Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Budget - Up to $300 CAD / $230 USD
Source - iPhone 6
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wireless Earbuds or IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have no idea - not tinny?
Past Headphones - Basic iphone headphones. Desktop headphones are Steelseries Arctic 7s which were picked for comfort more than anything.
Preferred Music - Listen to a huge variety of music: podcasts, pop, acoustic, rock, hip-hop, trance

I really want an earbud or IEM style, but my ears seem like a pain for things to fit in. I'll want to wear these hiking and playing basketball / squash. As well, I typically wear toques in the winter and would like a low profile so that there isn't too much pressure on my canals.

Bose Soundsport is on sale for $170 CAD ($130 USD)... I know the OP says they probably aren't worth the price but are they okay for that price point?

Master & Dynamic MW07 is on for $300 CAD... online reviews I've seen say there are bluetooth range and battery issues which I'm not crazy about.

If neither of those are great, what's the recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

trem_two posted:

Was just going to recommend the same. I unpacked a box that had my T2 inside this morning, and have been listening to them all day.

FWIW my T3's have been loving fantastic for the few weeks I've had them.
I am not nice to them.

I do wish they had come with a pouch or case. Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate case?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FWIW my T3's have been loving fantastic for the few weeks I've had them.
I am not nice to them.

I do wish they had come with a pouch or case. Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate case?

This should do the job while also being reasonably priced https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/other-accessories/products/earphone-case-wide

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Watching a kid with a gas-powered leaf blower strapped to his back with AirPods in and I’m really sad about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Watching a kid with a gas-powered leaf blower strapped to his back with AirPods in and I’m really sad about it.

Eh not as bad as the kid I saw running a jackhammer with beats studios on.

I wish I could have gotten a picture but I was kinda dumbfounded by it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eddiewalker posted:

:staredog:

You just know they were at maximum volume to try and drown out the motor noise too.

At least those Beats studios would have some passive isolation... though I bet they were probably also at max volume.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MarcusSA posted:

Eh not as bad as the kid I saw running a jackhammer with beats studios on.

I wish I could have gotten a picture but I was kinda dumbfounded by it.

At least they have SOME sound isolation 🥴

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm currently trying to decide between the Sennheiser HD 4.50SE and the Sony WH-CH700n, both of which are on sale for Prime Day:

Budget: probably not more than £100

Usage: Gardening (so need wireless), would like some degree of noise isolation/reduction for the lawnmower and an absolute poo poo of a neighbour. Can't have earbuds any more due to a recurrent ear infection.

Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKT8Z57

Sony WH-CH700N:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078VG82P4

Review comparing both:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/sennheiser-hd-4-50-vs-sony-wh-ch700n/476/650

As far as I can see the Sennheiser seems better, and there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the Sony leaks noise, and has subpar noise reduction.

Sennheiser looks to be the better of the two, but I'd hate to find out if I stretched the budget a little I could have had something much better.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What's the best cheap bluetooth earbuds for a mom who just wants to walk the dog and still hear the world around her? I think she prefers ones she can wear around her neck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anker ones probably.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

^ I broke a pair of cheap earbuds every 2ish months until I bought my Tin T2s. Same hot, wet, sometimes dusty environment and they've outlasted all the others by nearly a year so far and going strong. The cable being replaceable is a big bonus too.

trem_two posted:

Was just going to recommend the same. I unpacked a box that had my T2 inside this morning, and have been listening to them all day.

Adding my thanks for these recommendations. I had a similar need and these seem fantastic so far.

