Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Dude this is why your rap sheet is so long.

Holy poo poo!

Maybe we should talk about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea i edited my comment sorry

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wish Marathon 2 had a soundtrack. :(

Late to the party but I just got the Frog Blast the Vent Core reference in Halo. :aaa:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A inflation is a serious issue in game development, an A used to be worth a lot more. In 2030 an AAAAAAA game will be barely on the scale of today’s map packs.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I think my frustration is this, if Quake 2 which was an incredibly anticipated sequel from the developers of two of the greatest FPS games of all time, with a big budget to boot (for 1997), is not AAA. Then what is?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 20, 2019

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can agree that FFVII probably had a bigger budget, but there is absolutely no way that Symphony of the Night was more-AAA. The thing was always meant to just be a weird experimental spin-off from the main series (interviews stating the devs considered it a "Dracula X" game rather than an "Akumajou Dracula" one), it's just one that happened to take off.

I've got doubts about Goldeneye too, given it was the first project for the bulk of the dev team and was rather unassuming in many regards (hell, it only switched to FPS from light-gun game because they arbitrarily felt walking around their stages felt more fun, and its iconic multiplayer mode was never even intended to be in it from the onset, only coming together after after a single guy made it without anyone else's involvement and then included at the last minute), but then it did have a movie license attached to it and could more or less be considered a first-party title, so it probably was one.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

??????????????

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's crazy that a crew of four and a half people made A Trip to the Moon in 1902 for 10,000 Francs and then James Cameron spent twelve billion dollars making Avatar in 2009.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a trip to the moon wasn’t a blockbuster.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
gently caress, you mooks are making a valiant effort at ruining the best thread in games, please stop

on topic: do mech games strictly qualify as FPSes? Because as much as I love system shock 2, terra nova might be a better game versus its competition at the time

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's first person, but the mouse-based shooting might disqualify it.

I miss that game, it was fun.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Best AAA in gaming goes to the Dark Forces falling scream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m6tWQ6QQPE
It might be an overused library sound, but it is still my favorite AAA.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Groovelord Neato posted:

a trip to the moon wasn’t a blockbuster.

Blockbuster video used to rent out a copy of it so I think you are mistaken

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if Quake was really a AAA game it would have been named Quaaake

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hwurmp posted:

if Quake was really a AAA game it would have been named Quaaake

Oohh, that's filthy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just beat Dusk (Ciero Miedo :blastu: ). loving incredible game. Definitely worthy of a place in the canon of shooters along with Doom and Quake imo. The level design, particularly in episodes 2 and 3, was incredible. The way the tension ramps up for so long and to such heights is unbelievable. I'm just absolutely floored by what I sort of expected to be an also-ran along with so many other would-be retro shooters.

Next up, Amid Evil!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wait Rob Zombie did the Quake 2 theme?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you had to buy a new video card in the 90's to play a new game then it was a major release.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wish Marathon 2 had a soundtrack. :(

yeah too bad, right? The M1 soundtrack isn’t the best ever (Fat Man is one of the worst BGM in any video game imo) but it’s a shame they didn’t want to improve on it. I usually spin some dark ambient while I play, stuff from Cryo Chamber tends to fit the tone.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Convex posted:

Wait Rob Zombie did the Quake 2 theme?
Apparently it's the music that plays in the second half of the intro cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94

It's news to me as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vakal posted:

If you had to buy a new video card in the 90's to play a new game then it was a major release.

That was every 3rd game tho

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solaris 2.0 posted:

what makes Quake 2 NOT a AAA game?

iD was still pretty small in comparison to the really big studios on the PC and consoles at the time? They were still restricted to being able to support a single major release every year or so unlike other studios that could handle multiple per year? Duh? This isn't hard.

Like again, Final Fantasy VII came out that year and on top of being huge itself, Square also developed and put out 7 other games that year, not even counting outside developer games they published. Rare put out Goldeneye that year and also developed and put out 3 other games as a second-party studio. Those are the sorts of games being developed under what would be the AAA model today.

Vakal posted:

Or you'd just bought the wrong 3D card again, of which there were dozens a year.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
AAA game to me says Hollywood-tier budget, production values, and marketing, with corporate expectations to match, which is something that just wasn't common in 1997. If you look at the list of the most expensive video games to develop (according to Wikipedia), the only games on there from before Half-Life 2 are two Final Fantasy games, Enter the Matrix, and Shenmue (and E.T., but I won't count that). I'm not saying cost to develop is the only thing that determines if a game is AAA or not but it's a pretty good indicator of the level of resources that went into them and the corresponding expectations. Half-Life 2 was a bit of a turning point, but it seems like the AAA era of video games didn't really enter full force until the PS3/360 era, which is how I remember it. The consolization of PC games was a hot topic at that time, and it was a side effect of the beginning of the era of huge-budget games targeting every platform.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Reminder that AAA refers to marketing budget, not development budget, and last gen it was entirely possible for a "AAA" game like Call of Duty 6 Modern Warfare 2 to have a development budget of like 40 million US dollars but a marketing budget of over 4 times that (160 million)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This was also the era when so many devs were jumping ship to consoles because the disparity in sales. So it's kinda a no-brainer that the biggest PC titles were dwarfed by the biggest console. It's stupid to pretend id wasn't a major PC developer. They were nothing like bedroom coder indies today. They had a significant team and were swimming in money after Doom and even Doom was produced on a decent budget. They weren't EA, but devs weren't as stratified in the 90s. There were plenty of mid size studios cranking out big budget games 1 at a time. Just most of those studios got bought up eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

iD was still pretty small in comparison to the really big studios on the PC and consoles at the time? They were still restricted to being able to support a single major release every year or so unlike other studios that could handle multiple per year? Duh? This isn't hard.

