Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

I still find it hilarious there was a small family owned steel mill. I doubt those have existed since the 19th century, everything behind part of giant companies.

My college friend and later roommate's family owned a small local oil refinery up until about ten years ago (either I'm looking at the wrong place on Google maps or it's gone now). I don't see how a steel mill's any different.

E: browsing around the area turned up https://www.columbiasteel.com/ operating for about a hundred years, employs 300 people, seems like just that sort of thing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think, in the current economy, smaller steel mills are more liable to thrive than large companies like US Steel because they can focus on higher quality niche products that China can't undercut them on, not unlike retooling your facility to handle nth metal.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Naming your dumb alt-right show The Lockdown is too on point. It's just a shame Lockwood doesn't sound like Kermit the frog.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Skipping to the finale for a second to see what's the payoff.

Wait, they didn't even move Lex's body? He's still crumpled up on the island?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

Skipping to the finale for a second to see what's the payoff.

Wait, they didn't even move Lex's body? He's still crumpled up on the island?

Did you watch the whole thing? Because he actually teleports back to his prison base at the end, whereupon Lena kills him.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So since I've been re-watching the last season of Supergirl since it's up on Netflix now, along with the other CW Superhero shows, and I just realized that all 3 shows that did the crossover this year have people that are close to their respective hero die in a horrid fashion. Arrow has Oliver's half sister that gets put down by a gang that she was using as leverage against Oliver, Barry literally loses his daughter in such a way that she no longer exists anymore, and Kara has her evil twin that was born from a mythical element from her home planet literally disappear while trying to protect her from Lex goddamn Luthor.

These shows may seem kind of light, but they have some bad endings, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norah deserved it. May she rot forever in Speed Hell.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Well, to be fair, she did try to put her vibrating hand through Thawne's heart, so there IS that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vietnamwees posted:

So since I've been re-watching the last season of Supergirl since it's up on Netflix now, along with the other CW Superhero shows, and I just realized that all 3 shows that did the crossover this year have people that are close to their respective hero die in a horrid fashion. Arrow has Oliver's half sister that gets put down by a gang that she was using as leverage against Oliver, Barry literally loses his daughter in such a way that she no longer exists anymore, and Kara has her evil twin that was born from a mythical element from her home planet literally disappear while trying to protect her from Lex goddamn Luthor.

Aw, is that what happened to Speedy? That's a shame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dawgstar posted:

Aw, is that what happened to Speedy? That's a shame.

No, she's off having her own adventures. This was a totally new character introduced this season, at least partly to draw attention to just how lovely Oliver's dad really was.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

No, she's off having her own adventures. This was a totally new character introduced this season, at least partly to draw attention to just how lovely Oliver's dad really was.

Yeah, new character based off of a character introduced in New 52 that probably more in common with Thea than her CW version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Shado have a kid back in the day that was essentially this character? I forget.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Shado have a kid back in the day that was essentially this character? I forget.

I mean she had a kid in the present that was this character. Comic Emiko's mom is Shado.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I mean she had a kid in the present that was this character. Comic Emiko's mom is Shado.

I could have sworn she existed in some form way back when but I might just be drunk.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rhyno posted:

Nora can still be conceived and born, exactly the same genetic person as the Nora that travelled back. It's just the iteration of Nora that never knew her dad, had her powers dampened by her mother, got mentoring from Thawne, swore revenge against Cicada and travelled back in time that has been erased. By doing so she can even get a new start with a better childhood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, that soul is forever locked in Speed Hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supergirl getting a new costume next season.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz83OBUHBU9/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
PANTS

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[extremely shook comics exec voice]

buh...pants i dont ge-.... wheres the boob window???

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like it, but I wonder how many people will flip out like they do in the comics when they try to give her something different.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dawgstar posted:

I like it, but I wonder how many people will flip out like they do in the comics when they try to give her something different.

Who cares, gently caress em.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This is a step in the right direction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On one hand I like most of it, but on the other it reminds me of when they made Superman ditch the trunks at the start of the New 52 which triggers bad memories and a lot of people pointed out (rightly, imo) that it feels like too much blue with just that little belt breaking it up. Maybe it'd help me if I could actually see the loving thing in full instead of with their "cool" lovely lighting.

Net positive overall though.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So is the next evolution going to be pants with pockets?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Maybe it'd help me if I could actually see the loving thing in full instead of with their "cool" lovely lighting.

Yeah, that is some awful lighting. It makes her look old.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Suit looks great but they need to show it off in better lighting. It looks like she’s wearing a crappy CW wig in that light. But otherwise it looks fantastic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/TVLine/status/1151630800707710976
MISS TESCHMACHER!! :argh:

This is pretty great news, I love what they've done with Eve over the past few seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, that is some awful lighting. It makes her look old.

nine-gear crow posted:

Suit looks great but they need to show it off in better lighting. It looks like she’s wearing a crappy CW wig in that light. But otherwise it looks fantastic.

For a moment I actually kind of thought that was Helen Slater and had all kinds of feelings.

I'm actually not 100% convinced I was wrong.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/etnow/status/1151977629869731841
Kermit_arms_flail.gif

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Jordan is expected to appear in three episodes in the second half of the season, after the annual DC crossover event, though the context in which he comes back and additional storyline details are being kept under wraps.

So not fulltime.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In honestly not terribly surprising news, Mehcad Brooks is leaving the show to pursue other opportunities.
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1152337439031267334

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess Kara's gonna keep failing upward into becoming the head of CatCo now...

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

In honestly not terribly surprising news, Mehcad Brooks is leaving the show to pursue other opportunities.
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1152337439031267334

Well this isn't that surprising honestly, I mean they've been slowly phasing out his character on Supergirl for a while now. His romance with Lena is over, and his role as Guardian is essential done now. Hell, they even gave him Kryptonian superstrength in the last few episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I guess Kara's gonna keep failing upward into becoming the head of CatCo now...

I was about to say that Lena is going to task Kara with finding out who Supergirl is, but I then remembered Lena knows.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkU-cCT70n0

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, not into the "why don't people talk to each other anymore????" thing, but drat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Curse your sudden but inevitable (and arguably justified) betrayal, Lena!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess someone liked the bangs look of Red Daughter.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh cool now Kara sounds like a 60 year old lamenting how kids are looking at their drat phones all the time. I mean I get it but it's another one of those issues that I don't trust the show to handle. Especially with one of the key scenes in the last finale being everyone looking at their phones to see her very important news story. Perhaps it's only good when people stare at their phones when they're staring at her content.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J33uk posted:

Oh cool now Kara sounds like a 60 year old lamenting how kids are looking at their drat phones all the time. I mean I get it but it's another one of those issues that I don't trust the show to handle. Especially with one of the key scenes in the last finale being everyone looking at their phones to see her very important news story. Perhaps it's only good when people stare at their phones when they're staring at her content.

I was literally in the hospital coming out of a coma at the time Season 1 was ending on CBS, so I was drugged out of my mind watching it, but didn't the first season end with like everyone getting brainwashed by their cell phones too? Or was that the morphine talking? :drugnerd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

I was literally in the hospital coming out of a coma at the time Season 1 was ending on CBS, so I was drugged out of my mind watching it, but didn't the first season end with like everyone getting brainwashed by their cell phones too? Or was that the morphine talking? :drugnerd:

They did show Lady Brianiac so maybe she's grabbing people through their phones? But yea, like that was literally one of the things The Thinker was complaining about, and the The Thinker was just Jordan Peterson, who is just the worst person.