Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

George Kansas posted:

Just came back to this game and drat, it's really fun.

Don't know if there's consensus here, but if I wanted to have a tank character, what would be the easiest class to tank PvE? I'm not familiar with tanking in most MMO's and was curious if it would just be DK or if another class was even easier.

edit: maybe easiest is the wrong term... maybe more like most accessible?

Anything can be built to tank really, but maybe Dragon Knight is the most straightforward? I find DK fun to play as well, both Stam and Magk versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I really like being a necromancer tank. If that's not an option for you, DK is fun too, but necro tanking is a good time.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I highly recommend anyone on PC to install Plushenko's Reshade for ESO. Huge visual improvement for the game with no FPS hit as far as I can tell.

https://www.nexusmods.com/elderscrollsonline/mods/127/

I also like Votan's Darker Nights for a more immersive and obviously darker night.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1558-VotansDarkerNights.html

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

doomfunk posted:

I really like being a necromancer tank. If that's not an option for you, DK is fun too, but necro tanking is a good time.

I have the first two chapters but not the third, but definitely thinking about getting it just to roll a necro tank, even if I won't do the content for a while.

I ended up making a DK and it's a lot of fun so far, haven't done any dungeons but it's very accessible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mustang posted:

I highly recommend anyone on PC to install Plushenko's Reshade for ESO. Huge visual improvement for the game with no FPS hit as far as I can tell.

I also like Votan's Darker Nights for a more immersive and obviously darker night.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1558-VotansDarkerNights.html

These sound great, thanks

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

George Kansas posted:

Just came back to this game and drat, it's really fun.

Don't know if there's consensus here, but if I wanted to have a tank character, what would be the easiest class to tank PvE? I'm not familiar with tanking in most MMO's and was curious if it would just be DK or if another class was even easier.

edit: maybe easiest is the wrong term... maybe more like most accessible?

Stamina DK is probably the most accessible tank, since the class has a lot of built-in tanking skills (CC, group shields and damage buffs) and a ton of survivability and sustain from class passives.

Necro tank sounds fun, still waiting for an elsweyr sale tho.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mustang posted:

I really wanted to like this, but despite playing with gamma, extra options and trying all the presets, I can't find a setting that doesn't hurt my eyes after playing for 5 minutes.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you want to mess with graphics ESO is compatible with Nvidia Freestyle so if you have an Nvidia card press alt +z and you can add different filters, effects, and color/contrast adjustments. I find the default game way too washed out so turning up the saturation/vibrancy really helps.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

If you want to mess with graphics ESO is compatible with Nvidia Freestyle so if you have an Nvidia card press alt +z and you can add different filters, effects, and color/contrast adjustments. I find the default game way too washed out so turning up the saturation/vibrancy really helps.

thank you, this is such a good tip. just turned vibrance up and it looks so so so much better.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just made a Templar intending to try and balance damage with healing, but the more I play through the tutorial I realize the more I probably just want to blast things to pieces. Am I better off with a magicka sorcerer?

E: What I was really wanting to do was a Chloromancer type thing (from Rift) where you heal your friends by doing damage to the mobs. Is this possible?

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 23, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You can still blast things to pieces very well as a Templar. If you'd rather your blasting be lightning-themed, go with sorcerer, and if you'd rather it be fire-themed, go with dragonknight. I think the magicka DPS is fun for all of these classes.

iddqd posted:

E: What I was really wanting to do was a Chloromancer type thing (from Rift) where you heal your friends by doing damage to the mobs. Is this possible?

Nightblade has a whole skill tree devoted to this, though it's not as powerful as it used to be. I think it's still viable, but the way the skill morphs work now, you have a choice between being a great healer/average DPS or average healer/great DPS, when you used to be able to be great at both.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 23, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I bought Elsweyr for 30-something bucks a few weeks ago, so obviously it's on sale for 20 bucks now:
https://www.macgamestore.com/product/10104/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Elsweyr-Upgrade/
https://www.gamebillet.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-elsweyr-upgrade?affiliate=1c8adfeb-78f3-4d89-9a91-5b697ec73e37

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Not that it will be noticeable, but I will be gone for work for the next week or so. I have 7(?) lvl 50's in various states of disarray and gearing and might want to focus a bit more on group content in August. Even do some trials n such. I would also like to try some BG using Discord or whatever maybe? Let me know if you might be down for any of that next month...

