Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

shrike82 posted:

I'm curious what the politics for the forum will turn to if/when Bernie isn't the Dem candidate in 2020.

I am voting third party and watching the house burn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I'm curious what the politics for the forum will turn to if/when Bernie isn't the Dem candidate in 2020.

“Bernie cannot fail. He can only be failed.”

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Majorian posted:

The reason why Bernie's the best candidate to help with the opioid crisis is because people suffering from addiction to opioids need Medicare For All if they're going to survive. There's really nothing in any of the other candidates' plans that are better-geared towards addressing this crisis than that.

I agree about treating the addicted, but hundreds to thousands of pills per resident flood into communities and Doctors keep prescribing them. My Mom has pretty good healthcare and never thought herself a victim of the opioid crisis but last month she collapsed for the second time taking some of the relevant painkillers as prescribed. I didn’t know what she was taking was one of the drugs at the center of the problem because all I knew about was OxyContin thanks to Rush Limbaugh.

Jailing a CEO is a good start, but more has to be done regulatory wise. The President controls the DEA and has some leverage here.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

No one talking about a jobs guarantee is doing so with a view to increasing power of capitalists over the rest of us.

This is a good post and makes me feel better about Bernie. I still view automation as progress and cringe at its demonization, but that’s just me. It feels a neoliberal solution to a progressive problem, even though it’s really the opposite.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 21, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/MiseryXchord/status/1152695868648112130

this is just going to get dumber and more extremely believable over time isn't it

shrike82 posted:

"The Democrats are loving trash and we're all seriously screwed" with a side of people being insufferable about ~vote blue no matter who~ with clap emojis while talking about how actually bringing back the ACA mandate is exactly what we need to make healthcare affordable to access.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 21, 2019

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Marxalot posted:

this is just going to get dumber and more extremely believable over time isn't it

It will, particularly as Seven Days has had it in for Bernie since at least 2016 and go out of their way to paint him in the worst possible light. Last month they ran a frontpage article about how Bernie was basically Wayne Pierre's alter-ego and only ever got elected to office with the gun lobby's support (it may surprise you to learn that that's not true!).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Marxalot posted:

"The Democrats are loving trash and we're all seriously screwed" with a side of people being insufferable about ~vote blue no matter who~ with clap emojis while talking about how actually bringing back the ACA mandate is exactly what we need to make healthcare affordable to access.

It's a three year old op ed

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Judakel posted:

This is just revisionism. She was a Republican during the Reagan years, not the 1960s.

The Democrats had old racists hanging around into the Bush years. The Republicans has Strom, of course, but the flip of the southern racists didn’t really come around until Reagan as lots of older people in the northern cities (because, again, there were lots of lovely racists in Union territory as well) moved south due to lower rents and the standard of air conditioning making living there tolerable. And I mentioned Shelby, who changed to Republican in 1994.

Warren said she was a Republican because family and so on, but the flip from Dixiecrats to GOP Racism didn’t happen just for Nixon’s re-election. It was a slow gradual change over 25 years. I guess you can complain that she wasn’t disgusted by Reagan, but Reagan didn’t really gently caress up the tax brackets to let the rich loot us all until his second term.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marxalot posted:

That's the original (and only) accusation of staffer abuse, from 2015, which has never been picked up by any other outlet since. They're literally just reposting the same hitpieces from the 2016 primaries. Not even writing new pieces, just tweeting the old ones again.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Anyone have a list of celebrities who support candidates? I know that Cardi B tweeted her support for Bernie, and so did Glover and Devito, but I don't really keep close watch on celebrities so I was wondering.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Luckyellow posted:

Anyone have a list of celebrities who support candidates? I know that Cardi B tweeted her support for Bernie, and so did Glover and Devito, but I don't really keep close watch on celebrities so I was wondering.

Isn't 538 doing an endorsement primary thing?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, from other politicians. I meant like pop culture celebrities.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Jailing a CEO is a good start, but more has to be done regulatory wise. The President controls the DEA and has some leverage here.

Bernie is the only candidate willing to eviscerate the pharmaceutical industry in such a way to actually address the carnage they’ve caused onto the human race, so it would be more logical to support his campaign.

The other candidates will bend over to appease the industry and that’s just not in Bernie’s vocabulary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

538 effectively only counts superdelegates.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ruminahui posted:

Wow I'm really shocked that once again the Sanders supporters were the ones arguing in good faith and the people just asking questions were proven wrong :thunk:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Craptacular! posted:

This is a good post and makes me feel better about Bernie. I still view automation as progress and cringe at its demonization, but that’s just me. It feels a neoliberal solution to a progressive problem, even though it’s really the opposite.
I get it, but it's important to separate rhetoric from intent. It kind of feels sleazy to do so, and you have to be careful not to project your own desires on to other people, but you do at some point have to recognize that threading this particular needle is just not something that can happen on a national debate state in 2019. It's also not going to happen in a stump speech (although there, I would argue, maybe it should). There are Luddites, to be sure, but whenever a leftist politician like Bernie Sanders or AOC or whoever, talk about a jobs guarantee, or they talk about automation in the context of making GBS threads on capitalists who are hoarding the wealth it creates, they are probably not envisioning a future for us where everyone has to work 40 hours a week doing a bullshit job even if it's not strictly necessary and they hate it. But the place you're talking about is like two or three hills over - we're just trying to get over this first one, right now.

