Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOm4ISAht-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

r0ck0 posted:

Is this a good deal?

LG OLED65C9PUA Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (2019 Model)

$2199.0

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ95U7775

gently caress you GameLiquiditions for canceling my 55inch C9 2 weeks ago. gently caress you indeed.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
so my b8 went from great, to having a pixel wide vertical white line, to having a 2 inch blurry vertical band, to having a PERMANENT pixel line even with the tv off, to having no flaw at all.

the day after a repair tech said it had a defective panel and we'll schedule a replacement, the panel is displaying perfectly.

what the heck man.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I want to get a TV for my buddy who is watching stuff on a 27" monitor. He doesn't want more than a 55" TV. I have the 65" LG C8 and the OLED hype is 100% real, I've never been happier with a purchase.

So NewEgg extended their sale on the LG OLED55B8PUA a few more days: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ8JF8704?icid=WP_0_07062019

Only time I've seen this TV close to this was a prime day lightning sale for $1184. Is this a good buy? Or should I get one of the higher end TCLs that are a ton cheaper?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
B8s have been hovering around 1k (and even below) for the past few months. It's not a mind blowing deal but it's a very cheap price for an amazing TV.

I wish I had friends like you.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
yeah seriously. You are really nice.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

B8s have been hovering around 1k (and even below) for the past few months. It's not a mind blowing deal but it's a very cheap price for an amazing TV.

I wish I had friends like you.

Well he's having a rough time and I was about to get one of those $300 TCLs and I thought are you really going to have an OLED yourself and know how good it is and not get your friend one?

I'm still vacillating, the shipper sounds terrible on this one but the complaints have mostly been "we never got updates on the shipping and it was a week late but the TV was in great shape". I guess I'm willing to let my friend deal with some pain in the rear end shipping for a cheap as free OLED TV.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That raises the question of risking putting your friend through a lot of unneeded hassle vs. going for the more affordable option from a reliable shipper. I've no doubt he'd be happy as a clam with a nice TCL and its smart apps.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

Is this a good deal?

LG OLED65C9PUA Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (2019 Model)

$2199.0

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ95U7775

Didn't the C9 improve a lot of HDR and gaming lag issues? Is this something I should jump on? My old Panasonic Plasma ST50 has started to have some turn on errors like not recognizing HDMI imput until cycling though a few times and I'm getting concerned.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Araganzar posted:

Well he's having a rough time and I was about to get one of those $300 TCLs and I thought are you really going to have an OLED yourself and know how good it is and not get your friend one?

I don't know your relationship, how much hookers-and-blow money you're rolling around in, etc, but I might be worried about how your friend reacts to being given $1000+ in luxury excess when they are down on their luck. Is it going to make them depressed, or feel like they "owe you" etc. You do you and I don't mean to be a downer but definitely think the e/n portion of this through a bit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The only OLED advice you need to know is "if you can afford it, get it."

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Yawgmoft posted:

Didn't the C9 improve a lot of HDR and gaming lag issues? Is this something I should jump on? My old Panasonic Plasma ST50 has started to have some turn on errors like not recognizing HDMI imput until cycling though a few times and I'm getting concerned.

This reminds me, I have an ST50 with less than 50 hours on it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Yawgmoft posted:

I think the big new feature is HDMI 2.1, which is more of a big future-proofing feature than anything

I'm not a pro gamer by any means, but I play my PS4 Pro regularly on my 2018 OLED (55" E8) and it looks incredible, with no noticeable lag

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Apple TV stopped sending a 4:4:4 signal to my TV so I presumed I needed to swap some HDMI cables out. I'd moved things around and I'm sure some of my cables aren't particularly well specced, so grabbed a few Amazon Basics ones and had an oh so fun time hooking them up (essentially working blind in an area where there are a lot of cables running, my AVR is essentially maxed out). Sit on the couch, run the HDMI test again and... failed.

Wait, when I changed the AVR from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 a few months back, did I remember to enable Deep Color in the TVs menu for that input?

Head banging against desk time. Who knows if I'll even notice the difference, but it's nice to be maxed out on signal quality at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65C9P-65-4K-HDR-Smart-AI-OLED-TV-w-ThinQ-OLED65C9PUA-2019-model/254170006574

$2100 - is this a scam? When I push checkout it went through, in the "my ebay" page it looks fine, but if I click "view order details" it says: "This order was not successful. Order cost has not been included in the total amount. The seller hasn't received payment for this order yet"

Should I just cancel and hit buy on newegg?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just picked up an LG C9 55 and a Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar. The soundbar only has 1 HDMI in and 1 out but supports Atmos and DTS:X. Also has eARC.

For simplicity, can I plug everything into the TV then run a 2.1 cable from TV to soundbar and still benefit from Atmos/DTS:X? Thats what the eARC and 2.1 bring to the table, correct?

