Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Two Captain Britains are needed for a country torn apart by Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Starsnostars posted:

Two Captain Britains are needed for a country torn apart by Brexit.

Betsy can be the Captain Britain who is desperately trying to take the country back to the London Olympics of 2012 when everything in the country was fine* and will try and use her mental powers to make people re-do their decisions, confident they will work out well the second time.

Meanwhile Brian will be the Captain Britain who is promising impossible, contradictory things. He never thinks things through and will often make more and more racist comments. His decisions will cause Outworld to fall apart, but since he’s the son of a rich lord, he will be completely protected from the fall out of everything.

*= Spoiler. The country wasn’t fine back then. But it was for some people.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Betsy can be the Captain Britain who is desperately trying to take the country back to the London Olympics of 2012 when everything in the country was fine* and will try and use her mental powers to make people re-do their decisions, confident they will work out well the second time.

Meanwhile Brian will be the Captain Britain who is promising impossible, contradictory things. He never thinks things through and will often make more and more racist comments. His decisions will cause Outworld to fall apart, but since he’s the son of a rich lord, he will be completely protected from the fall out of everything.

*= Spoiler. The country wasn’t fine back then. But it was for some people.

And then I guess that makes Faiza the Captain Britain who wants to bring an end to neoliberalism and austerity to rebuild the welfare state. :newdanger:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seemingly the majority of Uncanny's bodycount being in prominent Hickman written books is pretty funny.

Parallax posted:

is marvel girl jean? is there a reason she's back to that

Unknown now but the House and Power teasers have included several characters seemingly out of their usual time.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 21, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Seemingly the majority of Uncanny's bodycount being in prominent Hickman written books is pretty funny.

Unknown now but the House and Power teasers have included several characters seemingly out of their usual time.

I thought Hickman explained that as various characters just wearing stuff from their old wardrobe.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm guessing those are hickman's favorite costumes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought Hickman explained that as various characters just wearing stuff from their old wardrobe.

For some, but others are children.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that the X-Men cover is a bunch of Summerses, Jean, and then Wolverine

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Very excited! Only minor complaint is I hoped the Apocalypse in the book was actually Genesis. He is gonna be in the X-Men book sometime which is fine by me. I can’t wait to see where the books are in this new status quo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
All those lineups feel like some pulled names out of a hat.

Maggott????

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gynovore posted:

Maggott????

I know, it's beautiful.

For the first time in what feels like close to a decade, I'm excited about the X-Men again.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I dip into Marvel comics much much less frequently than I used to but always had a soft spot for the X-Men, particularly Nightcrawler, who, as I understand it, has died, been dead, and has come back somehow? I'm certain I have that wrong, and feel free to leave me in my ignorance unless some kindred soul feels like giving me the skinny. Anyway, I noticed him in Gold and read a few issues of that before getting distracted and losing the thread.

I saw the SDCC announcement of the new titles and teams, and noticed an absence of Kurt. I can't be his last remaining fan, can I?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ellaybee posted:

I dip into Marvel comics much much less frequently than I used to but always had a soft spot for the X-Men, particularly Nightcrawler, who, as I understand it, has died, been dead, and has come back somehow? I'm certain I have that wrong, and feel free to leave me in my ignorance unless some kindred soul feels like giving me the skinny. Anyway, I noticed him in Gold and read a few issues of that before getting distracted and losing the thread.

I saw the SDCC announcement of the new titles and teams, and noticed an absence of Kurt. I can't be his last remaining fan, can I?

kurt had his own solo miniseries in the Age of X-Man books and he's in the big cloud of characters in the X-Men title series slide.

don't worry, everyone loves the fuzzy dude

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given what the rumor about the big House/Powers of X reveal is I'm wondering if Rosenburg wasn't given a list of X-Men to kill before the end of his book

not to say that makes his book any better but there's no goddamn way editorial somehow didn't communicate with Hickman about what was happening with those characters months ago

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What is the rumor? In spoiler tags please.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

What is the rumor? In spoiler tags please.

mutants are immortal

the context of why and when and how, nobody knows

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gynovore posted:

Maggott????

loving Mondo in the year of our lord 2019. Sure, gently caress it, I'm down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Can't believe they're trying make the X-Men into the Inhumans now wtf Marvel
Since the Inhumans show was a massive failure, Disney is FORCING Marvel to pretend Inhumans never existed and are making X-Men into the new Inhumans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mondo is such a loving mess of continuity. i'm amazed anyone is willing to delve into that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I consider myself an X-Men buff since I've been reading way back from the Claremont era. I have no idea who Mondo is.

edit: and wiki says it's an obscure character from Generation X. Sure didn't leave much of an impression even with the clone shenanigans.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Endless Mike posted:

Since the Inhumans show was a massive failure, Disney is FORCING Marvel to pretend Inhumans never existed and are making X-Men into the new Inhumans.

Sooooooo, they're basically undoing the last ten years, where they swept the X-Men under a rug because they didn't have the movie rights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saoshyant posted:

I consider myself an X-Men buff since I've been reading way back from the Claremont era. I have no idea who Mondo is.

edit: and wiki says it's an obscure character from Generation X. Sure didn't leave much of an impression even with the clone shenanigans.