I typically pretty reclusive so there is a lot of content I have not played and would like to now I think. Also, generally speaking really enjoying BG as a PvP experience. I will do open world (prefer no CP), but I like BG and Imperial City a lot better due to lag issues. I really dislike having resources, pressing appropriate buttons and just dying in some mysterious, animation free time gap.

...also, I am close to 9 traits on everything. Finishing up some cloth and weapons... jewelry. That sort of thing. So I can make most sets, aside from jewelry. Jewelry and remaining Nirhone/Ninrcrux traits should be done next month-ish. Might work on getting more motifs.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yo, what's a good solo build? i play at odd hours so i can't really depend on others

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

yo, what's a good solo build? i play at odd hours so i can't really depend on others

Petsorc

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

Petsorc

ty

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
christ this patcher takes forever

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

For me, Nord Templar is an easy solo tank. My Templar is as good with 2H weapons as he is with dual-wielding. The skill (forgot the name) where you stand still and pray is great. You get your health back while the bad guys smack you. Looks weird, but kinda fun.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to the keynote at QuakeCon this weekend? I think it’s going to be streamed online as well and comes with some kind of digital loot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

iddqd posted:

Anyone going to the keynote at QuakeCon this weekend? I think it’s going to be streamed online as well and comes with some kind of digital loot.

I went to the "dueling tournament" today and uh

https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearAntsyOstrichJonCarnage

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

From the QuakeCon Keynote today:

The big takeaway from this is if you plan on playing the game beyond Q1 2020 you'll have to redownload it completely during that period.

The timeline looks promising if they can actually pull it off, and it might just revive the dying PvP scene because lol @ AoC/CU or any other mmo being released in a reasonable timeframe.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
That all looks really positive if they can pull it off. I guess maybe a bunch of people will do the Vanilla WoW or Classic or whatever that is happening this month. I never liked WoW.

I am finding myself a bit frustrated trying to understand these upcoming changes in the next patch. Some of that is just resistance I think since I was finally landing on a couple of builds I liked and could play and it seems that might change. I tend to be more single target DoTs in PvP anyway, bummed about nerfing (the truly OP) Molten Whip stack... confused about healing. My 'mains' have become a Magplar and MagDk. Guess I need to turn my StamDK into a tank or something. I know it’s cheesy, but I like the proposed ability to pick up skill lines I have completed on another character.

When is Scalecaller supposed to be implemented?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Grabbed this during the sale. Can I get a guild invite? Name's @literallyaghost in game. NA servers.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Can I get back in Chill Bros? My in game thing is @turk1701

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Can I get a guild invitation? @TK-8325

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

More details about the perf changes...
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

quote:

Account Database “Cold Storage”
- There are millions of accounts in our database. The goal of this task is to split the character database into “active” and “inactive” shards to remove the need to pool all the character records for all logins
- User Experience: Faster account login and character loads
NOTE: Players logging in for the first time after being inactive for a few years will notice an initial longer load while their account is transferred from inactive to active

I CANNOT BELIEVE an MMO made it past like, year 2 without this feature. Holy poo poo. So my character and account were 'hot' and ready for login for 5 years until I actually started playing ESO? Big yikes

Makes me feel a lot better about our tech debt at work.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I mean for a big studio this mmo is actually pretty loving bad tbh - BUT compared to some other mmos it's much better. Issue is we only have 3-4 really good mmos around now, and the rest are either too small or niche to compete against the likes of WoW/FF/ESO so devs just don't give a drat.