Planning on hooking up cable box, Nvidia Shield, and a Switch (no fancier gaming system, mainly PC games).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know your relationship, how much hookers-and-blow money you're rolling around in, etc, but I might be worried about how your friend reacts to being given $1000+ in luxury excess when they are down on their luck. Is it going to make them depressed, or feel like they "owe you" etc. You do you and I don't mean to be a downer but definitely think the e/n portion of this through a bit.

There's zero e/n, this would basically be an extremely low risk zero-interest loan to a longtime friend who just had to move and leave a TV behind.

I didn't get the OLED because that shipping company seems like a lot to inflict on someone who just moved to a new town and job. Also a good 55" TCL would be a huge upgrade without being excessive. I'll wait for a good deal on one of those or an OLED deal I won't feel conflicted about.

I just haven't personally used any of the TCLs but I've purchased 2 Vizios and 2 LG OLEDs for myself and my folks the last 5 years based on some very solid recommendations here.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

EL BROMANCE posted:

Head banging against desk time. Who knows if I'll even notice the difference, but it's nice to be maxed out on signal quality at least.

Menus might look a little better. No difference to content.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I haven't paid attention to TVs in a long time but I think it's time to finally upgrade my 11-year-old 32 inch Emerson. Aside from the fact that it's in 720p and makes everything look like poo poo, my biggest issue is the lack of a backlight control.

The room I'm using it in has terrible lighting; I have to manually crank up the brightness during the day to see anything and turn it all the way down at night to avoid being blinded. Since you can't adjust the backlight, this is all done through the brightness setting, which makes the picture quality even worse.

Do modern TVs have good automatic ambient brightness adjustment? And if so, is this a premium feature I need to look out for or is it a standard thing? Pretty much any 1080p TV with an adjustable backlight would be an improvement over this one, but automatic adjustment would be a nice bonus.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't paid attention to TVs in a long time but I think it's time to finally upgrade my 11-year-old 32 inch Emerson. Aside from the fact that it's in 720p and makes everything look like poo poo, my biggest issue is the lack of a backlight control.

The room I'm using it in has terrible lighting; I have to manually crank up the brightness during the day to see anything and turn it all the way down at night to avoid being blinded. Since you can't adjust the backlight, this is all done through the brightness setting, which makes the picture quality even worse.

Do modern TVs have good automatic ambient brightness adjustment? And if so, is this a premium feature I need to look out for or is it a standard thing? Pretty much any 1080p TV with an adjustable backlight would be an improvement over this one, but automatic adjustment would be a nice bonus.

Some tvs might have this as like a fringe feature, but it sounds like the easiest option for you would be to use two different custom settings modes on whatever new tv you get: one calibrated for bright daytime and one for night, and just switch between them depending on your needs.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My Sony from 2016 or 2017 has that, newer ones might have it too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Monday_ posted:

My Sony from 2016 or 2017 has that, newer ones might have it too.

That's funny, I have the X900F and didn't even realize I have it too. I guess I just never paid attention to it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
FYI Best Buy, in store, has the B8 55" LG OLED for $999. Don't think it's advertised and listed on the site, but SlickDeals has it mentioned and I confirmed with my local (Jackson, Mississippi) Best Buy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Yawgmoft posted:

Man I wrote a giant post and I accidentally closed the tab, good times.

Basically it has the lowest input lag you can get, you get extra tuning picture options in game mode, you get full HDMI 2.1 including VRR/auto low latency mode/eARC/120 fps.

Other new poo poo: it has an internal pattern generator that allows you to relatively cheaply calibrate your own TV.

It accepts google home and echo commands like they exist internally. It has WISA support with a dongle which is going to be a great standard soon. Airplay 2 support is coming in September. Realtek is also releasing a displayport to HDMI 2.1 converter that should theoretically allow current gaming PCs to enjoy the HDMI 2.1 features on current cards.

In summary, it's probably the best gaming TV you can get right now, and LG is actively making sure that is supports basically every next generation tech. Next year when the new consoles come out, gamers with HDMI 2.0 are going to be REALLY sad.

I do recommend the C9 and ultimately purchased one for myself. I do not recommend the E series OLEDs, as the main improvement is the sound quality- if you're buying a beautiful 2019 OLED I really hope that you're pairing it with a worthwhile sound system, therefore in my opinion the E series just represents extra cost that could be put into better speakers, a receiver, or whatever.

The 65 inch is also recommended. TV sizing is weird, the 55 inch version is FORTY PERCENT smaller than the 65 inch version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I just set the Roku app on the tv up, this is excellent!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" 2018 B8 $1449 shipped with code

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

even with my display issues i endorse this. $200 less than my purchase price

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Tax would kill a deal like that vs. the C8 at $1599 so it really depends on what your final price is.

Araganzar posted:

There's zero e/n, this would basically be an extremely low risk zero-interest loan to a longtime friend who just had to move and leave a TV behind.

