Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Poor Michael Dorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It worked on my phone at least. With that trailer and Michael Chabon being in charge I'm cautiously stoked.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hope they don't turn the Romulans into The First Order - I can see that borg cube being a romulan-made thing that's going to destroy THE EARTH!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So, Romulans doing some funky science stuff with folks who probably got nanoprobes in them (they're not obviously Borg, but kept in a very Borg-aesthetic facility - maybe even the defunct cube - with a literal sign in English and Borg).

The girl instinctively feels like she'd be safe with Picard because of some latent Borg programming that recognizes him as Locutus.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

lol at this nugget

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
16 years without assimilation is pretty good - Also it was 16 years ago this year that we last saw assimilation happen on a Trek show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

My plot detector picked up scents of "hey, maybe Starfleet is doing something shady" again. But maybe not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

lol at this nugget

lol

Is Data's makeup the same as on TNG? He looks way more creepy and artificial, but the video quality is so much better now I wonder if that's what they were always going for.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My plot detector picked up scents of "hey, maybe Starfleet is doing something shady" again. But maybe not?

Looks like Romulan guards with the guns.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

lol

Is Data's makeup the same as on TNG? He looks way more creepy and artificial, but the video quality is so much better now I wonder if that's what they were always going for.

Even Data’s makeup in the movies looked different than on the show, although that might be down to differences in lighting

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Grand Fromage posted:

lol

The colored contact lenses they're using now look off compared to previous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So uh what are some good 7 episodes since I’ve never bothered watching Voyager aside from a handful of the infamous ones?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Picard looks very interesting, but then I like Disco, and the only thing I really dislike about Enterprise is Archer, so I'll gobble up any old crap.

Except Voyager. Sorry.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So uh what are some good 7 episodes since I’ve never bothered watching Voyager aside from a handful of the infamous ones?

Every Seven episode is good. Except for the rape one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

drat. Good on them for playing all that so close to the chest.

If I'm just being manipulated by nostalgia, so be it. I'm stoked.

Same here. I feel like someone's just pulling my strings, but I don't care. Seven and Data both got a big, goofy smile and a 'What!?' out of me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The one with The Rock

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not feeling good.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Looks like Romulan guards with the guns.

They said they would be doing some modern social commentary in the show, and they said it had something to do with Picard stopping an injustice. That scene gave me some sense of maybe it being an immigration detention allegory about Borg refugees or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The 7 centered episodes are generally decent, you could watch any/all of them. You wouldn't know it from the stupid boobsuit but she's a highlight of the show for sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The 7 centered episodes are generally decent, you could watch any/all of them. You wouldn't know it from the stupid boobsuit but she's a highlight of the show for sure.

I think of it more as a buttsuit

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Given the whole social commentary thing it would have been interesting to have the Romulans or the Cardassians trying to actually make a proper peace with the federation only for the federation to not believe them due to specism. Also, so what you are all saying about Voyager is that only 7 episodes are good out of the whole run? :v:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Given the whole social commentary thing it would have been interesting to have the Romulans or the Cardassians trying to actually make a proper peace with the federation only for the federation to not believe them due to specism. Also, so what you are all saying about Voyager is that only 7 episodes are good out of the whole run? :v:

"If only you could hear yourselves? 'Human rights.' Why the very name is racist. The Federation is no more than a 'homo sapiens' only club."

Has The Federation ever let in a race as destroyed as the Cardies and Romulans? They're the lowest of the low with nothing to offer.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I no poo poo legit like the Seven episode where it's just a straight up Pretty Woman/Pygmalion knockoff story.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Picard Talk:

I think I'll like the new show; Discovery is way too Doctor Who magic-pixie-girl for me to stomach and I actually finish every episode weekly...somehow.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

If the minds behind Kelvin movies and Discovery watched nothing but All Good Things and the TNG movies and decided to make a new series based off of that, it would look almost exactly like this. I don't know why I expected any different.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

pyrotek posted:

If the minds behind Kelvin movies and Discovery watched nothing but All Good Things and the TNG movies and decided to make a new series based off of that, it would look almost exactly like this. I don't know why I expected any different.

Hey, they watched I, Borg and some Voyager episodes too!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It would be really nice if this were good but I remember getting stoked before Nemesis because the commercials tugged on my heartstrings so I mean :shrug:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Same here. I feel like someone's just pulling my strings, but I don't care. Seven and Data both got a big, goofy smile and a 'What!?' out of me.

For me, it was part nostalgia, but a bigger part "gently caress yes, I can't believe they're finally actually picking up the story again."

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
We've spent a decade of Trek rehashing characters and events from the 23rd century, so I'm glad we've got Discovery in the super future and continuing the post-nemesis story.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There are other shows for the one true Trek fix.

It is known.

I also want to take this time to thank this thread for exposing me to those amazing TNG edits on YouTube.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Looking at this screenshot, wonder if they put Spiner in the makeup, then attempted to use CGI to "de-age" him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

lol

He's old as gently caress. They have to cake that poo poo on now.

Thom12255 posted:

Hey, they watched I, Borg and some Voyager episodes too!

They probably made interns watch the rest of the back catalog and tell them what characters have the most to do with the Borg.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
You guys are way too fuckin' cynical. Also Voyager is good. So is the Enterprise theme song. Have some faith in their hearts.

(Jeri Ryan showing up is the most insane surprise I've seen yet out of a Comic Con trailer for anything.)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Noise Complaint posted:

You guys are way too fuckin' cynical. Also Voyager is good. So is the Enterprise theme song. Have some faith in their hearts.

(Jeri Ryan showing up is the most insane surprise I've seen yet out of a Comic Con trailer for anything.)

Post S4-DS9 theme is also better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

For me, it was part nostalgia, but a bigger part "gently caress yes, I can't believe they're finally actually picking up the story again."

God drat, that's true. It's been nothing but prequels and prequels for ages.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pyrotek posted:

He's old as gently caress. They have to cake that poo poo on now.

That's why he wanted Data dead at the end of Nemesis. It was becoming more and more silly to pretend Data's ageless.

It's sci-fi though. Just have a scene where Geordi has him on the operating table and is like "Gee, Data, I really don't understand why you want these aging modifications, but if you think it'll make you more human ..."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They already had a precedent in All Good Things with the skunk hair.

I wasn't complaining about the makeup, I just thought it was interesting how more uncanny valley he seemed to me. TNG would've felt different if he came across like that. Since I'm partly colorblind I never thought he looked inhuman at all, just kinda pale.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Jeri Ryan is so pretty, holy cats. All she has to do is smirk the entire runtime and I think I'd be okay with that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Turns out that I, too, suffer from physical deterioration on human time scales.

That's all you'd need. One sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm surprised they didn't bring back Data as a hologram or have him be the voice of the computer on Picard's new ship or something. De-aging Spiner is a weird choice.