generation except Pixie (who was also in that game and appeared on the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon) and X-23 (obviously)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Amazing Mary Jane

https://www.newsarama.com/46139-face-it-tiger-you-re-getting-an-amazing-mary-jane-title.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kinda weird this hasn't happened before, and can't help but wonder if it's in response to DC putting out Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics.

Edit: Also meant to say that new Leah Williams comics is a good thing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 19, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Kinda weird this hasn't happened before, and can't help but wonder if it's in response to DC putting out Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics.

Edit: Also meant to say that new Leah Williams comics is a good thing.

Wasn't interested until you said Leah Williams was behind it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:toot:

I'm digging this.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

when's MJ gonna start vaping

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parallax posted:

when's MJ gonna start vaping

She already quit smoking, so hopefully never.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

to be fair Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics aren't new, even if there was a hiatus and the tone has changed (at least for Lois)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

to be fair Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics aren't new, even if there was a hiatus and the tone has changed (at least for Lois)

I absolutely knew about those, I was slightly surprised they hadn't done the same for MJ before and was wondering if the revival of those books at DC spurred this on. Like Kirby worked on Jimmy Olsen after he left Marvel so these books were contemporary with Spider-Man, I don't know if MJ was on the scene yet, but Betty Brant and Gwen Stacy had potential for solo books back then

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not exactly the same thing, but Marvel did about forty issues of Mary Jane centric comics in the mid-2000s in a series of Mary Jane mini-series and the "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane" ongoing series. They all took place out of continuity where Peter/MJ/Flash/Harry/Gwen/etc. were still in high school. They also did a couple of YA novels around the same time that were set in the Ultimate universe but written from MJ's perspective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That series was mostly fantastic, I still flip through those HCs occasionally.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Leah Williams writing a Mary Jane miniseries and Jed McKay writing a Spider-Verse one are pretty much all I needed to hear to be glad with the SDCC announcements. I'm really looking forward to both books (the Doctor Doom one written by the Halt and Catch Fire writer and drawn by Larroca has me slightly worried)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.newsarama.com/46138-marvel-returning-to-2099-in-a-big-way.html

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

That series was mostly fantastic, I still flip through those HCs occasionally.

That reminds me for a while Sean McKeever felt like THE dude for writing teens in comics at the time before he then left to go work at some video game company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, he left Marvel on a hot streak and went to DC and wrote the WORST run of Teen Titans in the franchise history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, he left Marvel on a hot streak and went to DC and wrote the WORST run of Teen Titans in the franchise history.

How loving bad is it if it's the worst titans run? That's gotta be some Sam Neil in event horizon poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

How loving bad is it if it's the worst titans run? That's gotta be some Sam Neil in event horizon poo poo.

Oh my dude, you sweet innocent soul.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Oh my dude, you sweet innocent soul.

Didn't it feature Marv and Wendy being mauled by Wonder Dog?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New X-Men titles being announced?

X-O posted:

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1152296060837982209

XMEN
MARAUDERS
EXCALIBUR
XFORCE
NEWMUTANTS
FALLENANGELS

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That was the run that somehow topped Johns latter half run of Titans getting amputated right? I seem to recall it was after Connor was blowed up real good in the garbage that is Infinite Crisis, and they brought in Match.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chip Motherfuckin' Zdarsky is now an Eisner Award winning funny book writer. And for a tiny moment all is right in the world. He won best single issue for Peter Parker #310 which is probably one of the greatest issues of Spider-Man I've ever read.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1152595718734880768

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1152596982038269954

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Chip Motherfuckin' Zdarsky is now an Eisner Award winning funny book writer. And for a tiny moment all is right in the world. He won best single issue for Peter Parker #310 which is probably one of the greatest issues of Spider-Man I've ever read.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1152595718734880768

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1152596982038269954

Didn’t he already win for sex criminal and jughead?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn’t he already win for sex criminal and jughead?

One was as artist on best new series and one was a team effort humor publication thing. This is the first for his actual writing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

X-O posted:

New X-Men titles being announced?

Awe, I was getting myself excited that they would change the name of the team to drop the "Men" out of the name.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IUG posted:

Awe, I was getting myself excited that they would change the name of the team to drop the "Men" out of the name.

X-Men is way too valuable as a brand to do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

After almost 60 years that's just not going to happen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've gotta admit, after Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon, I was kind of skeptical of another Spider-Verse book but after Into The Spider-Verse, I'm game. Vulpes writing it is a definite selling point. Plus it's got Spiderling in it.

It feels weird to be actively excited for Spider-Man books, even after a year of Spencer's run, Ahmed's run on Miles, and FNSM.

Edit: also looks like the Spider-Family are getting another story in Marvel Comics #1001:
https://twitter.com/TheMarvelReport/status/1152312632784744448

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 20, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That's a bold statement when Scott Lobdell is in the running. What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He created the Face.