:goonsay:

DUH quake was not AAA you absolute rube, you fool

Seriously Fishmech its videogames you can't be this goddamn mean about it all the time. Lighten up dude. Smoke a bowl or something for the love of christ.

Volte posted:

AAA game to me says Hollywood-tier budget, production values, and marketing, with corporate expectations to match, which is something that just wasn't common in 1997.

To me it isn't "Hollywood Tier" because games aren't Hollywood. Its "Game Industry Tier", which is a moving target. In '97 the Game Industry AAA was behind the Movie Industry AAA. Now that its 2019, what counts as AAA requires like 10x the budget of what it used to.

This is literally an argument of semantics though :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 21, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

To me it isn't "Hollywood Tier" because games aren't Hollywood. Its "Game Industry Tier", which is a moving target. In '97 the Game Industry AAA was behind the Movie Industry AAA. Now that its 2019, what counts as AAA requires like 10x the budget of what it used to.

Nah, that's wrong. There was simply way the gently caress less AAA stuff in 1997. Quit trying to pretend that was always a big thing in video games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vakal posted:

That was Turok 2 for me. And Klingon Honor Guard.

:smug:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Everyone has a vague idea of what AAA means but there doesn't seem to be a precise definition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a marketing buzzword that increasingly refers to large budget open world games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Everyone has a vague idea of what AAA means but there doesn't seem to be a precise definition.

I know it when I see it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

quake 2 had an amount of marketing that was on the top end of the amount of marketing any videogame had back then. it was also one of the most anticipated, most talked about releases. it was the cover story of pretty much any games magazine that talked about it.

people just use AAA as meaning 'major release'. quake 2 was AAA if anything was at that time.

fishmech is being a dummy and forgetting how segregated the japanese games market was at the time. the vast majority of ff7 advertising would have been restricted to japan. it was definitely a major release in the west too, but it didn't have a much more than average advertising presence here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

juggalo baby coffin posted:

fishmech is being a dummy and forgetting how segregated the japanese games market was at the time. the vast majority of ff7 advertising would have been restricted to japan. it was definitely a major release in the west too, but it didn't have a much more than average advertising presence here.

Yeah you have no loving clue what you're talking about, FF7 was all over the place in the States in print and TV advertising, meanwhile Quake II didn't even get TV advertising until the console releases came out over a year after the PC version

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

Said the guy shrieking about it

fishmech posted:

Cry about it if you wish

fishmech posted:

Yeah you have no loving clue what you're talking about,

Can you stop acting bizarrely aggro?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah Quake 2 was a huge release and was as big as it got on PC at the time. PC gaming mags and sites were hyper focused on it, but PC was just dwarfed by consoles. Though FF7 is a weird bar to set since it was unusually aggressively advertised for the time and I can't think of a game as often on regular TV. I remember having to tell a lot of people that the game absolutely doesn't look like the ads, Cloud doesn't have hands when you walk around.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Quake 2 was an AAA game of its time in the sense that it was one of the most major and highly anticipated releases of its time, at least if one is considering PC gaming.

It was not the equivalent of a modern AAA game in that it was not made by a studio of hundreds nor had a total budget of hundreds of millions.

Both definitions are coherent and fit with what we call an AAA game nowadays. For me personally, if you'd asked me before this whole argument started up, I would've gone with the latter. That is, for me the term "AAA" signifies the absolute amount of resources rather than the game's relative standing. But I can understand why someone would go with the other definition. It's not a failure of logic or anything. It only becomes a problem when people go to war over it instead of just clarifying what they meant.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol y are you actively engaging with fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JerryLee posted:

Quake 2 was an AAA game of its time in the sense that it was one of the most major and highly anticipated releases of its time, at least if one is considering PC gaming.

It was not the equivalent of a modern AAA game in that it was not made by a studio of hundreds nor had a total budget of hundreds of millions.

Both definitions are coherent and fit with what we call an AAA game nowadays. For me personally, if you'd asked me before this whole argument started up, I would've gone with the latter. That is, for me the term "AAA" signifies the absolute amount of resources rather than the game's relative standing. But I can understand why someone would go with the other definition. It's not a failure of logic or anything. It only becomes a problem when people go to war over it instead of just clarifying what they meant.

So does that mean in 20 years that indie games will be AAA if the budgets continue to scale?

And AAA games will become... AAAA games? (Star Citizen lol)

That's why making it about an objective amount of money invested seems short-term to me, the scale is constantly shifting. It seems to me like it has to be that "AAA" is whatever the top of the industry is.

If in 20 years a AAA budget is defined as over 1 billion, does that mean that retroactively past games are no longer AAA? Would FF7 stop being AAA because it only cost a few million and game budgets are now in the hundreds of millions? Nah, it was as expensive as any game was for its time, so it was AAA. Right?

Saying that Quake 2 is not quite AAA because nothing on PC was on the scale of console at least makes sense to me. I don't think I agree with that, but I can see it.