He was announced as a launch member of the team but didn't join until like a year and a half later and then was revealed to be a part of Black Tom Cassiday. I don't recall what happened to the actual Mondo. He also existed in AoA.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Saoshyant posted:

He was part of the original lineup of Generation X, a chubby Samoan surfer dude with a "Don't worry, everything's fine" outlook, I kinda liked him. Then, he was revealed to be a clone, and he betrayed the group to Black Tom, because of course all clones are traitors. Bastion killed him. Then, many years later, we met the real Mondo... also a traitor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They only ever did that in merchandising and license stuff, never the comics.

The X-Men had a big headlining summer cross-over event with the Avengers right as the first Avengers movie was hitting theaters. And as tired of him as most readers are, putting Bendis on the X-Men line was a big deal.

The ResurreXtion (or however they spelled it) was also a big hyped thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think Roth was clearly making a joke but I do think the people who act like the actual comics side of Marvel Comics had completely abandoned the X-Men for the past decade in favor of the Inhumans wasn't really paying attention.

Marketing sure, absolutely, but there's been at least like 5 concurrent X-titles running at any point in time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

And also like a billion Deadpool comics

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

And also like a billion Deadpool comics

*points to sign reading DEADPOOL IS NOT A MUTANT OR MEMBER OF THE X-MEN*

Movie rights! :v:

I can't believe that Marvel is trying to completely erase the X-Men and mutants, I say as they make Rogue the leader of the Avengers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it's also pretty nuts that they are putting black tom on an x-team, but he's still a weird rear end tree hybrid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gynovore posted:

He was part of the original lineup of Generation X, a chubby Samoan surfer dude with a "Don't worry, everything's fine" outlook, I kinda liked him. Then, he was revealed to be a clone, and he betrayed the group to Black Tom, because of course all clones are traitors. Bastion killed him. Then, many years later, we met the real Mondo... also a traitor.

Yeah, from what I recall Mondo was barely on the team and then died. Which would have made him a perfect candidate to be on Rosenberg's X-Men, I suppose.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Marvel 2017 : gently caress it, make the Inhumans our mutants

Marvel 2019: gently caress it, make the Mutants more like Inhumans

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TiniHoward/status/1152708424704114689?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That is going to be completely awesome or outright rubbish. Can't imagine it just being meh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

That is going to be completely awesome or outright rubbish. Can't imagine it just being meh.

Her screen name has apparently been "en sabah nerd" for weeks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, that's Rictor!

How vampire is Jubilee these days?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that's Rictor!

Non.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that's Rictor!

Quentin Quire gave up the tiny piece of phoenix power he got in Thor to save Jubilee from being burning up in the sunlight in Generation X.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Quentin Quire gave up the tiny piece of phoenix power he got in Thor to save Jubilee from being burning up in the sunlight in Generation X.

That was nice of him. I do kinda miss 'single vampire mom' as a concept, though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was hoping there'd be one X-Men title with more of the people I want to see on the same team. As it stands I think I'll wait until December when I'm told they'll collect the whole house/powers series, then once the monthlies begin I'll just wait until this thread tells me if one or two are particularly awesome. Does anyone know if Wolverine is getting his own monthly title, or just a continuous feed of weird minis like Logan and Loki, Blade, Cap, etc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

davebo posted:

I was hoping there'd be one X-Men title with more of the people I want to see on the same team. As it stands I think I'll wait until December when I'm told they'll collect the whole house/powers series, then once the monthlies begin I'll just wait until this thread tells me if one or two are particularly awesome. Does anyone know if Wolverine is getting his own monthly title, or just a continuous feed of weird minis like Logan and Loki, Blade, Cap, etc.

Nothing as of yet but there will be multiple waves of X titles, what's announced constitutes the first wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

davebo posted:

In general it does feel a bit like that in recent years. Kind of picking a few out of a hat for each book. One thing I notice is across the line, you do have the entire nostalgic X-Men TAS era line-up, scattered around. Plus the 80s favs Pryde and Colossus, just missing Nightcrawler. I wonder what's with the Marvel Girl thing. Not to make fun of older readers by any means, it's just interesting that you'd have to be about 65 to have read the new issues with that look. And not as timeless as some oldschool designs, seemed retro in it's appearances in the 70s.

Happy to give these a try, though the main book doesn't initially give off the vibe of being a smash hit. But that's just speculation. I think part of what made Hickman's Fantastic Four so good was that it was so true to it. Mixing up the status quo and whatnot is great, but the backbone of these books should be that it's the ongoing story of these people living their lives. Since that's considered what was so special and revolutionary about these comics at their peak. That and the imaginative adventures, allegories and whatnot along the way.

It feels like a lot of X-Men books have been mission books in recent years. I don't think that's what a main X-book should be though. Seeing a bunch of gloomy looking dudes on the moon doesn't scream that Hickman has nailed it here. Why are they on a boat in Duggan's book. I love One Piece, don't get me wrong, but you travel really fast in a sci-fi vehicle, you don't even touch the water, it does not make sense folks. And speaking of One Piece, I'm fine with Luffy getting new powers, but I hope Wolverine's Hot Claws are quietly retired some time soon. It'd be like giving Batman acid spit or something. Yes I know that sounds cool.

Sure this is a long post, I'm not the writer here Hickman, you're supposed to be the writer. He reads this right.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 22, 2019