Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Alright, I think I need to get Elsa Spiderman off the top of my profile so here's a level for you all:

What? KAMEK is Evolving!
Course ID: RFB-57R-PWG
Difficulty: Harder side of normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

This remake of one of my MM1 stages was inspired by the old coyote vs. road runner cartoons. Kamek comes at Mario using various methods but gets thwarted at every turn. It contains a couple of chase sequences bookended by some shorter challenge rooms. As usual I've reworked some things from the original including replacing one challenge room and making things a little more optimal for speed runs.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Alright, I think I need to get Elsa Spiderman off the top of my profile so here's a level for you all:

FWIW, people need to load up that level. Don't play it, just open it up and see all the comments from people who didn't understand what was happening.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, people need to load up that level. Don't play it, just open it up and see all the comments from people who didn't understand what was happening.

I left the most disturbing comment I could think of.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Forest fire!
RKQ-S2M-NJG
Difficulty: Easy

This is a half-blitz level. I was out during last week's blitz, but this was my idea after taking a look at the rules. I didn't follow the block/item/enemy restrictions, but still made it in under 2 hours with a fireflower theme.

I think the level itself ended up being a bit basic, but really like how the concept turned out. Might revisit it again later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, more jam levels. For my amusement now, I'm trying to get the world record on all of these.

SMB3 Pipeland Kids Jam
98P-SSK-L1G
By: Q_res

Lightweight level for kids, but you snuck in a back path to make it go fast. It's a super short stage, though, with my time being almost nine seconds flat.

The Super Monty Mole Proxy
3M8-07T-C2G
By: Brightman

A cute concept, but I think I broke the stage by running through everything. The Monty Mole got killed by something offscreen and I just got through the door without doing anything.

my baby loves it!!!
TVQ-XC1-5VF
By: Fawf

I'm not sure what to say about this stage. There's not really anything here to engage with, even if you go through the door. It doesn't even work as visual spectacle.

Mario's Fun With Numbers
PLW-0MM-XTF
By: Little Mac/Cartridgeblowers

Cute way to do the math concept. The boss didn't really feel necessary or thematically connected to the rest of the level, though.

Goombrat's Playground
WRJ-XJL-4TG
By: Doomykins

A concept I was expecting to see more of in this jam was people making stages that were short sections to play around in. This is one of the very few levels I've seen that did that. It worked pretty well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get that world record; whoever took it must have gotten the line exactly right for bouncing off the goombrats and clearing obstacles.

The Bunny Slope
Td3-0nw-llg
By: Crass Casualty

Starting this stage up I was thinking, "Oh cool, a stage all about skiiing down giant slopes!" And then I found up having to deal with lots of spikes and slow progress and very little sliding.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Might just be me idk, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing at this little spooky boo's face.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1152726661323866112

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

Might just be me idk, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing at this little spooky boo's face.

Boo does an excellent Kirby impression.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sam Faust posted:

What exactly causes them to do this anyways? I've seen it a few times in edit move but never in an actual course.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly causes them to do this anyways? I've seen it a few times in edit move but never in an actual course.

night ground theme causes them to act weird.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is it better to put the hardest parts of your level directly after restart points (cp/start) or directly before them?

I feel like if you want them to get played in endless, they should be before the CP/ a decent way in. But when I play specific levels through goons or friends, it feels a lot better having the immediate opportunity to retry the hard parts.

I'm having a hard time deciding this in my level building.

And I guess it depends how much harder the "hard" part is and how long it takes to get there. Good level building is hard

Edit: maybe like 1/3rd past? Just long enough they're still willing to retry the hard jump or whatever? :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 21, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Watermelon Frosting
BQ2-994-SWG

First level I just uploaded that uses SM3DW. Look for the remake of the SMB1 subworld. Most will probably find it a fairly easy level. All red coins lead to a faster exit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Is it better to put the hardest parts of your level directly after restart points (cp/start) or directly before them?

As you noticed, there's two distinct ways to approach this. The first is that the checkpoint is a reward for completing a difficult section, the second is it's an opportunity to easily retry a difficult section. Which approach you take depends on what you're doing. If you're building your level as a narrative, then after works better. If you're building the level as a series of challenges, then before is better. If you're anticipating a ton of player deaths at a spot, before is more friendly. If you think a section is just kind of tricky, then after may work better.