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
Does anyone know how the AKG Y500 compare with the old Y50BT? There's very little online about them.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

So I've ordered the T3s in. Liking them, noticeable difference in sound from my other IEMs, etc. One annoyance though: The IEM-side end of cables are twisted and aren't taking very well to simply bending them in the opposite direction (i.e., the shape is being kept) because of what seems to be an extra layer of plastic over the end of the cable. This is causing them to fall out at the slightest twist. Any pro tips to uh, get over this breaking in period sooner than later?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Kalsco posted:

So I've ordered the T3s in. Liking them, noticeable difference in sound from my other IEMs, etc. One annoyance though: The IEM-side end of cables are twisted and aren't taking very well to simply bending them in the opposite direction (i.e., the shape is being kept) because of what seems to be an extra layer of plastic over the end of the cable. This is causing them to fall out at the slightest twist. Any pro tips to uh, get over this breaking in period sooner than later?

You could use a hair dryer to heat that plastic part up and bend it in the shape you want.

Or just strip that off completely, which I typically do if the ear guides are uncomfortable.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So I was trying to find these headphones but they don't seem to be available anymore.

Are these a reasonable alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Hamm...customerReviews

If they're bad, can anyone recommend something to replace my pair of these?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No recommendations specifically but wireless consumer grade headphones are plentiful these days.

I guess just figure out your budget and go from there.

Sony XM3s? ATH-SR50s?
:shrug:

Beats? :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 20, 2019

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the Sennheiser HD 4.50SE and the Sony WH-CH700n, both of which are on sale for Prime Day:

Budget: probably not more than £100

Usage: Gardening (so need wireless), would like some degree of noise isolation/reduction for the lawnmower and an absolute poo poo of a neighbour. Can't have earbuds any more due to a recurrent ear infection.

Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKT8Z57

Sony WH-CH700N:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078VG82P4

Review comparing both:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/sennheiser-hd-4-50-vs-sony-wh-ch700n/476/650

As far as I can see the Sennheiser seems better, and there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the Sony leaks noise, and has subpar noise reduction.

Sennheiser looks to be the better of the two, but I'd hate to find out if I stretched the budget a little I could have had something much better.

FordCQC posted:

So I was trying to find these headphones but they don't seem to be available anymore.

Are these a reasonable alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Hamm...customerReviews

If they're bad, can anyone recommend something to replace my pair of these?

to the both of ya.

don't get either, they both have big compromises. look at the Sony WH-H900N/h.ear on 2. you can get refurb units for super cheap, and they're as good if not better than the qc-35ii, see the side by side on rtings

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/bose-quietcomfort-35-ii-vs-sony-wh-h900n/565/617?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

it still astounds me that they don't sing praises about these cans more versus the bose.

on amazon they go as low as $135 and on eBay they go for $99 or even less! they're a daily driver for me and I haven't looked back since I picked up a pair. daily drivers for ages now at this point. clean, neutral, decent battery, can take a beating, and at a price point that they're replaceable if you manage to gently caress up a pair. all around a solid piece of gear!

5-HT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 21, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5-HT posted:

don't get either, they both have big compromises. look at the Sony WH-H900N/h.ear on 2. you can get refurb units for super cheap, and they're as good if not better than the qc-35ii, see the side by side on rtings

While they do look like great cans for the price I do think it’s important to point this part out.

I use my QC35s because I fly quite a bit and that comfort rating really is a huge deal.

I’m sure it’s fine if you are only wearing the Sony’s for an hour or so but over the long haul IMO the bose win out. Yeah you pay significantly more but it’s worth it.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

While they do look like great cans for the price I do think it’s important to point this part out.

I use my QC35s because I fly quite a bit and that comfort rating really is a huge deal.

I’m sure it’s fine if you are only wearing the Sony’s for an hour or so but over the long haul IMO the bose win out. Yeah you pay significantly more but it’s worth it.

pretty sure they were looking at more budget options re: $150 and under.