(Or hell, maybe they are picturing just such a world. Even in that case, that still makes them useful allies now, to be discarded once their frankly insane-in-a-different-context ideology becomes a problem for the rest of us.)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

I don't entirely agree with this. My personal opinion is that the electoral success of candidates like Sanders is inevitable in the future, but that there are likely too many older Americans (whose brains are irreparably poisoned in terms of the way they think about politics) for it to be possible in most elections currently. So it's possible to lose now but win more in, say, 10 years.
The Republicans are going to continue to subvert and destroy every democratic institution we have left while the Democrats play model Congress and squander whatever meager power they pick up along the way to bash and sideline the left rather than confront the GOP. If the establishment gets its way in this primary there isn't going to be a functioning democracy for your demographic destiny, assuming that even pans out, to do any work on. The Democratic establishment is the first boss in the fight against the fash and if they aren't defeated and brought to heel as part of this primary and election cycle then it is paramount to carry that forward without skipping a beat. I think this is what people who occasionally complain about no one dragging the GOP in here don't get: the Democratic establishment is best viewed as merely another appendage of the same organism which includes most of the national media, the entire Republican party, the alt-right, and the capitalist class.

I guess one silver lining of giving up on electoralism will be that there will no longer be any need to focus so much on the Democratic party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Marxalot posted:

After 4 years of a legitimate fascist in the White House who got to pack the federal courts, set up concentration camps and terrorized minority communities we're really going to have to argue with people that even the shittiest Dem wouldn't be objectively better with accelerationist idiots?

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

After 4 years of a legitimate fascist in the White House who got to pack the federal courts, set up concentration camps and terrorized minority communities we're really going to have to argue with people that even the shittiest Dem wouldn't be objectively better with accelerationist idiots?

Ah yes, because we’ve seen such strong denunciation of these evils from the Dem establishment and not at all any collaboration to fund these concentration camps etc...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

You know as well as anybody that it's not a question of whether or not the shittiest Dem is better than the best Republican at this point. Rather, it's a question of whether or not lovely Dems are going to make an even worse Republican victory in 2024 inevitable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Majorian posted:

You know as well as anybody that it's not a question of whether or not the shittiest Dem is better than the best Republican at this point. Rather, it's a question of whether or not lovely Dems are going to make an even worse Republican victory in 2024 inevitable.

We can both conjecture about what is going to happen in 2024 and I might have the same opinion as you but to actually vote for the objectively greater evil based on a guess about what’s going to happen 4 years later is completely rediculous.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

We can both conjecture about what is going to happen in 2024 and I might have the same opinion as you but to actually vote for the objectively greater evil based on a guess about what’s going to happen 4 years later is completely rediculous.

But it’s been proven right again and again :thunk:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Wait a second, who's talking about voting for the objectively greater evil?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Leaving this alone as it’s not allowed in this thread.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 21, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

Just a timely reminder that this is not the thread to talk about who you'd vote for in the general election after the primaries are over!

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Elizabeth Warren will be the Bartlet presidency they people here so desperately want

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Awful CompSloth posted:

Elizabeth Warren will be the Bartlet presidency they people here so desperately want

We had that for eight years already.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Awful CompSloth posted:

No, Harris is running to be President Santos and Biden is the one running to be President Bartlet. It is my understanding that Warren is running to be Dave.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

We had that for eight years already.

When they how low we go kite surfing with billionaires

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Gyges posted:

No, Harris is running to be President Santos and Biden is the one running to be President Bartlet. It is my understanding that Warren is running to be Dave.

Julian Castro was supposed to be president Santos bit he's too poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
But Santos was meant to be Obama, they just gave him way too much spine and made him too cool and good at sex

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If Trump enters the Dem primary, and everybody else other than Biden drops out, who would yall vote for in the Dem primary?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

His desperation is palpable. I'm betting he's going to try replicating the bump Kamala got from the first debate. So he's gonna try to do a big attack on Bernie

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Marianne asks for money more often than even Hillary did in 2016. The Gravel teens must have given up on getting him up there .

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

If Trump enters the Dem primary, and everybody else other than Biden drops out, who would yall vote for in the Dem primary?

Write-in vote for John Hinckley

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal posted:

Vote Blue no Matter Who.

It may be unpopular but the Dems are a big tent party and we need conservative Democrats like Trump to reach across those voters. Like a similar situation to the one we have with Manchin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punk da Bundo posted:

Marianne asks for money more often than even Hillary did in 2016. The Gravel teens must have given up on getting him up there .

Maybe they're finally going through puberty

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

We have to vote for Trump because hes the only one who can beat Trump, and since hes a Democrat his policies, while flawed, are certainly an improvement over Trump.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

OctaMurk posted:

We have to vote for Trump because hes the only one who can beat Trump, and since hes a Democrat his policies, while flawed, are certainly an improvement over Trump.

Better to have Trump inside our tent pissing out than outside our tent pissing in :hai:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The Democratic establishment is the first boss in the fight against the fash and if they aren't defeated and brought to heel as part of this primary and election cycle then it is paramount to carry that forward without skipping a beat.

Biden and Warren are Bebop and Rocksteady from NES ninja turtles 2 but who is Krang and how many continues do we get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/bourgeoisalien/status/1152914514150662144