Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nalin posted:

I point my ship back towards the space station. I spool up my quantum drive. I hold B. The game crashes. I go to bed.

Never been done before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Nalin posted:

A year ago, I was drunk chatting in Jabber and for some reason it devolved into looking at the Star Citizen roadmap and I declared that if 3.6.0 would ever come out, then I would download and play it, because I was assuming the "local persistent inventories" thing or whatever meant persistence would be added to the game (that isn't persistence at all and I was completely wrong). Well, I got the e-mail saying 3.6.0 was available and I wasn't going to back down on my boasting so I downloaded it and booted it up.

I ended up playing it for about two or three hours. I had to figure out the character creator, since it wasn't very intuitive, and it took me a while to figure out that I was blending heads together or something weird like that. Because it just cannot tell me what the heck I'm trying to do, you know? I eventually got my dude created, so I spawned in and messed around with some items in my little room. I dropped them and they started to glitch through the floor and spin all over the place. This is a good start. At least the game was running at a playable framerate for me. That wasn't the case at all 3 years ago.

Well, the tutorial text tells me that I can get my ship on the first level, so I exit the room and follow the signs and find the ship kiosk. I spawn it and walk out to get inside. It takes me a while once I get inside to figure out how everything works since I haven't played this game in forever. I also have a suspicion that my HUD is messed up and doesn't handle 16:10 resolutions well as lots of the HUD is cut off on the sides. So, I look around my PDA thingy and choose what I believe to be a simple patrol and shoot mission. I choose one that gives me only 1000 aUEC or so because I don't want something too difficult as I don't quite know what I'm doing, and because I'm only in a light fighter craft (I had a pirate pack kickstarter, so I have a Drake Buccaneer (gently caress you for ruining the Cutlass)).

My first task is trying to figure out how to get to the mission point. The game helpfully tells me to press B, align towards the mission, wait until it reaches 100%, then hold B to quantum travel. I do that just fine. But now I'm at a planet and my mission is like 1000 km away and I just cannot figure out how to get there. It took me like 30 minutes before I could figure out how to get to that mission, partly because I can't figure out how to just quantum travel in a direction, and partly because the star map keeps bugging out and things disappear and I can't figure out where I am. Well, I eventually manage to warp somewhere else, then figure out how to create a quantum travel marker at my mission objective, then travel there. Cool. I'm figuring it out. I can do this.

I start my patrol and it tosses some enemies at me. I'm flying around and shooting them. I'm not doing that great, but it was to be expected. They tossed a Cutlass and a Gladius (?) at me. I managed to make it out of the fight with one wing/engine gone. Also, my HUD is bugged and it doesn't tell me when I'm taking damage or shield damage, so the fact that I lost half my ship came at a surprise to me.

So, I jump to the next spot and the game throws another large wave of enemies at me. I'm flying around and trying my best with one laser left, but because of how janky flying is and whatnot, I just cannot do enough damage to break through the shield of my target. And I am also really slow and my target keeps flying like 3000m away, flying in circles, then making a single pass at me. I've been doing this for like 30 minutes and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. And my fuel is now pretty much gone. Since all the enemies are playing keep-away from me, I decide to fly back to the space station and repair.

I barely make it back. I've run out of fuel, but I guess the game lets me use maneuvering thrusters or something so I'm able to land. The game wants me to pay 6000 aUEC to repair my ship. gently caress, this mission is only giving me 1000 aUEC. So I abandon my ship there and go back inside. Previously, I saw that for some reason, I had a Hornet in my ship list in-game (even though I don't own one), so I go and call it. I jump into the ship and I fly back to the mission area.

Well, now there are 6 pirates. 1 Cutlass and 5 Gladius. I manage to kill the Cutlass, since it is a piece of poo poo slow rear end ship that just sits there (gently caress youuu RSI), but now I just cannot for the life of me defeat these Gladiuses. They are just too quick and their shields too strong. I'm trying my best to punch through and kill them, but it isn't working. Eventually, I run out of ammo and the game keeps looping some sort of gun fire/reload audio non-stop. I cannot kill these things. And now my mission expired because it's been an hour since I took it.

I point my ship back towards the space station. I spool up my quantum drive. I hold B. The game crashes. I go to bed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I'ts too big for the rifle, the lens is black when you don't look through it and when you do the entire world zooms in, not just the view in the sight.
Citizen verdict? "I like it it's cool'

I'm the sight that blinks out of existence for a moment when he first aims the gun

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

This video is really worth watching. It's such an unintentionally true take on the state of the project.

Summary: A Citizen gets really excited about weapon attachments and wants to buy a few and demonstrate them, but literally every part of the game is now broken and he basically spends 7 minutes struggling to accomplish even the most basic things while getting extremely puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyLa5K6X-4

I am the whole screen zooming in and not just the scope reticule when aiming down sights at 02:28 and 03:50 and ...