i flew quite a bit between my hometown and Chicago for the past 2 years, every other weekend, to see my fiancee when she was in grad school. so trust me, I get it. in fact she just used my pair on a trip to Japan here not too long ago, and she is thankful to have them. I will say that the Bose's are better in so far as comfort and NC for sure, but it's a price premium of $100 - $150. if that premium is worth it, and you have that spare $, then go for it! but otherwise these will fit the bill for most people.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

on another note, rtings just dropped their Bose 700 review. looks like they're doing what a lot of headphone companies seem to be doing now w/ killing off anything between 4 and 6k. still can't figure out the rationale for this, but it's part of the reason I didn't pick them up. noticed how similar they sounded to my Focal Elegia's that I sold not too long ago. still don't get this industry trend because upper mids and lower to mid treble are crucial to give songs a sense of fullness and sharpness.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/700-headphones
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#896/2031/726
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/focal-elegia-vs-bose-noise-cancelling-headphones-700/726/896?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5-HT posted:

pretty sure they were looking at more budget options re: $150 and under.

i flew quite a bit between my hometown and Chicago for the past 2 years, every other weekend, to see my fiancee when she was in grad school. so trust me, I get it. in fact she just used my pair on a trip to Japan here not too long ago, and she is thankful to have them. I will say that the Bose's are better in so far as comfort and NC for sure, but it's a price premium of $100 - $150. if that premium is worth it, and you have that spare $, then go for it! but otherwise these will fit the bill for most people.

Oh yeah of course on the budget part I was just saying that it’s definitely not apples to apples.

For the money the Sony’s do seem to hit all the marks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Fellow Powerbeats pro owners:

Pick yourself up some spinfit cp240 tips if you’re having trouble getting a good seal. I could tell the Powerbeats had potential to be good but with the lovely material of the default tips and the unusual sorta on-ear/in-ear design I couldn’t get a good seal and was missing out on bass especially.

Now for a “truly wireless” earbud I think they sound pretty good. I still like my x12s more, but I’ll get a lot of use out of these while riding my bike/doing chores/exercising.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

Fellow Powerbeats pro owners:

Pick yourself up some spinfit cp240 tips if you’re having trouble getting a good seal. I could tell the Powerbeats had potential to be good but with the lovely material of the default tips and the unusual sorta on-ear/in-ear design I couldn’t get a good seal and was missing out on bass especially.

Now for a “truly wireless” earbud I think they sound pretty good. I still like my x12s more, but I’ll get a lot of use out of these while riding my bike/doing chores/exercising.

Thanks for the tip! (Hurr) I’ve added them to my wishlist on amazon for later.

I’m really in the market for the power beats pros but my AirPods are still kicking rear end nearly 18 months later.

If they go on sale for Christmas I might pick them up as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them (besides the case size).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
gently caress you Sony, and your weird love of proprietary crap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

gently caress you Sony, and your weird love of proprietary crap.

You'll need to be more specific about which proprietary Sony whatsit you're referring to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hey what were those things called, the replacements for earbud "squishies" as my gf calls them, that basically mould to your ear and you just push the earbud through them? I didn't dream that did I?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

codo27 posted:

Hey what were those things called, the replacements for earbud "squishies" as my gf calls them, that basically mould to your ear and you just push the earbud through them? I didn't dream that did I?

Foam tips?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Hello everyone!

Budget: $100 - $150
Device: Android. (Samsung Note 9)
Use: Podcasts and some music
Isolation Needs: High. I work in a factory and I need either high isolation or ANC.

How is Amazon's refurbished gear? I had a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro headphones and loved them, and Amazon has a refurbished pair for $45.

GoingPostal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 22, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DancingShade posted:

You'll need to be more specific about which proprietary Sony whatsit you're referring to.

I have a set of EX800STs and they have a weird, angled, locking connector instead of an industry standard like MMCX or a two-pin. Pulled my IEMs out of the case today and the right side connector on my cable is literally in pieces. Even the cheapest replacement cables cost $50+.

codo27 posted:

Radians earplug kit. You can also look for two part silicone mould putty like EasyMold.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats it. I have a set of custom earplugs I got from a construction job years ago but they are pretty small, not sure if I could possibly make earbuds out of em. I want this for the misses anyway, she is the one who always says she cant get a good fit with the things that come on the earbuds.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Got the Stennheiser HD 4.50SEs and gave them a brief test today listening to Destiny Music of the Spheres.