Wait so why did you act like you were giving your friend a free TV before:

Araganzar posted:

Talk about misrepresenting the situation. Maybe he doesn't want an expensive TV because he can't afford it and you're just loaning him money? Like that totally, completely changes the calculus and reality of what your'e offering...

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 21, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Went and checked out a 65" LG OLED (C9 I guess) and while the picture quality is really, really nice, I can't quite (and this is first worldest of problems) come to terms with the thick/thin design as the unit is going to be wall mounted.

Is there an alternative? Flatter is better, I don't care about sound, and uniform thickness is important.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

bolind posted:

Went and checked out a 65" LG OLED (C9 I guess) and while the picture quality is really, really nice, I can't quite (and this is first worldest of problems) come to terms with the thick/thin design as the unit is going to be wall mounted.

Is there an alternative? Flatter is better, I don't care about sound, and uniform thickness is important.

I think every TV has some kind of bump on the back for all of the ports and poo poo. I've literally never heard of this bring a problem, how are you mounting it? Any mount I've seen doesn't go flush to the wall.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samsung TVs don't have a bump (look up one connect box) but I can't imagine why that would take precedence over screen quality

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

bolind posted:

As others have said this is dumb, there are no TVs that will sit absolutely flush with the wall and the LG OLEDs probably come the closest because even the thicker part is very thin compared to other designs. From how many angles can you actually see round the back of the tv anyway? Also, most major designs from other companies aren't uniformly thick, they usually taper in thickness towards the top.

Reassess your priorities.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

bolind posted:

LG W series. They are millimeters thick and connect to an external soundbar by a very flat cable and stick to the wall completely flat. They also cost an arm and a leg.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but the Fire TV Stick 4K I got seems to send fake HDR signals to my Vizio PQ65. By that I mean the Dolby Vision logo is always on, but its not just a false indicatorwatching the same content on YouTube through the Fire Stick vs Roku Stick vs the TV itself, bright colors are blown out.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
So I know where this setting is for Rokus and Apple TVs but I'm relying on the internet for this answer:

Go into Settings>Display & Sounds>Display, then scroll down to Dynamic Range Settings and switch from Always HDR to Adaptive. This should allow all HDR content and SDR content to display correctly.

There's also a framerate matching feature somewhere you may want to toggle.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I think every TV has some kind of bump on the back for all of the ports and poo poo. I've literally never heard of this bring a problem, how are you mounting it? Any mount I've seen doesn't go flush to the wall.

I was kinda thinking this one: https://products.multibrackets.com/en/wallmounts/fixed-vesa/m-vesa-wallmount-razor-thin-23400-black

But I hear all y'all. Purchase is not imminent so let's see...

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my son scratched the display of my x900e yesterday. Seems to be superficial only but despite the fact that its a 2.5 year old tv I still am a bit obsessed about its appearance. Is there a fix for something like this that can be done at home? I live 3 hours from a town where I could bring something for repairs, and even if it was close I wonder if its just something I should deal with and save the money for a replacement when the kids are a little older and less likely to damage stuff.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I am super curious as to where you live that you're 3 hours from a place that can repair a television. Probably don't live in the USA?

Anyways, you can try to buff it out with some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber, but you're probably out of luck especially if it's at all deep. Be very careful with trying anything as presumably the screen has some kind of anti glare coating that you could damage further using the wrong chemicals or methods of scratch removal.

Given that you have children, I would say the best course of action may be to just come to terms with the fact that things will get damaged, and frankly the X900e isn't a bad TV or anything but it's nothing great these days, so I wouldn't recommend losing a ton of sleep over it either way.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just ordered a 55-inch Samsung Q90r for my living room. I do want an OLED, but this is a bright room and it will be used by my kids quite a bit, so no burn-in worry and performance in bright conditions were big considerations. I will look to get an OLED when I finally sort out my home cinema in the basement. In the meantime, I'm excited to be finally taking the 4K plunge, and to seeing how RDR2 looks on this bad boy. Then I'll have to think about what 4K source to plump for next - either Sky Q or an HD Blu-ray player. Though the I hear the upscaling is really nice anyway on these models.

Moving up from a 50-inch Panasonic P50VT65B plasma, which has served me really well over the years. Now I've just got to decide what to do with it. No practical spot to put it in my bedroom, even if I wanted a TV in there, and the one spare room with a spot already has a TV there. Oh well, not the worst problem to have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Q90R. I'd love an OLED but I'd plan to keep it for 10 years and have the same worry about burn-in with statically content (games, news channels, fixed logos) and diminishing brightness over the years. It's also going in a room that's in direct sunlight a lot of the time. Family members have a tendency to fall asleep

My current non-smart Samsung TV from 2013 horrendous "black" levels and I hear the Q90R is like a black hole for ambient light. Poor analogy but it's not very reflective, I hear.