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 20, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Every response is "will be", everything he mentioned does not exist and will not exist for the foreseeable future. Great argument, he totally destroyed the guy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MedicineHut posted:

I am the whole screen zooming in and not just the scope reticule when aiming down sights at 02:28 and 03:50 and ...

To be fair, a lot of games handle scopes that way. It's just not very realistic so ARMA grognards will hate it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I felt pity for this one.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

holy poo poo

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
how did games do animations before motion capture? Can't they just do some old school animating for the basic things like a loving bartender that literally no one other than crobbers cares about?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Krycek posted:

how did games do animations before motion capture? Can't they just do some old school animating for the basic things like a loving bartender that literally no one other than crobbers cares about?

I mean they could but doing it that way isn't incredibly, unbelievably wasteful so why do it?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Motion Capture is the only way Roberts can direct again.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Random thought: Why the hell is star citizen's FPS model Call of Duty with high lethality? How big of an audience is there to spend 20 minutes suiting up, taking off, flying somewhere, landing, getting out, and getting headshot when you round a corner? WW2 Online is not a role model for....anything.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Random thought: Why the hell is star citizen's FPS model Call of Duty with high lethality? How big of an audience is there to spend 20 minutes suiting up, taking off, flying somewhere, landing, getting out, and getting headshot when you round a corner? WW2 Online is not a role model for....anything.

every one of the backers believes that they'll be the ones doing the headshotting.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1152437524180152320

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I agree with Lethality when stating SC is Non-Combat focused.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Call of Duty already had "high lethality", it was either called "Realism" or "Veteran" or some other name I've since long forgotten and it removed the HUD and made just about everything 1 or 2 hit kills.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Call of Duty already had "high lethality", it was either called "Realism" or "Veteran" or some other name I've since long forgotten and it removed the HUD and made just about everything 1 or 2 hit kills.

Right, he's just specifying that iteration is what they're basing it off of.

And yeah, it seems like a weird choice.

But fundamentally the FPS mode is gonna suck regardless because there hasn't been remotely enough thought put into how it'll actually play or why it'll be fun. These things are just assumed by Roberts as long as the pixels are the right color.

The reality of having to spend 40 minutes to get into a firefight that is over in 20 seconds means only the hardcore ARMA guys would bother.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The problem is that, in order to get the FULLY REALISTIC HIGH DEATH mode in Star Citizen to be anything close to "fun", you'd have to effectively kill every other part of the game that makes it real. Add respawns, quick loadout changes, character classes, and any other concession you can think of, like what happens to the bodies when you die and respawn?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

WW2 Online was my first experience with being totally hyped for a game only to experience the most intense and crushing disappointment. It was completely, and absolutely unfun. Specifically targeted at game dads wanting to drive 20 minutes to the front in a truck. Only half the time the truck would bounce on a hill and then flip and kill everyone. Or would bounce into the atmosphere. The game is still alive I think, and I tried it a few years ago. It is still as unfun as it is ugly.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Good FPS games are good because of the map design.

They are designed to make good FPS interaction.

Star Citizen world is poo poo and clearly not designed for intense FPS action.

The closest to that is their bunker raid bullshit which lacks both good map design and good enemy AI.

In conclusion .... Hahahaha, Chris Roberts, hah ha ha hahaha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The problem is that, in order to get the FULLY REALISTIC HIGH DEATH mode in Star Citizen to be anything close to "fun", you'd have to effectively kill every other part of the game that makes it real. Add respawns, quick loadout changes, character classes, and any other concession you can think of, like what happens to the bodies when you die and respawn?

Exactly, and the backers don't understand that games have to make trade-offs on these things. You can't have a game where you can shoot people, die, respawn, and shoot people again on a scale that's fun, while at the same time some other guy is able to arrest people, put them in his ship hold, drive them 2 star systems over and deliver them to the space police for a bounty or whatever.

Those two ideas are incompatible. Which means the "game" doesn't work. If you want to have a game where you can capture people and drive them across space for hours, those "people" need to be NPCs.

Like can you imagine trying to add an FPS boarding combat to EVE?

Okay men! We've traveled 30 minutes to get to this system. We're about to punch into the battle, we'll deploy on shuttles and arrive on the enemy ship. Fight out way to the engine deck and disable the shields, alright? Lets do this!

<shuttle crash lands into enemy ship>

Alright men, lets get to---

<enemy ship is blown up by torpedoes. 20 marine players on board are dead due to no fault of their own direct action>

Respawn 4 star systems over.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly, and the backers don't understand that games have to make trade-offs on these things. You can't have a game where you can shoot people, die, respawn, and shoot people again on a scale that's fun, while at the same time some other guy is able to arrest people, put them in his ship hold, drive them 2 star systems over and deliver them to the space police for a bounty or whatever.