The important things are do you want death to be a punishment and how are you rewarding players? If the punishment for failure is death, then a checkpoint before that is a good idea. On the other hand, you might want to set it up so that players can easily reset the challenge and try again. When it's a reward, you need to use it as an opportunity to reset what you're asking the player to do; you have reached the end of the previous style of challenge and now things are changing.

It's funny, but I've been struggling with a checkpoint problem myself since a level I'm building is a marathon where it's going to be about three times as long as a standard level with a variety of symbolic challenges. So I was trying to come up with a method where I could re-use a checkpoint so there could be effectively three of them. Sadly, the lack of persistent states means that it just isn't going to work and the level concept just doesn't lend itself to abbreviating it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

I feel like if you want them to get played in endless, they should be before the CP/ a decent way in. But when I play specific levels through goons or friends, it feels a lot better having the immediate opportunity to retry the hard parts.

I'm having a hard time deciding this in my level building.

And I guess it depends how much harder the "hard" part is and how long it takes to get there. Good level building is hard

Edit: maybe like 1/3rd past? Just long enough they're still willing to retry the hard jump or whatever? :thunk:

If you wait to have the hardest challenge at the end, you can go checkpoint immediately before -> hard section -> immediately end.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Mario's Musical Chairs

K2J-48Q-MKF

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think with checkpoints, where you place them relative to specific challenges comes down to this; does this obstacle test ability or endurance?

Ability is self-explanatory; its actually being able to platform properly. An obstacle that primarily tests ability is something like a small series of tricky jumps. Something a player is likely to struggle with a few (or many) times before they come close to mastering it. These kind of obstacles are quick to get past when you have mastered them but really annoying when you haven't. Its very frustrating to get to the end of a level and die to one bullshit jump the stage hasn't even been building you up for properly. these are obstacles where a checkpoint before them is probably better since players are likely to fail it a few times, but cam clear it easily once they know what they're doing.

Endurance focuses more on your skill over a prolonged period of time. Boss battles are the perfect example of an endurance challenge; its almost always clear what needs to be done, the challenge just comes down to executing and surviving long enough to do it multiple times. An endurance challenge usually isn't as hard as an purely ability focused one, but due to the time involved they are much more annoying to redo. Checkpoints should go after these so they don't need to be repeated.

That's how I view it at least. But above all else, place checkpoints to pace your stage properly. Mentally divide up your stage into chunks based on length and figure out where the checkpoints would be most appropriate. One reason people might skip an otherwise good stage is because they don't wanna redo a ton of work due to the checkpoints being spaced too far apart, or simply absent. Properly placed checkpoints help a lot with that, and if you're planning properly you can line up the difficult challenges with areas where you'd naturally wanna put a checkpoint due to level length.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Jam level incoming

Don't Touch Noisy Ground!!!!!
X3J-9SS-8QG

This level is for kids, like the smallest kids you got. Afaik it's impossible to die to anything in there, the ground is completely harmless as well except it makes a bunch of noise. Ideal for any child old enough to understand the name of the level but not old enough to realize it's smoke and mirrors.

Advanced players can find a speedrun route that makes your speakers do hosed up poo poo so if you wanna see that it's like 20 seconds long.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lol I just got a like on two courses because I was derping around in easy and liked a course.

Quid pro quo really is the easy solution, isn't it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

lol I just got a like on two courses because I was derping around in easy and liked a course.

Absolutely. It definitely pays not to be stingy with the likes so I usually give them out if the level wasn't total crap.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Control Volume posted:

The Mansion of Dr. Bones
12J-2JB-YQG

A puzzle solving mansion that requires you to scour the entire thing and figure out what the hell to do, slowly unlocking progress by solving puzzles. Its a longass level that I wish could give an infinite timer but what can ya do.