The game is really fun when you're playing it like a single-player game, or an rpg with the occasional friend, but once you decide to transition into the end-game side of this game you'll start noticing the huge performance issues and it'll just turn you off big time.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I have zero performance issues in PvE endgame (dungeons, trials, etc) but Cyrodiil (particularly the Vivec campaign) is a massive shitshow. It's great fun when it works, but it doesn't work worth a poo poo 95% of the time. I tend to limit my Cyrodiil time to weekend mornings these days - still populated, lots of fights, less lag. Primetime is basically unplayable.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

JadaX posted:

I mean for a big studio this mmo is actually pretty loving bad tbh - BUT compared to some other mmos it's much better. Issue is we only have 3-4 really good mmos around now, and the rest are either too small or niche to compete against the likes of WoW/FF/ESO so devs just don't give a drat.

The game is really fun when you're playing it like a single-player game, or an rpg with the occasional friend, but once you decide to transition into the end-game side of this game you'll start noticing the huge performance issues and it'll just turn you off big time.

Beefeater posted:

I have zero performance issues in PvE endgame (dungeons, trials, etc) but Cyrodiil (particularly the Vivec campaign) is a massive shitshow. It's great fun when it works, but it doesn't work worth a poo poo 95% of the time. I tend to limit my Cyrodiil time to weekend mornings these days - still populated, lots of fights, less lag. Primetime is basically unplayable.

Cyrodiil is the worst goddamn thing in the game for this but Jadax is right, too. In fact, he used to be on my core team and probably vividly remembers teleporting around in vAS, not because of a skill like Streak, mind you, but just because of how poo poo it ran after about 10 mins every single run. vMoL gets pretty messy as well, and vHoF used to be the worst loving thing in the game until they nuked a buncha poo poo in there and now it's about the same or better than vMoL. Also LOL at the last boss in HRC. Once he busts the wall out I'm just in the back hoping I don't get hit by invisible fireballs and just do my rotation based on "this skill should go off, who knows, gently caress it".

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
I used to get angry about the colossally loving stupid changes that the combat team has implemented (homogenization of classes, faction locks, making healing irrelevant, etc etc) but I have finally reached some zen catharsis where I realize it has always been this way and I can continue popping in to a vet trial once or twice a week until my willingness to even remember my log in credentials escapes me as my mind atrophies and I just revert to playing 30 year text based rpgs from usenet.

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
Please add me to the guild @oakinshlong

Very interested in buying metal for crafting.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

DoriDori240 posted:

I used to get angry about the colossally loving stupid changes that the combat team has implemented (homogenization of classes, faction locks, making healing irrelevant, etc etc) but I have finally reached some zen catharsis where I realize it has always been this way and I can continue popping in to a vet trial once or twice a week until my willingness to even remember my log in credentials escapes me as my mind atrophies and I just revert to playing 30 year text based rpgs from usenet.

I envy your Nirvana, Brother Dori.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
If you think healers are irrelevant now wait till next patch (if the changes go through).

Our group is probably going to try dropping the healers and get stam to run vigor + preservation. Maybe have OT throw in orbs on cd. If that doesn't work 1 stam hybrid healer. As it is support roles are a carry in good groups (tanks just need to aggro and not die for 5-10mins, healers need to keep buffs up and spam orbs for 5-10mins), and with the upcoming changes healing will definitely be the most boring role in the game. Even with our crappy 350+ ping Asian/Aussie group, boss fights rarely last longer than 15mins (unless it's vSS where we're still progressing like noobs).

Game is a meme tbh.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 31, 2019

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

JadaX posted:

Our group is probably going to try dropping the healers and get stam to run vigor + preservation. Maybe have OT throw in orbs on cd. If that doesn't work 1 stam hybrid healer.

This is, in a nutshell, why end game in this piece of poo poo is absolute rear end. I'm pretty sure that echoing Vigor is getting nerfed in one of the next two PTS cycles before the update actually launches, and it still will not matter. Healing and Tanking were not the issue, retardedly high DPS is still the problem. 9-10 Stamcros and a pair of tanks, gg.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Yeah, this patch overall is awfully confusing. The class homogenization is brutal. I'm dropping my magplar because the new rotation for really any magicka DPS uses nearly all the same skills and looks boring as gently caress in practice. Stamina DPS was going much the same route with vMA dual wield becoming best-in-slot by a country mile, but they nerfed them last PTS patch.