They are my first pair of good headphones and I love them. I'm not sure they'd be as good value if they hadn't been reduced for Prime day, and I'm sure there are better options at their regular price point, but I am definitely impressed, and happy with them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Headphones you are happy with are the correct headphones. Enjoy!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anyone have opinions on the pros/cons of MMCX versus 2 pin connectors? I seem to wear out MMCX connectors and I'm curious if 2 pin connectors have their own unique set of issues.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not really. A lot depends on the quality of the specific connector.

MMCX are generally rated for 500 pairings which is something to think about if you're detaching cables frequently. Doing that twice a day? It'll last less than a year.

ALO Audio (to pick a brand) uses fancier beryllium MMCX connectors with a supposed 100x rated pull life on their cables.

Generally it's a bit like full size headphone connectors - the ones using studio grade connectors (i.e. Furutech mini XLR) will last for ages whereas the ones that aren't designed to be frequently detached & reattached (Sennheiser all-plastic 2-pin) get loose fast if you're pulling them out.

Lastly if you're never detaching cables then it's a non issue until the sleeving wears out or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
With the ongoing march to wireless everything and LDAC at 990kps (apparently) I don't think the issue will be resolved with improved materials so much as an antenna and induction charging.

Bonus for the manufacturer: we have to re-buy all our poo poo once the batteries wear out.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I had Ikko OH-10 for oh, a week, and then I think the BA on the right ear died? Or the crossover got hosed up? Suddenly the right side is hella muffled. Anyway, big bummed because these might be my favorite IEM I've tried. They're out of stock now unless I order from China and I really don't want to wait.

Soooo I'm trying out the Moondrop KXXXS. They come tomorrow. Please god don't be a huge downgrade.

Anyone have any other suggestions in the ~$200 range for IEM with deep bass and decent isolation?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

Generally it's a bit like full size headphone connectors - the ones using studio grade connectors (i.e. Furutech mini XLR) will last for ages whereas the ones that aren't designed to be frequently detached & reattached (Sennheiser all-plastic 2-pin) get loose fast if you're pulling them out.

I just want to reiterate how dumb the sennheiser 2 pin is. Holy poo poo is it dumb. Literally the only thing I don't like about my 580s.

In my perfect world all headphones standardize on a 3.5mm stereo for full size and something like the KZ 2 pin for IEMs.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

I had Ikko OH-10 for oh, a week, and then I think the BA on the right ear died? Or the crossover got hosed up? Suddenly the right side is hella muffled. Anyway, big bummed because these might be my favorite IEM I've tried. They're out of stock now unless I order from China and I really don't want to wait.

Soooo I'm trying out the Moondrop KXXXS. They come tomorrow. Please god don't be a huge downgrade.

Anyone have any other suggestions in the ~$200 range for IEM with deep bass and decent isolation?

I have the Moondrop Kanas Pro, and given that the kxxs is supposed to basically just be a more refined version of the Kanas Pro, I think you'll be happy with the bass.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ddogflex posted:

I haven't read a single negative review of the KXXS, they apparently measure well, and everyone agrees they are an improved Kanas Pro. They seem to be the best in their range.

I'm personally going for the full monty and getting CIEM versions of Moondrop's A8 IEMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

I haven't read a single negative review of the KXXS, they apparently measure well, and everyone agrees they are an improved Kanas Pro. They seem to be the best in their range.

I'm personally going for the full monty and getting CIEM versions of Moondrop's A8 IEMs.

YES! A8 Army.

Crinicle rated it an A= if it matters.. which makes it the 2nd cheapest A class IEM aside from the EX800ST. I own the 800st and prefer the a8.

Also I have the KPE as well and you can amp the bass up to incredible levels. True basshead even. No worries for the KxxS. The A8 is tuned very similarly to both those iems and refined to a higher degree as you would expect.