Those two ideas are incompatible. Which means the "game" doesn't work. If you want to have a game where you can capture people and drive them across space for hours, those "people" need to be NPCs.

Wait, are you one of those "you should design the gameplay first, and try it out to see if it's fun" freaks?

It's like you don't even care about screen captures of sunsets.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Do you think they’re still paying that dude to create the Space Turtle language, even though the Space Turtles aren’t in the game?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

There seems to be a growing consensus among the remaining non-insane backers that these quarterly patches are actively making the game less fun. None of them quite seem to cross the gap between that and the final idea- that it's not less fun because it's bugged, it's less fun because the entire design is idiotic. The closer to complete it becomes, the worse it's going to be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

This video is really worth watching. It's such an unintentionally true take on the state of the project.

Summary: A Citizen gets really excited about weapon attachments and wants to buy a few and demonstrate them, but literally every part of the game is now broken and he basically spends 7 minutes struggling to accomplish even the most basic things while getting extremely puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyLa5K6X-4

This is a very interesting video. Its like 7 min long so I posted a comment asking how long it actually took him to get this test done.

The scopes are poo poo and broken like the rest of the game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:reddit: "Ultimately nothing matters until we get SSOCS, but I'm definitely not having as much fun now as I previously did. Again, though, it doesn't matter if the game is tons of fun or a total borefest right now, I predict everything will change once SSOCS is finished and we can start balancing everything without lag/desync/ESP/etc. biasing our opinions."

New jesus patch on its way :woop:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ahh. I remember when just OCS was going to save the game. Then it came out, and was still poo poo. Suddenly, OCS was client and server side, and you are a fool for thinking client side would do anything.

Good times

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To be fair, a lot of games handle scopes that way. It's just not very realistic so ARMA grognards will hate it.

Those other games at the very least make everything outside the scope blurry or otherwise unusable.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

:reddit: "Ultimately nothing matters until we get SSOCS, but I'm definitely not having as much fun now as I previously did. Again, though, it doesn't matter if the game is tons of fun or a total borefest right now, I predict everything will change once SSOCS is finished and we can start balancing everything without lag/desync/ESP/etc. biasing our opinions."

New jesus patch on its way :woop:

As best I can tell SSOCS isn't even on the roadmap. There are all sorts of conspiracy theories about them "hiding" it but the reality is they don't know how to do it or they aren't interested in doing it because it won't sell more jpegs. I'm really not sure where the Citizens got this idea that it's going to save everything. It feels very conspiracy-ish, but it's impossible to trace because they will all state the most outlandish bullshit with absolute confidence so it's really hard to tell when they actually are citing a source.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this is the thread content i crave

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

As best I can tell SSOCS isn't even on the roadmap. There are all sorts of conspiracy theories about them "hiding" it but the reality is they don't know how to do it or they aren't interested in doing it because it won't sell more jpegs. I'm really not sure where the Citizens got this idea that it's going to save everything. It feels very conspiracy-ish, but it's impossible to trace because they will all state the most outlandish bullshit with absolute confidence so it's really hard to tell when they actually are citing a source.

Yeah, someone here posted a reddit link from someone saying to check the roadmap for it, and it was noted it wasn't mentioned. So i challenged it and got nothing back from the poster, but someone else jumped in and provided me with a link to a vid where Todd Pappy apparently said they work on stuff that isn't on the roadmap. It was a longish vid and the poster didn't provide a timestamp, so i've basically left it open as to whether its bullshit or whether CIG's roadmap is not valid. Regardless, the statement that SSOCS is on the roadmap is indeed a load of poo.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMkmGb1W-9s&t=94s

Pure imagination

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grandpa: Congratulations Mr Roberts, you really are a genius! Look over here Charlie, i think i can see our house! Oh, what's that? Its being repossessed! I shouldn't have spent my pension on those JPGs!

Roberts: There is no life I know, to compare with pure imagination...

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

monkeytek posted:

I agree with Lethality when stating SC is Non-Combat focused.

Actually my little finger tells me Star Citizen is just Non focused.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

wtf why don't you just have two doors on the elevator instead of having the entire thing corkscrew around

fake edit: it's because they'd have to change the elevator model, an impossible expense for a $250 million game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Dark Off posted:

i might have forgotten to post this timestamp here among many other things. But this reminded me of what lando said about past answers (10 ftc etc...).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJgzlnUkrbw&t=356s

lol he said "non-consensual pvp"

I've only ever heard it from B'Tak. Is this a term that exists anywhere outside of the SC sphere?

I am in agreement. It is imperative that a lot of friction be coded between players and the fun. Only true artisans like listening2day may experience fun after spending several hours mastering basic controls.

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG has begun ripping off games that haven't even released yet.

lol CIG you sad fucks