And as mentioned, healers are getting the shaft hard. I'm curious to know what the endgame is here.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Ehh...I honestly missed when there were more buff roles required. I mean as far as sets and skills go. You'd have a stamboi in NMG, another in Sunderflame, a stamblade in war machine, etc, DPS still was not anything like it was now, about half in fact. You could not burn through every mechanic. My first clear of vMOL was on console and we had to do lunar phase, which was pretty typical. Now you have pad 3 burns in HM. I am happy that stam is getting more love, but realistically its Stamnecro above everything else. Magplar is still going to be good, but the rest of the mag classes are pretty much poo poo in comparison to Stam. I think they are going to have a tough road ahead sorting out a cohesive plan of action with respect to classes and roles. Of course, as I said in my post yesterday, it has been this way for two years...endless meta shifting, buff/nerf, BIS/useless gear keystone cops routine. By the fall update, half of what is bis now will be nerfed, and nerfs will get buffed to be better than the pre-nerfs. At least we can rely on Magden to remain poo poo in pve dps...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just logged in and looking at the daily rewards, is there a reason logging in 25 days this month gives us 100k in gold while the highest amount in July was like 5k?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Just logged in and looking at the daily rewards, is there a reason logging in 25 days this month gives us 100k in gold while the highest amount in July was like 5k?

They cycle through the 100k as a prize every few months. It's the big "get to week 3 and get the MEGABONUS" thing.

Beefeater posted:

Yeah, this patch overall is awfully confusing. The class homogenization is brutal. I'm dropping my magplar because the new rotation for really any magicka DPS uses nearly all the same skills and looks boring as gently caress in practice. Stamina DPS was going much the same route with vMA dual wield becoming best-in-slot by a country mile, but they nerfed them last PTS patch.

And as mentioned, healers are getting the shaft hard. I'm curious to know what the endgame is here.

DoriDori240 posted:

Ehh...I honestly missed when there were more buff roles required. I mean as far as sets and skills go. You'd have a stamboi in NMG, another in Sunderflame, a stamblade in war machine, etc, DPS still was not anything like it was now, about half in fact. You could not burn through every mechanic. My first clear of vMOL was on console and we had to do lunar phase, which was pretty typical. Now you have pad 3 burns in HM. I am happy that stam is getting more love, but realistically its Stamnecro above everything else. Magplar is still going to be good, but the rest of the mag classes are pretty much poo poo in comparison to Stam. I think they are going to have a tough road ahead sorting out a cohesive plan of action with respect to classes and roles. Of course, as I said in my post yesterday, it has been this way for two years...endless meta shifting, buff/nerf, BIS/useless gear keystone cops routine. By the fall update, half of what is bis now will be nerfed, and nerfs will get buffed to be better than the pre-nerfs. At least we can rely on Magden to remain poo poo in pve dps...

This is all true. Everything both of you wrote. Class toolkits need to be re-buffed into being unique and cool, set variety needs to come back. I never minded being the buff bitch in certain raids because it changed the playstyle depending on what sets you were wearing and what class you were. poo poo like that is cool and keeps DPS reasonable. This coming patch is gonna see groups pushing 1.5 mil DPS on bosses if the necros are well-coordinated with ults. That's just batshit insane.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pfft, stamsorcs in pvp have been this way for years, i'm used to having a lovely toolkit by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Pfft, stamsorcs in pvp have been this way for years, i'm used to having a lovely toolkit by now.

To me that was always the one place they DID have an identity until a few patches ago. Pulling NBs out of cloak with Hurricane, Streaking through groups to whip around and drop a DB, zipping around with burst combos, etc. You're right though that they don't know though. Zoom-and-burst is RIP.