Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Elfface posted:

"Say the N word" is probably number 6 on the list of things Miles can do but Peter can't.

sing along accurately to a rap song without it being a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Gripweed posted:

the Ultimate comics were bad for a lot of reasons. Making the Hulk a cannibal murder monster, casual homophobia, both bad. IMO

“Oh what’s that Captain America? You’re shocked that I’m making out with my sister? Heh, look at this old fuddy-duddy who can’t wrap his mind around the fact that twincest is fine in today’s world.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

“Oh what’s that Captain America? You’re shocked that I’m making out with my sister? Heh, look at this old fuddy-duddy who can’t wrap his mind around the fact that twincest is fine in today’s world.”

that one is incredible

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody explain the context behind that 80s Cap comic?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody explain the context behind that 80s Cap comic?

Arnie, long time friend of Cap, is gay. If i remember right Arnie was someone from cap's childhood who grew up while he was on ice and reconnected after he was thawed. That is a story where homophobes kidnapped his "roommate" and iirc torture Arnie for being queer. Cap has no time for that bullshit.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

oh, i got it!

the answer is somewhere around 70 minutes

as that is the actual length of beethoven's 9th symphony

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

what

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ultimates 3 by Jeph Loeb starts with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in a sexual relationship. They are twins (and are aware of that fact).

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were doing the ol' Hapsburg Hookup. But Cap being against it is in the wrong, because they're in love you see.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Obvious Plant is a national treasure

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What is Obvious Plant's deal? Do they somehow make money on the products they produce? Or is it just like an art thing from someone with unlimited budget?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Ah, pulling a big Luke and Leia.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

IUG posted:

What is Obvious Plant's deal? Do they somehow make money on the products they produce? Or is it just like an art thing from someone with unlimited budget?

While I find that one to be a little too "try-hard", most of their stuff is gold.

They are sort of an "art" thing? They do make a small number of the items you see,and they are for sale on some website. They don't make many, and things tend to sell out very quickly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

marshmallow creep posted:

Ultimates 3 by Jeph Loeb starts with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in a sexual relationship. They are twins (and are aware of that fact).

I looked it up, and it gets so much worse :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elfface posted:

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were doing the ol' Hapsburg Hookup. But Cap being against it is in the wrong, because they're in love you see.

As I do for most things, I blame Game of Thrones.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe it's time to accept that comic books sorry "graphic novels" are just western anime with all that entails

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh we're talking Ultimates?

616 is the "main" universe.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The original thread is still great

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Oh it doesn't work like that? Word? Congrats, guy, you managed to solve a problem meant for literal children.

The joke is that the person who set the question obviously does think it works like that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've seen that problem in actual textbooks. It's a deliberate "trap" question, intended to help the student analyze word problems correctly instead of just looking at the numbers.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My favorite Classic Cap scene is him coming across a student protest that's getting into a brawl with the cops, and he figures, "Welp, guess I should punch SOMEBODY" and starts beating the poo poo out of cops.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NtotheTC posted:

Maybe it's time to accept that comic books sorry "graphic novels" are just western anime with all that entails

American comic books wish they were anime. Comic books are all dumb superheroes trying to act serious. Meanwhile, anime is dealing with actual important stuff

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Tendales posted:

My favorite Classic Cap scene is him coming across a student protest that's getting into a brawl with the cops, and he figures, "Welp, guess I should punch SOMEBODY" and starts beating the poo poo out of cops.

cap (when he's not being written by shitheads) is generally on the right side of things

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

That comic rustled so many jimmies that the comics industry cannibalized itself rather than let it go unpunished.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

American comic books wish they were anime. Comic books are all dumb superheroes trying to act serious. Meanwhile, anime is dealing with actual important stuff

Huh. See, I learned something today.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Hulk is a cannibal murder monster in that universe

but I guess him being homophobic is worse

Hulk having any idea about the word "straight" being associated with strength, or homosexuality being a form of weakness, indicates that the writers think these are default primal truths and not stupidity that is enforced and conditioned into people. Primal characters' politics say a shitton about writers, just like deity characters' politics.

e.g. OG Thanos was a stalker creep who wanted to gently caress so bad he killed half the cosmos to get around a divine restraining order.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Even modern Thanos' plan makes no loving sense, because neither the writers nor audience for comic books are very smart.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gripweed posted:

Dungeon Meshi is extremely good, yes

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somfin posted:

e.g. OG Thanos was a stalker creep who wanted to gently caress so bad he killed half the cosmos to get around a divine restraining order.
As I recall he was trying to impress Death so he could get into her pants.

It didn't work.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

As I recall he was trying to impress Death so he could get into her pants.

It didn't work.

He was trying to impress Death because he'd been obsessed with her and she'd made him immortal specifically so she'd never have to deal with him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Somfin posted:

He was trying to impress Death because he'd been obsessed with her and she'd made him immortal specifically so she'd never have to deal with him.

In a way Thanos has been carrying a universe sized printer for millennia. No wonder goons like comic books so much.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meanwhile Deadpool is immortal and Death can't get enough of him.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I love that Deadpool of all characters is in a legit love triangle situation with Thanos.

Minor point to other post, movie Thanos’s plan didn’t need to make sense. Dude was straight up crazy and just had lovely justification but Brolin sold it really well. That’s why the universe is pretty much rotting in Endgame.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kwyndig posted:

And if I remember correctly he wooed Death over Thanos by making the point that ol' Grimace only wanted to kill half of all life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HPanda posted:

I love that Deadpool of all characters is in a legit love triangle situation with Thanos.

Minor point to other post, movie Thanos’s plan didn’t need to make sense. Dude was straight up crazy and just had lovely justification but Brolin sold it really well. That’s why the universe is pretty much rotting in Endgame.

I haven't seen Endgame, but I thought Brolin was pretty good as Cable in the second Deadpool movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IUG posted:

Jeff Wysaski made a lot of money on YouTube from his Pleated Jeans work. He used that money to start Obvious Plant.