This level was really really good!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

For sure. I like every level I beat in Easy pretty much because I assume they were all made by children. I also try to leave a comment. Same when I beat a level in New.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Title: Topsy-Turvy Caves
Code: 8TB-JH7-KKG
Description: There's something strange about these caves...
Difficulty: Normal

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WTF I DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD ZOOM OUT

Spellman
May 31, 2011

And in, apparently. The clicksticks do this

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spellman posted:

WTF I DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD ZOOM OUT

Spellman posted:

And in, apparently. The clicksticks do this

I know, it was a godsend making the level I just posted.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Luigi is upside down and eating a tomato in that thumbnail. What is the theme

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004
I noticed that the cat swipe makes bullet and banzai bills change direction, so naturally I decided to make a whole level themed around that mechanic. I was aiming for easy difficulty; none of the challenges are very tough or precise, you can retry them as many times as you need to, and there is a bell dispenser in every room. It's sitting at 1 play, 1 clear right now so hopefully I've learned my lesson about level difficulty :shobon:

Swatting Bullets
495-MDY-YMG

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You can use pinch to zoom in handheld mode as well

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I just played a course then the next time I loaded the game got the title course it was ripped from. Plagiarism is wrong, people! :mad:

e: In fact, the highest praise I've gotten was on Make Way 2 where someone said he had never seen that type of puzzle before. :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

Like levels you enjoy and leave comments when you really enjoy them. There are a lot of people who check out the courses of people that comment on their stuff.

But don't do it just for that; do it because its nice. I mean, we all love getting comments we like on courses don't we?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My maker points just went up even though I haven't uploaded a course in a week.

Oh, heck! People are actually liking my Blitz course for multiplayer! That explains it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
WHY doesn't the 3D World them have the buzzsaws?? God you're absolutely killing me, Nintendo. I want to have walljumps but I don't want to use the loving awful looking NSMBU theme

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

J-Spot posted:

What? KAMEK is Evolving!
Course ID: RFB-57R-PWG
Difficulty: Harder side of normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

This remake of one of my MM1 stages was inspired by the old coyote vs. road runner cartoons. Kamek comes at Mario using various methods but gets thwarted at every turn. It contains a couple of chase sequences bookended by some shorter challenge rooms. As usual I've reworked some things from the original including replacing one challenge room and making things a little more optimal for speed runs.

Suck it rest of the world. I really enjoyed this one. I hated the flame jets section for a little while, but once you realize you can damage boost through it it was better..

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Luigi is upside down and eating a tomato in that thumbnail. What is the theme

What are all the best ways to nom various foods.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Heyyyyy doing more goon level streaming for an hour/hour and a half.

http://twitch.tv/zfleeman

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New level up:

Tall, Tall Tower
LDF-DN9-41G

Okay, it's not that tall, it's only 6 floors. I was playing around with the idea of micro-themes, so instead of the level having an overarching theme of enemy types and obstacles, each floor has its own.

Difficulty is... variable? There are a lot of hidden power-ups to help you through, but they aren't all that hidden. I would say it's at least medium if you don't pick up any of those power-ups, but significantly easier if you do. There's a checkpoint after what I consider the most difficult floor, halfway through. A Mario player of any competence should clear it within a few tries, but of course the general player base is less capable than that.

acems
May 8, 2019

Currently working on a course based around killing the sun. What are all of y’all’s favorite vertical platforming mechanics? Looking to move away from wigglers and cannonballs.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

acems posted:

Currently working on a course based around killing the sun. What are all of y’all’s favorite vertical platforming mechanics? Looking to move away from wigglers and cannonballs.

Besides cannonballs, probably blue platforms.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

acems posted:

Seesaws and if it's NSMB1 using Mega Mario to smash through the floor. Pairs really well with scroll stop!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This probably won’t last through the evening but for now I’m happy:
https://twitter.com/jefftmbg/status/1153037745247248384?s=21

Was expecting a piece of avatar clothing for getting the gold medal but there was nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

J-Spot posted:

This probably wont last through the evening but for now Im happy:
https://twitter.com/jefftmbg/status/1153037745247248384?s=21

Was expecting a piece of avatar clothing for getting the gold medal but there was nothing.

Congrats and boo on not getting any clothing for a gold medal or presumably 10,000 Maker Points. What am I even doing with my life, then?